|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Melanie leaves Scarlett's party when who arrives?
2. How did Gerald die?
3. Where does Frank tell Scarlett he has to go?
4. Why does Rhett give Melanie money?
5. What does the scandal over Scarlett do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarlett learn about Ashley and Frank in Chapter 45? What happens to Frank?
2. What does Rhett do when Scarlett tells him she is pregnant? What happens to Scarlett that fulfills Rhett's words?
3. Why does Scarlett return to Tara in Chapter 39?
4. Why are the Yankees angry with Scarlett, Frank, and Aunt Pittypat in Chapter 37?
5. What does Ashley tell Scarlett in Chapter 41? How does Melanie help Scarlett get what she wants?
6. What decision does Scarlett make about labor at the mills? What problems does this cause?
7. Why do Scarlett and Rhett argue in Chapter 43?
8. How does Rhett react to Bonnie's death?
9. What does Rhett ask Scarlett after Frank's death? What is her response?
10. What do Wade and Ella experience that Rhett doesn't want to happen to Bonnie? What does he decide to do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of Tara to Scarlett. How did her feelings about Tara change through the novel? What do you think Tara represents to Scarlett?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Melanie remained loyal to Scarlett? In what ways did Melanie show her loyalty?
Essay Topic 3
Scarlett faced a great deal of criticism from other characters in the novel. Why did Scarlett receive such negative reactions from Atlanta society and those around her? Do you think these reactions were justified? Do you think Scarlett was a bad person?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)