|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can't Rhett tell Melanie?
2. Who does the funeral service for Gerald?
3. Who does Scarlett think kept Tara going while she was gone?
4. Who attempts to visit Belle to thank her for giving Ashley an alibi?
5. Why do some people believe in Scarlett's innocence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarlett realize as she goes home through the thick fog?
2. How have Scarlett's feelings toward Ashley changed? What do India, Archie, and Mrs. Elsing see?
3. Why do Scarlett and Rhett argue in Chapter 43?
4. Why does Scarlett feel that she is different than other Southerners when she attends the Elsing wedding?
5. Why is Melanie angry at the people of Atlanta in Chapter 55? How does she prove her loyalty to Scarlett once again?
6. Who are Scarlett's new friends when Rhett and Scarlett return to Atlanta from New Orleans? Why doesn't Rhett like Scarlett's new friends in Atlanta?
7. What happens to Scarlett and Rhett in Chapter 50? How does Rhett feel about this change in their lives?
8. What decision does Scarlett make about labor at the mills? What problems does this cause?
9. What happens to Scarlett in Chapter 44? Who saves her?
10. What does Scarlett realize as Melanie is dying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the South transformed by the Civil War, according to Mitchell? Do you think her portrayal of the Old and New South are accurate?
Essay Topic 2
Is Scarlett a feminist? Which women serve as examples of traditional womanhood in the novel? Use examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Gone with the Wind was written during an earlier time period and the topic of race relations is woven through the novel. Do you think that the novel is racist? Why or why not? Use evidence from the novel to support your answer.
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)