|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Scarlett refuse to buy a gift for in New Orleans?
2. Where does Rhett say that Ashley has been when the Yankees ask?
3. What does Ashley want to do at the mills?
4. During the funeral, Will sends Scarlett to the house with whom?
5. Rhett says that he could divorce Scarlett for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are Scarlett's new friends when Rhett and Scarlett return to Atlanta from New Orleans? Why doesn't Rhett like Scarlett's new friends in Atlanta?
2. What does Scarlett decide to buy in Chapter 36? How does she get the money for this? What are the conditions?
3. What does Rhett buy the children? What happens to Bonnie in relationship to this gift?
4. What does Rhett do when Scarlett tells him she is pregnant? What happens to Scarlett that fulfills Rhett's words?
5. What does Ashley tell Scarlett in Chapter 41? How does Melanie help Scarlett get what she wants?
6. What does Scarlett decide to do in Chapter 51? What is Rhett's reaction to this?
7. What is Scarlett determined to do before she has Frank's baby in June? Why?
8. How does Rhett react to Bonnie's death?
9. What does Rhett ask Scarlett after Frank's death? What is her response?
10. What advice does Old Mrs. Fontaine give Scarlett in Chapter 40?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of land in the novel. What does land represent? How do the characters, particularly Scarlett, relate to the land?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Scarlett was a good mother? Compare her actions and feelings with those of Scarlett's mother, Ellen.
Essay Topic 3
Gone with the Wind was written during an earlier time period and the topic of race relations is woven through the novel. Do you think that the novel is racist? Why or why not? Use evidence from the novel to support your answer.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)