|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ashley want to do at the mills?
2. What does Scarlett learn while Rhett is gone?
3. Why does Rhett give Melanie money?
4. Who bad mouths Scarlett in front of Melanie?
5. Why are people gossiping about Scarlett in March?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision does Scarlett make about labor at the mills? What problems does this cause?
2. Why is Melanie angry at the people of Atlanta in Chapter 55? How does she prove her loyalty to Scarlett once again?
3. What change does Scarlett see in Rhett after she miscarries? How does she feel about this?
4. Who are Scarlett's new friends when Rhett and Scarlett return to Atlanta from New Orleans? Why doesn't Rhett like Scarlett's new friends in Atlanta?
5. What does Scarlett learn about Ashley and Frank in Chapter 45? What happens to Frank?
6. What does Scarlett realize as she goes home through the thick fog?
7. What happens to Scarlett and Rhett in Chapter 50? How does Rhett feel about this change in their lives?
8. Why does Scarlett feel that she is different than other Southerners when she attends the Elsing wedding?
9. What does Rhett ask Scarlett after Frank's death? What is her response?
10. What is Scarlett determined to do before she has Frank's baby in June? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mitchell's portrayal of the American Civil War. Do you think that her presentation is accurate? Do you think she glorifies the war or shows war's negative consequences?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Ashley Wilkes with Rhett Butler. How does each of these men represent the South?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Melanie remained loyal to Scarlett? In what ways did Melanie show her loyalty?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)