|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ashley ask of Scarlett while he is home?
2. Who overhears Scarlett and Ashley's conversation?
3. Who tries to donate money to the hospital?
4. What does Rhett return to Melanie?
5. What is all that is left for Scarlett as she handles the plantation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gerald arrive in Atlanta to take Scarlett back home in Chapter 10? How is Scarlett able to remain in Atlanta?
2. How does Melanie and Scarlett's relationship begin to change in Chapters 26 and 27? What events bind them together?
3. Why does Dr. Mead refuse to come to help with Melanie's baby?
4. What is life like at Tara after the Yankees leave? What does Frank Kennedy confide to Scarlett about the war?
5. What does Scarlett find in Atlanta when she and Mammy return to find Rhett?
6. What does Scarlett ask of Rhett as the Yankees begin to invade Atlanta?
7. What does Scarlett decide she must do in order to save Tara in Chapter 32? How does she prepare for this?
8. How is Melanie's labor symbolic of the battle raging outside of Atlanta?
9. What does Scarlett find when she arrives at Tara after the birth of Melanie's baby?
10. How does Scarlett become the head of Tara after her return with Melanie and the babies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the novel's title. Why do you think Mitchell called the novel "Gone with the Wind?" What do you think Mitchell is trying to say about the novel with this title? What aspects or characters illustrate the theme of "Gone with the Wind?" What other titles do you think would fit the novel? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Scarlett was a good mother? Compare her actions and feelings with those of Scarlett's mother, Ellen.
Essay Topic 3
Gone with the Wind was written during an earlier time period and the topic of race relations is woven through the novel. Do you think that the novel is racist? Why or why not? Use evidence from the novel to support your answer.
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)