|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rhett says that the Yankees won't rape Scarlett because of what reason?
2. What does Scarlett try to do while Ashley is home?
3. What does Scarlett do when Melanie and Aunt Pittypat leave the house?
4. About what are the Yankees in Atlanta upset?
5. How did Gerald get his first slave, Pork?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the war affect Atlanta in the summer of 1863?
2. How does Scarlett become the head of Tara after her return with Melanie and the babies?
3. Why do you think Scarlett flees from the hospital in Chapter 17?
4. How is the war affecting Atlanta in 1864? What personal challenge does it give to Scarlett, Melanie, and those around them?
5. Why does Gerald arrive in Atlanta to take Scarlett back home in Chapter 10? How is Scarlett able to remain in Atlanta?
6. What is life like at Tara after the Yankees leave? What does Frank Kennedy confide to Scarlett about the war?
7. What does Scarlett find when she arrives at Tara after the birth of Melanie's baby?
8. What does Scarlett find in Atlanta when she and Mammy return to find Rhett?
9. What happens when the soldier rides up to Tara in Chapter 26? What benefits does Scarlett gain from the event?
10. Why does Scarlett's family send her to Atlanta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Ashley Wilkes with Rhett Butler. How does each of these men represent the South?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Scarlett was a good mother? Compare her actions and feelings with those of Scarlett's mother, Ellen.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of land in the novel. What does land represent? How do the characters, particularly Scarlett, relate to the land?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)