|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Melanie want from Ashley?
(a) A plantation of their own
(b) To move with her to Texas
(c) A son
(d) A diamond ring
2. What does Ashley place in Scarlett's hand?
(a) A diamond ring
(b) A bank note
(c) Red dirt
(d) A picture of the two of them
3. Why is Belle Watling scandalous?
(a) She stole money from Mrs. Merryweather
(b) She isn't in mourning for her husband
(c) She's a Union spy
(d) She's a prostitute
4. What does Rhett refer to Melanie as?
(a) A great lady
(b) A sweet girl
(c) A boring housewife
(d) A manipulative woman
5. What does Ashley fear?
(a) Melanie will meet someone else
(b) He'll fall in love with Scarlett
(c) The South will lose the war
(d) He'll be injured and have a leg amputated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scarlett try to do while Ashley is home?
2. What does Scarlett vow as the war ends?
3. Scarlett has Mammy make a dress for her out of what?
4. What does Ellen want Scarlett to do?
5. Who visits around Christmas time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarlett find when she arrives at Tara after the birth of Melanie's baby?
2. Why did Melanie speak to Belle Watling in Chapter 13? Why is she reprimanded for this?
3. What does Scarlett decide she must do in order to save Tara in Chapter 32? How does she prepare for this?
4. Where do Scarlett and her family go in Chapter 5? What does Scarlett hope to do there?
5. What does Scarlett sneak to do in Chapter 11? What does she discover?
6. Why do you think Scarlett flees from the hospital in Chapter 17?
7. How is the war affecting Atlanta in 1864? What personal challenge does it give to Scarlett, Melanie, and those around them?
8. Why are Melanie and Scarlett shocked that Cathleen Calvert is marrying Mr. Hilton? Why doesn't Scarlett want Cathleen at Tara?
9. Who comes to stay at Tara while the family waits for Ashley to return after the war? How does he help out the family?
10. How do the first three chapters of the novel portray Scarlett O'Hara? What adjective would you use to describe her? Provide evidence from the novel for your answer.
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)