|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes the fateful phone call?
2. What do Joe and Lorna fight about?
3. THE GOLDEN BOY is a classic story of _____________________.
4. Why does Eddie say that Joe is fighting badly?
5. Why are all the people gathered at the Bonaparte home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the play's title? Who was the "golden boy?" How was he golden to different people? Remember that financial status is not the only measure of a man's worth.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Odet's use of symbolism and imagery in the book as related to the violin. What does the violin represent? Which characters are especially affected by the violin and what does it mean to them?
Essay Topic 3
Odets opens the play with the story of Lorna and her desperation to marry Moody who is still married. What does Lorna symbolize in the novel? Why does Odets use her character to establish the story?
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)