|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tokio encourage Joe to do?
2. What does Moody call Eddie?
3. According to Tokio, a man who only lives on hate is _________________.
4. Joe tells Lorna that sometimes he awakens and senses something _________________.
5. What does Joe think he senses when he awakens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for the play. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Odets choose to use these places in the drama?
Essay Topic 2
Joe states that he has a few dreamlike episodes where he disassociates himself from his actions. Why do you think he does this? Are these situations really just dreams or are they really happening? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several instances of irony in the book. One example is the untimely deaths of Joe and Lorna who are attempting to escape to new lives. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)