|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men see in the newspaper?
2. Moody tells Eddie that ____________ has the most influence over Joe.
3. What does Tom tell Roxy?
4. Joe says that Mr. Bonaparte focuses on ______________.
5. What does Joe give to his father before leaving for the train station?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joe tell Lorna about how music makes him feel?
2. Describe how Fuseli threatens Lorna.
3. Explain how both the positive and negative aspects of money are revealed in Act 2, Scene 3.
4. How is Joe's loss of his musical dream impacting his fighting career?
5. How does the author introduce the subject of war into this scene?
6. Explain how this scene addresses not only the means to a happy life but also the classic conflict in a father-son relationship.
7. What ill-fated decision do Lorna and Joe make in an attempt to escape from the restrictions of their lives?
8. Contrast Frank's injuries to those that Joe has sustained in his career.
9. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 4, and what is the topic of conversation between Joe and Lorna as the scene opens?
10. How do Joe and his father finally clash in their ideas for what Joe should do with his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is much hypocrisy throughout the novel. Identify three situations of hypocritical behavior and what makes them prime examples of hypocrisy. Which characters are the most hypocritical? The least?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the ongoing conflict between Joe and Mr. Bonaparte, and Moody and Lorna. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate?
Essay Topic 3
Does Odets end the play on a note of hope or the continuance of the futility of man's struggle to live the American Dream. Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 1,670 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)