|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters is not listening to Roxy talk?
2. What does Moody tell Tokio?
3. What does Moody say about Joe's behavior lately?
4. What does Mr. Bonaparte call Roxy and Moody?
5. What is Joe doing at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony of Moody quoting from the Declaration of Independence?
2. What are Joe's feelings about Fuseli being part owner of his career?
3. What does Joe tell Lorna about how music makes him feel?
4. What is Joe's reaction to the violin his father bought for him?
5. Describe the feeling Joe tells Lorna he has upon awakening sometimes.
6. What is the setting of Act 1, Scene 3 and what is the topic of conversation among the characters as the scene opens?
7. How does Moody come to know Joe Bonaparte?
8. Explain the reason for Lorna's agitated state.
9. Why does Lorna feel a sense of loyalty toward Moody even though she now loves Joe?
10. What ill-fated decision do Lorna and Joe make in an attempt to escape from the restrictions of their lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the ongoing conflict between Joe and Mr. Bonaparte, and Moody and Lorna. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Odet's use of symbolism and imagery in the book as related to the violin. What does the violin represent? Which characters are especially affected by the violin and what does it mean to them?
Essay Topic 3
Odets opens the play with the story of Lorna and her desperation to marry Moody who is still married. What does Lorna symbolize in the novel? Why does Odets use her character to establish the story?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)