|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lorna promise Mr. Bonaparte?
2. Which of the following is not a topic of the conversation between the two?
3. Roxy and Moody tell Joe they know about ______________.
4. Who offers to persuade Joe to fight?
5. What is the boy's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author show that Lorna is torn about which man she really loves--Moody or Joe.
2. What are Joe's feelings about Fuseli being part owner of his career?
3. What role does money play in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. Why does Lorna feel a sense of loyalty toward Moody even though she now loves Joe?
5. What are Moody and Roxy's plans to get Joe to be a more aggressive fighter?
6. What is the symbolism of Joe's broken hand in this fight?
7. What does Roxy say is Joe's problem as a boxer?
8. Explain the irony of Fuseli calling Joe the "golden boy."
9. What is the premise of Bonaparte's visit to Moody's office?
10. What ill-fated decision do Lorna and Joe make in an attempt to escape from the restrictions of their lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for the play. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Odets choose to use these places in the drama?
Essay Topic 2
There is much hypocrisy throughout the novel. Identify three situations of hypocritical behavior and what makes them prime examples of hypocrisy. Which characters are the most hypocritical? The least?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)