|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joe says that he focuses on ______________.
2. In addition to Joe, who will benefit if Joe becomes a good boxer?
3. Moody tells Eddie that ____________ has the most influence over Joe.
4. Who does the boy say can fight in Kaplan's place?
5. What nationality is the Bonaparte family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting of Act 1, Scene 3 and what is the topic of conversation among the characters as the scene opens?
2. What unrealistic promise does Moody make to Lorna?
3. Why is the news of the Chocolate Drop's death the climax of the play?
4. What is the premise of Bonaparte's visit to Moody's office?
5. Describe the encounter between Joe and Lorna after Joe learns that she is marrying Moody in a few days.
6. How does Joe respond to Tokio's advice to forget about Lorna?
7. Contrast Frank's injuries to those that Joe has sustained in his career.
8. What request does Bonaparte make of Lorna?
9. How does Joe retaliate for Lorna's hurtful comments toward him?
10. What is the action that opens Act 1, Scene 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Regret seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of regret? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Joe Bonaparte. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Joe?
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for the play. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Odets choose to use these places in the drama?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)