|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Joe, life on the streets is ___________.
2. Who stops by to say goodbye to Joe?
3. Who is Lorna?
4. What had Joe seen earlier today that seems to have unnerved him?
5. What is the bad news Tom receives?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author foreshadow Joe and Lorna's relationship in this scene?
2. How does Moody come to know Joe Bonaparte?
3. How does the author show the greedy, callous nature of Joe's handlers?
4. How is Joe's loss of his musical dream impacting his fighting career?
5. What is the irony of Moody quoting from the Declaration of Independence?
6. What request does Bonaparte make of Lorna?
7. How is Lorna's life shown to be in stark contrast to the environment in which Joe grew up?
8. What does Joe tell Lorna about how music makes him feel?
9. What would the purchase of a fast, expensive car represent to Joe?
10. Explain the foreshadowing of Moody's comments about separating Joe and his father.
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Joe Bonaparte. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Joe?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the family in GOLDEN BOY. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is the Bonaparte family to most American families living during the Great Depression in the 1930s?
Essay Topic 3
Odets opens the play with the story of Lorna and her desperation to marry Moody who is still married. What does Lorna symbolize in the novel? Why does Odets use her character to establish the story?
This section contains 1,586 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)