|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Moody describe Joe's attitude?
2. In addition to Joe, who will benefit if Joe becomes a good boxer?
3. Who is Mr. Carp?
4. Mr. Bonaparte tells Roxy and Moody about Joe's skills as a _________________.
5. Joe tells Lorna that he has always felt ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the feeling Joe tells Lorna he has upon awakening sometimes.
2. Why does Lorna feel a sense of loyalty toward Moody even though she now loves Joe?
3. What unrealistic promise does Moody make to Lorna?
4. How does Bonaparte's appearance in Moody's office signify the idea that there is more to life than making money?
5. How do Joe and his father finally clash in their ideas for what Joe should do with his life?
6. Who is Siggie and what does he want Mr. Bonaparte to buy for him?
7. How does Joe retaliate for Lorna's hurtful comments toward him?
8. Describe the encounter between Joe and Lorna after Joe learns that she is marrying Moody in a few days.
9. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 1 and which two characters open the play?
10. What would the purchase of a fast, expensive car represent to Joe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the play's title? Who was the "golden boy?" How was he golden to different people? Remember that financial status is not the only measure of a man's worth.
Essay Topic 2
Odets is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Odet's use of symbolism and imagery in the book as related to the violin. What does the violin represent? Which characters are especially affected by the violin and what does it mean to them?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)