Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Joe, life on the streets is ___________.
2. Who stops by to say goodbye to Joe?
3. Who is Lorna?
4. What had Joe seen earlier today that seems to have unnerved him?
5. What is the bad news Tom receives?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author foreshadow Joe and Lorna's relationship in this scene?
2. How does Moody come to know Joe Bonaparte?
3. How does the author show the greedy, callous nature of Joe's handlers?
4. How is Joe's loss of his musical dream impacting his fighting career?
5. What is the irony of Moody quoting from the Declaration of Independence?
6. What request does Bonaparte make of Lorna?
7. How is Lorna's life shown to be in stark contrast to the environment in which Joe grew up?
8. What does Joe tell Lorna about how music makes him feel?
9. What would the purchase of a fast, expensive car represent to Joe?
10. Explain the foreshadowing of Moody's comments about separating Joe and his father.
Essay Topic 1
Regret seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of regret? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Odet's use of symbolism and imagery in the book as related to the violin. What does the violin represent? Which characters are especially affected by the violin and what does it mean to them?
Essay Topic 3
There is much hypocrisy throughout the novel. Identify three situations of hypocritical behavior and what makes them prime examples of hypocrisy. Which characters are the most hypocritical? The least?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)