|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe give to his father before leaving for the train station?
2. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 3?
3. What does Joe say he wants to buy?
4. What does Lorna ask Mr. Bonaparte?
5. Who/what is Tokio?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony of Moody quoting from the Declaration of Independence?
2. How does Joe's obnoxious behavior prompt Lorna to say she loves Moody in front of Joe?
3. How is Joe's intention to box revealed to the family?
4. How does the bell signal the last round between Joe and his father?
5. How does Lorna respond to Joe's sharing his feelings with her?
6. How does the author introduce the subject of war into this scene?
7. What is Joe's reaction to the violin his father bought for him?
8. Explain how this scene addresses not only the means to a happy life but also the classic conflict in a father-son relationship.
9. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 2 and which two characters open the scene?
10. Explain how both the positive and negative aspects of money are revealed in Act 2, Scene 3.
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for the play. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Odets choose to use these places in the drama?
Essay Topic 2
Does Odets end the play on a note of hope or the continuance of the futility of man's struggle to live the American Dream. Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Joe Bonaparte. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Joe?
This section contains 1,602 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)