|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Roxy is concerned that Joe may get knocked out in a fight in which city?
2. What is Joe doing at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 5?
3. What does Mr. Bonaparte tell Joe before Joe leaves?
4. Where is Joe going on a boxing tour?
5. According to Roxy, Joe fights as though ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author show the greedy, callous nature of Joe's handlers?
2. How does Lorna respond to Joe's sharing his feelings with her?
3. What are Moody and Roxy's plans to get Joe to be a more aggressive fighter?
4. How does Joe's obnoxious behavior prompt Lorna to say she loves Moody in front of Joe?
5. What role does money play in Act 1, Scene 2?
6. What request does Bonaparte make of Lorna?
7. Explain the reason for Lorna's agitated state.
8. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 1 and which two characters open the play?
9. Describe the encounter between Joe and Lorna after Joe learns that she is marrying Moody in a few days.
10. Explain the foreshadowing of Moody's comments about separating Joe and his father.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the play's title? Who was the "golden boy?" How was he golden to different people? Remember that financial status is not the only measure of a man's worth.
Essay Topic 2
The play is set in America during The Great Depression. Explain the significance of The Great Depression on America in general and the Bonaparte family specifically. What impact did The Great Depression have on the choices that the Bonapartes made? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
There is much hypocrisy throughout the novel. Identify three situations of hypocritical behavior and what makes them prime examples of hypocrisy. Which characters are the most hypocritical? The least?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)