|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe tell Tom about tonight's fight?
2. Moody congratulates Tokio on ______________________.
3. Which two characters are engaged in a conversation?
4. What does Frank bring home?
5. What does Tom's wife want in exchange for a divorce?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author show the greedy, callous nature of Joe's handlers?
2. How is Lorna's life shown to be in stark contrast to the environment in which Joe grew up?
3. What is the irony of Moody quoting from the Declaration of Independence?
4. How is Joe's loss of his musical dream impacting his fighting career?
5. How does the author use language to set up the tone of the play right from the beginning?
6. How does the author introduce the subject of war into this scene?
7. How does Joe's obnoxious behavior prompt Lorna to say she loves Moody in front of Joe?
8. How does the author use this scene to showcase the dark side of the American Dream?
9. What are Moody and Roxy's plans to get Joe to be a more aggressive fighter?
10. What does Eddie Fuseli want from Moody and how does Moody respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Regret seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of regret? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Lorna. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Lorna?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Joe Bonaparte. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Joe?
This section contains 1,630 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)