|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Joe's greatest love?
2. Joe has just won a scholarship to study ____________ at a prestigious school.
3. In addition to Joe, who will benefit if Joe becomes a good boxer?
4. What does Joe tell Moody about boxing?
5. Who is Frank?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lorna feel a sense of loyalty toward Moody even though she now loves Joe?
2. How does Lorna respond to Joe's sharing his feelings with her?
3. What request does Bonaparte make of Lorna?
4. What is the setting of Act 1, Scene 3 and what is the topic of conversation among the characters as the scene opens?
5. What is the premise of Bonaparte's visit to Moody's office?
6. What is the symbolism of Joe's broken hand in this fight?
7. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 1 and which two characters open the play?
8. Describe how Joe goes from the height of glory to the depths of depression in a matter of minutes after the knockout fight with The Chocolate Drop.
9. What does Joe tell Lorna about how music makes him feel?
10. Contrast Frank's injuries to those that Joe has sustained in his career.
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the family in GOLDEN BOY. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is the Bonaparte family to most American families living during the Great Depression in the 1930s?
Essay Topic 2
Odets is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Regret seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of regret? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 1,511 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)