|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Joe not tell Lorna about music's effect on him?
2. Who stops by to say goodbye to Joe?
3. What is Joe's greatest love?
4. What is the boy's name?
5. Who is the Golden Boy in the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fuseli symbolize the final break between Joe and his family and a more artistic way of life?
2. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 1 and which two characters open the play?
3. How does the author show that Lorna is torn about which man she really loves--Moody or Joe.
4. What are Joe's feelings about Fuseli being part owner of his career?
5. What is the premise of Bonaparte's visit to Moody's office?
6. How does the author use language to set up the tone of the play right from the beginning?
7. Describe the feeling Joe tells Lorna he has upon awakening sometimes.
8. What is the symbolism of Joe's broken hand in this fight?
9. How do the sports writers, Drake and Lewis, represent the two sides of public sentiment for people who achieve wealth and the American Dream?
10. Explain how Joe's arrogance and cocky attitude are masking his true feelings about his life direction.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the play and write a brief synopsis for the lives of four of the characters. Remember to exclude Joe and Lorna but you may choose from any of the others.
Essay Topic 2
Joe states that he has a few dreamlike episodes where he disassociates himself from his actions. Why do you think he does this? Are these situations really just dreams or are they really happening? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Mr. Bonaparte and Moody. Both men want influence over Joe but have their hold on him in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)