|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe tell Tom about tonight's fight?
2. What does Mr. Carp want to discuss after Joe leaves?
3. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 1?
4. What topic does Mr. Bonaparte deride Mr. Carp for bringing up?
5. What had Joe seen earlier today that seems to have unnerved him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Joe's reaction to the violin his father bought for him?
2. Explain the reason for Lorna's agitated state.
3. How does Joe retaliate for Lorna's hurtful comments toward him?
4. Describe the encounter between Joe and Lorna after Joe learns that she is marrying Moody in a few days.
5. What bad news does Kaplan get while he is kissing Lorna in his office?
6. Explain how Eddie Fuseli and Joe's expensive car symbolize danger for Joe.
7. How does Moody come to know Joe Bonaparte?
8. What would the purchase of a fast, expensive car represent to Joe?
9. How does Lorna exhibit weariness in Moody's latest declarations of an upturn in events?
10. Explain how Joe's arrogance and cocky attitude are masking his true feelings about his life direction.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Odets opens the play with the story of Lorna and her desperation to marry Moody who is still married. What does Lorna symbolize in the novel? Why does Odets use her character to establish the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for the play. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Odets choose to use these places in the drama?
Essay Topic 3
Regret seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of regret? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)