|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Carp want to discuss after Joe leaves?
2. What is the topic of conversation among the others?
3. With what organization is Eddie associated?
4. How old is Joe?
5. What does Lorna ask Mr. Bonaparte?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 2 and which two characters open the scene?
2. What are Joe's feelings about Fuseli being part owner of his career?
3. Explain how Eddie Fuseli and Joe's expensive car symbolize danger for Joe.
4. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 4, and what is the topic of conversation between Joe and Lorna as the scene opens?
5. Describe how Joe goes from the height of glory to the depths of depression in a matter of minutes after the knockout fight with The Chocolate Drop.
6. Explain how Joe's decisions are all driven by anger from the time he breaks his hand.
7. How does the author foreshadow Joe and Lorna's relationship in this scene?
8. What request does Bonaparte make of Lorna?
9. Explain how this scene addresses not only the means to a happy life but also the classic conflict in a father-son relationship.
10. What is the action that opens Act 1, Scene 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Joe Bonaparte. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Joe?
Essay Topic 2
Does Odets end the play on a note of hope or the continuance of the futility of man's struggle to live the American Dream. Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Lorna. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Lorna?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)