|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lorna tell Joe to put all his passion?
2. Where is Joe going on a boxing tour?
3. Who is Frank?
4. Why does Moody's wife call him?
5. What is Joe's greatest love?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of Joe's broken hand in this fight?
2. How do the sports writers, Drake and Lewis, represent the two sides of public sentiment for people who achieve wealth and the American Dream?
3. How does Moody come to know Joe Bonaparte?
4. Describe the feeling Joe tells Lorna he has upon awakening sometimes.
5. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 4, and what is the topic of conversation between Joe and Lorna as the scene opens?
6. How does the author show that Lorna is torn about which man she really loves--Moody or Joe.
7. What are Joe's feelings about Fuseli being part owner of his career?
8. Explain the reason for Lorna's agitated state.
9. What does Joe tell Lorna about how music makes him feel?
10. Explain how both the positive and negative aspects of money are revealed in Act 2, Scene 3.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Lorna. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Lorna?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Odet's use of symbolism and imagery in the book as related to the violin. What does the violin represent? Which characters are especially affected by the violin and what does it mean to them?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the play and write a brief synopsis for the lives of four of the characters. Remember to exclude Joe and Lorna but you may choose from any of the others.
This section contains 1,604 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)