Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Joe, life on the streets is ___________.
2. Who stops by to say goodbye to Joe?
3. Who is Lorna?
4. What had Joe seen earlier today that seems to have unnerved him?
5. What is the bad news Tom receives?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author foreshadow Joe and Lorna's relationship in this scene?
2. How does Moody come to know Joe Bonaparte?
3. How does the author show the greedy, callous nature of Joe's handlers?
4. How is Joe's loss of his musical dream impacting his fighting career?
5. What is the irony of Moody quoting from the Declaration of Independence?
6. What request does Bonaparte make of Lorna?
7. How is Lorna's life shown to be in stark contrast to the environment in which Joe grew up?
8. What does Joe tell Lorna about how music makes him feel?
9. What would the purchase of a fast, expensive car represent to Joe?
10. Explain the foreshadowing of Moody's comments about separating Joe and his father.
Essay Topic 1
The search for The American Dream is an important theme in GOLDEN BOY. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Mr. Bonaparte and Moody. Both men want influence over Joe but have their hold on him in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 3
Does Odets end the play on a note of hope or the continuance of the futility of man's struggle to live the American Dream. Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)