|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) A church.
(b) The Bonaparte home.
(c) A men's club.
(d) A bar.
2. Roxy and Moody tell Joe they know about ______________.
(a) The car.
(b) The women.
(c) The booze.
(d) The drugs.
3. What is Mr. Bonaparte staring at as the scene ends?
(a) Joe's books.
(b) Joe's violin.
(c) Joe's jacket.
(d) Joe's photographs.
4. What does Siggie want Mr. Bonaparte to buy him?
(a) A cab.
(b) A new suit.
(c) A cigar.
5. What does Mr. Bonaparte give Joe to take with him?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 1?
2. Where does Lorna tell Joe to put all his passion?
3. What does Tom tell Roxy?
4. What does Joe tell Tom about tonight's fight?
5. Joe says that Mr. Bonaparte focuses on ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how this scene addresses not only the means to a happy life but also the classic conflict in a father-son relationship.
2. How does Lorna exhibit weariness in Moody's latest declarations of an upturn in events?
3. Explain how Joe's arrogance and cocky attitude are masking his true feelings about his life direction.
4. What would the purchase of a fast, expensive car represent to Joe?
5. What bad news does Kaplan get while he is kissing Lorna in his office?
6. How does Joe's obnoxious behavior prompt Lorna to say she loves Moody in front of Joe?
7. Explain the foreshadowing of Moody's comments about separating Joe and his father.
8. Explain the reason for Lorna's agitated state.
9. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 4, and what is the topic of conversation between Joe and Lorna as the scene opens?
10. How does the author use language to set up the tone of the play right from the beginning?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)