|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the Golden Boy in the play?
2. Who is Mr. Carp?
(a) The neighborhood grocer.
(b) Mr. Bonaparte's friend.
(c) The Bonapartes' neighbor.
(d) Mr. Bonaparte's bookie.
3. Roxy said that Joe thought the violinist was ________________.
(a) A professional.
(b) An attacker.
(c) An amateur.
(d) A master.
4. Mr. Carp tells Mr. Bonaparte that no one can make a living at ____________________.
(a) Selling shoes.
(c) Being a musician.
(d) Playing sports.
5. What does Tom promise Lorna is Kaplan wins?
(a) To buy her something expensive.
(b) To take a vacation with her.
(c) To send her on a cruise.
(d) To marry her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tokio reveal about Joe?
2. What does Anna say that her father never did to her mother?
3. According to Joe, life on the streets is ___________.
4. Which of the following is not a topic of the conversation between the two?
5. Joe thinks Lorna is lost and _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the bell signal the last round between Joe and his father?
2. Explain the foreshadowing of Moody's comments about separating Joe and his father.
3. What does Joe tell Lorna about how music makes him feel?
4. How does Joe retaliate for Lorna's hurtful comments toward him?
5. How does the author use this scene to showcase the dark side of the American Dream?
6. What is the symbolism of Joe's broken hand in this fight?
7. Explain how this scene addresses not only the means to a happy life but also the classic conflict in a father-son relationship.
8. How does the author use language to set up the tone of the play right from the beginning?
9. What would the purchase of a fast, expensive car represent to Joe?
10. What role does money play in Act 1, Scene 2?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)