|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mr. Carp?
(a) The neighborhood grocer.
(b) The Bonapartes' neighbor.
(c) Mr. Bonaparte's bookie.
(d) Mr. Bonaparte's friend.
2. Which one of Tom's fighters is fighting tonight?
3. What does Mr. Bonaparte give Joe to take with him?
4. What is the topic of conversation among the others?
5. Who tries to tell Roxy how to manage Joe?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two characters are engaged in a conversation?
2. What is Mr. Bonaparte staring at as the scene ends?
3. From whom does Moody get a phone call inquiring about Joe?
4. Where is Joe going on a boxing tour?
5. What time is it when Mr. Bonaparte wonders where Joe is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the news of the Chocolate Drop's death the climax of the play?
2. What does Roxy say is Joe's problem as a boxer?
3. What request does Bonaparte make of Lorna?
4. How does Lorna respond to Joe's sharing his feelings with her?
5. Explain how Joe's decisions are all driven by anger from the time he breaks his hand.
6. As opposed to the handlers who just want the money that Joe can generate, Lorna sees Joe as a "golden boy" in a different way. How is Joe a "golden boy" for Lorna?
7. How does Joe retaliate for Lorna's hurtful comments toward him?
8. How does Joe reveal his love for Lorna?
9. What is the symbolism of Joe's broken hand in this fight?
10. Explain the foreshadowing of Moody's comments about separating Joe and his father.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)