|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ella's son?
2. How were friends of Michael's killed by the Community Party?
3. What lie does Anna tell about a journal in 'Black Notebook'?
4. What is the journal entry involving Janet about in 'Blue Notebook'?
5. What does Anna use her black notebook for before she writes her final entry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anna retaliate against the attempts to simplify her novel when making it into a movie?
2. What is the meaning of the second dream recorded by Anna in 'Black Notebook'?
3. In Free Women: 1, why is Richard worried about Tommy?
4. Why does Molly agree not to send in Anna's doubts about the Communist Party?
5. How does Anna hold herself back with her reaction to the filmmakers who want to buy her novel?
6. What does marriage mean in the Communist Party?
7. Why is Ella disillusioned and depressed after Paris?
8. What is Anna scared when she reads her notebooks again in 'Blue Notebook'?
9. What happens when Molly learns her friends are in jail in 'Red Notebook'?
10. What happens in Anna's dream about the Russian peasant vase?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Ella and Anna, and the emptiness of their lives. How are their depressions similar?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Anna is in psychoanalysis with Mrs. Marks, and what Anna thinks of the process.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze how Anna uses her recollections of Africa in her novel "Frontiers of War". How does it relate to her life? Describe the novel Anna writes about in 'Black Notebook' and explain how it relates to her life.
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)