|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ramon react when Bella confronts him about his business travel lies?
2. Over the next five years, how many times does Michael travel to Africa for Raleigh?
3. What is the best translation of the African words "Umkhonto we Sizwe"?
4. Who is the last person standing at Joe Cicero's graveside, saying goodbye?
5. What does Isabella do that is against protocol when Ramon wins the marksmanship competition?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ramon treat Bella when he arrives at the party where she is not expecting him?
2. What happens at the Mick Jagger concert that could have harmed Isabella?
3. Who is Joe Cicero, and what does he accuse Ramon of over the phone?
4. How does Ramon react to the news that Joe Cicero has passed away?
5. Why does Centaine give her diamond necklace to Holly?
6. How does Ramon lure Isabella to him at the horse stables?
7. How does Bella become pregnant, and what is her reaction to the news?
8. How does Bella separate herself from her family once she becomes pregnant?
9. What shocking situation does Bella walk in on when Ramon frantically phones for her to come meet him at his apartment?
10. What are the first instructions Bella receives from Nicky's kidnappers, and how does she respond to them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though Bella loves Nicky with all her heart, she struggles to bond with him once he is free from his kidnappers. First, describe how Nicky was finally taken away from his captors. What was Nicky's reaction to the rescue process? Then, explain how Bella, along with the rest of her family, helped Nicky cope with the news that he would never see his father again. What unconventional methods of therapy did the Courtney family adopt to help Nicky heal, both physically and emotionally?
Essay Topic 2
Spain becomes an important setting in the lies that Ramon weaves around Bella. First, describe the setting of Spain as Bella remembers it during her many visits to the country. Then, explain how Ramon uses the setting of Spain to help fill in the holes in his lies. What work does Bella believe Ramon does in Spain? What details does Ramon weave into his daily life with Bella to help make his Spanish lies more believable? How does the Spanish language affect the relationship between Ramon and his wife?
Essay Topic 3
Michael's relationship with Raleigh is an extremely dangerous, criminal one. First, describe the circumstances under which Michael and Raleigh met. Then, describe how Raleigh tested Michael's trust. How did Michael fare in this first trust test? Then, describe the relationship that formed between Michael and Raleigh as the novel progressed. What outcome in Michael's life was a direct result of his relationship with Raleigh?
This section contains 1,204 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)