|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the city where Bella's family lives?
2. What type of vehicle takes Michael to the airport when he is working for Raleigh?
3. What place does Ramon convince Bella to go for a romantic weekend with him?
4. What does Bella name her newborn son?
5. How does Bella feels when she watches her family's ship set sail without her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the first instructions Bella receives from Nicky's kidnappers, and how does she respond to them?
2. How does Bella become pregnant, and what is her reaction to the news?
3. Who is Joe Cicero, and what does he accuse Ramon of over the phone?
4. How does Bella separate herself from her family once she becomes pregnant?
5. Why does Centaine give her diamond necklace to Holly?
6. How does Ramon react to the news that Joe Cicero has passed away?
7. What gift does Ramon give to Nicky when he sees the boy at the age of three?
8. Who is Katrina, and what role does she play in Operation Red Rose?
9. How does Ramon treat Bella after they made love for the first time?
10. How does Bella treat Nicky during her first meeting with him since his kidnapping?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Spain becomes an important setting in the lies that Ramon weaves around Bella. First, describe the setting of Spain as Bella remembers it during her many visits to the country. Then, explain how Ramon uses the setting of Spain to help fill in the holes in his lies. What work does Bella believe Ramon does in Spain? What details does Ramon weave into his daily life with Bella to help make his Spanish lies more believable? How does the Spanish language affect the relationship between Ramon and his wife?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the text, Ramon uses various honey traps to lure in members of the Courtney family. First, write a short definition explaining succinctly the term "honey trap." Describe the honey trap that lured Bella. Then, compare Bella's honey trap to the honey trap that lured Michael. Finally, find at least one flaw in the honey trap system and explain how it could go wrong.
Essay Topic 3
When Nicky is kidnapped, Bella's relationship with Michael is strained. First, describe Michael's reaction to the news that Bella was pregnant. How did his emotions change once Nicky was born? Then, explain what lie Bella created to hide Nicky's kidnapping from her family. How did this lie affect her relationship with Michael? In the end, why did Bella have to lie to her family about Nicky's disappearance? How might her family have reacted had they known the truth?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)