|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Serafina tells Lyra that she is in love with whom?
2. Lord Asriel explains to Lyra that the name "Dust" was derived from a passage in the Bible reading
3. As Lyra and the bears hurry along on their mission, they are stopped first by witches and then by
4. When the children escape the compound, how do they attack the Tartar guards?
5. By the end of Chapter 20, Lyra has decided to take her alethiometer to
Short Essay Questions
1. When Lyra is imprisoned by the armored bears, she reads her alethiometer with help from Pan, who transforms himself into a firefly. What information does the alethiometer reveal?
2. When Lyra and Mrs. Coulter are reunited at the Bolvangar, what does the woman tell the girl about Dust?
3. When Lyra is with Mrs. Coulter at the Bolvangar, she realizes she is safe only as long as she pretends to know very little of what is actually going on. What does Lyra tell Coulter to throw her off track?
4. When Lyra consults her alethiometer under the insistence of John Faa to learn more about the Bolvangar, what details does she reveal?
5. When Lyra and the Gyptians are attacked by surprise in the North, Lyra is abducted. Who takes her, and where do they go?
6. When Thorold wakes up Lyra at Lord Asriel's residence in the North, he is concerned. What does he tell her?
7. Describe the battle that interrupts Lyra, Iorek, and the other bears as they chase after the tracks made by Lord Asriel's sledge.
8. What is the outcome of the battle between Iorek and Iofur?
9. Why does Iorek take Lyra to the village near the Bolvangar?
10. As children line up to get hot drinks at the canteen at the Bolvangar, what does Lyra reveal to them about her escape plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Philip Pullman creates a world in which humans cannot live without their daemons, who serve as animal spirit guides. This world is also inhabited by armored bears. Explain how the human-animal interactions and relationships enhance the story. Would the effect have been the same if the daemons were people instead of animals? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Lyra's feelings towards Lord Asriel and Mrs. Coulter at the start of the story, when she does not yet know they are her parents, and at the conclusion of the book, when she knows they are her parents and has seen what they are capable of. How do her feelings evolve? How do her feelings tear her apart? Despite her mixed feelings, what does Lyra become certain of?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Lyra's biological mother, Mrs. Coulter, with her mother figure, Ma Costa. How does Lyra feel toward each woman? What motherly qualities does each have? What does Lyra learn from each woman? Which one would you say is the "true" mother? Why?
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)