|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lyra and Roger meet with Lord Asriel in his elegant home atop a high crag, what does Roger tell Lyra?
2. While being held captive by the bears, Lyra consults her alethiometer using light provided by
3. Lyra meets three girls at the Bolvangar who tell her that when a child is taken, that child
4. After the bears capture Lyra, they throw her into a
5. Lyra and Iorek follow Lord Asriel's sledge tracks but stop at a bridge. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the Bolvangar, what do the three girls who wake Lyra up tell her about what goes on there?
2. What happens after Lyra learns that Tony Makarios, the daemonless child she retrieves, is dead?
3. When Lyra and the Gyptians are attacked by surprise in the North, Lyra is abducted. Who takes her, and where do they go?
4. Describe the battle that interrupts Lyra, Iorek, and the other bears as they chase after the tracks made by Lord Asriel's sledge.
5. While Lyra is imprisoned in the armored bears' palace, what does she learn about the king bear from a fellow prisoner?
6. When Lyra and Mrs. Coulter are reunited at the Bolvangar, what does the woman tell the girl about Dust?
7. When Lyra is imprisoned by the armored bears, she reads her alethiometer with help from Pan, who transforms himself into a firefly. What information does the alethiometer reveal?
8. Right before the battle between Iorek and Iofur, Lyra asks to meet and speak with Iorek. Why does she do this?
9. As children line up to get hot drinks at the canteen at the Bolvangar, what does Lyra reveal to them about her escape plan?
10. What is the outcome of the battle between Iorek and Iofur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The issue of trust is constantly put to the test in The Golden Compass. Show how Lyra makes decisions regarding whom to trust and whom to be wary of. On what basis does she make these decisions? How accurate is she? Support your argument with examples.
Essay Topic 2
In The Golden Compass, many gray areas exist. Lyra is often confused trying to figure out who is "good" and who is "bad." Analyze three significant characters of your choice, explaining in what ways they are good, bad, and in the nebulous gray zones. Cite specific examples to support your analysis.
Essay Topic 3
1. Analyze the author's choice of an Arctic setting to magnify the severity of what is being done to the children and their daemons.
2. Compare and contrast Lyra's real world with what she glimpses in the portals to other dimensions.
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)