|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lyra create a distraction at the Bolvangar during a fire drill?
2. In Chapter 16, who saves Lyra from being separated from her daemon?
3. While they are talking at Lord Asriel's home in the North, Asriel tells Lyra that Dust is
4. Serafina tells Lyra that the Oblation Board is funded by the
5. After Tony dies, Lyra discovers that his fish had been taken by
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the battle that interrupts Lyra, Iorek, and the other bears as they chase after the tracks made by Lord Asriel's sledge.
2. While Lyra is imprisoned in the armored bears' palace, what does she learn about the king bear from a fellow prisoner?
3. Why does Iorek take Lyra to the village near the Bolvangar?
4. When Lyra is imprisoned by the armored bears, she reads her alethiometer with help from Pan, who transforms himself into a firefly. What information does the alethiometer reveal?
5. After Lyra and Roger go to Lord Asriel's residence in the North, what does Roger say to Lyra about the man?
6. Which characters serve as Lyra's motherly and fatherly figures?
7. In what ways is the Bolvangar similar to a school?
8. Describe the prison where Lord Asriel is kept in the North.
9. Right before the battle between Iorek and Iofur, Lyra asks to meet and speak with Iorek. Why does she do this?
10. When Lyra is with Mrs. Coulter at the Bolvangar, she realizes she is safe only as long as she pretends to know very little of what is actually going on. What does Lyra tell Coulter to throw her off track?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, explain how the author weaves the themes of power and betrayal into the story. What characters and episodes represent the misuse of power? How are people affected by this misuse? In each example, which characters try to rectify the situation? How? Do they succeed?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Lyra's feelings towards Lord Asriel and Mrs. Coulter at the start of the story, when she does not yet know they are her parents, and at the conclusion of the book, when she knows they are her parents and has seen what they are capable of. How do her feelings evolve? How do her feelings tear her apart? Despite her mixed feelings, what does Lyra become certain of?
Essay Topic 3
The issue of trust is constantly put to the test in The Golden Compass. Show how Lyra makes decisions regarding whom to trust and whom to be wary of. On what basis does she make these decisions? How accurate is she? Support your argument with examples.
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)