|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had served as Lyra's nurse and caregiver when she was a young child?
2. After running away from Mrs. Coulter, Lyra wanders through London before stopping at a stall to buy what?
3. Lyra tells Iorek that the armor can be found where?
4. To prove to the Scholars that Dr. Grumman is dead, what does Lord Asriel show them?
5. In Chapter 8, when Lyra sees airships in the sky, she knows that
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Coulter react when Lyra first mentions Dust to her while making a comparison to electron particles?
2. While Lyra and Roger explore underground passages at Jordan College, they enter a crypt. What do they find there?
3. In Chapter 3, children of the region are going missing. What is happening to them?
4. Describe what can be seen in the darker reproductions of the slides Lord Asriel shows the Scholars in the Retiring Room.
5. What does Lyra learn about eating liver when she dines with Mrs. Coulter at the Royal Arctic Institute?
6. How does John Faa respond to the Gyptians when they want revenge against the Gobblers?
7. Why is Lyra excited about leaving the college and going with Mrs. Coulter?
8. On the narrow boat, how do the Gyptians keep Lyra safe from the searching police?
9. Describe some of the objects Lyra is shown at the library of the Royal Arctic Institute.
10. On the boat ride, what does Tony tell Lyra about armored bears?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze how the war games Lyra plays with Roger and the other children early in the story prepare her for the challenges she later faces in real battle. Cite examples.
Essay Topic 2
Even though Lyra lives in a dangerous world with many secrets, lies, and backstabbing, the idealism and hopefulness associated with childhood often shine through her. Summarize three cases where Lyra's youthful outlook serves as a bright light in a dark world.
Essay Topic 3
The issue of trust is constantly put to the test in The Golden Compass. Show how Lyra makes decisions regarding whom to trust and whom to be wary of. On what basis does she make these decisions? How accurate is she? Support your argument with examples.
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)