|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lyra and Roger explore the underground regions of the college and enter a crypt, they find coffins with
2. What happened after Lord Asriel knocked the gun out of Mr. Coulter's hand?
3. Who are Barnard and Stokes?
4. When Lyra enters the forbidden Retiring Room, what form does her daemon take?
5. What daemon lands on the ship's deck when Lyra sees the city in the sky while observing the Aurora?
Short Essay Questions
1. Lord Asriel is describing to a group of Scholars the expedition he just took to the North. What were the goals of that expedition?
2. What happens to the journalist at Mrs. Coulter's cocktail party?
3. Describe the games Lyra plays with her friend Roger.
4. How does Lord Asriel convey power, one of the book's central themes?
5. What is the Retiring Room?
6. Describe some of the conversation that takes place at Mrs. Coulter's cocktail party.
7. Summarize the story Farder Coram tells about his encounter 40 years ago with a Lapland witch.
8. How does Mrs. Coulter react when Lyra first mentions Dust to her while making a comparison to electron particles?
9. Describe Jordan College.
10. What is the Bolvangar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despite the starkness of the story, there are instances where the reader feels a deep sense of warmth and comfort experienced by Lyra. Cite three examples of Lyra---and the reader---feeling safe and secure. Why does Pullman include these scenes in The Golden Compass? How do they benefit or enhance the story?
Essay Topic 2
In The Golden Compass, many gray areas exist. Lyra is often confused trying to figure out who is "good" and who is "bad." Analyze three significant characters of your choice, explaining in what ways they are good, bad, and in the nebulous gray zones. Cite specific examples to support your analysis.
Essay Topic 3
Even though Lord Asriel is Lyra's father, Iorek serves as her father figure.
1. Compare and contrast Lord Asriel and Iorek.
2. Which one is more of a father to Lyra? Why?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)