|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lyra call her daemon affectionately?
2. When Lyra enters the forbidden Retiring Room, what form does her daemon take?
3. Coram tells Lyra that the alethiometer decoder book can be found where?
4. Why does the Gyptian ship head to Trollesund, the main port of Lapland?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 3, where are the children escorted to after they write letters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Lord Asriel is describing to a group of Scholars the expedition he just took to the North. What were the goals of that expedition?
2. Summarize the story Farder Coram tells about his encounter 40 years ago with a Lapland witch.
3. Describe Lord Asriel's reaction when Lyra bolts out of the wardrobe in the Retiring Room.
4. How does Lyra feel after learning that Mrs. Coulter is her mother?
5. In Chapter 3, children of the region are going missing. What is happening to them?
6. Describe the games Lyra plays with her friend Roger.
7. How does Lord Asriel convey power, one of the book's central themes?
8. Describe how Mrs. Coulter manages to convince Lyra not to wear her white handbag to the cocktail party.
9. How does John Faa respond to the Gyptians when they want revenge against the Gobblers?
10. On the boat ride, what does Tony tell Lyra about armored bears?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain ways in which the children use their innocence and goodness to outsmart the conniving, heartless adults. What message is the author trying to convey through these examples?
Essay Topic 2
Even though Lord Asriel is Lyra's father, Iorek serves as her father figure.
1. Compare and contrast Lord Asriel and Iorek.
2. Which one is more of a father to Lyra? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze how the war games Lyra plays with Roger and the other children early in the story prepare her for the challenges she later faces in real battle. Cite examples.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)