|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the children escape the compound, how do they attack the Tartar guards?
(a) Using forks and other kitchen utensils.
(b) Throwing snowballs at their eyes.
(c) Sending their daemons to ambush the guards.
(d) Calling upon Dust to overwhelm the guards.
2. After Tony dies, Lyra discovers that his fish had been taken by
(a) A Gyptian to feed his dogs.
(b) A child to feed his younger siblings.
(c) A polar bear to feed her cubs.
(d) A Tartar to feed his sick friend.
3. What daemons do the Sibirirsk regiments have?
(b) Snow leopards.
(d) Polar bears.
4. By the end of Chapter 20, Lyra has decided to take her alethiometer to
(b) Mrs. Coulter.
(c) Lord Asriel.
(d) Lee Scoresby.
5. As Lyra and the bears hurry along on their mission, they are stopped first by witches and then by
(a) Mrs. Coulter's zeppelin firing upon them.
(b) Lord Asriel and his powerful army.
(c) Gyptian fighters who try to take Lyra back.
(d) Tartar soldiers and their warrior daemons.
Short Answer Questions
1. While they are talking at Lord Asriel's home in the North, Asriel tells Lyra that Dust is
2. Lyra and Iorek follow Lord Asriel's sledge tracks but stop at a bridge. Why?
3. After the battle between the two bears is over, Lyra is reunited with
4. After waking up and finding that Lord Asriel is gone, Lyra and a group of bears take off to
5. When Lyra meets the bear king, she notices that he has a doll that resembles whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the Bolvangar, what do the three girls who wake Lyra up tell her about what goes on there?
2. What happens after Lyra learns that Tony Makarios, the daemonless child she retrieves, is dead?
3. In what ways is the Bolvangar similar to a school?
4. Lyra is traveling in Scoresby's balloon. When Lyra asks Serafina about the future of Lord Asriel, what does the witch, who is flying next to the balloon, explain?
5. After Lyra and Roger go to Lord Asriel's residence in the North, what does Roger say to Lyra about the man?
6. Summarize what Lyra overhears of the conversation about escaped daemons between Mrs. Coulter and the men in the conference room.
7. When Lyra is with Mrs. Coulter at the Bolvangar, she realizes she is safe only as long as she pretends to know very little of what is actually going on. What does Lyra tell Coulter to throw her off track?
8. Which characters serve as Lyra's motherly and fatherly figures?
9. While Lyra is imprisoned in the armored bears' palace, what does she learn about the king bear from a fellow prisoner?
10. At the Bolvangar, how does Lyra contact Roger without attracting attention?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)