|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the canteen in the Bolvangar, Lyra drops a handkerchief when passing by her friend and manages to convey to him that they
(a) Need to talk to Mrs. Coulter immediately.
(b) Must overtake the adults the first chance they get.
(c) Should not talk to the other children.
(d) Must pretend they do not know each other.
2. When Lyra is captured in battle and a hood is placed over her head, her daemon serves as her eyes. What does he tell her that he sees?
(a) Witches have whisked Lyra away.
(b) She is one of thousands of children being whisked away.
(c) She is being taken to the fish hut.
(d) Her kidnappers appear to be Tartars.
3. While they are talking at Lord Asriel's home in the North, Asriel tells Lyra that Dust is
(a) What gives witches their long lives.
(b) Sacred and should not be tampered with.
(c) What makes the alethiometer work.
(d) The reason for his breakup with Mrs. Coulter.
4. At the Bolvangar, Billy Costa tells Lyra about a hiding place in the
5. When Lyra is kidnapped and taken to the Bolvangar, who does she tell everyone she is?
(a) Betty Sue Coulter.
(b) Lizzie Brooks.
(c) Sara Smith.
(d) Emily Asriel.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Iorek becomes king, Lyra consults her alethiometer and discovers that Mrs. Coulter is
2. While pursuing Lord Asriel, Lyra and Iorek reach a bridge where they are forced to
3. Lyra meets three girls at the Bolvangar who tell her that when a child is taken, that child
4. When Lyra sees hundreds of tiny black objects up in the sky, Iorek tells her they are
5. What does Lyra learn about male witches?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Lyra consults her alethiometer under the insistence of John Faa to learn more about the Bolvangar, what details does she reveal?
2. While Lyra is imprisoned in the armored bears' palace, what does she learn about the king bear from a fellow prisoner?
3. Lyra is traveling in Scoresby's balloon. When Lyra asks Serafina about the future of Lord Asriel, what does the witch, who is flying next to the balloon, explain?
4. Why does Iorek take Lyra to the village near the Bolvangar?
5. At the Bolvangar, how does Lyra contact Roger without attracting attention?
6. What is the outcome of the battle between Iorek and Iofur?
7. When Lyra is imprisoned by the armored bears, she reads her alethiometer with help from Pan, who transforms himself into a firefly. What information does the alethiometer reveal?
8. What happens after Lyra learns that Tony Makarios, the daemonless child she retrieves, is dead?
9. When Lyra and Mrs. Coulter are reunited at the Bolvangar, what does the woman tell the girl about Dust?
10. At the Bolvangar, what do the three girls who wake Lyra up tell her about what goes on there?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)