|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lyra finds Tony Makarios in the fish house, whom does he ask about?
(a) His mother.
(b) His daemon.
(c) His teacher.
(d) His sister.
2. When Lyra and friends sneak off during a fire drill at Bolvangar, what do they find?
(a) Hiding witches.
(b) Invading polar bears.
(c) Caged daemons.
(d) Hundreds of alethiometers.
3. What daemons do the Sibirirsk regiments have?
(a) Polar bears.
(d) Snow leopards.
4. While they are talking at Lord Asriel's home in the North, Asriel tells Lyra that Dust is
(a) The reason for his breakup with Mrs. Coulter.
(b) Sacred and should not be tampered with.
(c) What gives witches their long lives.
(d) What makes the alethiometer work.
5. While being held captive by the bears, Lyra consults her alethiometer using light provided by
(a) Her daemon who takes on the form of a firefly.
(b) The small opening high above her.
(c) The faint glow of her wristwatch.
(d) Small clumps of glowing Dust.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the bears, accompanied by Lyra, fight against their attackers in Chapter 22?
2. Serafina tells Lyra that the Oblation Board is funded by the
3. After being awakened by Thorold at Lord Asriel's house, Lyra learns that Asriel has taken
4. At the Bolvangar, Lyra asks about the battle. She is told that it
5. Lord Asriel explains to Lyra that the name "Dust" was derived from a passage in the Bible reading
Short Essay Questions
1. Right before the battle between Iorek and Iofur, Lyra asks to meet and speak with Iorek. Why does she do this?
2. What is the outcome of the battle between Iorek and Iofur?
3. In what ways is the Bolvangar similar to a school?
4. Summarize what Lyra overhears of the conversation about escaped daemons between Mrs. Coulter and the men in the conference room.
5. Why does Iorek take Lyra to the village near the Bolvangar?
6. While Lyra is imprisoned in the armored bears' palace, what does she learn about the king bear from a fellow prisoner?
7. Describe the battle that interrupts Lyra, Iorek, and the other bears as they chase after the tracks made by Lord Asriel's sledge.
8. Describe the prison where Lord Asriel is kept in the North.
9. Which characters serve as Lyra's motherly and fatherly figures?
10. When Lyra consults her alethiometer under the insistence of John Faa to learn more about the Bolvangar, what details does she reveal?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)