|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lyra is captured in battle and a hood is placed over her head, her daemon serves as her eyes. What does he tell her that he sees?
(a) Witches have whisked Lyra away.
(b) She is one of thousands of children being whisked away.
(c) She is being taken to the fish hut.
(d) Her kidnappers appear to be Tartars.
2. At Lord Asriel's elegant home, Roger is sent to bed while Lyra is
(a) Told to meet with Lord Asriel.
(b) Given dessert.
(c) Asked to help prepare dinner.
(d) Questioned thoroughly about her alethiometer.
3. What does Mrs. Coulter determine resulted in the escape of the daemons from the Bolvangar?
(a) A witch's spell.
(b) Sleeping guards.
(c) An outside force.
(d) The daemons' cunning.
4. When Lyra consults her alethiometer to see how the Bolvangar is being defended, she discovers that
(a) The area is guarded by armored bears.
(b) The region is separated by an icy moat.
(c) The entrance is protected by an electric field, and Gobblers patrol the area.
(d) The station is surrounded by wire and guarded by Tartars.
5. After Iorek becomes king, Lyra consults her alethiometer and discovers that Mrs. Coulter is
(a) Burning down the Bolvangar to hide the evidence.
(b) Headed to Svalgard in a zeppelin that is armed with guns.
(c) Has captured Lee Scoresby and taken his hot air balloon.
(d) Plotting with the witches to recapture Lyra.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the children escape from the compound, they see
2. How do the bears, accompanied by Lyra, fight against their attackers in Chapter 22?
3. At the Bolvangar, how do Lyra and her friend exchange information without getting caught?
4. Scoresby tells Serafina that he will not participate in war because
5. What does Lyra learn about the ages of witches?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the Bolvangar, how does Lyra contact Roger without attracting attention?
2. Describe the battle that interrupts Lyra, Iorek, and the other bears as they chase after the tracks made by Lord Asriel's sledge.
3. When Lyra consults her alethiometer under the insistence of John Faa to learn more about the Bolvangar, what details does she reveal?
4. At the Bolvangar, what do the three girls who wake Lyra up tell her about what goes on there?
5. After Lyra and Roger go to Lord Asriel's residence in the North, what does Roger say to Lyra about the man?
6. When Lyra and Mrs. Coulter are reunited at the Bolvangar, what does the woman tell the girl about Dust?
7. Right before the battle between Iorek and Iofur, Lyra asks to meet and speak with Iorek. Why does she do this?
8. What does Serafina say when Lyra asks her if she loved Farder Coram?
9. Lyra is traveling in Scoresby's balloon. When Lyra asks Serafina about the future of Lord Asriel, what does the witch, who is flying next to the balloon, explain?
10. Summarize what Lyra overhears of the conversation about escaped daemons between Mrs. Coulter and the men in the conference room.
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)