|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Lyra, her friends, and some Gyptian children search for Billy, but end up not finding him, who else goes missing?
2. Who observes Tony Makarios while he eats his pie on the steps of an oratory?
(a) An aristocratic elderly man with graying hair.
(b) A handsome young man with sandy blonde hair.
(c) An attractive young woman with dark hair.
(d) A distinguished elderly woman with gray hair.
3. Jordan College is known as the premier center for what?
(a) Experimental theology.
(b) Experimental biology.
(c) History of biology.
(d) History of theology.
4. The lord of the western Gyptians convinces his people to collect money and gather fighters for an expedition North to do what?
(a) Gather Dust.
(b) Kidnap Mrs. Coulter.
(c) Save missing children.
(d) Hunt polar bears.
5. In London, when the pair is not socializing, Mrs. Coulter teaches Lyra
(a) Biology and chemistry.
(b) Latin and Greek.
(c) Modern dance and art.
(d) Math and geography.
Short Answer Questions
1. Coram's daemon is named what?
2. Jacob Huismans informs Lyra and Farder that the missing children have been taken where?
3. Who take Lyra away after two men unsuccessfully try to abduct her?
4. At the cocktail party hosted by Mrs. Coulter, Lyra hears a group of men say that the name for Dust is what?
5. Kaisa tells Farder Coram that
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the men who try to abduct Lyra after she and Pan run away from Mrs. Coulter? What happens to their daemons?
2. How does Mrs. Coulter react when Lyra first mentions Dust to her while making a comparison to electron particles?
3. Describe Lyra's attempts to read the alethiometer in Chapter 9, particularly regarding Mr. de Ruyter, head of espionage.
4. After the Scholars enter the Retiring Room, what does Lyra overhear while she remains hidden in the wardrobe?
5. When Pan swims with dolphins, what does Lyra's new friend, Jerry the seaman, tell her about daemons finally settling?
6. How does Lyra feel after learning that Mrs. Coulter is her mother?
7. On the boat ride, what does Tony tell Lyra about armored bears?
8. On the narrow boat, how do the Gyptians keep Lyra safe from the searching police?
9. While Lyra and Roger explore underground passages at Jordan College, they enter a crypt. What do they find there?
10. Describe the games Lyra plays with her friend Roger.
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)