|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The golden compass has the ability to do what?
(a) Return to its owner.
(b) Map out coordinates.
(c) Erase memories.
(d) Tell the truth.
2. Lyra and her daemon try to escape the Retiring Room, but when they hear someone coming, they are forced to hide again. Where do they hide the second time?
(b) Desk drawer.
(c) Air duct.
(d) Secret room.
3. While learning about electrons, Lyra tells Mrs. Coulter that these particles are
(a) Nothing like Dust.
(b) Repelled by Dust.
(c) Magnetically attracted to Dust.
(d) Similar to Dust.
4. With their boat, the Costas take Lyra to a meeting place that they call
5. When Lyra and Roger explore the underground regions of the college and enter a crypt, they find coffins with
(a) Nothing inside.
(b) Past Masters inside.
(c) Daemon corpses.
(d) The word "Dust" written on each.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Barnard and Stokes?
2. How does Lyra feel about Mrs. Coulter being her mother?
3. Lord Asriel is said to look like what when he yawns?
4. When Lyra's daemon tires of living in luxury with Mrs. Coulter, he tries to convince Lyra to
5. When Lyra first sits down with Faa and Coram, what do they ask her to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. On the boat ride, what does Tony tell Lyra about armored bears?
2. In her hiding place in the Retiring Room, Lyra eventually falls asleep. What does Lord Asriel talk about with Lyra after he wakes her up?
3. What does Lyra learn about eating liver when she dines with Mrs. Coulter at the Royal Arctic Institute?
4. What is the Retiring Room?
5. While Lyra and Roger explore underground passages at Jordan College, they enter a crypt. What do they find there?
6. Describe Lord Asriel's reaction when Lyra bolts out of the wardrobe in the Retiring Room.
7. What is the Bolvangar?
8. What happens to the men who try to abduct Lyra after she and Pan run away from Mrs. Coulter? What happens to their daemons?
9. How does Lyra feel after learning that Mrs. Coulter is her mother?
10. Describe Lyra's and Lord Asriel's daemons.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)