|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lyra's closest friend is a
(a) Stable hand.
(b) Kitchen helper.
(c) Errand boy.
(d) Gardening assistant.
2. Why does the Gyptian ship head to Trollesund, the main port of Lapland?
(a) The Gyptians must gather supplies there before continuing.
(b) John Faa wants to visit a trusted friend there.
(c) The missing children are presumed to be kept there.
(d) John Faa knows of a witch consulate there.
3. When Faa and Coram speak to Lyra, why is she frightened at first?
(a) Their water dragon tattoos frighten her.
(b) She fears they will scold her for having stolen a boat.
(c) She has been told never to trust Gyptians.
(d) She fears they will turn her over to Mrs. Coulter.
4. When Lyra first sits down with Faa and Coram, what do they ask her to do?
(a) Remain with the Gyptians until they tell her otherwise.
(b) Eat and rest before traveling to the North.
(c) Tell them about Mrs. Coulter and the Gobblers.
(d) Tell no one what she knows about Dust.
5. Lyra believes her parents died in an airship accident, but what do Faa and Coram reveal to her about her father?
(a) He is the Master.
(b) He lives in India.
(c) He is hiding in South America.
(d) He is Lord Asriel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do several Gyptians give to their leader prior to embarking on a rescue effort?
2. While learning about electrons, Lyra tells Mrs. Coulter that these particles are
3. Coram's daemon is named what?
4. Jacob Huismans informs Lyra and Farder that the missing children have been taken where?
5. What happened after Lord Asriel knocked the gun out of Mr. Coulter's hand?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jordan College.
2. Describe the games Lyra plays with her friend Roger.
3. Describe some of the objects Lyra is shown at the library of the Royal Arctic Institute.
4. Why is Lyra excited about leaving the college and going with Mrs. Coulter?
5. What is the Retiring Room?
6. How does Lord Asriel convey power, one of the book's central themes?
7. What happens to the men who try to abduct Lyra after she and Pan run away from Mrs. Coulter? What happens to their daemons?
8. How does John Faa respond to the Gyptians when they want revenge against the Gobblers?
9. Why does the Master want to see Lyra before she leaves the college with Mrs. Coulter?
10. Describe Lyra's encounter with a giant gray goose while she is on the deck of the ship looking at the Aurora.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)