|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To conceal Lyra from the daemons of the police who are searching for her, the Costas hide her in their boat in a secret compartment made of what?
(b) Cherry wood.
(c) Cast iron.
(d) Stainless steel.
2. When Lyra overhears a whispered conversation between the Master and the Librarian, she learns that they are trying to do what to Lord Asriel?
(a) Bring him to his senses.
(b) Humiliate him.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Kick him out.
3. When Lyra makes a statement regarding electrons and Dust, Mrs. Coulter's daemon becomes what?
4. When Lyra's daemon tires of living in luxury with Mrs. Coulter, he tries to convince Lyra to
(a) Behave poorly.
(b) Run away.
(c) Break expensive items.
(d) Pretend she is sick.
5. At the institute library, Lyra is shown several items including a
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lyra is taken to a narrow boat captained by Ma Costa, the girl
2. Kaisa is whose daemon?
3. The gentleman who pays for Lyra's items at the food stall offers her something she refuses. What does he offer her?
4. What does Mrs. Coulter ask Lyra not to wear to the cocktail party she throws?
5. Jacob Huismans informs Lyra and Farder that the missing children have been taken where?
Short Essay Questions
1. While Lyra and Roger explore underground passages at Jordan College, they enter a crypt. What do they find there?
2. While Lyra travels on the narrow boat with the Gyptians, what type of work does she do for Ma Costa and the others?
3. On the boat ride, what does Tony tell Lyra about armored bears?
4. In her hiding place in the Retiring Room, Lyra eventually falls asleep. What does Lord Asriel talk about with Lyra after he wakes her up?
5. Lord Asriel is describing to a group of Scholars the expedition he just took to the North. What were the goals of that expedition?
6. Lyra feels at home with the Gyptians and begins talking like them, but Ma tells her she is not Gyptian. Summarize the dialogue Lyra and Ma have on this matter.
7. Summarize the story Farder Coram tells about his encounter 40 years ago with a Lapland witch.
8. Describe Lord Asriel's reaction when Lyra bolts out of the wardrobe in the Retiring Room.
9. How does Lyra feel after learning that Mrs. Coulter is her mother?
10. Describe Farder Coram's daemon as seen through Lyra's eyes.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)