|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kaisa tells Farder Coram that
(a) The whereabouts of the children are unknown.
(b) The Oblation Board is planning a siege.
(c) Her mistress will not help him.
(d) Not all clans will assist his efforts.
2. Who is Adele Starminster?
(a) Musician from Cambridge.
(b) Journalist from Oxford.
(c) Scientist from Oxford.
(d) Professor from Cambridge.
3. While looking for shelter in the streets of London, Lyra is caught by men with a
4. Colonel Carborne is the first man to do what?
(a) Find Dust at the North Pole.
(b) Decipher the magnetic nature of the North Pole.
(c) Reach the North Pole with a team of dogs.
(d) Cross the North Pole in a balloon.
5. What daemon lands on the ship's deck when Lyra sees the city in the sky while observing the Aurora?
(b) Sea gull.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lyra and her friends overhear Ma Costa yelling at a horse trader about the disappearance of her
2. Dr. Broken Arrow is a Skraeling who mapped what?
3. When Faa and Coram speak to Lyra, why is she frightened at first?
4. After Lyra, her friends, and some Gyptian children search for Billy, but end up not finding him, who else goes missing?
5. When Lyra reluctantly gives Mrs. Coulter a kiss on the cheek, what does she smell on the woman's skin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Coulter react when Lyra first mentions Dust to her while making a comparison to electron particles?
2. In her hiding place in the Retiring Room, Lyra eventually falls asleep. What does Lord Asriel talk about with Lyra after he wakes her up?
3. Why is Lyra excited about leaving the college and going with Mrs. Coulter?
4. Describe how Mrs. Coulter manages to convince Lyra not to wear her white handbag to the cocktail party.
5. Describe Farder Coram's daemon as seen through Lyra's eyes.
6. Tony tells Lyra that the North is a dangerous location plagued by Nalkainens, Windsuckers, and Breathless Ones. Describe what these are, according to Tony.
7. What do John Faa and Farder Coram explain to Lyra about her parents?
8. In Chapter 3, children of the region are going missing. What is happening to them?
9. What is the Bolvangar?
10. Summarize the story Farder Coram tells about his encounter 40 years ago with a Lapland witch.
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)