|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the new king of the bears, what does Iorek Byrnison order regarding human prisoners?
(a) Their release.
(b) Their execution.
(c) That they be banished.
(d) That they be given fair trials.
2. After the bears capture Lyra, they throw her into a
(a) Slippery pit.
(b) Dark cell.
(c) Narrow crevice.
(d) Deep canyon.
3. Scoresby tells Serafina that he will not participate in war because
(a) He is a trader and a teacher, not a soldier.
(b) He has been paid for transportation only, not war.
(c) He refuses to take sides.
(d) It is against his religious philosophy.
4. At the Bolvangar, how do Lyra and her friend exchange information without getting caught?
(a) Through Lyra's alethiometer.
(b) By passing notes.
(c) Through their daemons.
(d) By communicating telepathically.
5. What does Lyra learn about the ages of witches?
(a) A human year is equivalent to ten witch years.
(b) They never die.
(c) Nobody keeps track of a witch's age.
(d) They live hundreds of years.
6. While pursuing Lord Asriel, Lyra and Iorek reach a bridge where they are forced to
(a) Admit defeat.
(d) Consult the alethiometer.
7. From her hiding place in the Bolvangar, Lyra hears Mrs. Coulter talk about a new separating machine with a blade made of
(a) Aluminum and cobalt.
(b) Gold and silver.
(c) Manganese and titanium.
(d) Lead and copper.
8. Mrs. Coulter thinks she is opening a tin containing the alethiometer, but instead, the spy-fly comes out and attacks
(a) The men in the conference room.
(b) Every daemon it encounters.
(c) Lyra and her daemon.
(d) Mrs. Coulter and her daemon.
9. At the canteen in the Bolvangar, Lyra drops a handkerchief when passing by her friend and manages to convey to him that they
(a) Need to talk to Mrs. Coulter immediately.
(b) Must pretend they do not know each other.
(c) Should not talk to the other children.
(d) Must overtake the adults the first chance they get.
10. At the Bolvangar, Billy Costa tells Lyra about a hiding place in the
11. Lord Asriel explains to Lyra that the name "Dust" was derived from a passage in the Bible reading
(a) The winds shalt scatter the dust and foil their plans.
(b) For dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
(c) Like the dust of the earth, thou shalt scatter.
(d) Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.
12. When Lyra consults her alethiometer to see how the Bolvangar is being defended, she discovers that
(a) The area is guarded by armored bears.
(b) The region is separated by an icy moat.
(c) The entrance is protected by an electric field, and Gobblers patrol the area.
(d) The station is surrounded by wire and guarded by Tartars.
13. Lyra meets three girls at the Bolvangar who tell her that when a child is taken, that child
(a) Comes back with two daemons.
(b) Becomes a daemon.
(c) Returns with a scar across the abdomen.
(d) Never returns.
14. By the end of Chapter 20, Lyra has decided to take her alethiometer to
(a) Lee Scoresby.
(b) Mrs. Coulter.
(c) Lord Asriel.
15. Serafina tells Lyra that the Oblation Board is funded by the
Short Answer Questions
1. After waking up and finding that Lord Asriel is gone, Lyra and a group of bears take off to
2. After Tony dies, Lyra discovers that his fish had been taken by
3. When Lyra and Roger meet with Lord Asriel in his elegant home atop a high crag, what does Roger tell Lyra?
4. At Lord Asriel's elegant home, Roger is sent to bed while Lyra is
5. In the fight between Iorek and Iofur, Iorek is soon injured where?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)