|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lyra sees hundreds of tiny black objects up in the sky, Iorek tells her they are
(a) Anti-matter particles.
(b) Dust particles.
2. When the daemons escape from the Bolvangar, why is the alarm not heard?
(a) It is set to "Silent Mode."
(b) It sounds, but nobody recognizes it.
(c) The daemons disengaged it.
(d) It is drowned out by the fire alarm.
3. While being held by the bears, Lyra remembers that more than anything in the world, the bear king wants
(a) A daemon.
(b) An alethiometer.
(c) A bride.
4. When Lyra climbs into her hiding place in the ceiling of the Bolvangar, she can hear Mrs. Coulter and three men in a conference room discussing what?
(a) Escaped daemons.
(b) A kidnapped Lord Asriel.
(c) Imprisoned Gyptians.
(d) Runaway children.
5. While being held captive by the bears, Lyra consults her alethiometer using light provided by
(a) Small clumps of glowing Dust.
(b) The small opening high above her.
(c) Her daemon who takes on the form of a firefly.
(d) The faint glow of her wristwatch.
6. After the bears capture Lyra, they throw her into a
(a) Dark cell.
(b) Slippery pit.
(c) Deep canyon.
(d) Narrow crevice.
7. When Lyra and Roger meet with Lord Asriel in his elegant home atop a high crag, what does Roger tell Lyra?
(a) He has lost his daemon.
(b) He is happy to be in such a comfortable house.
(c) He is afraid of Lord Asriel.
(d) Mrs. Coulter is ten times scarier than Lord Asriel.
8. What does Lyra learn about the ages of witches?
(a) A human year is equivalent to ten witch years.
(b) They never die.
(c) They live hundreds of years.
(d) Nobody keeps track of a witch's age.
9. How is Lyra discovered when she is hiding in the Bolvangar listening to the men in the conference room?
(a) She falls through the ceiling.
(b) The men's daemons find her.
(c) She sneezes.
(d) Her foot slips and makes a noise.
10. How does Lyra create an explosion in the compound's kitchen when she escapes from Mrs. Coulter?
(a) With a burner and flour.
(b) Using vinegar and baking soda.
(c) Using oil and vinegar.
(d) With a burner and oil.
11. When Lyra's hood is removed by her kidnappers, who addresses her?
(a) A Gobbler threatens her.
(b) A man speaking broken English asks her name.
(c) A woman with a cackling voice laughs at her.
(d) Mrs. Coulter talks to her disapprovingly.
12. At the Bolvangar, when Mrs. Coulter asks Lyra about the girl's disappearance in London, what story does Lyra fabricate?
(a) Lord Asriel told her she was in danger and then took her away.
(b) The police kidnapped and imprisoned her for weeks.
(c) A couple took her, and then Gobblers captured her.
(d) The last thing she remembers was falling into a canal.
13. What does Mrs. Coulter determine resulted in the escape of the daemons from the Bolvangar?
(a) Sleeping guards.
(b) A witch's spell.
(c) An outside force.
(d) The daemons' cunning.
14. Serafina tells Lyra that the Oblation Board is funded by the
15. At Lord Asriel's elegant home, Roger is sent to bed while Lyra is
(a) Told to meet with Lord Asriel.
(b) Questioned thoroughly about her alethiometer.
(c) Asked to help prepare dinner.
(d) Given dessert.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Lyra and the bears hurry along on their mission, they are stopped first by witches and then by
2. After Iorek becomes king, Lyra consults her alethiometer and discovers that Mrs. Coulter is
3. Who is Iofur Rakinson?
4. When Lyra meets the bear king, she notices that he has a doll that resembles whom?
5. After consulting her alethiometer while imprisoned by the bears, Lyra learns that someone is coming to rescue her. Who?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)