|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lyra is able to answer all of the bear king's difficult questions by consulting
(a) Her friend Iorek.
(b) Her daemon.
(c) The witches.
(d) The alethiometer.
2. As Lyra and the bears hurry along on their mission, they are stopped first by witches and then by
(a) Gyptian fighters who try to take Lyra back.
(b) Tartar soldiers and their warrior daemons.
(c) Lord Asriel and his powerful army.
(d) Mrs. Coulter's zeppelin firing upon them.
3. When Lyra finds Tony Makarios in the fish house, whom does he ask about?
(a) His mother.
(b) His sister.
(c) His teacher.
(d) His daemon.
4. Who is Iofur Rakinson?
(a) Mentor of John Faa.
(b) Leader of the Tartars.
(c) Servant of Lord Asriel.
(d) King of the bears.
5. When Lyra tries giving her alethiometer to Lord Asriel, he
(a) Shows no interest in it.
(b) Passes out.
(c) Tells her it is evil.
(d) Gratefully takes it.
6. When Lyra's hood is removed by her kidnappers, who addresses her?
(a) Mrs. Coulter talks to her disapprovingly.
(b) A Gobbler threatens her.
(c) A man speaking broken English asks her name.
(d) A woman with a cackling voice laughs at her.
7. While they are talking at Lord Asriel's home in the North, Asriel tells Lyra that Dust is
(a) Sacred and should not be tampered with.
(b) What gives witches their long lives.
(c) What makes the alethiometer work.
(d) The reason for his breakup with Mrs. Coulter.
8. Serafina tells Lyra that she is in love with whom?
(a) Farder Coram.
(b) Lee Scoresby.
(c) Lord Asriel.
(d) Iorek Birnbaum.
9. Lyra and Iorek follow Lord Asriel's sledge tracks but stop at a bridge. Why?
(a) The tracks veer off sharply to the left.
(b) A Tartar guard blocks their path.
(c) A central part of the bridge is missing.
(d) It is too small for Iorek to cross.
10. At the Bolvangar, when Mrs. Coulter asks Lyra about the girl's disappearance in London, what story does Lyra fabricate?
(a) The police kidnapped and imprisoned her for weeks.
(b) Lord Asriel told her she was in danger and then took her away.
(c) The last thing she remembers was falling into a canal.
(d) A couple took her, and then Gobblers captured her.
11. After Tony dies, Lyra discovers that his fish had been taken by
(a) A child to feed his younger siblings.
(b) A polar bear to feed her cubs.
(c) A Tartar to feed his sick friend.
(d) A Gyptian to feed his dogs.
12. How does Lyra create an explosion in the compound's kitchen when she escapes from Mrs. Coulter?
(a) With a burner and flour.
(b) Using oil and vinegar.
(c) Using vinegar and baking soda.
(d) With a burner and oil.
13. When Lyra climbs into her hiding place in the ceiling of the Bolvangar, she can hear Mrs. Coulter and three men in a conference room discussing what?
(a) Imprisoned Gyptians.
(b) Runaway children.
(c) A kidnapped Lord Asriel.
(d) Escaped daemons.
14. What does Iofur do after noticing Iorek's injury suffered in battle?
(a) Defeats him.
(b) Taunts him.
(c) Allows him to rest a minute.
(d) Gets him medical attention.
15. At Lord Asriel's elegant home, Roger is sent to bed while Lyra is
(a) Asked to help prepare dinner.
(b) Questioned thoroughly about her alethiometer.
(c) Told to meet with Lord Asriel.
(d) Given dessert.
Short Answer Questions
1. Scoresby tells Serafina that he will not participate in war because
2. How does Lyra create a distraction at the Bolvangar during a fire drill?
3. When Lyra sees hundreds of tiny black objects up in the sky, Iorek tells her they are
4. After waking up and finding that Lord Asriel is gone, Lyra and a group of bears take off to
5. When Lyra and friends sneak off during a fire drill at Bolvangar, what do they find?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)