|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Lyra and the bears hurry along on their mission, they are stopped first by witches and then by
(a) Lord Asriel and his powerful army.
(b) Mrs. Coulter's zeppelin firing upon them.
(c) Tartar soldiers and their warrior daemons.
(d) Gyptian fighters who try to take Lyra back.
2. In Chapter 16, who saves Lyra from being separated from her daemon?
(a) Billy Costa.
(b) Lord Asriel.
(d) Mrs. Coulter.
3. How does Lyra create an explosion in the compound's kitchen when she escapes from Mrs. Coulter?
(a) With a burner and flour.
(b) Using vinegar and baking soda.
(c) With a burner and oil.
(d) Using oil and vinegar.
4. While being held by the bears, Lyra remembers that more than anything in the world, the bear king wants
(a) A daemon.
(c) An alethiometer.
(d) A bride.
5. When Lyra is taken to the canteen at the Bolvangar, whom does she see?
6. From her hiding place in the Bolvangar, Lyra hears Mrs. Coulter talk about a new separating machine with a blade made of
(a) Lead and copper.
(b) Gold and silver.
(c) Aluminum and cobalt.
(d) Manganese and titanium.
7. Mrs. Coulter thinks she is opening a tin containing the alethiometer, but instead, the spy-fly comes out and attacks
(a) Lyra and her daemon.
(b) Mrs. Coulter and her daemon.
(c) Every daemon it encounters.
(d) The men in the conference room.
8. When Lyra meets the bear king, she notices that he has a doll that resembles whom?
(a) Ma Costa.
(c) Mrs. Coulter.
9. At the Bolvangar, how do Lyra and her friend exchange information without getting caught?
(a) Through Lyra's alethiometer.
(b) By passing notes.
(c) By communicating telepathically.
(d) Through their daemons.
10. When the daemons escape from the Bolvangar, why is the alarm not heard?
(a) It sounds, but nobody recognizes it.
(b) The daemons disengaged it.
(c) It is drowned out by the fire alarm.
(d) It is set to "Silent Mode."
11. Lee Scoresby explains to Lyra that to get to Svalbard, one would need a
(a) Hot-air balloon.
(b) Large boat.
12. Lyra is able to answer all of the bear king's difficult questions by consulting
(a) The witches.
(b) Her daemon.
(c) The alethiometer.
(d) Her friend Iorek.
13. While being held captive by the bears, Lyra consults her alethiometer using light provided by
(a) Small clumps of glowing Dust.
(b) The small opening high above her.
(c) Her daemon who takes on the form of a firefly.
(d) The faint glow of her wristwatch.
14. When Lyra is kidnapped and taken to the Bolvangar, who does she tell everyone she is?
(a) Emily Asriel.
(b) Betty Sue Coulter.
(c) Lizzie Brooks.
(d) Sara Smith.
15. Lyra meets three girls at the Bolvangar who tell her that when a child is taken, that child
(a) Returns with a scar across the abdomen.
(b) Comes back with two daemons.
(c) Never returns.
(d) Becomes a daemon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are severed children?
2. When Lyra and Roger meet with Lord Asriel in his elegant home atop a high crag, what does Roger tell Lyra?
3. When the kidnappers take Lyra to the Bolvangar, who pays them?
4. How do the bears, accompanied by Lyra, fight against their attackers in Chapter 22?
5. After the battle between the two bears is over, Lyra is reunited with
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)