|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While being held captive by the bears, Lyra consults her alethiometer using light provided by
(a) The small opening high above her.
(b) Small clumps of glowing Dust.
(c) Her daemon who takes on the form of a firefly.
(d) The faint glow of her wristwatch.
2. Lord Asriel explains to Lyra that the name "Dust" was derived from a passage in the Bible reading
(a) Like the dust of the earth, thou shalt scatter.
(b) For dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
(c) Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.
(d) The winds shalt scatter the dust and foil their plans.
3. Lyra is able to answer all of the bear king's difficult questions by consulting
(a) The alethiometer.
(b) Her friend Iorek.
(c) Her daemon.
(d) The witches.
4. While they are talking at Lord Asriel's home in the North, Asriel tells Lyra that Dust is
(a) What makes the alethiometer work.
(b) What gives witches their long lives.
(c) The reason for his breakup with Mrs. Coulter.
(d) Sacred and should not be tampered with.
5. When Lyra asks Serafina about the future of Lord Asriel, she tells the girl that Asriel will not return to the college because
(a) The Scholars have forbidden him from returning.
(b) There is a good chance he will not live long enough to return.
(c) There is work to be done in other worlds.
(d) The Scholars have betrayed him.
6. When Lyra consults her alethiometer to see how the Bolvangar is being defended, she discovers that
(a) The station is surrounded by wire and guarded by Tartars.
(b) The area is guarded by armored bears.
(c) The region is separated by an icy moat.
(d) The entrance is protected by an electric field, and Gobblers patrol the area.
7. When Lyra is kidnapped and taken to the Bolvangar, who does she tell everyone she is?
(a) Emily Asriel.
(b) Betty Sue Coulter.
(c) Sara Smith.
(d) Lizzie Brooks.
8. Mrs. Coulter thinks she is opening a tin containing the alethiometer, but instead, the spy-fly comes out and attacks
(a) Every daemon it encounters.
(b) Lyra and her daemon.
(c) Mrs. Coulter and her daemon.
(d) The men in the conference room.
9. After the battle between the two bears is over, Lyra is reunited with
10. Who is Iofur Rakinson?
(a) King of the bears.
(b) Leader of the Tartars.
(c) Mentor of John Faa.
(d) Servant of Lord Asriel.
11. When Lyra sees hundreds of tiny black objects up in the sky, Iorek tells her they are
(b) Anti-matter particles.
(c) Dust particles.
12. While pursuing Lord Asriel, Lyra and Iorek reach a bridge where they are forced to
(a) Admit defeat.
(b) Consult the alethiometer.
13. At the Bolvangar, Billy Costa tells Lyra about a hiding place in the
14. As the new king of the bears, what does Iorek Byrnison order regarding human prisoners?
(a) Their execution.
(b) Their release.
(c) That they be banished.
(d) That they be given fair trials.
15. At the Bolvangar, how do Lyra and her friend exchange information without getting caught?
(a) Through Lyra's alethiometer.
(b) Through their daemons.
(c) By communicating telepathically.
(d) By passing notes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Iorek was exiled from Svalbard for what?
2. When Lyra's hood is removed by her kidnappers, who addresses her?
3. Scoresby tells Serafina that he will not participate in war because
4. At the Bolvangar, when Mrs. Coulter asks Lyra about the girl's disappearance in London, what story does Lyra fabricate?
5. From her hiding place in the Bolvangar, Lyra hears Mrs. Coulter talk about a new separating machine with a blade made of
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)