|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the Bolvangar, Lyra asks about the battle. She is told that it
(a) Is a silly thing grownups like to engage in.
(b) Already ended, and the Gyptians won.
(c) Was just a bad nightmare she had.
(d) Is none of her concern.
2. As the children escape from the compound, they see
(a) Mrs. Coulter sending a witch after Lyra.
(b) The Tartars taking Lyra away.
(c) Lee Scoresby deflating Mrs. Coulter's zeppelin.
(d) Lee Scoresby dropping sacks of sand on the Tartars.
3. When Lyra consults her alethiometer to see how the Bolvangar is being defended, she discovers that
(a) The entrance is protected by an electric field, and Gobblers patrol the area.
(b) The region is separated by an icy moat.
(c) The area is guarded by armored bears.
(d) The station is surrounded by wire and guarded by Tartars.
4. Lyra and Iorek follow Lord Asriel's sledge tracks but stop at a bridge. Why?
(a) The tracks veer off sharply to the left.
(b) A Tartar guard blocks their path.
(c) It is too small for Iorek to cross.
(d) A central part of the bridge is missing.
5. In the fight between Iorek and Iofur, Iorek is soon injured where?
(a) Left eye.
(b) Left paw.
(c) Lower back.
(d) Right side.
6. After Iorek becomes king, Lyra consults her alethiometer and discovers that Mrs. Coulter is
(a) Burning down the Bolvangar to hide the evidence.
(b) Headed to Svalgard in a zeppelin that is armed with guns.
(c) Plotting with the witches to recapture Lyra.
(d) Has captured Lee Scoresby and taken his hot air balloon.
7. At the Bolvangar, what lie does Mrs. Coulter tell Lyra about Dust?
(a) It is used to cure diseases in children.
(b) It is evil and can infect daemons.
(c) She really does not know anything about it.
(d) It is harvested for its mind-strengthening properties.
8. What does Mrs. Coulter determine resulted in the escape of the daemons from the Bolvangar?
(a) An outside force.
(b) Sleeping guards.
(c) A witch's spell.
(d) The daemons' cunning.
9. When Lyra finds Tony Makarios in the fish house, whom does he ask about?
(a) His daemon.
(b) His sister.
(c) His mother.
(d) His teacher.
10. Mrs. Coulter thinks she is opening a tin containing the alethiometer, but instead, the spy-fly comes out and attacks
(a) Mrs. Coulter and her daemon.
(b) Every daemon it encounters.
(c) Lyra and her daemon.
(d) The men in the conference room.
11. As Lyra and the bears hurry along on their mission, they are stopped first by witches and then by
(a) Lord Asriel and his powerful army.
(b) Mrs. Coulter's zeppelin firing upon them.
(c) Gyptian fighters who try to take Lyra back.
(d) Tartar soldiers and their warrior daemons.
12. How does Lyra create an explosion in the compound's kitchen when she escapes from Mrs. Coulter?
(a) Using vinegar and baking soda.
(b) Using oil and vinegar.
(c) With a burner and oil.
(d) With a burner and flour.
13. Lord Asriel explains to Lyra that the name "Dust" was derived from a passage in the Bible reading
(a) Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.
(b) The winds shalt scatter the dust and foil their plans.
(c) Like the dust of the earth, thou shalt scatter.
(d) For dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
14. Lyra is able to answer all of the bear king's difficult questions by consulting
(a) Her friend Iorek.
(b) Her daemon.
(c) The alethiometer.
(d) The witches.
15. After waking up and finding that Lord Asriel is gone, Lyra and a group of bears take off to
(a) Rescue Iorek.
(b) Retrieve her alethiometer.
(c) Find her daemon.
(d) Rescue Roger.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the kidnappers take Lyra to the Bolvangar, who pays them?
2. What does Lyra learn about male witches?
3. After Tony dies, Lyra discovers that his fish had been taken by
4. When Lyra is captured in battle and a hood is placed over her head, her daemon serves as her eyes. What does he tell her that he sees?
5. When Lyra's hood is removed by her kidnappers, who addresses her?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)