|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lyra meets the bear king, she notices that he has a doll that resembles whom?
(c) Mrs. Coulter.
(d) Ma Costa.
2. As Lyra and the bears hurry along on their mission, they are stopped first by witches and then by
(a) Tartar soldiers and their warrior daemons.
(b) Lord Asriel and his powerful army.
(c) Mrs. Coulter's zeppelin firing upon them.
(d) Gyptian fighters who try to take Lyra back.
3. After Tony dies, Lyra discovers that his fish had been taken by
(a) A polar bear to feed her cubs.
(b) A child to feed his younger siblings.
(c) A Gyptian to feed his dogs.
(d) A Tartar to feed his sick friend.
4. When the kidnappers take Lyra to the Bolvangar, who pays them?
(a) A man who appears to be a Scholar.
(b) Mrs. Coulter.
(c) Lord Asriel.
(d) A nurse named Sister Clara.
5. At the Bolvangar, how do Lyra and her friend exchange information without getting caught?
(a) By communicating telepathically.
(b) Through Lyra's alethiometer.
(c) By passing notes.
(d) Through their daemons.
6. When Iorek and Lyra reach the village near the Bolvangar, they are met by what?
(a) Baby seals and a girl with a sled.
(b) Howling dogs and a man with a rifle.
(c) Polar bears and a woman with an electron gun.
(d) Honking geese and a child with a book.
7. When Lyra's hood is removed by her kidnappers, who addresses her?
(a) A man speaking broken English asks her name.
(b) Mrs. Coulter talks to her disapprovingly.
(c) A woman with a cackling voice laughs at her.
(d) A Gobbler threatens her.
8. When Lyra is kidnapped and taken to the Bolvangar, who does she tell everyone she is?
(a) Emily Asriel.
(b) Sara Smith.
(c) Betty Sue Coulter.
(d) Lizzie Brooks.
9. Lyra is able to answer all of the bear king's difficult questions by consulting
(a) The alethiometer.
(b) Her friend Iorek.
(c) The witches.
(d) Her daemon.
10. Who is Iofur Rakinson?
(a) Servant of Lord Asriel.
(b) King of the bears.
(c) Leader of the Tartars.
(d) Mentor of John Faa.
11. How is Lyra discovered when she is hiding in the Bolvangar listening to the men in the conference room?
(a) She falls through the ceiling.
(b) She sneezes.
(c) Her foot slips and makes a noise.
(d) The men's daemons find her.
12. Lee Scoresby explains to Lyra that to get to Svalbard, one would need a
(a) Hot-air balloon.
(c) Large boat.
13. As the children escape from the compound, they see
(a) The Tartars taking Lyra away.
(b) Lee Scoresby dropping sacks of sand on the Tartars.
(c) Mrs. Coulter sending a witch after Lyra.
(d) Lee Scoresby deflating Mrs. Coulter's zeppelin.
14. Mrs. Coulter thinks she is opening a tin containing the alethiometer, but instead, the spy-fly comes out and attacks
(a) The men in the conference room.
(b) Every daemon it encounters.
(c) Mrs. Coulter and her daemon.
(d) Lyra and her daemon.
15. As the new king of the bears, what does Iorek Byrnison order regarding human prisoners?
(a) Their execution.
(b) Their release.
(c) That they be given fair trials.
(d) That they be banished.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the alethiometer tells Lyra that there is a ghost in a village near the Bolvangar, she thinks the ghost may be that of a
2. After being awakened by Thorold at Lord Asriel's house, Lyra learns that Asriel has taken
3. What does Lyra learn about male witches?
4. While being held captive by the bears, Lyra consults her alethiometer using light provided by
5. How do the bears, accompanied by Lyra, fight against their attackers in Chapter 22?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)