|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lyra sees hundreds of tiny black objects up in the sky, Iorek tells her they are
(a) Dust particles.
(d) Anti-matter particles.
2. After waking up and finding that Lord Asriel is gone, Lyra and a group of bears take off to
(a) Rescue Iorek.
(b) Rescue Roger.
(c) Find her daemon.
(d) Retrieve her alethiometer.
3. When Lyra and Roger meet with Lord Asriel in his elegant home atop a high crag, what does Roger tell Lyra?
(a) He has lost his daemon.
(b) Mrs. Coulter is ten times scarier than Lord Asriel.
(c) He is afraid of Lord Asriel.
(d) He is happy to be in such a comfortable house.
4. Lyra meets three girls at the Bolvangar who tell her that when a child is taken, that child
(a) Comes back with two daemons.
(b) Becomes a daemon.
(c) Returns with a scar across the abdomen.
(d) Never returns.
5. What does Mrs. Coulter determine resulted in the escape of the daemons from the Bolvangar?
(a) A witch's spell.
(b) An outside force.
(c) Sleeping guards.
(d) The daemons' cunning.
6. What daemons do the Sibirirsk regiments have?
(a) Polar bears.
(c) Snow leopards.
7. At the Bolvangar, Billy Costa tells Lyra about a hiding place in the
8. After Tony dies, Lyra discovers that his fish had been taken by
(a) A Tartar to feed his sick friend.
(b) A polar bear to feed her cubs.
(c) A Gyptian to feed his dogs.
(d) A child to feed his younger siblings.
9. Lyra is able to answer all of the bear king's difficult questions by consulting
(a) Her friend Iorek.
(b) Her daemon.
(c) The alethiometer.
(d) The witches.
10. At the Bolvangar, when Mrs. Coulter asks Lyra about the girl's disappearance in London, what story does Lyra fabricate?
(a) A couple took her, and then Gobblers captured her.
(b) Lord Asriel told her she was in danger and then took her away.
(c) The police kidnapped and imprisoned her for weeks.
(d) The last thing she remembers was falling into a canal.
11. What does Lyra place in Tony's mouth before his body is cremated?
(a) Pouch of poppy seeds.
(b) Gold coin.
(c) Licorice piece.
(d) Note she wrote.
12. When Lyra consults her alethiometer to see how the Bolvangar is being defended, she discovers that
(a) The region is separated by an icy moat.
(b) The station is surrounded by wire and guarded by Tartars.
(c) The area is guarded by armored bears.
(d) The entrance is protected by an electric field, and Gobblers patrol the area.
13. At the Bolvangar, what lie does Mrs. Coulter tell Lyra about Dust?
(a) It is evil and can infect daemons.
(b) It is harvested for its mind-strengthening properties.
(c) She really does not know anything about it.
(d) It is used to cure diseases in children.
14. What does Iofur do after noticing Iorek's injury suffered in battle?
(a) Defeats him.
(b) Allows him to rest a minute.
(c) Taunts him.
(d) Gets him medical attention.
15. Mrs. Coulter thinks she is opening a tin containing the alethiometer, but instead, the spy-fly comes out and attacks
(a) Mrs. Coulter and her daemon.
(b) Every daemon it encounters.
(c) Lyra and her daemon.
(d) The men in the conference room.
Short Answer Questions
1. After consulting her alethiometer while imprisoned by the bears, Lyra learns that someone is coming to rescue her. Who?
2. Scoresby tells Serafina that he will not participate in war because
3. At the canteen in the Bolvangar, Lyra drops a handkerchief when passing by her friend and manages to convey to him that they
4. Who is Iofur Rakinson?
5. While being held by the bears, Lyra remembers that more than anything in the world, the bear king wants
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)