|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lyra is taken to the canteen at the Bolvangar, whom does she see?
2. When the alethiometer tells Lyra that there is a ghost in a village near the Bolvangar, she thinks the ghost may be that of a
(c) Guard killed in action.
(d) Missing child.
3. At the Bolvangar, when Mrs. Coulter asks Lyra about the girl's disappearance in London, what story does Lyra fabricate?
(a) Lord Asriel told her she was in danger and then took her away.
(b) A couple took her, and then Gobblers captured her.
(c) The last thing she remembers was falling into a canal.
(d) The police kidnapped and imprisoned her for weeks.
4. After consulting her alethiometer while imprisoned by the bears, Lyra learns that someone is coming to rescue her. Who?
(a) Lord Asriel.
(c) Mrs. Coulter.
5. What daemons do the Sibirirsk regiments have?
(a) Polar bears.
(b) Snow leopards.
6. When Lyra is kidnapped and taken to the Bolvangar, who does she tell everyone she is?
(a) Lizzie Brooks.
(b) Betty Sue Coulter.
(c) Emily Asriel.
(d) Sara Smith.
7. At the Bolvangar, how do Lyra and her friend exchange information without getting caught?
(a) By communicating telepathically.
(b) By passing notes.
(c) Through Lyra's alethiometer.
(d) Through their daemons.
8. Mrs. Coulter thinks she is opening a tin containing the alethiometer, but instead, the spy-fly comes out and attacks
(a) Lyra and her daemon.
(b) Mrs. Coulter and her daemon.
(c) The men in the conference room.
(d) Every daemon it encounters.
9. When the daemons escape from the Bolvangar, why is the alarm not heard?
(a) It is set to "Silent Mode."
(b) The daemons disengaged it.
(c) It is drowned out by the fire alarm.
(d) It sounds, but nobody recognizes it.
10. Scoresby tells Serafina that he will not participate in war because
(a) It is against his religious philosophy.
(b) He refuses to take sides.
(c) He has been paid for transportation only, not war.
(d) He is a trader and a teacher, not a soldier.
11. When the children escape the compound, how do they attack the Tartar guards?
(a) Sending their daemons to ambush the guards.
(b) Calling upon Dust to overwhelm the guards.
(c) Throwing snowballs at their eyes.
(d) Using forks and other kitchen utensils.
12. When the kidnappers take Lyra to the Bolvangar, who pays them?
(a) A nurse named Sister Clara.
(b) Mrs. Coulter.
(c) Lord Asriel.
(d) A man who appears to be a Scholar.
13. Serafina tells Lyra that she is in love with whom?
(a) Iorek Birnbaum.
(b) Lee Scoresby.
(c) Farder Coram.
(d) Lord Asriel.
14. How does Lyra create an explosion in the compound's kitchen when she escapes from Mrs. Coulter?
(a) With a burner and oil.
(b) Using vinegar and baking soda.
(c) With a burner and flour.
(d) Using oil and vinegar.
15. What does Lyra learn about the ages of witches?
(a) A human year is equivalent to ten witch years.
(b) Nobody keeps track of a witch's age.
(c) They live hundreds of years.
(d) They never die.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Lyra discovered when she is hiding in the Bolvangar listening to the men in the conference room?
2. When Lyra and friends sneak off during a fire drill at Bolvangar, what do they find?
3. How does Lyra create a distraction at the Bolvangar during a fire drill?
4. While being held captive by the bears, Lyra consults her alethiometer using light provided by
5. At the Bolvangar, Lyra asks about the battle. She is told that it
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)