|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lee Scoresby explains to Lyra that to get to Svalbard, one would need a
(c) Large boat.
(d) Hot-air balloon.
2. Lyra is able to answer all of the bear king's difficult questions by consulting
(a) The alethiometer.
(b) Her daemon.
(c) The witches.
(d) Her friend Iorek.
3. When Lyra finds Tony Makarios in the fish house, whom does he ask about?
(a) His daemon.
(b) His teacher.
(c) His mother.
(d) His sister.
4. When Lyra meets the bear king, she notices that he has a doll that resembles whom?
(a) Ma Costa.
(b) Mrs. Coulter.
5. What does Lyra learn about the ages of witches?
(a) They live hundreds of years.
(b) A human year is equivalent to ten witch years.
(c) Nobody keeps track of a witch's age.
(d) They never die.
6. When Lyra sees hundreds of tiny black objects up in the sky, Iorek tells her they are
(b) Dust particles.
(d) Anti-matter particles.
7. While pursuing Lord Asriel, Lyra and Iorek reach a bridge where they are forced to
(a) Consult the alethiometer.
(c) Admit defeat.
8. When Iorek and Lyra reach the village near the Bolvangar, they are met by what?
(a) Honking geese and a child with a book.
(b) Howling dogs and a man with a rifle.
(c) Baby seals and a girl with a sled.
(d) Polar bears and a woman with an electron gun.
9. After waking up and finding that Lord Asriel is gone, Lyra and a group of bears take off to
(a) Rescue Roger.
(b) Retrieve her alethiometer.
(c) Find her daemon.
(d) Rescue Iorek.
10. What does Iofur do after noticing Iorek's injury suffered in battle?
(a) Defeats him.
(b) Allows him to rest a minute.
(c) Taunts him.
(d) Gets him medical attention.
11. At Lord Asriel's elegant home, Roger is sent to bed while Lyra is
(a) Given dessert.
(b) Questioned thoroughly about her alethiometer.
(c) Asked to help prepare dinner.
(d) Told to meet with Lord Asriel.
12. Who is Iofur Rakinson?
(a) King of the bears.
(b) Mentor of John Faa.
(c) Leader of the Tartars.
(d) Servant of Lord Asriel.
13. While being held by the bears, Lyra remembers that more than anything in the world, the bear king wants
(a) A bride.
(c) An alethiometer.
(d) A daemon.
14. Lord Asriel tells Lyra that the Magisterium decided that Dust was the result of what?
(a) Colliding magnetic fields.
(b) An experiment gone haywire.
(c) Sorcery and witchcraft.
(d) Original sin.
15. When Lyra and friends sneak off during a fire drill at Bolvangar, what do they find?
(a) Caged daemons.
(b) Hundreds of alethiometers.
(c) Hiding witches.
(d) Invading polar bears.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lyra's hood is removed by her kidnappers, who addresses her?
2. While being held captive by the bears, Lyra consults her alethiometer using light provided by
3. When the children escape the compound, how do they attack the Tartar guards?
4. Lord Asriel explains to Lyra that the name "Dust" was derived from a passage in the Bible reading
5. From her hiding place in the Bolvangar, Lyra hears Mrs. Coulter talk about a new separating machine with a blade made of
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)