|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the children escape from the compound, they see
(a) The Tartars taking Lyra away.
(b) Lee Scoresby deflating Mrs. Coulter's zeppelin.
(c) Mrs. Coulter sending a witch after Lyra.
(d) Lee Scoresby dropping sacks of sand on the Tartars.
2. When Lyra and friends sneak off during a fire drill at Bolvangar, what do they find?
(a) Caged daemons.
(b) Hundreds of alethiometers.
(c) Hiding witches.
(d) Invading polar bears.
3. When Lyra is taken to the canteen at the Bolvangar, whom does she see?
4. After waking up and finding that Lord Asriel is gone, Lyra and a group of bears take off to
(a) Rescue Roger.
(b) Find her daemon.
(c) Rescue Iorek.
(d) Retrieve her alethiometer.
5. Lyra and Iorek follow Lord Asriel's sledge tracks but stop at a bridge. Why?
(a) A Tartar guard blocks their path.
(b) A central part of the bridge is missing.
(c) The tracks veer off sharply to the left.
(d) It is too small for Iorek to cross.
6. Who is Iofur Rakinson?
(a) Mentor of John Faa.
(b) King of the bears.
(c) Servant of Lord Asriel.
(d) Leader of the Tartars.
7. While pursuing Lord Asriel, Lyra and Iorek reach a bridge where they are forced to
(a) Consult the alethiometer.
(d) Admit defeat.
8. Lee Scoresby explains to Lyra that to get to Svalbard, one would need a
(b) Hot-air balloon.
(c) Large boat.
9. When Lyra is captured in battle and a hood is placed over her head, her daemon serves as her eyes. What does he tell her that he sees?
(a) She is being taken to the fish hut.
(b) She is one of thousands of children being whisked away.
(c) Her kidnappers appear to be Tartars.
(d) Witches have whisked Lyra away.
10. In the fight between Iorek and Iofur, Iorek is soon injured where?
(a) Left eye.
(b) Left paw.
(c) Lower back.
(d) Right side.
11. When Lyra climbs into her hiding place in the ceiling of the Bolvangar, she can hear Mrs. Coulter and three men in a conference room discussing what?
(a) A kidnapped Lord Asriel.
(b) Runaway children.
(c) Escaped daemons.
(d) Imprisoned Gyptians.
12. While they are talking at Lord Asriel's home in the North, Asriel tells Lyra that Dust is
(a) What gives witches their long lives.
(b) Sacred and should not be tampered with.
(c) The reason for his breakup with Mrs. Coulter.
(d) What makes the alethiometer work.
13. Lord Asriel tells Lyra that the Magisterium decided that Dust was the result of what?
(a) Sorcery and witchcraft.
(b) Original sin.
(c) Colliding magnetic fields.
(d) An experiment gone haywire.
14. After Tony dies, Lyra discovers that his fish had been taken by
(a) A Gyptian to feed his dogs.
(b) A child to feed his younger siblings.
(c) A polar bear to feed her cubs.
(d) A Tartar to feed his sick friend.
15. When Lyra meets the bear king, she notices that he has a doll that resembles whom?
(c) Mrs. Coulter.
(d) Ma Costa.
Short Answer Questions
1. Serafina tells Lyra that the Oblation Board is funded by the
2. What does Mrs. Coulter determine resulted in the escape of the daemons from the Bolvangar?
3. At Lord Asriel's elegant home, Roger is sent to bed while Lyra is
4. When Lyra consults her alethiometer to see how the Bolvangar is being defended, she discovers that
5. When Lyra tries giving her alethiometer to Lord Asriel, he
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)