|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lyra and friends sneak off during a fire drill at Bolvangar, what do they find?
(a) Invading polar bears.
(b) Hundreds of alethiometers.
(c) Caged daemons.
(d) Hiding witches.
2. Serafina tells Lyra that the Oblation Board is funded by the
3. What does Lyra learn about male witches?
(a) They do not live as long as female witches do.
(b) They cannot fly.
(c) They have weak powers.
(d) There are none.
4. Serafina tells Lyra that she is in love with whom?
(a) Iorek Birnbaum.
(b) Farder Coram.
(c) Lee Scoresby.
(d) Lord Asriel.
5. Lyra is able to answer all of the bear king's difficult questions by consulting
(a) Her daemon.
(b) Her friend Iorek.
(c) The witches.
(d) The alethiometer.
6. When Lyra's hood is removed by her kidnappers, who addresses her?
(a) A woman with a cackling voice laughs at her.
(b) A Gobbler threatens her.
(c) A man speaking broken English asks her name.
(d) Mrs. Coulter talks to her disapprovingly.
7. What does Iofur do after noticing Iorek's injury suffered in battle?
(a) Allows him to rest a minute.
(b) Taunts him.
(c) Defeats him.
(d) Gets him medical attention.
8. Lyra and Iorek follow Lord Asriel's sledge tracks but stop at a bridge. Why?
(a) A Tartar guard blocks their path.
(b) The tracks veer off sharply to the left.
(c) It is too small for Iorek to cross.
(d) A central part of the bridge is missing.
9. Lee Scoresby explains to Lyra that to get to Svalbard, one would need a
(b) Large boat.
(d) Hot-air balloon.
10. At the Bolvangar, what lie does Mrs. Coulter tell Lyra about Dust?
(a) It is used to cure diseases in children.
(b) It is evil and can infect daemons.
(c) It is harvested for its mind-strengthening properties.
(d) She really does not know anything about it.
11. How is Lyra discovered when she is hiding in the Bolvangar listening to the men in the conference room?
(a) Her foot slips and makes a noise.
(b) The men's daemons find her.
(c) She sneezes.
(d) She falls through the ceiling.
12. Who is Iofur Rakinson?
(a) Mentor of John Faa.
(b) Servant of Lord Asriel.
(c) King of the bears.
(d) Leader of the Tartars.
13. What does Mrs. Coulter determine resulted in the escape of the daemons from the Bolvangar?
(a) The daemons' cunning.
(b) An outside force.
(c) A witch's spell.
(d) Sleeping guards.
14. At the Bolvangar, Lyra asks about the battle. She is told that it
(a) Is a silly thing grownups like to engage in.
(b) Already ended, and the Gyptians won.
(c) Is none of her concern.
(d) Was just a bad nightmare she had.
15. When Lyra sees hundreds of tiny black objects up in the sky, Iorek tells her they are
(a) Dust particles.
(c) Anti-matter particles.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lyra climbs into her hiding place in the ceiling of the Bolvangar, she can hear Mrs. Coulter and three men in a conference room discussing what?
2. After waking up and finding that Lord Asriel is gone, Lyra and a group of bears take off to
3. As the children escape from the compound, they see
4. What does Lyra learn about the ages of witches?
5. In the fight between Iorek and Iofur, Iorek is soon injured where?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)