|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the Bolvangar, what lie does Mrs. Coulter tell Lyra about Dust?
(a) It is harvested for its mind-strengthening properties.
(b) It is used to cure diseases in children.
(c) It is evil and can infect daemons.
(d) She really does not know anything about it.
2. After the bears capture Lyra, they throw her into a
(a) Dark cell.
(b) Slippery pit.
(c) Deep canyon.
(d) Narrow crevice.
3. At the Bolvangar, Billy Costa tells Lyra about a hiding place in the
4. By the end of Chapter 20, Lyra has decided to take her alethiometer to
(a) Lee Scoresby.
(b) Mrs. Coulter.
(d) Lord Asriel.
5. While pursuing Lord Asriel, Lyra and Iorek reach a bridge where they are forced to
(a) Admit defeat.
(d) Consult the alethiometer.
6. How does Lyra create an explosion in the compound's kitchen when she escapes from Mrs. Coulter?
(a) With a burner and oil.
(b) Using vinegar and baking soda.
(c) Using oil and vinegar.
(d) With a burner and flour.
7. When Lyra finds Tony Makarios in the fish house, whom does he ask about?
(a) His mother.
(b) His teacher.
(c) His sister.
(d) His daemon.
8. At the canteen in the Bolvangar, Lyra drops a handkerchief when passing by her friend and manages to convey to him that they
(a) Must pretend they do not know each other.
(b) Must overtake the adults the first chance they get.
(c) Should not talk to the other children.
(d) Need to talk to Mrs. Coulter immediately.
9. When Lyra tries giving her alethiometer to Lord Asriel, he
(a) Tells her it is evil.
(b) Gratefully takes it.
(c) Shows no interest in it.
(d) Passes out.
10. When the children escape the compound, how do they attack the Tartar guards?
(a) Using forks and other kitchen utensils.
(b) Sending their daemons to ambush the guards.
(c) Throwing snowballs at their eyes.
(d) Calling upon Dust to overwhelm the guards.
11. What does Lyra learn about male witches?
(a) They have weak powers.
(b) There are none.
(c) They do not live as long as female witches do.
(d) They cannot fly.
12. As the new king of the bears, what does Iorek Byrnison order regarding human prisoners?
(a) Their release.
(b) That they be banished.
(c) Their execution.
(d) That they be given fair trials.
13. How do the bears, accompanied by Lyra, fight against their attackers in Chapter 22?
(a) With their sharp teeth.
(b) Using powerful laser beams.
(c) With a fire thrower.
(d) By calling upon other animals for help.
14. After being awakened by Thorold at Lord Asriel's house, Lyra learns that Asriel has taken
(a) Her daemon.
(d) Her alethiometer.
15. When Lyra sees hundreds of tiny black objects up in the sky, Iorek tells her they are
(b) Dust particles.
(d) Anti-matter particles.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the Bolvangar, when Mrs. Coulter asks Lyra about the girl's disappearance in London, what story does Lyra fabricate?
2. Lee Scoresby explains to Lyra that to get to Svalbard, one would need a
3. When the daemons escape from the Bolvangar, why is the alarm not heard?
4. When Lyra and friends sneak off during a fire drill at Bolvangar, what do they find?
5. When Lyra is kidnapped and taken to the Bolvangar, who does she tell everyone she is?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)