|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Iofur do after noticing Iorek's injury suffered in battle?
(a) Taunts him.
(b) Defeats him.
(c) Allows him to rest a minute.
(d) Gets him medical attention.
2. After waking up and finding that Lord Asriel is gone, Lyra and a group of bears take off to
(a) Rescue Iorek.
(b) Rescue Roger.
(c) Retrieve her alethiometer.
(d) Find her daemon.
3. While being held captive by the bears, Lyra consults her alethiometer using light provided by
(a) Her daemon who takes on the form of a firefly.
(b) The faint glow of her wristwatch.
(c) The small opening high above her.
(d) Small clumps of glowing Dust.
4. After the bears capture Lyra, they throw her into a
(a) Deep canyon.
(b) Slippery pit.
(c) Narrow crevice.
(d) Dark cell.
5. When Lyra is kidnapped and taken to the Bolvangar, who does she tell everyone she is?
(a) Lizzie Brooks.
(b) Sara Smith.
(c) Betty Sue Coulter.
(d) Emily Asriel.
6. When Iorek and Lyra reach the village near the Bolvangar, they are met by what?
(a) Howling dogs and a man with a rifle.
(b) Polar bears and a woman with an electron gun.
(c) Honking geese and a child with a book.
(d) Baby seals and a girl with a sled.
7. As the children escape from the compound, they see
(a) The Tartars taking Lyra away.
(b) Mrs. Coulter sending a witch after Lyra.
(c) Lee Scoresby deflating Mrs. Coulter's zeppelin.
(d) Lee Scoresby dropping sacks of sand on the Tartars.
8. After Tony dies, Lyra discovers that his fish had been taken by
(a) A child to feed his younger siblings.
(b) A Gyptian to feed his dogs.
(c) A Tartar to feed his sick friend.
(d) A polar bear to feed her cubs.
9. At the Bolvangar, how do Lyra and her friend exchange information without getting caught?
(a) By passing notes.
(b) By communicating telepathically.
(c) Through their daemons.
(d) Through Lyra's alethiometer.
10. At the Bolvangar, when Mrs. Coulter asks Lyra about the girl's disappearance in London, what story does Lyra fabricate?
(a) Lord Asriel told her she was in danger and then took her away.
(b) A couple took her, and then Gobblers captured her.
(c) The police kidnapped and imprisoned her for weeks.
(d) The last thing she remembers was falling into a canal.
11. In Chapter 16, who saves Lyra from being separated from her daemon?
(b) Mrs. Coulter.
(c) Billy Costa.
(d) Lord Asriel.
12. When Lyra asks Serafina about the future of Lord Asriel, she tells the girl that Asriel will not return to the college because
(a) There is work to be done in other worlds.
(b) There is a good chance he will not live long enough to return.
(c) The Scholars have forbidden him from returning.
(d) The Scholars have betrayed him.
13. When Lyra and Roger meet with Lord Asriel in his elegant home atop a high crag, what does Roger tell Lyra?
(a) He has lost his daemon.
(b) Mrs. Coulter is ten times scarier than Lord Asriel.
(c) He is happy to be in such a comfortable house.
(d) He is afraid of Lord Asriel.
14. Lord Asriel explains to Lyra that the name "Dust" was derived from a passage in the Bible reading
(a) Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.
(b) For dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
(c) The winds shalt scatter the dust and foil their plans.
(d) Like the dust of the earth, thou shalt scatter.
15. At the canteen in the Bolvangar, Lyra drops a handkerchief when passing by her friend and manages to convey to him that they
(a) Need to talk to Mrs. Coulter immediately.
(b) Should not talk to the other children.
(c) Must pretend they do not know each other.
(d) Must overtake the adults the first chance they get.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lyra is able to answer all of the bear king's difficult questions by consulting
2. While being held by the bears, Lyra remembers that more than anything in the world, the bear king wants
3. What does Lyra place in Tony's mouth before his body is cremated?
4. When Lyra tries giving her alethiometer to Lord Asriel, he
5. Lee Scoresby explains to Lyra that to get to Svalbard, one would need a
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)