|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lyra learn about the ages of witches?
(a) They never die.
(b) Nobody keeps track of a witch's age.
(c) A human year is equivalent to ten witch years.
(d) They live hundreds of years.
2. While pursuing Lord Asriel, Lyra and Iorek reach a bridge where they are forced to
(a) Consult the alethiometer.
(d) Admit defeat.
3. What daemons do the Sibirirsk regiments have?
(b) Polar bears.
(d) Snow leopards.
4. After waking up and finding that Lord Asriel is gone, Lyra and a group of bears take off to
(a) Find her daemon.
(b) Retrieve her alethiometer.
(c) Rescue Iorek.
(d) Rescue Roger.
5. Lyra meets three girls at the Bolvangar who tell her that when a child is taken, that child
(a) Returns with a scar across the abdomen.
(b) Comes back with two daemons.
(c) Becomes a daemon.
(d) Never returns.
6. Who is Iofur Rakinson?
(a) King of the bears.
(b) Leader of the Tartars.
(c) Mentor of John Faa.
(d) Servant of Lord Asriel.
7. Lord Asriel tells Lyra that the Magisterium decided that Dust was the result of what?
(a) An experiment gone haywire.
(b) Colliding magnetic fields.
(c) Sorcery and witchcraft.
(d) Original sin.
8. When Lyra is kidnapped and taken to the Bolvangar, who does she tell everyone she is?
(a) Sara Smith.
(b) Lizzie Brooks.
(c) Betty Sue Coulter.
(d) Emily Asriel.
9. When Lyra asks Serafina about the future of Lord Asriel, she tells the girl that Asriel will not return to the college because
(a) There is a good chance he will not live long enough to return.
(b) The Scholars have forbidden him from returning.
(c) There is work to be done in other worlds.
(d) The Scholars have betrayed him.
10. When Lyra and Roger meet with Lord Asriel in his elegant home atop a high crag, what does Roger tell Lyra?
(a) He has lost his daemon.
(b) He is happy to be in such a comfortable house.
(c) Mrs. Coulter is ten times scarier than Lord Asriel.
(d) He is afraid of Lord Asriel.
11. Serafina tells Lyra that the Oblation Board is funded by the
12. As the children escape from the compound, they see
(a) Mrs. Coulter sending a witch after Lyra.
(b) Lee Scoresby dropping sacks of sand on the Tartars.
(c) Lee Scoresby deflating Mrs. Coulter's zeppelin.
(d) The Tartars taking Lyra away.
13. Scoresby tells Serafina that he will not participate in war because
(a) He has been paid for transportation only, not war.
(b) It is against his religious philosophy.
(c) He is a trader and a teacher, not a soldier.
(d) He refuses to take sides.
14. Mrs. Coulter thinks she is opening a tin containing the alethiometer, but instead, the spy-fly comes out and attacks
(a) The men in the conference room.
(b) Mrs. Coulter and her daemon.
(c) Every daemon it encounters.
(d) Lyra and her daemon.
15. When the children escape the compound, how do they attack the Tartar guards?
(a) Throwing snowballs at their eyes.
(b) Sending their daemons to ambush the guards.
(c) Calling upon Dust to overwhelm the guards.
(d) Using forks and other kitchen utensils.
Short Answer Questions
1. While they are talking at Lord Asriel's home in the North, Asriel tells Lyra that Dust is
2. When Lyra and friends sneak off during a fire drill at Bolvangar, what do they find?
3. How do the bears, accompanied by Lyra, fight against their attackers in Chapter 22?
4. When Lyra is captured in battle and a hood is placed over her head, her daemon serves as her eyes. What does he tell her that he sees?
5. What does Lyra learn about male witches?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)