|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While being held by the bears, Lyra remembers that more than anything in the world, the bear king wants
(a) A bride.
(b) A daemon.
(d) An alethiometer.
2. When the children escape the compound, how do they attack the Tartar guards?
(a) Throwing snowballs at their eyes.
(b) Sending their daemons to ambush the guards.
(c) Calling upon Dust to overwhelm the guards.
(d) Using forks and other kitchen utensils.
3. After the bears capture Lyra, they throw her into a
(a) Dark cell.
(b) Deep canyon.
(c) Slippery pit.
(d) Narrow crevice.
4. In the fight between Iorek and Iofur, Iorek is soon injured where?
(a) Lower back.
(b) Left eye.
(c) Left paw.
(d) Right side.
5. In Chapter 16, who saves Lyra from being separated from her daemon?
(a) Mrs. Coulter.
(c) Billy Costa.
(d) Lord Asriel.
6. At the Bolvangar, what lie does Mrs. Coulter tell Lyra about Dust?
(a) It is evil and can infect daemons.
(b) She really does not know anything about it.
(c) It is harvested for its mind-strengthening properties.
(d) It is used to cure diseases in children.
7. When Iorek and Lyra reach the village near the Bolvangar, they are met by what?
(a) Baby seals and a girl with a sled.
(b) Honking geese and a child with a book.
(c) Polar bears and a woman with an electron gun.
(d) Howling dogs and a man with a rifle.
8. As the new king of the bears, what does Iorek Byrnison order regarding human prisoners?
(a) Their execution.
(b) That they be banished.
(c) That they be given fair trials.
(d) Their release.
9. While being held captive by the bears, Lyra consults her alethiometer using light provided by
(a) The small opening high above her.
(b) Her daemon who takes on the form of a firefly.
(c) Small clumps of glowing Dust.
(d) The faint glow of her wristwatch.
10. When Lyra is captured in battle and a hood is placed over her head, her daemon serves as her eyes. What does he tell her that he sees?
(a) She is one of thousands of children being whisked away.
(b) Witches have whisked Lyra away.
(c) She is being taken to the fish hut.
(d) Her kidnappers appear to be Tartars.
11. Mrs. Coulter thinks she is opening a tin containing the alethiometer, but instead, the spy-fly comes out and attacks
(a) Mrs. Coulter and her daemon.
(b) Lyra and her daemon.
(c) Every daemon it encounters.
(d) The men in the conference room.
12. While they are talking at Lord Asriel's home in the North, Asriel tells Lyra that Dust is
(a) What makes the alethiometer work.
(b) What gives witches their long lives.
(c) The reason for his breakup with Mrs. Coulter.
(d) Sacred and should not be tampered with.
13. Lord Asriel explains to Lyra that the name "Dust" was derived from a passage in the Bible reading
(a) Like the dust of the earth, thou shalt scatter.
(b) The winds shalt scatter the dust and foil their plans.
(c) Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.
(d) For dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
14. When Lyra's hood is removed by her kidnappers, who addresses her?
(a) A Gobbler threatens her.
(b) A man speaking broken English asks her name.
(c) Mrs. Coulter talks to her disapprovingly.
(d) A woman with a cackling voice laughs at her.
15. When Lyra sees hundreds of tiny black objects up in the sky, Iorek tells her they are
(c) Anti-matter particles.
(d) Dust particles.
Short Answer Questions
1. After consulting her alethiometer while imprisoned by the bears, Lyra learns that someone is coming to rescue her. Who?
2. What does Lyra learn about the ages of witches?
3. When Lyra and Roger meet with Lord Asriel in his elegant home atop a high crag, what does Roger tell Lyra?
4. Lyra is able to answer all of the bear king's difficult questions by consulting
5. As the children escape from the compound, they see
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)