|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the daemons escape from the Bolvangar, why is the alarm not heard?
(a) It is drowned out by the fire alarm.
(b) The daemons disengaged it.
(c) It is set to "Silent Mode."
(d) It sounds, but nobody recognizes it.
2. Lyra is able to answer all of the bear king's difficult questions by consulting
(a) Her daemon.
(b) The witches.
(c) The alethiometer.
(d) Her friend Iorek.
3. When Lyra consults her alethiometer to see how the Bolvangar is being defended, she discovers that
(a) The area is guarded by armored bears.
(b) The station is surrounded by wire and guarded by Tartars.
(c) The entrance is protected by an electric field, and Gobblers patrol the area.
(d) The region is separated by an icy moat.
4. Lord Asriel explains to Lyra that the name "Dust" was derived from a passage in the Bible reading
(a) For dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
(b) The winds shalt scatter the dust and foil their plans.
(c) Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.
(d) Like the dust of the earth, thou shalt scatter.
5. As the new king of the bears, what does Iorek Byrnison order regarding human prisoners?
(a) That they be given fair trials.
(b) Their execution.
(c) Their release.
(d) That they be banished.
6. How do the bears, accompanied by Lyra, fight against their attackers in Chapter 22?
(a) Using powerful laser beams.
(b) With their sharp teeth.
(c) With a fire thrower.
(d) By calling upon other animals for help.
7. How does Lyra create a distraction at the Bolvangar during a fire drill?
(a) Releases the guard dogs.
(b) Starts a giant snowball fight.
(c) Gets daemons to pretend they are fighting.
(d) Attacks a polar bear guard.
8. When Lyra is taken to the canteen at the Bolvangar, whom does she see?
9. When Lyra tries giving her alethiometer to Lord Asriel, he
(a) Shows no interest in it.
(b) Tells her it is evil.
(c) Passes out.
(d) Gratefully takes it.
10. In Chapter 16, who saves Lyra from being separated from her daemon?
(a) Lord Asriel.
(b) Billy Costa.
(c) Mrs. Coulter.
11. As Lyra and the bears hurry along on their mission, they are stopped first by witches and then by
(a) Lord Asriel and his powerful army.
(b) Mrs. Coulter's zeppelin firing upon them.
(c) Tartar soldiers and their warrior daemons.
(d) Gyptian fighters who try to take Lyra back.
12. From her hiding place in the Bolvangar, Lyra hears Mrs. Coulter talk about a new separating machine with a blade made of
(a) Lead and copper.
(b) Aluminum and cobalt.
(c) Manganese and titanium.
(d) Gold and silver.
13. After consulting her alethiometer while imprisoned by the bears, Lyra learns that someone is coming to rescue her. Who?
(b) Mrs. Coulter.
(c) Lord Asriel.
14. Lyra meets three girls at the Bolvangar who tell her that when a child is taken, that child
(a) Returns with a scar across the abdomen.
(b) Comes back with two daemons.
(c) Never returns.
(d) Becomes a daemon.
15. How does Lyra create an explosion in the compound's kitchen when she escapes from Mrs. Coulter?
(a) With a burner and flour.
(b) Using vinegar and baking soda.
(c) Using oil and vinegar.
(d) With a burner and oil.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the canteen in the Bolvangar, Lyra drops a handkerchief when passing by her friend and manages to convey to him that they
2. Serafina tells Lyra that the Oblation Board is funded by the
3. What does Lyra learn about the ages of witches?
4. What does Lyra learn about male witches?
5. Iorek was exiled from Svalbard for what?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)