|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lyra climbs into her hiding place in the ceiling of the Bolvangar, she can hear Mrs. Coulter and three men in a conference room discussing what?
(a) Escaped daemons.
(b) Runaway children.
(c) Imprisoned Gyptians.
(d) A kidnapped Lord Asriel.
2. When Lyra tries giving her alethiometer to Lord Asriel, he
(a) Passes out.
(b) Gratefully takes it.
(c) Shows no interest in it.
(d) Tells her it is evil.
3. What does Mrs. Coulter determine resulted in the escape of the daemons from the Bolvangar?
(a) Sleeping guards.
(b) A witch's spell.
(c) The daemons' cunning.
(d) An outside force.
4. What does Iofur do after noticing Iorek's injury suffered in battle?
(a) Defeats him.
(b) Allows him to rest a minute.
(c) Gets him medical attention.
(d) Taunts him.
5. By the end of Chapter 20, Lyra has decided to take her alethiometer to
(a) Lee Scoresby.
(c) Lord Asriel.
(d) Mrs. Coulter.
6. Lord Asriel explains to Lyra that the name "Dust" was derived from a passage in the Bible reading
(a) The winds shalt scatter the dust and foil their plans.
(b) Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.
(c) For dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
(d) Like the dust of the earth, thou shalt scatter.
7. When Lyra is captured in battle and a hood is placed over her head, her daemon serves as her eyes. What does he tell her that he sees?
(a) She is one of thousands of children being whisked away.
(b) Witches have whisked Lyra away.
(c) She is being taken to the fish hut.
(d) Her kidnappers appear to be Tartars.
8. Lyra is able to answer all of the bear king's difficult questions by consulting
(a) Her daemon.
(b) Her friend Iorek.
(c) The witches.
(d) The alethiometer.
9. After being awakened by Thorold at Lord Asriel's house, Lyra learns that Asriel has taken
(a) Her daemon.
(b) Her alethiometer.
10. What does Lyra learn about the ages of witches?
(a) A human year is equivalent to ten witch years.
(b) They live hundreds of years.
(c) Nobody keeps track of a witch's age.
(d) They never die.
11. When Lyra and friends sneak off during a fire drill at Bolvangar, what do they find?
(a) Caged daemons.
(b) Hiding witches.
(c) Hundreds of alethiometers.
(d) Invading polar bears.
12. When Lyra finds Tony Makarios in the fish house, whom does he ask about?
(a) His teacher.
(b) His sister.
(c) His daemon.
(d) His mother.
13. When the kidnappers take Lyra to the Bolvangar, who pays them?
(a) Mrs. Coulter.
(b) Lord Asriel.
(c) A man who appears to be a Scholar.
(d) A nurse named Sister Clara.
14. When Iorek and Lyra reach the village near the Bolvangar, they are met by what?
(a) Polar bears and a woman with an electron gun.
(b) Howling dogs and a man with a rifle.
(c) Baby seals and a girl with a sled.
(d) Honking geese and a child with a book.
15. How is Lyra discovered when she is hiding in the Bolvangar listening to the men in the conference room?
(a) Her foot slips and makes a noise.
(b) She sneezes.
(c) The men's daemons find her.
(d) She falls through the ceiling.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Coulter thinks she is opening a tin containing the alethiometer, but instead, the spy-fly comes out and attacks
2. How does Lyra create an explosion in the compound's kitchen when she escapes from Mrs. Coulter?
3. What are severed children?
4. In Chapter 16, who saves Lyra from being separated from her daemon?
5. What daemons do the Sibirirsk regiments have?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)