|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Iorek and Lyra reach the village near the Bolvangar, they are met by what?
(a) Polar bears and a woman with an electron gun.
(b) Honking geese and a child with a book.
(c) Baby seals and a girl with a sled.
(d) Howling dogs and a man with a rifle.
2. What daemons do the Sibirirsk regiments have?
(b) Snow leopards.
(c) Polar bears.
3. After the battle between the two bears is over, Lyra is reunited with
4. How is Lyra discovered when she is hiding in the Bolvangar listening to the men in the conference room?
(a) The men's daemons find her.
(b) She falls through the ceiling.
(c) Her foot slips and makes a noise.
(d) She sneezes.
5. At the Bolvangar, what lie does Mrs. Coulter tell Lyra about Dust?
(a) It is evil and can infect daemons.
(b) She really does not know anything about it.
(c) It is harvested for its mind-strengthening properties.
(d) It is used to cure diseases in children.
6. Lord Asriel explains to Lyra that the name "Dust" was derived from a passage in the Bible reading
(a) Like the dust of the earth, thou shalt scatter.
(b) For dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
(c) The winds shalt scatter the dust and foil their plans.
(d) Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.
7. How do the bears, accompanied by Lyra, fight against their attackers in Chapter 22?
(a) With a fire thrower.
(b) With their sharp teeth.
(c) By calling upon other animals for help.
(d) Using powerful laser beams.
8. At the canteen in the Bolvangar, Lyra drops a handkerchief when passing by her friend and manages to convey to him that they
(a) Should not talk to the other children.
(b) Need to talk to Mrs. Coulter immediately.
(c) Must pretend they do not know each other.
(d) Must overtake the adults the first chance they get.
9. When Lyra and friends sneak off during a fire drill at Bolvangar, what do they find?
(a) Hundreds of alethiometers.
(b) Invading polar bears.
(c) Hiding witches.
(d) Caged daemons.
10. Lyra and Iorek follow Lord Asriel's sledge tracks but stop at a bridge. Why?
(a) It is too small for Iorek to cross.
(b) The tracks veer off sharply to the left.
(c) A central part of the bridge is missing.
(d) A Tartar guard blocks their path.
11. When the children escape the compound, how do they attack the Tartar guards?
(a) Sending their daemons to ambush the guards.
(b) Calling upon Dust to overwhelm the guards.
(c) Throwing snowballs at their eyes.
(d) Using forks and other kitchen utensils.
12. Scoresby tells Serafina that he will not participate in war because
(a) He is a trader and a teacher, not a soldier.
(b) It is against his religious philosophy.
(c) He refuses to take sides.
(d) He has been paid for transportation only, not war.
13. Mrs. Coulter thinks she is opening a tin containing the alethiometer, but instead, the spy-fly comes out and attacks
(a) Every daemon it encounters.
(b) Mrs. Coulter and her daemon.
(c) Lyra and her daemon.
(d) The men in the conference room.
14. When Lyra is captured in battle and a hood is placed over her head, her daemon serves as her eyes. What does he tell her that he sees?
(a) She is one of thousands of children being whisked away.
(b) Witches have whisked Lyra away.
(c) She is being taken to the fish hut.
(d) Her kidnappers appear to be Tartars.
15. When Lyra and Roger meet with Lord Asriel in his elegant home atop a high crag, what does Roger tell Lyra?
(a) He is afraid of Lord Asriel.
(b) He has lost his daemon.
(c) Mrs. Coulter is ten times scarier than Lord Asriel.
(d) He is happy to be in such a comfortable house.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the new king of the bears, what does Iorek Byrnison order regarding human prisoners?
2. How does Lyra create a distraction at the Bolvangar during a fire drill?
3. What are severed children?
4. When Lyra is taken to the canteen at the Bolvangar, whom does she see?
5. While they are talking at Lord Asriel's home in the North, Asriel tells Lyra that Dust is
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)