|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Retiring Room, what is served after dinner to "clarify the mind and stimulate the tongue"?
2. When Lyra is hiding with the Gyptians and uses the alethiometer in an attempt to see what Mrs. Coulter is doing, one of the symbols the needle stops at is the
3. What important skill does Lyra learn from Jerry the seaman?
4. At the institute library, Lyra is shown several items including a
5. When Lyra and Roger explore the underground regions of the college and enter a crypt, they find coffins with
(a) Past Masters inside.
(b) The word "Dust" written on each.
(c) Nothing inside.
(d) Daemon corpses.
6. Who is Thorold?
(a) The Master's manservant.
(b) The Master's mentor.
(c) Lord Asriel's mentor.
(d) Lord Asriel's manservant.
7. Why can't Lyra join the Gyptians in their rescue effort?
(a) Women are not allowed.
(b) She is needed by Ma Costa.
(c) She is too young.
(d) Her golden compass might give away their location.
8. While learning about electrons, Lyra tells Mrs. Coulter that these particles are
(a) Repelled by Dust.
(b) Magnetically attracted to Dust.
(c) Similar to Dust.
(d) Nothing like Dust.
9. Overhearing a group of men at the cocktail party hosted by Mrs. Coulter, Lyra learns that Dust particles are attracted to
(a) Only the very old.
(b) Young children.
(d) Adult humans.
10. What does Lyra's new friend, a seaman named Jerry, tell her is a good cure for seasickness?
(a) Eating crackers.
(c) Staring into the horizon.
(d) Hard work.
11. What does Lord Asriel call the light in the images he shows the group seated in the Retiring Room?
12. Kaisa tells Farder Coram that
(a) Her mistress will not help him.
(b) The Oblation Board is planning a siege.
(c) The whereabouts of the children are unknown.
(d) Not all clans will assist his efforts.
13. On the side of the golden compass, what does Lyra find?
(a) Four small levers.
(b) Four tiny locks.
(c) Three winding wheels.
(d) Three square buttons.
14. Who is the king of the Gyptians?
(a) Billy Costa.
(b) John Faa.
(c) Jaxer Kerim.
(d) Monty Belacqua.
15. In Chapter 2, when the Master enters the Retiring Room, Lyra notices that he immediately looks at the
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kaisa tell Lyra about Lord Asriel and Dust?
2. What happens to the two men who are abducting Lyra as they bind her legs and hands?
3. When Lyra's daemon tires of living in luxury with Mrs. Coulter, he tries to convince Lyra to
4. To prove to the Scholars that Dr. Grumman is dead, what does Lord Asriel show them?
5. What happened after Lord Asriel knocked the gun out of Mr. Coulter's hand?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)