|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lyra's closest friend is a
(a) Kitchen helper.
(b) Stable hand.
(c) Gardening assistant.
(d) Errand boy.
2. In the Retiring Room, what is served after dinner to "clarify the mind and stimulate the tongue"?
3. In the alethiometer, the serpent represents what?
4. After Lord Asriel tells Lyra that he has received funding for his next expedition, she asks to go with him. What does he say?
(a) She must stay behind and spy on the Master.
(b) He would take her, but there is no room.
(c) She can go if the school permits.
(d) He forbids it.
5. With their boat, the Costas take Lyra to a meeting place that they call
6. The Librarian and the Enquirer are members of the group of what?
7. Colonel Carborne is the first man to do what?
(a) Find Dust at the North Pole.
(b) Cross the North Pole in a balloon.
(c) Decipher the magnetic nature of the North Pole.
(d) Reach the North Pole with a team of dogs.
8. In Part 1, Chapter 3, where are the children escorted to after they write letters?
(a) A vessel that takes them to sea.
(b) An airship that transports them to a sky port.
(c) An airship that takes them to an island.
(d) A vessel that transports them to the tropics.
9. What important skill does Lyra learn from Jerry the seaman?
10. Mrs. Coulter claims she has been to the North several times as a member of the
(a) Royal Arctic Institute.
(b) Polar Arctic Expedition.
(c) Polar Express Academy.
(d) Royal Polar Regiment.
11. What happens when Lyra and Roger enter the cellars where Tokay and wines are kept?
(a) They become intoxicated.
(b) They are caught by the Master.
(c) They get lost.
(d) They lose their daemons.
12. At the institute library, Lyra is shown several items including a
13. When Lyra makes a statement regarding electrons and Dust, Mrs. Coulter's daemon becomes what?
14. While riding on the zeppelin with Mrs. Coulter, Lyra feels what?
(a) Sleepy and cold.
(b) Hyperactive and confused.
(c) Frightened and remorseful.
(d) Excited and glamorous.
15. In Chapter 2, when the Master enters the Retiring Room, Lyra notices that he immediately looks at the
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Butler and the Master enter the Retiring Room, what does the Butler pour for Lord Asriel?
2. When Lyra is hiding with the Gyptians and uses the alethiometer in an attempt to see what Mrs. Coulter is doing, one of the symbols the needle stops at is the
3. Why can't Lyra join the Gyptians in their rescue effort?
4. What is inside the package wrapped in black velvet that the Master gives Lyra?
5. Coram's daemon is named what?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)