|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The lord of the western Gyptians convinces his people to collect money and gather fighters for an expedition North to do what?
(a) Save missing children.
(b) Gather Dust.
(c) Kidnap Mrs. Coulter.
(d) Hunt polar bears.
2. Ma Costa tells Lyra that the Gyptians are water people but the girl is what type of person?
3. Overhearing a group of men at the cocktail party hosted by Mrs. Coulter, Lyra learns that Dust particles are attracted to
(b) Only the very old.
(c) Adult humans.
(d) Young children.
4. After Lord Asriel tells Lyra that he has received funding for his next expedition, she asks to go with him. What does he say?
(a) She must stay behind and spy on the Master.
(b) He would take her, but there is no room.
(c) She can go if the school permits.
(d) He forbids it.
5. Dr. Broken Arrow is a Skraeling who mapped what?
(a) Sand dunes.
(b) Ocean currents.
(c) Wind patterns.
(d) Iceberg locations.
6. After Lyra, her friends, and some Gyptian children search for Billy, but end up not finding him, who else goes missing?
7. What happens to the two men who are abducting Lyra as they bind her legs and hands?
(a) Both die of heart attacks.
(b) Both fall into the canal.
(c) They are arrested by police.
(d) They are killed by arrows.
8. When Lyra is taken to a narrow boat captained by Ma Costa, the girl
(a) Screams loudly.
(b) Whistles loudly.
(c) Falls asleep.
(d) Falls overboard.
9. What does Kaisa tell Lyra about Lord Asriel and Dust?
(a) He is the one who actually discovered Dust.
(b) He is trying to use Dust to find a bridge between dimensions.
(c) He wants to sell Dust to the Gobblers for profit.
(d) He does not yet know the real nature of Dust.
10. Jacob Huismans informs Lyra and Farder that the missing children have been taken where?
11. What is a photogram?
(a) Photon measuring device.
(d) Micron scale.
12. Mrs. Coulter claims she has been to the North several times as a member of the
(a) Royal Arctic Institute.
(b) Polar Arctic Expedition.
(c) Royal Polar Regiment.
(d) Polar Express Academy.
13. Who is the king of the Gyptians?
(a) Jaxer Kerim.
(b) John Faa.
(c) Billy Costa.
(d) Monty Belacqua.
14. When Lyra refuses Mrs. Coulter's request and insists on wearing the banned item to the cocktail party, what happens to her daemon?
(a) It unexpectedly grows weak and faints.
(b) It goes crazy and attacks Mrs. Coulter.
(c) It stomps off in anger.
(d) It gets pinned to the ground by Mrs. Coulter's daemon.
15. Coram tells Lyra that the alethiometer decoder book can be found where?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 3, where are the children escorted to after they write letters?
2. What are Gobblers?
3. Coram's daemon is named what?
4. While she is hiding in the Retiring Room, what does Lyra see the Master pour into the drink prepared for Lord Asriel?
5. One of the pictures on the golden compass is of a what?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)