|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the alethiometer, the serpent represents what?
2. Jerry explains to Lyra that when a daemon finally settles,
(a) You stop growing.
(b) You perform the settling ceremony.
(c) You must give it a new name.
(d) You learn who you truly are.
3. Lyra believes her parents died in an airship accident, but what do Faa and Coram reveal to her about her father?
(a) He lives in India.
(b) He is hiding in South America.
(c) He is Lord Asriel.
(d) He is the Master.
4. The Librarian and the Enquirer are members of the group of what?
5. Why does the Gyptian ship head to Trollesund, the main port of Lapland?
(a) John Faa wants to visit a trusted friend there.
(b) The Gyptians must gather supplies there before continuing.
(c) John Faa knows of a witch consulate there.
(d) The missing children are presumed to be kept there.
6. Iorek Byrnison is
(a) An armored bear.
(b) A Gobbler.
(c) A Gyptian.
(d) A flightless witch.
7. Overhearing a group of men at the cocktail party hosted by Mrs. Coulter, Lyra learns that Dust particles are attracted to
(b) Young children.
(c) Adult humans.
(d) Only the very old.
8. When Faa and Coram speak to Lyra, why is she frightened at first?
(a) She fears they will turn her over to Mrs. Coulter.
(b) She has been told never to trust Gyptians.
(c) She fears they will scold her for having stolen a boat.
(d) Their water dragon tattoos frighten her.
9. What does Lyra's new friend, a seaman named Jerry, tell her is a good cure for seasickness?
(b) Eating crackers.
(c) Hard work.
(d) Staring into the horizon.
10. When Lyra reluctantly gives Mrs. Coulter a kiss on the cheek, what does she smell on the woman's skin?
(b) Fruity perfume.
(c) Metallic scent.
11. Kaisa tells Farder Coram that
(a) The whereabouts of the children are unknown.
(b) Not all clans will assist his efforts.
(c) The Oblation Board is planning a siege.
(d) Her mistress will not help him.
12. In the opening chapter, when Lord Asriel enters the Retiring Room, he sends the Butler out to get what?
(a) A looking glass and a periodical.
(b) A fountain pen and his journal.
(c) A screen and a projecting lantern.
(d) A tray and a decanter.
13. After Lyra, her friends, and some Gyptian children search for Billy, but end up not finding him, who else goes missing?
14. Lord Asriel is said to look like what when he yawns?
15. To conceal Lyra from the daemons of the police who are searching for her, the Costas hide her in their boat in a secret compartment made of what?
(b) Cast iron.
(c) Stainless steel.
(d) Cherry wood.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lyra and Roger explore the underground regions of the college and enter a crypt, they find coffins with
2. After running away from Mrs. Coulter, Lyra wanders through London before stopping at a stall to buy what?
3. In London, when the pair is not socializing, Mrs. Coulter teaches Lyra
4. How does Lyra feel about Mrs. Coulter being her mother?
5. The golden compass has the ability to do what?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)