|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How successful were the women's attempts to arrange their children together?
2. Who does the young girl remind the man of?
3. How does Mrs. Mo seem not to fit with the group?
4. What is Ying responsible for buying?
5. Who looks like months-old apples?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ailin made to blame by her friends?
2. What is Sweeping Past about?
3. What pact does Ailin make?
4. What connects the women?
5. What is the nature of their secrets?
6. How are the views of the old man and girl similar?
7. Why does the old man approach the girl?
8. What is the metaphor of A House Fire?
9. What is the significance of moving home?
10. What is Souvenir about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the character's problems with finding happiness teach them about life? How do they react to life's challenges? Does anyone in the book actually find happiness?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Chinese and American culture.
1. What are the differences between the two cultures?
2. In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)