|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What used to border Garden Road?
2. Why does Meilan have to use Mr. Chang's nickname?
3. What does the man offer to buy the girl?
4. What happens to the photographer?
5. Why does Ailin choose to marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of moving home?
2. What pact does Ailin make?
3. What is the metaphor of A House Fire?
4. Why is Ailin alone?
5. What does she do next?
6. How are the views of the old man and girl similar?
7. What is the significance of the photographer's note on the photo?
8. What happens when they are approached by a man?
9. What does she suggest to him?
10. What is Souvenir about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does any character prove themselves to be honest in the book? How does their honesty, or lack of honesty affect their lives?
Essay Topic 2
What was the society of China as depicted in the book? What problems does the author highlight about society in China? What within the society does the author suggest creates these problems?
Essay Topic 3
What do the character's problems with finding happiness teach them about life? How do they react to life's challenges? Does anyone in the book actually find happiness?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)