|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the teacher's daughter die?
2. Who feels guilty for encouraging Sonny to use drugs?
3. Who is the other black employee at Ruth's work?
4. What does Jesse's wife tell him to do at the start of Going to Meet the Man?
5. What does Ruth wonder about her coworkers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does te narrator fear in This Morning, This Evening, So Soon?
2. What does the narrator not want his son to feel in This Morning, This Evening, So Soon?
3. Describe how the teacher's daughter dies.
4. What was Jesse told to stop at work that day in Going to Meet the Man?
5. How does the teacher feel at the club with his brother in Sonny's Blues?
6. Describe Mr. Davis.
7. Describe where the narrator is from in This Morning, This Evening, So Soon.
8. What does Ruth realize at the end of Come Out the Wilderness?
9. Describe why Jesse is not surprised to see who the protesters leader is?
10. In Going to Meet the Man, describe Jesse's memory from his childhood.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and detail how the setting of Previous Condition is particularly important to the events that take place in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Thinking of The Rockpile describe and explain the element and importance of rebellion in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and explain what Ruth from Come Out the Wilderness realizes about her relationships with the white men she has dated and why they all fail.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)