|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the teacher feel when he goes to the jazz club with Sonny at the end of Sonny's Blues?
2. What does Ruth wonder about her roommate as she accepts her new job in Come Out the Wilderness?
3. In Sonny's Blues, who does the teacher run into after school one day?
4. Why has the narrator of This Morning, This Evening, So Soon been in a bad mood all day?
5. Where is the narrator's sister from in This Morning, This Evening, So Soon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the teacher feel at the club with his brother in Sonny's Blues?
2. Describe the narrator's last night in Paris.
3. What information does the teacher learn from the newspaper in Sonny's Blues?
4. Why is Jess frustrated at the beginning of Going to Meet the Man?
5. Describe Ruth Bowman's living situation in Come Out the Wilderness.
6. What was Jesse told to stop at work that day in Going to Meet the Man?
7. What does Ruth realize at the end of Come Out the Wilderness?
8. In Sonny's Blues, why did the teacher's mother tell Sonny the story about his uncle's death?
9. What does te narrator fear in This Morning, This Evening, So Soon?
10. What does Paul suggest to Ruth that makes her defenseless?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and explain why Eric from The Man Child is not a reliable character and how it affects the content of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and explain what drives the conflict of the story This Morning, This Evening, So Soon.
Essay Topic 3
Describe and explain what Baldwin suggests about a black woman's personal needs and also her placement in society in his story Come Out the Wilderness.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)