|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was seen taking money from one of the girl's purses in This Morning, This Evening, So Soon?
2. What is the teacher in Harlem reading at the beginning of Sonny's Blues?
3. In This Morning, This Evening, So Soon what did the narrator find himself face to face with in New York?
4. In Come Out the Wilderness, how does Ruth feel about her roommate's suggestion?
5. What government service to Sonny end up joining?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jess frustrated at the beginning of Going to Meet the Man?
2. How does the teacher react to Sonny's imprisonment?
3. In Going to Meet the Man, what does the memory of 8 year old Jesse allow him to do as an adult?
4. What information does the teacher learn from the newspaper in Sonny's Blues?
5. Describe Ruth Bowman's living situation in Come Out the Wilderness.
6. Describe the narrator's last night in Paris.
7. What does the narrator realize at the end of This Morning, This Evening, So Soon?
8. Describe Mr. Davis.
9. How does the teacher feel at the club with his brother in Sonny's Blues?
10. What does Paul suggest to Ruth that makes her defenseless?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Considering The Outing, discuss what Baldwin suggests about homosexuality and religious purity.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss how Jesse's childhood memory from when he was 8 years old enabled a connection that murdering someone of black race will bring supreme personal desire and intimacy.
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss why the narrator in This Morning, This Evening So Soon fears his son's move to America. What happened to the narrator that personally makes him feel such fear for his child?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)