|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the teacher in Harlem reading at the beginning of Sonny's Blues?
2. What begins to play in Jesse's head as he thinks about the unacceptable idea of burning the black race down?
3. How did the teacher's daughter die?
4. Where were Jesse and his parents leaving from when his dad was singing the song that Jesse gets stuck in his head?
5. In Come Out the Wilderness, where does Ruth work ?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator realize at the end of This Morning, This Evening, So Soon?
2. Describe why Jesse is not surprised to see who the protesters leader is?
3. Why is Jess frustrated at the beginning of Going to Meet the Man?
4. How does Sonny feel about using drugs after prison?
5. Describe Mr. Davis.
6. How does the teacher feel at the club with his brother in Sonny's Blues?
7. What does the narrator not want his son to feel in This Morning, This Evening, So Soon?
8. What does te narrator fear in This Morning, This Evening, So Soon?
9. What information does the teacher learn from the newspaper in Sonny's Blues?
10. What does Ruth think about as she accepts her new job offer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and explain how the narrator in This Morning, This Evening, So Soon is a reflection of Baldwin's own expatriate move to Paris during a time when blacks were treated very poorly in America.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and explain how the narrator's emphasis on his sister's heritage of the American south from This Morning, This Evening, So Soon foreshadows the narrator's contempt and disdain for the country.
Essay Topic 3
Thinking of The Rockpile describe and explain the element and importance of rebellion in the story.
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)