|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Ruth to lunch in Come Out the Wilderness?
2. Who did Jesse beat while he was at work earlier that day?
3. Who is Ruth Bowman living with in Come Out the Wilderness?
4. What was Jesse told to stop while he was working earlier that day?
5. Why is Jesse frustrated at the start of Going to Meet the Man?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Going to Meet the Man, what does the memory of 8 year old Jesse allow him to do as an adult?
2. Describe where the narrator currently lives in This Morning, This Evening, So Soon.
3. How does the teacher feel at the club with his brother in Sonny's Blues?
4. Describe how the teacher's daughter dies.
5. What does Paul suggest to Ruth that makes her defenseless?
6. How does Sonny feel about using drugs after prison?
7. Why is Jess frustrated at the beginning of Going to Meet the Man?
8. What was Jesse told to stop at work that day in Going to Meet the Man?
9. Describe where the narrator is from in This Morning, This Evening, So Soon.
10. How does the teacher react to Sonny's imprisonment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and explain what Baldwin suggests about a black woman's personal needs and also her placement in society in his story Come Out the Wilderness.
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss why the narrator in This Morning, This Evening So Soon fears his son's move to America. What happened to the narrator that personally makes him feel such fear for his child?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and detail how the setting of Previous Condition is particularly important to the events that take place in the story.
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)