|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the conversations deal with as conversations abound at lunch in The Outing?
2. In Previous Conditions, what is Peter threatened with that makes him agree to leave the apartment building?
3. What does Gabriel make a point to tell John?
4. Who finally is able to approach Sylvia?
5. What does Gabriel's wife instruct John to pick up amidst Gabriel's rage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is David in The Outing?
2. Why does David begin to feel like a sinner?
3. What does Eric remember about one of Jamie's birthdays?
4. Describe what the children are told will happen if they play on the rockpile in The Rockpile.
5. What does Roy tell John he's going to do one day?
6. What does Peter realize in Harlem?
7. Describe the community's festivities as they arrive at their destination in The Outing.
8. Why is John unhappy at the end of The Outing?
9. Who is Sylvia?
10. Describe who Jamie is.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss how Peter's skin color is the previous condition in the story, Previous Condition.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze all of the stories in Baldwin's novel, "Going to Meet the Man" and discuss the common theme that exists in each story by considering settings, characters and events that take place.
Essay Topic 3
Explain and discuss the significance of why the teacher in Sonny's Blues writes to his brother in prison after his daughter's death and not before.
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)