|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finally is able to approach Sylvia?
2. What is Peter's occupation in Previous Condition?
3. Who suggests to Peter he fight the eviction?
4. What is Eric doing at the beginning of The Man Child?
5. In Previous Conditions, what does Peter realize after he has a few drinks in Harlem?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ida's relationship with her husband.
2. Describe what Elizabeth fears in The Rockpile.
3. Describe what Previous Condition is about.
4. Who is David in The Outing?
5. Why will Jamie never have children, according to Eric's father?
6. What does Peter realize in Harlem?
7. What do Peter's friends suggest he fight in Previous Condition?
8. Describe how Gabriel is a hypocrite.
9. Describe what the children are told will happen if they play on the rockpile in The Rockpile.
10. Why is Peter nervous?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and detail how the setting of Previous Condition is particularly important to the events that take place in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the element of foreshadowing in The Man Child, Sonny's Blues, and This Morning, This Evening, So Soon.
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss why the narrator in This Morning, This Evening So Soon fears his son's move to America. What happened to the narrator that personally makes him feel such fear for his child?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)