|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What form of public execution does the Squad attend in Chapter 29?
2. How does Cacciato finally answer Paul Berlin's plea to agree to the murder?
3. What did Billy Boy and the others do to pass the time on the afternoon he died?
4. In this chapter, of what does Oscar Johnson say Stink Johnson was full?
5. Why are Third Squad arrested in Chapter 29?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Third Squad determine happens to Buff's big gun?
2. Describe Cacciato in Chapter 31.
3. Describe the hypothetical conversation Paul Berlin imagines with the young girl in hoop earrings.
4. Describe Captain Rhallon.
5. Describe Sarkin Aung Wan and Paul Berlin's debate in Chapter 44.
6. Why does Cacciato require convincing regarding the Martin murder?
7. In Chapter 31, what haunting event happens to Paul Berlin on his first day in the mountains?
8. What argument does Captain Rhallon make in Chapter 29 regarding the importance of a well-respected mission in War?
9. What implied ultimatum does Sarkin Aung Wan make to Paul Berlin in Chapter 43?
10. What news does Captain Rhallon bring Third Squad at the end of Chapter 33?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the juxtaposition of the two Lieutenants of the novel. What does Sidney Martin value above all int he War, and what does Lieutenant Corson value? How does the difference in age between these two men lead to these differing values? Explore the way the men of Third Squad respond to these two men. Which is beloved by the men and which is merely obeyed for a period?
Essay Topic 2
In the character of Li Van Hgoc, O'Brien has created a complex portrait of the enemy for Third Squad to encounter, both a victim and perpetrator of Viet Cong cruelty.
Write an essay analyzing Li Van Hgoc and what O'Brien is saying about the nature of oppressive governance. How is Li Van Hgoc a threat to the safety of Third Squad, and why is he so kind and forthcoming? How does his faith illustrate the collective fate of the Vietnamese people in this cruel war?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one member of the Cacciato search party and write an essay analyzing his attitude toward the mission. At any point in the mission, does he grow convinced that Third Squad is deserting? What was his attitude toward Cacciato before Cacciato disappeared into the jungle? How does the mission to Paris change this character's attitude toward the world, the war, and his fellow soldiers?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)