|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not among the lessons Paul Berlin enumerates in Chapter 42?
2. Why does the earths start shaking in Chapter 41?
3. In Chapter 36, what does Cacciato slip through the prison window to Paul Berlin?
4. In what country is the liner docked when it is searched by police in this chapter?
5. Cacciato tells Paul Berlin that the way to Paris is simple after one passes what city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the girl from California in Chapter 40.
2. How does Paul Berlin feel about death in Chapter 32?
3. Describe Sarkin Aung Wan and Paul Berlin's debate in Chapter 44.
4. How does Third Squad manage to depart the ocean liner at the beginning of Chapter 40?
5. How does Third Squad determine happens to Buff's big gun?
6. Describe Captain Rhallon.
7. How does Third Squad escape execution in Chapter 36?
8. What lesson does Oscar Johnson declare should be learned from Buff's death?
9. What argument does Captain Rhallon make in Chapter 29 regarding the importance of a well-respected mission in War?
10. How does Third Squad gain control of the VW van?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the character of Sarkin Aung Wan. How does she first appear to the reader in the narrative, and what are her origins as a fictitious creation? Why does Paul Berlin feel the need to add her to his war story? What purpose does she serve in his life? Analyze their final debate determine her function in Paul Berlin's delusion.
Essay Topic 2
The action of Going After Cacciato is characterized by long stretches of quiet and peace punctuated by by moments of sudden frenzy and violent panic. Write an essay about the dynamic between quiet and panic, in three parts:
Part 1) Why does Third Squad stop dead in its tracks when it arrives in Delhi? How is Lieutenant Corson affected by the peace of the region, and how do the other men respond? What finally breaks the quiet?
Part 2) How does Paul Berlin settle into Paris life more completely than the rest of the Squad? How does he nearly forget about the War entirely? What finally breaks the quiet?
Part 3) Write a paragraph about the silent village the Squad happens upon? How does the quiet drive the men of Third Squad to the breaking point? What finally breaks the quiet?
Essay Topic 3
O'Brien juxtaposes the elegant, surprising and deeply thematic story of Cacciato's flight to Paris with the banal and meaningless true stories of various deaths in Third Squad.
Write an essay about the meaninglessness of battle, focusing on three squad deaths. How do these men die? Is it for a great cause? How does the squad respond to their deaths, and what lessons are learned from their passing?
Part 1) Bernie Lynn and Frenchie Tucker
Part 2) Buff
Part 3) Sidney Martin
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)