|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 43, what does Sarkin Aung Wan say Paul Berlin has to do to prove his love?
2. At the end of Chapter 29, Sarkin Aung Wan repeatedly berates Paul Berlin for what reason?
3. What clothing accessory does Paul Berlin recall vividly about a young,crying Vietnamese girl in Chapter 39?
4. After New Years Day in Chapter 29, what year is it?
5. Which of the following is not among the lessons Paul Berlin enumerates in Chapter 42?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Sarkin Aung Wan and Paul Berlin's debate in Chapter 44.
2. How does Third Squad determine happens to Buff's big gun?
3. What does Buff's body look like when Cacciato finds it in Chapter 41?
4. In Chapter 31, what haunting event happens to Paul Berlin on his first day in the mountains?
5. Why does the Squad occasionally march down trails likely to be booby trapped?
6. Why does Third Squad intensify its search for Cacciato in Chapter 44?
7. What news does Captain Rhallon bring Third Squad at the end of Chapter 33?
8. Why does Doc Peret have to admit to the Cacciato chase in Chapter 33?
9. How does Third Squad gain control of the VW van?
10. How does Paul Berlin plan plan to cope with his fears in Chapter 31?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The action of Going After Cacciato is characterized by long stretches of quiet and peace punctuated by by moments of sudden frenzy and violent panic. Write an essay about the dynamic between quiet and panic, in three parts:
Part 1) Why does Third Squad stop dead in its tracks when it arrives in Delhi? How is Lieutenant Corson affected by the peace of the region, and how do the other men respond? What finally breaks the quiet?
Part 2) How does Paul Berlin settle into Paris life more completely than the rest of the Squad? How does he nearly forget about the War entirely? What finally breaks the quiet?
Part 3) Write a paragraph about the silent village the Squad happens upon? How does the quiet drive the men of Third Squad to the breaking point? What finally breaks the quiet?
Essay Topic 2
Three times over the course of the Cacciato pursuit, Third Squad escapes certain death with little or no explanation as to how their salvation came about. Write an essay about these instances and what they say about the nature of the Cacciato war story:
Part 1) What does the Squad discover in the VC tunnels on the Vietnam-Laos border? How does this experience inform Paul Berlin's understanding of the enemy, and how - in the end - does Third Squad escape the tunnels? Where do they emerge?
Part 2) How does Third Squad nearly die in Tehran? What eventually saves them, and to what extent do these rescuing agents seem to appear out of Paul Berlin's mind?
Part 3) Which member of Third Squad disappears when the ocean-liner to Greece is suddenly searched? How do the remaining men manage to escape what seems like an inescapable situation?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one member of the Cacciato search party and write an essay analyzing his attitude toward the mission. At any point in the mission, does he grow convinced that Third Squad is deserting? What was his attitude toward Cacciato before Cacciato disappeared into the jungle? How does the mission to Paris change this character's attitude toward the world, the war, and his fellow soldiers?
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)