|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Cacciato like Sidney Martin?
2. What famous military leader dies in Chapter 43?
3. What principality is Third Squad in at the beginning of Chapter 43?
4. At the end of Chapter 29, Sarkin Aung Wan repeatedly berates Paul Berlin for what reason?
5. Which of the following is not among the list of charges lodged against Third Squad?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Doc Peret get Third Squad out of trouble with Iranian authorities in Chapter 29?
2. How does Paul Berlin characterize the true war stories he has in Chapter 42?
3. What news does Captain Rhallon bring Third Squad at the end of Chapter 33?
4. What does Paul Berlin rationalize is the essential purpose of the Vietnam War at the end of Chapter 40?
5. Why does Stink Harris jump off the ship at the end of Chapter 38?
6. In Chapter 31, what haunting event happens to Paul Berlin on his first day in the mountains?
7. Why does Cacciato require convincing regarding the Martin murder?
8. Why does Third Squad intensify its search for Cacciato in Chapter 44?
9. How does Paul Berlin feel about death in Chapter 32?
10. Why does the Squad occasionally march down trails likely to be booby trapped?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay charting the progression of Oscar Johnson. How does he begin as a sympathetic figure - a man who cares for the safety of Third Squad - and slowly become a major antagonist to Paul Berlin? What does Oscar care for primarily? How are his grievances against the cavalier Sidney Martin similar to his grievances against the incompetent and deluded Paul Berlin?
Essay Topic 2
Midway through Going After Cacciato, Paul Berlin states that a fellow soldier's death can only be classified as a fact. Write an essay on the topic of death in the novel. Is there such a thing as a good death or a bad death in O'Brien's universe or is all death equally meaningless? Is there any difference in the way the author presents Bernie Lynn's death and the execution in Tehran? Is there any intimation from Berlin that there may be something after death?
Essay Topic 3
The character of Cacciato in the novel exists on two different planes: the Cacciato that exists, and the the Cacciato that exists in Paul Berlin's mind.
Write an essay about Cacciato as he appears in three different points in the novel. It this appearance real or invented? What is Cacciato doing, and how does this further the story? Does Cacciato seem to have any major objective?
Part 1) Cacciato in Delhi
Part 2) Cacciato outside the prison cell in Tehran
Part 3) Cacciato in the World's Greatest Lake Country
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)