|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What holiday does Third Squad celebrate in Tehran?
2. What part of Buff's body does Doc Peret refuse to collect?
3. At the end of Chapter 33, what does the brutal Iranian officer force Third Squad to call themselves?
4. In Chapter 39, Paul Berlin acknowledges that he went to war because he believes in what?
5. What does Captain Rhallon repeatedly say he would rather be doing than legal work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What shift in power does Lieutenant Corson acknowledge as he speaks to Paul Berlin in Chapter 43?
2. How does Third Squad manage to depart the ocean liner at the beginning of Chapter 40?
3. Describe Cacciato in Chapter 31.
4. What lesson does Oscar Johnson declare should be learned from Buff's death?
5. Describe the girl from California in Chapter 40.
6. How does Doc Peret get Third Squad out of trouble with Iranian authorities in Chapter 29?
7. How does Paul Berlin plan plan to cope with his fears in Chapter 31?
8. Why does Cacciato require convincing regarding the Martin murder?
9. How does Third Squad escape execution in Chapter 36?
10. How does Lieutenant Martin precipitate his own murder in Chapter 34?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one member of the Cacciato search party and write an essay analyzing his attitude toward the mission. At any point in the mission, does he grow convinced that Third Squad is deserting? What was his attitude toward Cacciato before Cacciato disappeared into the jungle? How does the mission to Paris change this character's attitude toward the world, the war, and his fellow soldiers?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the juxtaposition of the two Lieutenants of the novel. What does Sidney Martin value above all int he War, and what does Lieutenant Corson value? How does the difference in age between these two men lead to these differing values? Explore the way the men of Third Squad respond to these two men. Which is beloved by the men and which is merely obeyed for a period?
Essay Topic 3
Three times over the course of the Cacciato pursuit, Third Squad escapes certain death with little or no explanation as to how their salvation came about. Write an essay about these instances and what they say about the nature of the Cacciato war story:
Part 1) What does the Squad discover in the VC tunnels on the Vietnam-Laos border? How does this experience inform Paul Berlin's understanding of the enemy, and how - in the end - does Third Squad escape the tunnels? Where do they emerge?
Part 2) How does Third Squad nearly die in Tehran? What eventually saves them, and to what extent do these rescuing agents seem to appear out of Paul Berlin's mind?
Part 3) Which member of Third Squad disappears when the ocean-liner to Greece is suddenly searched? How do the remaining men manage to escape what seems like an inescapable situation?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)