|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two people stay in the apartment in Chapter 44, refusing to search for Cacciato?
2. What does Third Squad give to Stink Harris as a joke in Chapter 39?
3. Before leaving for Vietnam, Berlin's father tells him to keep an eye out for what?
4. At the end of Chapter 33, what does the brutal Iranian officer force Third Squad to call themselves?
5. From what state is the American girl in the VW van that picks up Third Squad outside of Zagreb?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Buff's body look like when Cacciato finds it in Chapter 41?
2. Why does Stink Harris jump off the ship at the end of Chapter 38?
3. Describe the hypothetical conversation Paul Berlin imagines with the young girl in hoop earrings.
4. What news does Captain Rhallon bring Third Squad at the end of Chapter 33?
5. What lesson does Oscar Johnson declare should be learned from Buff's death?
6. What shift in power does Lieutenant Corson acknowledge as he speaks to Paul Berlin in Chapter 43?
7. Describe Sarkin Aung Wan and Paul Berlin's debate in Chapter 44.
8. Why does Cacciato require convincing regarding the Martin murder?
9. How does Third Squad escape execution in Chapter 36?
10. How does Third Squad determine happens to Buff's big gun?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay detailing how Third Squad is a microcosm for the functional military as a whole, focusing on three allegorical characters and how the rest of the Squad relates to them:
Part 1) Lieutenant Sidney Martin represents the unquestioned mission-focused structure of the military. How is his conception of Vietnam dangerous to his men and incompatible with reality? How does Third Squad respond to him?
Part 2) How Oscar Johnson a response to Sidney Martin? Does he represent unofficial standard operating procedure? In what ways is he the most powerful figure in Third Squad as a result?
Part 3) If Martin and Johnson represent the most unyielding of war, how does Doc Peret represent the flexible compassion that combat engenders? What actions does he take that illustrate this?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout Going After Cacciato, both the author and the characters in the novel debate the reasons for American involvement in Vietnam. Write an essay about American interventionism, focusing on three instances in the narrative:
Part 1) In Tehran, Third Squad sits down for a drink with Captain Rhallon of the Iranian Savak. Why does he think America is having such a difficult time in Vietnam? How does Doc Peret respond to Rhallon's theory?
Part 2) Write a paragraph about Paul Berlin's promotion review for Spec Four. What reason does the unnamed major give for America's involvement in Vietnam? How does Paul Berlin respond to this?
Part 3) What hypothetical conversation does Paul Berlin hold with the young crying girl in a village Third Squad burned? What does he want to tell her about his reasons for coming to fight in her homeland?
Essay Topic 3
The character of Cacciato in the novel exists on two different planes: the Cacciato that exists, and the the Cacciato that exists in Paul Berlin's mind.
Write an essay about Cacciato as he appears in three different points in the novel. It this appearance real or invented? What is Cacciato doing, and how does this further the story? Does Cacciato seem to have any major objective?
Part 1) Cacciato in Delhi
Part 2) Cacciato outside the prison cell in Tehran
Part 3) Cacciato in the World's Greatest Lake Country
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)