|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 29, Sarkin Aung Wan repeatedly berates Paul Berlin for what reason?
2. To whom does Oscar Johnson offer the big gun before giving it to Harold Murphy?
3. What does the girl in the van think must be the worst part of going to war?
4. After setting off a booby trap, what action does Billy Boy Watkins keep attempting to do?
5. From what state is the American girl in the VW van that picks up Third Squad outside of Zagreb?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the juxtaposition of the two Lieutenants of the novel. What does Sidney Martin value above all int he War, and what does Lieutenant Corson value? How does the difference in age between these two men lead to these differing values? Explore the way the men of Third Squad respond to these two men. Which is beloved by the men and which is merely obeyed for a period?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the character of Sarkin Aung Wan. How does she first appear to the reader in the narrative, and what are her origins as a fictitious creation? Why does Paul Berlin feel the need to add her to his war story? What purpose does she serve in his life? Analyze their final debate determine her function in Paul Berlin's delusion.
Essay Topic 3
There are two Paul Berlins in Going After Cacciato: the weak-willed bad soldier of the real chapters, and the one that presses onward and gets the girl in the Cacciato story. Write an essay comparing these two. How does the protagonist of the novel reinvent himself in half the chapters? How does this reinvention help him deal with his desperate shortcomings in the other half of the novel? TO what extent is the second Paul Berlin a defense for the first?
This section contains 2,059 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)