|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As he marches with Third Squad in Chapter 31, what does Paul Berlin plan to do in the coming weeks?
2. At the end of Chapter 29, Sarkin Aung Wan repeatedly berates Paul Berlin for what reason?
3. What clothing accessory does Paul Berlin recall vividly about a young,crying Vietnamese girl in Chapter 39?
4. In Chapter 36, what does Cacciato slip through the prison window to Paul Berlin?
5. How does Cacciato characterize the death of Sidney Martin in Chapter 36?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lesson does Oscar Johnson declare should be learned from Buff's death?
2. How does Third Squad escape execution in Chapter 36?
3. How does Third Squad manage to depart the ocean liner at the beginning of Chapter 40?
4. What does Buff's body look like when Cacciato finds it in Chapter 41?
5. Describe the hypothetical conversation Paul Berlin imagines with the young girl in hoop earrings.
6. What shift in power does Lieutenant Corson acknowledge as he speaks to Paul Berlin in Chapter 43?
7. What news does Captain Rhallon bring Third Squad at the end of Chapter 33?
8. How does Third Squad determine happens to Buff's big gun?
9. How does Paul Berlin characterize the true war stories he has in Chapter 42?
10. In Chapter 31, what haunting event happens to Paul Berlin on his first day in the mountains?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrative of the novel begins with the announcement that Cacciato, the simpleton, has set off into the jungle to walk to Paris. Although the men of Third Squad are annoyed, they do not question the impetus that drove Cacciato. Write an essay on Paris as a symbol in Going After Cacciato. Why does the idea of walking to Paris appeal to all of the men in the Squad? What does Paris represent to each of them, and what doe they find themselves doing once they arrive?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the juxtaposition of the two Lieutenants of the novel. What does Sidney Martin value above all int he War, and what does Lieutenant Corson value? How does the difference in age between these two men lead to these differing values? Explore the way the men of Third Squad respond to these two men. Which is beloved by the men and which is merely obeyed for a period?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout Going After Cacciato, both the author and the characters in the novel debate the reasons for American involvement in Vietnam. Write an essay about American interventionism, focusing on three instances in the narrative:
Part 1) In Tehran, Third Squad sits down for a drink with Captain Rhallon of the Iranian Savak. Why does he think America is having such a difficult time in Vietnam? How does Doc Peret respond to Rhallon's theory?
Part 2) Write a paragraph about Paul Berlin's promotion review for Spec Four. What reason does the unnamed major give for America's involvement in Vietnam? How does Paul Berlin respond to this?
Part 3) What hypothetical conversation does Paul Berlin hold with the young crying girl in a village Third Squad burned? What does he want to tell her about his reasons for coming to fight in her homeland?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)