|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What cause of death does Doc Peret give for Billy Boy Watkins?
2. What is Paul Berlin surprised to still see in French countryside?
3. What item does Paul Berlin borrow from the sleeping Eddie in Chapter 30?
4. Why are Third Squad arrested in Chapter 29?
5. The street the Squad takes to escape Tehran is named after what American President?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lesson does Oscar Johnson declare should be learned from Buff's death?
2. Describe the hypothetical conversation Paul Berlin imagines with the young girl in hoop earrings.
3. How does Third Squad manage to depart the ocean liner at the beginning of Chapter 40?
4. What does Paul Berlin rationalize is the essential purpose of the Vietnam War at the end of Chapter 40?
5. What does Buff's body look like when Cacciato finds it in Chapter 41?
6. Why does Stink Harris jump off the ship at the end of Chapter 38?
7. Why does Doc Peret have to admit to the Cacciato chase in Chapter 33?
8. How does Paul Berlin feel about death in Chapter 32?
9. What implied ultimatum does Sarkin Aung Wan make to Paul Berlin in Chapter 43?
10. What public event does Third Squad witness in Chapter 29?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay charting the progression of Oscar Johnson. How does he begin as a sympathetic figure - a man who cares for the safety of Third Squad - and slowly become a major antagonist to Paul Berlin? What does Oscar care for primarily? How are his grievances against the cavalier Sidney Martin similar to his grievances against the incompetent and deluded Paul Berlin?
Essay Topic 2
In many ways, Going After Cacciato is a rumination on the idea of desertion. Paul Berlin longs to walk away from the war, and his fantasy of Cacciato's flight to Paris offers him a window into a desertion scenario. Write an essay about the agonized decision to desert, focusing on three moments in the novel:
Part 1) Why do the men of Third Squad choose to hold a vote on whether to continue the pursuit after they cross into Laos? What arguments are made, and who among the Squad cannot brook the idea of continuing on?
Part 2) When Third Squad is arrested for desertion in Tehran, how does Doc Peret defend them to Captain Rhallon? Why do they personally believe that they have not abandoned their greater mission?
Part 3) Sum up the Paris debate held between Sarkin Aung Wan and Paul Berlin. How does Paul Berlin defend his decision not to leave Third Squad? What temptation does he overcome?
Essay Topic 3
The narrative of the novel begins with the announcement that Cacciato, the simpleton, has set off into the jungle to walk to Paris. Although the men of Third Squad are annoyed, they do not question the impetus that drove Cacciato. Write an essay on Paris as a symbol in Going After Cacciato. Why does the idea of walking to Paris appeal to all of the men in the Squad? What does Paris represent to each of them, and what doe they find themselves doing once they arrive?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)