|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After what mid-west American town is the hotel where Third Squad checks in in Mandalay named?
2. According to Doc Peret, soldiers need to beware of an excess of what substance?
3. What does Paul Berlin think about during the Chapter 25 mountain march?
4. What item do the men find in their search of the train in Chapter 21?
5. What item informs Third Squad that Cacciato has left Delhi in Chapter 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Paul Berlin's call home in Chapter 24.
2. What plans does Paul Berlin make for his return home in Chapter 5?
3. Describe some ways that the men of the Paul Berlin's platoon organize themselves.
4. In what state is Pederson on the day he dies?
5. How does Sarkin Aung Wan react to Paul Berlin's description of their mission?
6. How does Paul Berlin succeed in keeping Sarkin Aung Wan with Third Squad?
7. Why can the Mayor of Ovissil not read Paul Berlin's history?
8. Why does Paul Berlin feel guilty for Frenchie Tucker and Bernie Lynn's deaths?
9. Why does the Squad take a vote on whether to continue pursuing Cacciato in Chapter 3?
10. How does Paul Berlin lose Cacciato in Mandalay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Three times over the course of the Cacciato pursuit, Third Squad escapes certain death with little or no explanation as to how their salvation came about. Write an essay about these instances and what they say about the nature of the Cacciato war story:
Part 1) What does the Squad discover in the VC tunnels on the Vietnam-Laos border? How does this experience inform Paul Berlin's understanding of the enemy, and how - in the end - does Third Squad escape the tunnels? Where do they emerge?
Part 2) How does Third Squad nearly die in Tehran? What eventually saves them, and to what extent do these rescuing agents seem to appear out of Paul Berlin's mind?
Part 3) Which member of Third Squad disappears when the ocean-liner to Greece is suddenly searched? How do the remaining men manage to escape what seems like an inescapable situation?
Essay Topic 2
In the longer narrative of Going After Cacciato, Paul Berlin invents a number of figures that do not exist.
Write an essay about three of these figures. What function do they serve in the story? Do they stem from any real experience that Paul Berlin has? What do they say about the political or spiritual realities of the Vietnam War?
Part 1) Jolly Chand
Part 2) Captain Rhallon
Part 3) Sarkin Aung Wan
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay detailing how Third Squad is a microcosm for the functional military as a whole, focusing on three allegorical characters and how the rest of the Squad relates to them:
Part 1) Lieutenant Sidney Martin represents the unquestioned mission-focused structure of the military. How is his conception of Vietnam dangerous to his men and incompatible with reality? How does Third Squad respond to him?
Part 2) How Oscar Johnson a response to Sidney Martin? Does he represent unofficial standard operating procedure? In what ways is he the most powerful figure in Third Squad as a result?
Part 3) If Martin and Johnson represent the most unyielding of war, how does Doc Peret represent the flexible compassion that combat engenders? What actions does he take that illustrate this?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)