Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 16, what do the men start doing to pass time during a period of relative quiet?
2. What item does Cacciato strew on the road to guide Third Squad?
3. Where does Paul Berlin decide he will take a flat when he moves to Paris after the war?
4. What are the "lakes" of the The World's Greatest Lake Country?
5. What name does Sarkin Aung Wan call Paul Berlin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What argument does Captain Rhallon make in Chapter 29 regarding the importance of a well-respected mission in War?
2. Describe Lieutenant Corson.
3. Why does Paul Berlin feel guilty for Frenchie Tucker and Bernie Lynn's deaths?
4. In Chapter 31, what haunting event happens to Paul Berlin on his first day in the mountains?
5. How does Lieutenant Martin precipitate his own murder in Chapter 34?
6. What lesson does Oscar Johnson declare should be learned from Buff's death?
7. How does Sidney Martin aggravate Third Squad in Chapter 25?
8. How does Third Squad gain control of the VW van?
9. How does Doc Peret get Third Squad out of trouble with Iranian authorities in Chapter 29?
10. What finally prods Third Squad to consider killing Sidney Martin?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the character of Sarkin Aung Wan. How does she first appear to the reader in the narrative, and what are her origins as a fictitious creation? Why does Paul Berlin feel the need to add her to his war story? What purpose does she serve in his life? Analyze their final debate determine her function in Paul Berlin's delusion.
Essay Topic 2
The character of Cacciato in the novel exists on two different planes: the Cacciato that exists, and the the Cacciato that exists in Paul Berlin's mind.
Write an essay about Cacciato as he appears in three different points in the novel. It this appearance real or invented? What is Cacciato doing, and how does this further the story? Does Cacciato seem to have any major objective?
Part 1) Cacciato in Delhi
Part 2) Cacciato outside the prison cell in Tehran
Part 3) Cacciato in the World's Greatest Lake Country
Essay Topic 3
In the longer narrative of Going After Cacciato, Paul Berlin invents a number of figures that do not exist.
Write an essay about three of these figures. What function do they serve in the story? Do they stem from any real experience that Paul Berlin has? What do they say about the political or spiritual realities of the Vietnam War?
Part 1) Jolly Chand
Part 2) Captain Rhallon
Part 3) Sarkin Aung Wan
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)