|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The sight of which soldier fills Sidney Martin with pride in Chapter 25?
2. What action is Sarkin Aung Wan doing in Chapter 17 when Paul Berlin explains to her that they must catch Cacciato before going to Paris?
3. In what state is Lieutenant Corson at the end of Third Squad's first night with Jolly Chand?
4. Which of the following is Paul Berlin shocked not to see on the mountain road in Chapter 25?
5. What does Third Squad discover in the mountains as they clear bodies in Chapter 27?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Paul Berlin feel about death in Chapter 32?
2. Describe the hypothetical conversation Paul Berlin imagines with the young girl in hoop earrings.
3. Why does Paul Berlin feel guilty for Frenchie Tucker and Bernie Lynn's deaths?
4. How does Cacciato toy with the Third Squad in this chapter?
5. What shift in power does Lieutenant Corson acknowledge as he speaks to Paul Berlin in Chapter 43?
6. What difficulty arises when Lieutenant Corson tries to leave Li Van Hgoc's tunnel in Chapter 15?
7. Why do Stink Harris and Bernie Lynn have a falling out?
8. What news does Doc Peret deliver to Lieutenant Corson at the beginning of the novel?
9. How does Doc Peret get Third Squad out of trouble with Iranian authorities in Chapter 29?
10. In Chapter 31, what haunting event happens to Paul Berlin on his first day in the mountains?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
O'Brien juxtaposes the elegant, surprising and deeply thematic story of Cacciato's flight to Paris with the banal and meaningless true stories of various deaths in Third Squad.
Write an essay about the meaninglessness of battle, focusing on three squad deaths. How do these men die? Is it for a great cause? How does the squad respond to their deaths, and what lessons are learned from their passing?
Part 1) Bernie Lynn and Frenchie Tucker
Part 2) Buff
Part 3) Sidney Martin
Essay Topic 2
The character of Cacciato in the novel exists on two different planes: the Cacciato that exists, and the the Cacciato that exists in Paul Berlin's mind.
Write an essay about Cacciato as he appears in three different points in the novel. It this appearance real or invented? What is Cacciato doing, and how does this further the story? Does Cacciato seem to have any major objective?
Part 1) Cacciato in Delhi
Part 2) Cacciato outside the prison cell in Tehran
Part 3) Cacciato in the World's Greatest Lake Country
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the juxtaposition of the two Lieutenants of the novel. What does Sidney Martin value above all int he War, and what does Lieutenant Corson value? How does the difference in age between these two men lead to these differing values? Explore the way the men of Third Squad respond to these two men. Which is beloved by the men and which is merely obeyed for a period?
This section contains 2,680 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)