|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the latrine in Chapter 4, whose name does Paul Berlin see written on the wall?
2. Where is Paul Berlin's place in the march order?
3. How long has Li Van Hgoc been sentenced to duty in the tunnel?
4. Which of the following items is not among those that Li Van Hgoc serves to Third Squad in Chapter 13?
5. Who falls in love in Delhi?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what state is Pederson on the day he dies?
2. Why does the Squad take a vote on whether to continue pursuing Cacciato in Chapter 3?
3. How does Paul Berlin lose Cacciato in Mandalay?
4. What finally prods Third Squad to consider killing Sidney Martin?
5. Why can the Mayor of Ovissil not read Paul Berlin's history?
6. What does Paul Berlin hope regarding Cacciato?
7. How does Third Squad end up on a cart with three Vietnamese women in Chapter 6?
8. Describe some ways that the men of the Paul Berlin's platoon organize themselves.
9. Describe Paul Berlin's call home in Chapter 24.
10. What news does Doc Peret deliver to Lieutenant Corson at the beginning of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One recurring theme throughout the full Tim O'Brien cannon is the war story. Write an essay about the idea of the war story and its function in the world of the combat serviceman. How is the war story a form of first-aid to the traumatized soldier? When do the characters in the novel bust out their well-developed war stories? How are war stories that are, perhaps, the least factual also the most truthful? Do they add meaning to the meaningless violence of war?
Essay Topic 2
Midway through Going After Cacciato, Paul Berlin states that a fellow soldier's death can only be classified as a fact. Write an essay on the topic of death in the novel. Is there such a thing as a good death or a bad death in O'Brien's universe or is all death equally meaningless? Is there any difference in the way the author presents Bernie Lynn's death and the execution in Tehran? Is there any intimation from Berlin that there may be something after death?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay charting the progression of Oscar Johnson. How does he begin as a sympathetic figure - a man who cares for the safety of Third Squad - and slowly become a major antagonist to Paul Berlin? What does Oscar care for primarily? How are his grievances against the cavalier Sidney Martin similar to his grievances against the incompetent and deluded Paul Berlin?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)