|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 16, what do the men start doing to pass time during a period of relative quiet?
2. What item does Cacciato strew on the road to guide Third Squad?
3. Where does Paul Berlin decide he will take a flat when he moves to Paris after the war?
4. What are the "lakes" of the The World's Greatest Lake Country?
5. What name does Sarkin Aung Wan call Paul Berlin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What argument does Captain Rhallon make in Chapter 29 regarding the importance of a well-respected mission in War?
2. Describe Lieutenant Corson.
3. Why does Paul Berlin feel guilty for Frenchie Tucker and Bernie Lynn's deaths?
4. In Chapter 31, what haunting event happens to Paul Berlin on his first day in the mountains?
5. How does Lieutenant Martin precipitate his own murder in Chapter 34?
6. What lesson does Oscar Johnson declare should be learned from Buff's death?
7. How does Sidney Martin aggravate Third Squad in Chapter 25?
8. How does Third Squad gain control of the VW van?
9. How does Doc Peret get Third Squad out of trouble with Iranian authorities in Chapter 29?
10. What finally prods Third Squad to consider killing Sidney Martin?
Essay Topic 1
The narrative of the novel begins with the announcement that Cacciato, the simpleton, has set off into the jungle to walk to Paris. Although the men of Third Squad are annoyed, they do not question the impetus that drove Cacciato. Write an essay on Paris as a symbol in Going After Cacciato. Why does the idea of walking to Paris appeal to all of the men in the Squad? What does Paris represent to each of them, and what doe they find themselves doing once they arrive?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the juxtaposition of the two Lieutenants of the novel. What does Sidney Martin value above all int he War, and what does Lieutenant Corson value? How does the difference in age between these two men lead to these differing values? Explore the way the men of Third Squad respond to these two men. Which is beloved by the men and which is merely obeyed for a period?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one member of the Cacciato search party and write an essay analyzing his attitude toward the mission. At any point in the mission, does he grow convinced that Third Squad is deserting? What was his attitude toward Cacciato before Cacciato disappeared into the jungle? How does the mission to Paris change this character's attitude toward the world, the war, and his fellow soldiers?
This section contains 2,579 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)