|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state is Lieutenant Corson at the end of Third Squad's first night with Jolly Chand?
2. What item does Cacciato strew on the road to guide Third Squad?
3. What is the next location on Third Squad's journey after Delhi?
4. What body part does Vaught lose after leaving the front?
5. In Chapter 9, why does Sidney Martin send Bernie Lynn into the tunnel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Paul Berlin feel guilty for Frenchie Tucker and Bernie Lynn's deaths?
2. What does Paul Berlin hope regarding Cacciato?
3. What news does Doc Peret deliver to Lieutenant Corson at the beginning of the novel?
4. What difficulty arises when Lieutenant Corson tries to leave Li Van Hgoc's tunnel in Chapter 15?
5. Why do living circumstances become awkward for Third Squad in Delhi?
6. What decision does Paul Berlin make at the observation tower in Chapter 8?
7. What finally prods Third Squad to consider killing Sidney Martin?
8. How does Sarkin Aung Wan react to Paul Berlin's description of their mission?
9. Why does Third Squad need to leave Delhi in Chapter 26?
10. Describe Paul Berlin's call home in Chapter 24.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Cacciato in the novel exists on two different planes: the Cacciato that exists, and the the Cacciato that exists in Paul Berlin's mind.
Write an essay about Cacciato as he appears in three different points in the novel. It this appearance real or invented? What is Cacciato doing, and how does this further the story? Does Cacciato seem to have any major objective?
Part 1) Cacciato in Delhi
Part 2) Cacciato outside the prison cell in Tehran
Part 3) Cacciato in the World's Greatest Lake Country
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the character of Sarkin Aung Wan. How does she first appear to the reader in the narrative, and what are her origins as a fictitious creation? Why does Paul Berlin feel the need to add her to his war story? What purpose does she serve in his life? Analyze their final debate determine her function in Paul Berlin's delusion.
Essay Topic 3
The action of Going After Cacciato is characterized by long stretches of quiet and peace punctuated by by moments of sudden frenzy and violent panic. Write an essay about the dynamic between quiet and panic, in three parts:
Part 1) Why does Third Squad stop dead in its tracks when it arrives in Delhi? How is Lieutenant Corson affected by the peace of the region, and how do the other men respond? What finally breaks the quiet?
Part 2) How does Paul Berlin settle into Paris life more completely than the rest of the Squad? How does he nearly forget about the War entirely? What finally breaks the quiet?
Part 3) Write a paragraph about the silent village the Squad happens upon? How does the quiet drive the men of Third Squad to the breaking point? What finally breaks the quiet?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)