|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is Paul Berlin shocked not to see on the mountain road in Chapter 25?
2. Which of the following characters does not go the MARS system to call home in Chapter 24?
3. What does Paul Berlin end up saying to his parents over the MARS system?
4. Which of the following is not an activity that Sarkin Aung Wan and Paul Berlin do to pass the time in Delhi?
5. What are the "lakes" of the The World's Greatest Lake Country?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Paul Berlin succeed in keeping Sarkin Aung Wan with Third Squad?
2. What surprise announcement does the Lieutenant make to Third Squad in Chapter 26?
3. How does Third Squad end up on a cart with three Vietnamese women in Chapter 6?
4. Describe some ways that the men of the Paul Berlin's platoon organize themselves.
5. What news does Doc Peret deliver to Lieutenant Corson at the beginning of the novel?
6. In what state is Pederson on the day he dies?
7. Why can the Mayor of Ovissil not read Paul Berlin's history?
8. Why do Stink Harris and Bernie Lynn have a falling out?
9. How does Sarkin Aung Wan react to Paul Berlin's description of their mission?
10. How does the Squad figure out that they are on the same train that Cacciato took?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One recurring theme throughout the full Tim O'Brien cannon is the war story. Write an essay about the idea of the war story and its function in the world of the combat serviceman. How is the war story a form of first-aid to the traumatized soldier? When do the characters in the novel bust out their well-developed war stories? How are war stories that are, perhaps, the least factual also the most truthful? Do they add meaning to the meaningless violence of war?
Essay Topic 2
The narrative of the novel begins with the announcement that Cacciato, the simpleton, has set off into the jungle to walk to Paris. Although the men of Third Squad are annoyed, they do not question the impetus that drove Cacciato. Write an essay on Paris as a symbol in Going After Cacciato. Why does the idea of walking to Paris appeal to all of the men in the Squad? What does Paris represent to each of them, and what doe they find themselves doing once they arrive?
Essay Topic 3
The action of Going After Cacciato is characterized by long stretches of quiet and peace punctuated by by moments of sudden frenzy and violent panic. Write an essay about the dynamic between quiet and panic, in three parts:
Part 1) Why does Third Squad stop dead in its tracks when it arrives in Delhi? How is Lieutenant Corson affected by the peace of the region, and how do the other men respond? What finally breaks the quiet?
Part 2) How does Paul Berlin settle into Paris life more completely than the rest of the Squad? How does he nearly forget about the War entirely? What finally breaks the quiet?
Part 3) Write a paragraph about the silent village the Squad happens upon? How does the quiet drive the men of Third Squad to the breaking point? What finally breaks the quiet?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)