|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Li Van Hgoc been sentenced to duty in the tunnel?
2. Which of the following names is not among the dead listed in the beginning of Chapter 1?
3. How does Third Squad get Lieutenant Corson out of Delhi in Chapter 26?
4. What official houses Third Squad at their destination in of Chapter 27?
5. The sight of which soldier fills Sidney Martin with pride in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do living circumstances become awkward for Third Squad in Delhi?
2. How does Sidney Martin aggravate Third Squad in Chapter 25?
3. How do two men from Third Squad die in Chapter 9?
4. Describe some ways that the men of the Paul Berlin's platoon organize themselves.
5. How does Paul Berlin lose Cacciato in Mandalay?
6. Why does the Squad take a vote on whether to continue pursuing Cacciato in Chapter 3?
7. Why can the Mayor of Ovissil not read Paul Berlin's history?
8. Why do Stink Harris and Bernie Lynn have a falling out?
9. How does the Squad figure out that they are on the same train that Cacciato took?
10. What decision does Paul Berlin make at the observation tower in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay charting the progression of Oscar Johnson. How does he begin as a sympathetic figure - a man who cares for the safety of Third Squad - and slowly become a major antagonist to Paul Berlin? What does Oscar care for primarily? How are his grievances against the cavalier Sidney Martin similar to his grievances against the incompetent and deluded Paul Berlin?
Essay Topic 2
Paul Berlin is clearly a surrogate for Tim O'Brien in Going After Cacciato, developing the narrative as it is happening. Write an essay analyzing the storyteller role of Paul Berlin in the novel. How is Berlin's greatest weakness his tendency to self-mythologize? Is the central narrative of the novel, in fact, a massive self-delusion? In the end, is the creation of this delusion something beautiful, alarming, or both?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the juxtaposition of the two Lieutenants of the novel. What does Sidney Martin value above all int he War, and what does Lieutenant Corson value? How does the difference in age between these two men lead to these differing values? Explore the way the men of Third Squad respond to these two men. Which is beloved by the men and which is merely obeyed for a period?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)