|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cacciato escape while Paul Berlin is passed out?
2. What does Cacciato leave as a booby trap for Third Squad in this chapter?
3. What does Third Squad discover in the mountains as they clear bodies in Chapter 27?
4. In what American city did Jolly Chand live for a period?
5. What race does Doc Peret say is evident in Cacciato's appearance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Paul Berlin feel guilty for Frenchie Tucker and Bernie Lynn's deaths?
2. How does Paul Berlin succeed in keeping Sarkin Aung Wan with Third Squad?
3. What plans does Paul Berlin make for his return home in Chapter 5?
4. What finally prods Third Squad to consider killing Sidney Martin?
5. Describe Paul Berlin's call home in Chapter 24.
6. How does Sarkin Aung Wan react to Paul Berlin's description of their mission?
7. How does Paul Berlin lose Cacciato in Mandalay?
8. Why does the Squad take a vote on whether to continue pursuing Cacciato in Chapter 3?
9. Why does Third Squad need to leave Delhi in Chapter 26?
10. How does Sidney Martin aggravate Third Squad in Chapter 25?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Cacciato in the novel exists on two different planes: the Cacciato that exists, and the the Cacciato that exists in Paul Berlin's mind.
Write an essay about Cacciato as he appears in three different points in the novel. It this appearance real or invented? What is Cacciato doing, and how does this further the story? Does Cacciato seem to have any major objective?
Part 1) Cacciato in Delhi
Part 2) Cacciato outside the prison cell in Tehran
Part 3) Cacciato in the World's Greatest Lake Country
Essay Topic 2
The narrative of the novel begins with the announcement that Cacciato, the simpleton, has set off into the jungle to walk to Paris. Although the men of Third Squad are annoyed, they do not question the impetus that drove Cacciato. Write an essay on Paris as a symbol in Going After Cacciato. Why does the idea of walking to Paris appeal to all of the men in the Squad? What does Paris represent to each of them, and what doe they find themselves doing once they arrive?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout Going After Cacciato, both the author and the characters in the novel debate the reasons for American involvement in Vietnam. Write an essay about American interventionism, focusing on three instances in the narrative:
Part 1) In Tehran, Third Squad sits down for a drink with Captain Rhallon of the Iranian Savak. Why does he think America is having such a difficult time in Vietnam? How does Doc Peret respond to Rhallon's theory?
Part 2) Write a paragraph about Paul Berlin's promotion review for Spec Four. What reason does the unnamed major give for America's involvement in Vietnam? How does Paul Berlin respond to this?
Part 3) What hypothetical conversation does Paul Berlin hold with the young crying girl in a village Third Squad burned? What does he want to tell her about his reasons for coming to fight in her homeland?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)