|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do the the events of Chapter 2 occur in relation to Chapter 1?
2. What bit of information does Oscar Johnson not give to Cacciato during their parlay?
3. What name does Sarkin Aung Wan call Paul Berlin?
4. How does Doc Peret describe the quiet of the village in Chapter 16?
5. What kind of animal do the Third Squad see Cacciato swinging around in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Squad figure out that they are on the same train that Cacciato took?
2. What surprise announcement does the Lieutenant make to Third Squad in Chapter 26?
3. Describe Lieutenant Corson.
4. How do two men from Third Squad die in Chapter 9?
5. What does Paul Berlin hope regarding Cacciato?
6. What are Sidney Martin's values regarding war as described in Chapter 25?
7. Describe Paul Berlin's call home in Chapter 24.
8. Describe some ways that the men of the Paul Berlin's platoon organize themselves.
9. Why does Third Squad need to leave Delhi in Chapter 26?
10. What decision does Paul Berlin make at the observation tower in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Cacciato in the novel exists on two different planes: the Cacciato that exists, and the the Cacciato that exists in Paul Berlin's mind.
Write an essay about Cacciato as he appears in three different points in the novel. It this appearance real or invented? What is Cacciato doing, and how does this further the story? Does Cacciato seem to have any major objective?
Part 1) Cacciato in Delhi
Part 2) Cacciato outside the prison cell in Tehran
Part 3) Cacciato in the World's Greatest Lake Country
Essay Topic 2
Choose one member of the Cacciato search party and write an essay analyzing his attitude toward the mission. At any point in the mission, does he grow convinced that Third Squad is deserting? What was his attitude toward Cacciato before Cacciato disappeared into the jungle? How does the mission to Paris change this character's attitude toward the world, the war, and his fellow soldiers?
Essay Topic 3
Three times over the course of the Cacciato pursuit, Third Squad escapes certain death with little or no explanation as to how their salvation came about. Write an essay about these instances and what they say about the nature of the Cacciato war story:
Part 1) What does the Squad discover in the VC tunnels on the Vietnam-Laos border? How does this experience inform Paul Berlin's understanding of the enemy, and how - in the end - does Third Squad escape the tunnels? Where do they emerge?
Part 2) How does Third Squad nearly die in Tehran? What eventually saves them, and to what extent do these rescuing agents seem to appear out of Paul Berlin's mind?
Part 3) Which member of Third Squad disappears when the ocean-liner to Greece is suddenly searched? How do the remaining men manage to escape what seems like an inescapable situation?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)