|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which European river do the men cross at the end of Chapter 40?
(a) The Rhine.
(b) The Seine.
(c) The Danube.
(d) The Rhine.
2. Before leaving for Vietnam, Berlin's father tells him to keep an eye out for what?
(a) Good stuff.
(c) A reason to stay alive.
(d) The enemy.
3. What cause of death does Doc Peret give for Billy Boy Watkins?
(a) Heart attack.
(b) Blood loss.
4. What is the origin of Buff's nickname?
(a) He is obsessed with his toned physique.
(b) He comes from Buffalo, NY.
(c) He is suppsoed to be big as a buffalo.
(d) He always separates men when they fight.
5. As he marches with Third Squad in Chapter 31, what does Paul Berlin plan to do in the coming weeks?
(a) Learn to get by on two hours of sleep.
(b) Write a letter to his father.
(c) Learn to act like them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the boy in Chapter 31 do involuntarily from time to time?
2. What does Paul Berlin begin doing involuntarily as he lays awake in Chapter 31?
3. Early in his arrival, Paul Berlin is warned by another soldier not to do what in regarding a paddy?
4. What part of Buff's body does Doc Peret refuse to collect?
5. Where does the girl say she has contacts that can help the soldiers escape military duty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What shift in power does Lieutenant Corson acknowledge as he speaks to Paul Berlin in Chapter 43?
2. What does Buff's body look like when Cacciato finds it in Chapter 41?
3. How does Doc Peret get Third Squad out of trouble with Iranian authorities in Chapter 29?
4. What news does Captain Rhallon bring Third Squad at the end of Chapter 33?
5. How does Paul Berlin feel about death in Chapter 32?
6. Why does Doc Peret have to admit to the Cacciato chase in Chapter 33?
7. Why does Third Squad intensify its search for Cacciato in Chapter 44?
8. What public event does Third Squad witness in Chapter 29?
9. Describe Sarkin Aung Wan and Paul Berlin's debate in Chapter 44.
10. Why does the Squad occasionally march down trails likely to be booby trapped?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)