|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Lieutenant Corson tell Paul Berlin to look out for when the latter says he will be staying in Paris?
(a) Oscar Johnson.
(c) Doc Peret.
(d) Sarkin Aung Wan.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 31, as Third Squad stops during the march, what does Paul Berlin do?
(a) Write a letter.
(c) Fall asleep.
(d) Pee in a paddy.
3. Who makes of up the phrase "The World's Greatest Lake Country?"
(a) Oscar Johnson.
(b) Stink Harris.
(c) Eddie Lazzutti.
(d) Doc Peret.
4. With what word does Paul Berlin describe Billy Boy Watkins' death in Chapter 32?
5. In Chapter, Doc Peret tells Captain Rhallon that the nonexistent treaty legitimizing Third Squad's international travel was ratified in what city?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the gun-chewing boy in Chapter 31?
2. Where does the girl say she has contacts that can help the soldiers escape military duty?
3. As he marches with Third Squad in Chapter 31, what does Paul Berlin plan to do in the coming weeks?
4. Into what country does Third Squad arrive at the end of Chapter 36?
5. In Chapter 44, who discovers that Third Squad is a military outfit?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lieutenant Martin precipitate his own murder in Chapter 34?
2. Why does the Squad occasionally march down trails likely to be booby trapped?
3. Why does Doc Peret have to admit to the Cacciato chase in Chapter 33?
4. What news does Captain Rhallon bring Third Squad at the end of Chapter 33?
5. What does Paul Berlin rationalize is the essential purpose of the Vietnam War at the end of Chapter 40?
6. How does Third Squad escape execution in Chapter 36?
7. What implied ultimatum does Sarkin Aung Wan make to Paul Berlin in Chapter 43?
8. What public event does Third Squad witness in Chapter 29?
9. How does Paul Berlin feel about death in Chapter 32?
10. Describe the girl from California in Chapter 40.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)