|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 39, Paul Berlin acknowledges that he went to war because he believes in what?
(b) The Mission.
2. In Chapter 36, what does Cacciato slip through the prison window to Paul Berlin?
(b) A rifle.
(c) A Bible.
(d) A cyanide capsule.
3. What form of public execution does the Squad attend in Chapter 29?
(a) A hanging.
(b) A firing squad.
(c) A beheading.
(d) A stoning.
4. In Chapter 44, who discovers that Third Squad is a military outfit?
(a) A desk clerk.
(b) A retired miltary officer.
(c) A priest.
(d) A French policeman.
5. Who nurses Lieutenant Corson back to health in Chapter 38?
(a) Oscar Johnson.
(b) Jolly Chand.
(c) Doc Peret.
(d) Sarkin Aung Wan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not among the lessons Paul Berlin enumerates in Chapter 42?
2. According to Paul Berlin in Chapter 37, where are most booby traps located?
3. What clothing accessory does Paul Berlin recall vividly about a young,crying Vietnamese girl in Chapter 39?
4. Cacciato tells Paul Berlin that the way to Paris is simple after one passes what city?
5. According to Doc Peret in Chapter 29, what is the root of Lieutenant Corson's illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Third Squad intensify its search for Cacciato in Chapter 44?
2. What public event does Third Squad witness in Chapter 29?
3. How does Paul Berlin feel about death in Chapter 32?
4. Why does the Squad occasionally march down trails likely to be booby trapped?
5. In Chapter 31, what haunting event happens to Paul Berlin on his first day in the mountains?
6. How does Third Squad determine happens to Buff's big gun?
7. What shift in power does Lieutenant Corson acknowledge as he speaks to Paul Berlin in Chapter 43?
8. Describe the girl from California in Chapter 40.
9. Why does Stink Harris jump off the ship at the end of Chapter 38?
10. What lesson does Oscar Johnson declare should be learned from Buff's death?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)