|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the earths start shaking in Chapter 41?
(a) An aftershock from a quake.
(b) A typhoon is blowing in.
(c) Another squad is blowing tunnels.
(d) Lieutenant Corson has called in an airstrike a few miles away.
2. What form of public execution does the Squad attend in Chapter 29?
(a) A stoning.
(b) A firing squad.
(c) A hanging.
(d) A beheading.
3. What is Paul Berlin surprised to still see in French countryside?
(b) Viet Cong.
(c) World War II damage.
(d) German trenches.
4. According to the major at Paul Berlin's promotion review, why are they fighting in Vietnam?
(a) To spread Democracy.
(b) To stop Communism.
(c) To win.
(d) No reason.
5. Who makes of up the phrase "The World's Greatest Lake Country?"
(a) Stink Harris.
(b) Eddie Lazzutti.
(c) Doc Peret.
(d) Oscar Johnson.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 44, what does Sarkin Aung Wan state at the beginning of her speech she is pleading for?
2. As he marches with Third Squad in Chapter 31, what does Paul Berlin plan to do in the coming weeks?
3. Where does Third Squad determine it has to bring Cacciato to avoid being labeled deserters?
4. Who eventually gets Buff's helmet in Chapter 41?
5. To whom does Oscar Johnson offer the big gun before giving it to Harold Murphy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Captain Rhallon.
2. How does Third Squad escape execution in Chapter 36?
3. How does Paul Berlin feel about death in Chapter 32?
4. Describe the girl from California in Chapter 40.
5. What implied ultimatum does Sarkin Aung Wan make to Paul Berlin in Chapter 43?
6. What news does Captain Rhallon bring Third Squad at the end of Chapter 33?
7. In Chapter 31, what haunting event happens to Paul Berlin on his first day in the mountains?
8. How does Third Squad manage to depart the ocean liner at the beginning of Chapter 40?
9. What does Paul Berlin rationalize is the essential purpose of the Vietnam War at the end of Chapter 40?
10. How does Third Squad gain control of the VW van?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)