|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 31, as Third Squad stops during the march, what does Paul Berlin do?
(a) Fall asleep.
(b) Pee in a paddy.
(c) Write a letter.
2. Which member of Third Squad jumps off the ship and disappears at the end of Chapter 38?
(a) Stink Harris.
(b) Doc Peret.
(c) Eddie Lazzutti.
(d) Oscar Johnson.
3. What is Cacciato doing while the other men vote to murder Sidney Martin?
(c) Relieving himself.
(d) Searching the VC tunnel.
4. Who nurses Lieutenant Corson back to health in Chapter 38?
(a) Doc Peret.
(b) Oscar Johnson.
(c) Jolly Chand.
(d) Sarkin Aung Wan.
5. In Chapter 44, who discovers that Third Squad is a military outfit?
(a) A French policeman.
(b) A desk clerk.
(c) A priest.
(d) A retired miltary officer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sidney Martin do in Chapter 34 to put his men on notice?
2. What happens to Paul Berlin when he is removed from isolation at the beginning of Chapter 33?
3. In Chapter, Doc Peret tells Captain Rhallon that the nonexistent treaty legitimizing Third Squad's international travel was ratified in what city?
4. How does Cacciato finally answer Paul Berlin's plea to agree to the murder?
5. From what state is the American girl in the VW van that picks up Third Squad outside of Zagreb?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Cacciato in Chapter 31.
2. How does Third Squad escape execution in Chapter 36?
3. Describe the girl from California in Chapter 40.
4. How does Lieutenant Martin precipitate his own murder in Chapter 34?
5. How does Paul Berlin characterize the true war stories he has in Chapter 42?
6. Describe Sarkin Aung Wan and Paul Berlin's debate in Chapter 44.
7. What does Paul Berlin rationalize is the essential purpose of the Vietnam War at the end of Chapter 40?
8. Why does Cacciato require convincing regarding the Martin murder?
9. Describe Captain Rhallon.
10. How does Paul Berlin feel about death in Chapter 32?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)