|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is Paul Berlin held in isolation after being arrested by the Iranian authorities?
(a) One week.
(b) One day.
(c) One month.
(d) One year.
2. What is the boy from Chapter 31's favorite type of gum?
(a) Black Jack.
(b) Double mint.
(c) Juicy Fruit.
(d) Big League Chew.
3. According to Doc Peret, what are the two reasons why soldiers choose not to desert?
(a) Fear and self-respect.
(b) Despair and inebriation.
(c) Stupidity and weakness.
(d) Duty and belief in mission.
4. Which European river do the men cross at the end of Chapter 40?
(a) The Seine.
(b) The Rhine.
(c) The Danube.
(d) The Rhine.
5. Where does the girl say she has contacts that can help the soldiers escape military duty?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the origin of Buff's nickname?
2. Who discovers Buff's body in Chapter 41?
3. At the end of Chapter 29, Sarkin Aung Wan repeatedly berates Paul Berlin for what reason?
4. Who eventually gets Buff's helmet in Chapter 41?
5. To whom does Oscar Johnson offer the big gun before giving it to Harold Murphy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Stink Harris jump off the ship at the end of Chapter 38?
2. Describe Cacciato in Chapter 31.
3. What public event does Third Squad witness in Chapter 29?
4. What argument does Captain Rhallon make in Chapter 29 regarding the importance of a well-respected mission in War?
5. How does Third Squad gain control of the VW van?
6. How does Paul Berlin feel about death in Chapter 32?
7. Describe the hypothetical conversation Paul Berlin imagines with the young girl in hoop earrings.
8. Why does Third Squad intensify its search for Cacciato in Chapter 44?
9. Why does the Squad occasionally march down trails likely to be booby trapped?
10. How does Paul Berlin characterize the true war stories he has in Chapter 42?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)