|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which member of Third Squad jumps off the ship and disappears at the end of Chapter 38?
(a) Oscar Johnson.
(b) Eddie Lazzutti.
(c) Doc Peret.
(d) Stink Harris.
2. With what word does Paul Berlin describe Billy Boy Watkins' death in Chapter 32?
3. In Chapter 44, who discovers that Third Squad is a military outfit?
(a) A desk clerk.
(b) A priest.
(c) A French policeman.
(d) A retired miltary officer.
4. According to Doc Peret, what are the two reasons why soldiers choose not to desert?
(a) Stupidity and weakness.
(b) Fear and self-respect.
(c) Duty and belief in mission.
(d) Despair and inebriation.
5. As he marches with Third Squad in Chapter 31, what does Paul Berlin plan to do in the coming weeks?
(a) Learn to act like them.
(b) Learn to get by on two hours of sleep.
(d) Write a letter to his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Paul Berlin in Chapter 37, where are most booby traps located?
2. What holiday does Third Squad celebrate in Tehran?
3. In Chapter 36, what does Cacciato slip through the prison window to Paul Berlin?
4. What form of public execution does the Squad attend in Chapter 29?
5. Who discovers Buff's body in Chapter 41?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Third Squad manage to depart the ocean liner at the beginning of Chapter 40?
2. What lesson does Oscar Johnson declare should be learned from Buff's death?
3. How does Paul Berlin plan plan to cope with his fears in Chapter 31?
4. What implied ultimatum does Sarkin Aung Wan make to Paul Berlin in Chapter 43?
5. Why does Doc Peret have to admit to the Cacciato chase in Chapter 33?
6. Why does Stink Harris jump off the ship at the end of Chapter 38?
7. How does Doc Peret get Third Squad out of trouble with Iranian authorities in Chapter 29?
8. In Chapter 31, what haunting event happens to Paul Berlin on his first day in the mountains?
9. Why does Cacciato require convincing regarding the Martin murder?
10. What news does Captain Rhallon bring Third Squad at the end of Chapter 33?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)