|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 27, what assumption about himself does Paul Berlin acknowledge is true?
(a) He will not fight well.
(b) He will never really leave the Midwest.
(c) He does not believe in the War.
(d) He is a writer at heart.
2. What bit of information does Oscar Johnson not give to Cacciato during their parlay?
(a) He cannot walk to Paris.
(b) He is facing a court martial.
(c) He will starve to death in the jungle.
(d) The lieutenant will make a deal with him.
3. What does Paul Berlin plan to stop doing after the war is over?
4. How does Li Van Hgoc maintain constant communication with the world above him?
(a) A telegraph machine.
(b) A foot messenger.
(c) A series of tubes.
(d) A periscope.
5. What proclamation does Doc Peret repeatedly make as the squad travels on the cart?
(a) Cacciato is dead.
(b) They will all be court-martialed.
(c) Armageddon is nigh.
(d) The war is over.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not an activity that Sarkin Aung Wan and Paul Berlin do to pass the time in Delhi?
2. At what is Pederson shooting as he dies in the paddy?
3. What item informs Third Squad that Cacciato has left Delhi in Chapter 26?
4. When do the the events of Chapter 2 occur in relation to Chapter 1?
5. How does Cacciato escape while Paul Berlin is passed out?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do two men from Third Squad die in Chapter 9?
2. Why does Third Squad need to leave Delhi in Chapter 26?
3. What does Paul Berlin hope regarding Cacciato?
4. How does Paul Berlin lose Cacciato in Mandalay?
5. Why does the Squad take a vote on whether to continue pursuing Cacciato in Chapter 3?
6. How does the Squad figure out that they are on the same train that Cacciato took?
7. How does the quiet of the village in Chapter 16 become insidious?
8. Why do living circumstances become awkward for Third Squad in Delhi?
9. Why does Paul Berlin feel guilty for Frenchie Tucker and Bernie Lynn's deaths?
10. How does Third Squad end up on a cart with three Vietnamese women in Chapter 6?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)