|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Paul Berlin's place in the march order?
(a) He takes the back.
(b) He is in the exact middle.
(c) He is on point.
(d) He is right behind the Lieutenant.
2. In Chapter 5, what month does Paul Berlin determine it is?
3. What finally breaks the unnerving calm at the end of Chapter 16?
(a) Rudy Chassler trips a mine.
(b) A new soldier shoots himself in the foot.
(c) The VC finally attacks the village.
(d) Cacciato and Stink Harris get in a fistfight.
4. According to Doc Peret, soldiers need to beware of an excess of what substance?
5. Which of the following characters does not go the MARS system to call home in Chapter 24?
(a) Doc Peret.
(b) Oscar Johnson.
(c) Eddie Lazzutti
(d) Sidney Martin.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 22, the author mentions that which man was never expected to survive the war and didn't?
2. How does Li Van Hgoc maintain constant communication with the world above him?
3. What action is Sarkin Aung Wan doing in Chapter 17 when Paul Berlin explains to her that they must catch Cacciato before going to Paris?
4. What city are the three refugee women in the cart from?
5. What action do the two older women continually do as they ride with Third Squad?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can the Mayor of Ovissil not read Paul Berlin's history?
2. Why do Stink Harris and Bernie Lynn have a falling out?
3. What surprise announcement does the Lieutenant make to Third Squad in Chapter 26?
4. How does Paul Berlin succeed in keeping Sarkin Aung Wan with Third Squad?
5. How does Cacciato toy with the Third Squad in this chapter?
6. What is the result of Chapter 3's vote?
7. Describe some ways that the men of the Paul Berlin's platoon organize themselves.
8. What decision does Paul Berlin make at the observation tower in Chapter 8?
9. What news does Doc Peret deliver to Lieutenant Corson at the beginning of the novel?
10. What are Sidney Martin's values regarding war as described in Chapter 25?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)