|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what term do the men of Third Squad refer to Lieutenant Corson after he tells them he will not be leaving Delhi?
(a) Walking wounded.
(c) Sunday civilian.
2. Who wants to fire on Cacciato in this chapter?
(a) Paul Berlin.
(b) Stink Harris.
(c) Oscar Johnson.
(d) Eddie Lazzuti.
3. What does Paul Berlin's host in Chapter 27 tell him he does not have?
(a) A soul.
(b) A mission.
(c) A friend.
(d) A history.
4. What proclamation does Doc Peret repeatedly make as the squad travels on the cart?
(a) They will all be court-martialed.
(b) Cacciato is dead.
(c) The war is over.
(d) Armageddon is nigh.
5. In Chapter 27, what assumption about himself does Paul Berlin acknowledge is true?
(a) He is a writer at heart.
(b) He does not believe in the War.
(c) He will not fight well.
(d) He will never really leave the Midwest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of animal do the Third Squad see Cacciato swinging around in this chapter?
2. What finally breaks the unnerving calm at the end of Chapter 16?
3. What item does Jolly Chand serve Third Squad in Chapter 23 that upsets her husband?
4. Which of the following characters does not go the MARS system to call home in Chapter 24?
5. In what state is Lieutenant Corson at the end of Third Squad's first night with Jolly Chand?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Stink Harris and Bernie Lynn have a falling out?
2. Describe some ways that the men of the Paul Berlin's platoon organize themselves.
3. What difficulty arises when Lieutenant Corson tries to leave Li Van Hgoc's tunnel in Chapter 15?
4. How does Paul Berlin succeed in keeping Sarkin Aung Wan with Third Squad?
5. How does Sidney Martin aggravate Third Squad in Chapter 25?
6. Why do living circumstances become awkward for Third Squad in Delhi?
7. In what state is Pederson on the day he dies?
8. What finally prods Third Squad to consider killing Sidney Martin?
9. How do two men from Third Squad die in Chapter 9?
10. Why does Paul Berlin feel guilty for Frenchie Tucker and Bernie Lynn's deaths?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)