|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the earths start shaking in Chapter 41?
(a) Lieutenant Corson has called in an airstrike a few miles away.
(b) Another squad is blowing tunnels.
(c) A typhoon is blowing in.
(d) An aftershock from a quake.
2. What action does each man in Third Squad perform to signify his agreement in killing Sidney Martin?
(a) Hand a bullet to Oscar Johnson.
(b) Touch Oscar Johnson's grenade.
(d) Raise his hand.
3. What time is it at the end of Chapter 42?
(a) 4:00 a.m.
(b) 6:00 a.m.
(c) 3:00 a.m.
(d) 5:00 a.m.
4. What does Third Squad give to Stink Harris as a joke in Chapter 39?
(a) The Communist Manifesto.
(b) A Vietnamese phrasebook.
(c) Profiles in Courage.
(d) Conscience of a Conservative.
5. What did Billy Boy and the others do to pass the time on the afternoon he died?
(a) Play soccer.
(b) Shoot craps.
(c) Shoot Coke cans.
(d) Sing folk songs.
6. Where does the girl say she has contacts that can help the soldiers escape military duty?
7. Into what country does Third Squad arrive at the end of Chapter 36?
8. What happens to Paul Berlin when he is removed from isolation at the beginning of Chapter 33?
(a) He is given a bath.
(b) He is beaten for information.
(c) His neck is shaved.
(d) He is taken to visit Sarkin Aung Wan.
9. Where does Paul Berlin first spot Cacciato in Chapter 44?
(a) An outdoor market.
(b) A cathedral.
(c) A movie house.
(d) A hotel lobby.
10. Why does Cacciato like Sidney Martin?
(a) Martin likes black jack gum also.
(b) Martin let him carry the radio one day.
(c) Martin is from the same state as Cacciato.
(d) Martin gave Cacciato some of his rations.
11. What type of tree is Paul Berlin surprised to notice in Chapter 41?
(a) A eucalyptus.
(b) An oak.
(c) A willow.
(d) A fern.
12. In Chapter 39, Paul Berlin acknowledges that he went to war because he believes in what?
(c) The Mission.
13. Who makes of up the phrase "The World's Greatest Lake Country?"
(a) Stink Harris.
(b) Doc Peret.
(c) Eddie Lazzutti.
(d) Oscar Johnson.
14. In what country is the liner docked when it is searched by police in this chapter?
15. What principality is Third Squad in at the beginning of Chapter 43?
(a) Vatican City.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which European river do the men cross at the end of Chapter 40?
2. Which two people stay in the apartment in Chapter 44, refusing to search for Cacciato?
3. According to the major at Paul Berlin's promotion review, why are they fighting in Vietnam?
4. How does Cacciato characterize the death of Sidney Martin in Chapter 36?
5. What is the boy from Chapter 31's favorite type of gum?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)