|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What season is it at the end of Chapter 40?
2. What happens to Paul Berlin when he is removed from isolation at the beginning of Chapter 33?
(a) He is given a bath.
(b) His neck is shaved.
(c) He is taken to visit Sarkin Aung Wan.
(d) He is beaten for information.
3. What holiday does Third Squad celebrate in Tehran?
(d) St. Valentine's Day.
4. In Chapter 45, what does Paul Berlin recall is the last word he ever said to Cacciato?
5. What is Paul Berlin surprised to still see in French countryside?
(a) German trenches.
(c) Viet Cong.
(d) World War II damage.
6. What form of public execution does the Squad attend in Chapter 29?
(a) A hanging.
(b) A stoning.
(c) A beheading.
(d) A firing squad.
7. Which European river do the men cross at the end of Chapter 40?
(a) The Rhine.
(b) The Danube.
(c) The Rhine.
(d) The Seine.
8. To what movie player of villains does Stink Harris compare the executed man?
(a) Boris Karloff.
(b) Richard Widmark.
(c) Sidney Greenstreet.
(d) Peter Lorre.
9. At the beginning of Chapter 31, as Third Squad stops during the march, what does Paul Berlin do?
(a) Write a letter.
(b) Pee in a paddy.
(d) Fall asleep.
10. Early in his arrival, Paul Berlin is warned by another soldier not to do what in regarding a paddy?
(a) Wade in it.
(b) Pee in it.
(c) Drink from it.
(d) Bathe in it.
11. What does the girl in the van think must be the worst part of going to war?
(a) The filth.
(b) The guilt.
(c) The anxiety.
(d) The sleeplessness.
12. What are the men entering at the very end of Chapter 41?
(a) A scorched trail.
(b) A paddy.
(c) The thick brush.
(d) A burning village.
13. Who makes of up the phrase "The World's Greatest Lake Country?"
(a) Stink Harris.
(b) Oscar Johnson.
(c) Doc Peret.
(d) Eddie Lazzutti.
14. At the end of Chapter 40, Paul Berlin reasons that the root goal or the Vietnam War is to spread what?
15. According to Oscar Johnson, what is the only lesson to be learned from Buff's death?
(a) Don't get shot.
(b) Be lucky.
(c) Don't be stupid.
(d) Don't ask for trouble.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Doc Peret in Chapter 29, what is the root of Lieutenant Corson's illness?
2. What does Paul Berlin begin doing involuntarily as he lays awake in Chapter 31?
3. Why are Third Squad arrested in Chapter 29?
4. What action does each man in Third Squad perform to signify his agreement in killing Sidney Martin?
5. In Chapter, Doc Peret tells Captain Rhallon that the nonexistent treaty legitimizing Third Squad's international travel was ratified in what city?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)