|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Doc declare the Nazis and Japanese lost World War II?
(a) Thye lacked the materials to win.
(b) They did not want to win.
(c) They did not have right on their side.
(d) They fought poorly.
2. What are the men entering at the very end of Chapter 41?
(a) A paddy.
(b) The thick brush.
(c) A burning village.
(d) A scorched trail.
3. What does Captain Rhallon repeatedly say he would rather be doing than legal work?
(a) Making hummus.
(b) Killing Kurds.
(c) Hocking newspapers.
(d) Delivering mail.
4. What part of Buff's body does Doc Peret refuse to collect?
(a) His foot.
(b) His head.
(c) His ear.
(d) His hand.
5. What is the boy from Chapter 31's favorite type of gum?
(a) Juicy Fruit.
(b) Double mint.
(c) Big League Chew.
(d) Black Jack.
6. What action does each man in Third Squad perform to signify his agreement in killing Sidney Martin?
(a) Hand a bullet to Oscar Johnson.
(b) Raise his hand.
(d) Touch Oscar Johnson's grenade.
7. Where does Third Squad determine it has to bring Cacciato to avoid being labeled deserters?
(a) Combat headquarters in Saigon.
(b) The Pentagon.
(c) The US embassy in Paris.
(d) A US military base in Germany.
8. What does Paul Berlin begin doing involuntarily as he lays awake in Chapter 31?
9. Who does Lieutenant Corson tell Paul Berlin to look out for when the latter says he will be staying in Paris?
(a) Doc Peret.
(c) Sarkin Aung Wan.
(d) Oscar Johnson.
10. According to Paul Berlin in Chapter 37, where are most booby traps located?
(a) In villages.
(b) In the jungle.
(c) Along trails.
(d) In farmland.
11. Why does Cacciato like Sidney Martin?
(a) Martin gave Cacciato some of his rations.
(b) Martin likes black jack gum also.
(c) Martin is from the same state as Cacciato.
(d) Martin let him carry the radio one day.
12. In this chapter, of what does Oscar Johnson say Stink Johnson was full?
(b) Ill will.
(d) Piss and vinegar.
13. To what does Eddie Lazzutti compare Buff's body throughout Chapter 41?
(a) A pile of spaghetti.
(b) A slain bison.
(c) A praying Arab.
(d) A crab.
14. In Chapter 43, what does Sarkin Aung Wan say Paul Berlin has to do to prove his love?
(a) Renounce his US citizenship.
(b) Kill Oscar Johnson.
(c) Marry her.
(d) Get an apartment in Paris.
15. What type of tree is Paul Berlin surprised to notice in Chapter 41?
(a) An oak.
(b) A fern.
(c) A eucalyptus.
(d) A willow.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what word does Paul Berlin describe Billy Boy Watkins' death in Chapter 32?
2. What is Cacciato doing while the other men vote to murder Sidney Martin?
3. Which European river do the men cross at the end of Chapter 40?
4. What did Paul Berlin consider majoring in when he thought of attending the University of Iowa?
5. What does Third Squad give to Stink Harris as a joke in Chapter 39?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)