|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who nurses Lieutenant Corson back to health in Chapter 38?
(a) Sarkin Aung Wan.
(b) Jolly Chand.
(c) Oscar Johnson.
(d) Doc Peret.
2. What did Billy Boy and the others do to pass the time on the afternoon he died?
(a) Play soccer.
(b) Shoot Coke cans.
(c) Shoot craps.
(d) Sing folk songs.
3. How does Cacciato finally answer Paul Berlin's plea to agree to the murder?
(a) He tells Sidney Martin about the conspiracy.
(b) He walks away into the jungle.
(c) He tells Oscar Johnson he is in.
(d) He lets Paul Berlin touch his hand to the grenade.
4. What are the men entering at the very end of Chapter 41?
(a) A paddy.
(b) A burning village.
(c) A scorched trail.
(d) The thick brush.
5. The street the Squad takes to escape Tehran is named after what American President?
6. Where does Third Squad determine it has to bring Cacciato to avoid being labeled deserters?
(a) The US embassy in Paris.
(b) Combat headquarters in Saigon.
(c) The Pentagon.
(d) A US military base in Germany.
7. To what movie player of villains does Stink Harris compare the executed man?
(a) Richard Widmark.
(b) Sidney Greenstreet.
(c) Boris Karloff.
(d) Peter Lorre.
8. At the end of Chapter 44, what does Sarkin Aung Wan state at the beginning of her speech she is pleading for?
(d) Cessation of war.
9. At the beginning of Chapter 31, as Third Squad stops during the march, what does Paul Berlin do?
(a) Pee in a paddy.
(b) Fall asleep.
(c) Write a letter.
10. In this chapter, to what does the girl in the van compare to the War?
(a) Her last relationship.
(b) Her two year of college.
(c) Fights with her father.
(d) The Catholic Church.
11. In Chapter 39, Paul Berlin acknowledges that he went to war because he believes in what?
(c) The Mission.
12. After New Years Day in Chapter 29, what year is it?
13. According to Oscar Johnson, what is the only lesson to be learned from Buff's death?
(a) Don't be stupid.
(b) Be lucky.
(c) Don't get shot.
(d) Don't ask for trouble.
14. What does the boy in Chapter 31 do involuntarily from time to time?
(a) Do situps.
(b) Fiddle with his rifle.
15. Which European river do the men cross at the end of Chapter 40?
(a) The Rhine.
(b) The Seine.
(c) The Rhine.
(d) The Danube.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Paul Berlin in Chapter 37, where are most booby traps located?
2. According to Doc Peret, what are the two reasons why soldiers choose not to desert?
3. Who is the gun-chewing boy in Chapter 31?
4. Which of the following is not among the list of charges lodged against Third Squad?
5. What is Paul Berlin surprised to still see in French countryside?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)