|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Paul Berlin when he is removed from isolation at the beginning of Chapter 33?
(a) He is given a bath.
(b) He is beaten for information.
(c) His neck is shaved.
(d) He is taken to visit Sarkin Aung Wan.
2. Which of the following is not among the lessons Paul Berlin enumerates in Chapter 42?
(a) Keep your head down.
(b) It hurts get shot.
(c) You hear the shot that gets you.
(d) Dead men are heavy.
3. Who nurses Lieutenant Corson back to health in Chapter 38?
(a) Doc Peret.
(b) Oscar Johnson.
(c) Jolly Chand.
(d) Sarkin Aung Wan.
4. After New Years Day in Chapter 29, what year is it?
5. What does the boy in Chapter 31 do involuntarily from time to time?
(c) Do situps.
(d) Fiddle with his rifle.
6. What does Captain Rhallon repeatedly say he would rather be doing than legal work?
(a) Hocking newspapers.
(b) Making hummus.
(c) Killing Kurds.
(d) Delivering mail.
7. From what state is the American girl in the VW van that picks up Third Squad outside of Zagreb?
8. In Chapter 36, what does Cacciato slip through the prison window to Paul Berlin?
(b) A Bible.
(c) A cyanide capsule.
(d) A rifle.
9. What is Paul Berlin surprised to still see in French countryside?
(a) World War II damage.
(b) Viet Cong.
(d) German trenches.
10. Which of the following is not among the list of charges lodged against Third Squad?
(a) Public intoxication.
(b) Failure to register weapons.
(d) Inciting revolution.
11. After setting off a booby trap, what action does Billy Boy Watkins keep attempting to do?
(a) Pull on his boot.
(b) Hack away foliage.
(c) Reload his rifle.
(d) Open a can of peaches.
12. Why does Cacciato like Sidney Martin?
(a) Martin is from the same state as Cacciato.
(b) Martin likes black jack gum also.
(c) Martin let him carry the radio one day.
(d) Martin gave Cacciato some of his rations.
13. How long is Paul Berlin held in isolation after being arrested by the Iranian authorities?
(a) One day.
(b) One month.
(c) One week.
(d) One year.
14. Who does Lieutenant Corson tell Paul Berlin to look out for when the latter says he will be staying in Paris?
(a) Oscar Johnson.
(b) Sarkin Aung Wan.
(c) Doc Peret.
15. What is Cacciato doing while the other men vote to murder Sidney Martin?
(a) Searching the VC tunnel.
(d) Relieving himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the major at Paul Berlin's promotion review, why are they fighting in Vietnam?
2. What does Paul Berlin begin doing involuntarily as he lays awake in Chapter 31?
3. In this chapter, to what does the girl in the van compare to the War?
4. As he marches with Third Squad in Chapter 31, what does Paul Berlin plan to do in the coming weeks?
5. According to Doc Peret, what are the two reasons why soldiers choose not to desert?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)