|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Third Squad determine it has to bring Cacciato to avoid being labeled deserters?
(a) Combat headquarters in Saigon.
(b) The Pentagon.
(c) The US embassy in Paris.
(d) A US military base in Germany.
2. In Chapter 43, what does Sarkin Aung Wan say Paul Berlin has to do to prove his love?
(a) Marry her.
(b) Kill Oscar Johnson.
(c) Get an apartment in Paris.
(d) Renounce his US citizenship.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 31, as Third Squad stops during the march, what does Paul Berlin do?
(a) Pee in a paddy.
(b) Write a letter.
(c) Fall asleep.
4. How does Cacciato characterize the death of Sidney Martin in Chapter 36?
(a) A sad thing.
(b) A blessing in disguise.
(c) Kill or be killed.
5. In this chapter, to what does the girl in the van compare to the War?
(a) Her last relationship.
(b) Fights with her father.
(c) The Catholic Church.
(d) Her two year of college.
6. What time is it at the end of Chapter 42?
(a) 5:00 a.m.
(b) 4:00 a.m.
(c) 6:00 a.m.
(d) 3:00 a.m.
7. What does the girl in the van think must be the worst part of going to war?
(a) The filth.
(b) The sleeplessness.
(c) The guilt.
(d) The anxiety.
8. Who does Lieutenant Corson tell Paul Berlin to look out for when the latter says he will be staying in Paris?
(b) Doc Peret.
(c) Oscar Johnson.
(d) Sarkin Aung Wan.
9. In this chapter, of what does Oscar Johnson say Stink Johnson was full?
(b) Ill will.
(c) Piss and vinegar.
10. Into what country does Third Squad arrive at the end of Chapter 36?
11. What does Sidney Martin do in Chapter 34 to put his men on notice?
(a) Write their names in a notebook.
(b) Force them to march nearly twice the normal distance.
(c) Punch Oscar Johnson.
(d) Take half their rations.
12. What does Paul Berlin begin doing involuntarily as he lays awake in Chapter 31?
13. What did Paul Berlin consider majoring in when he thought of attending the University of Iowa?
(b) Political Science.
14. What famous military leader dies in Chapter 43?
(a) Charles de Gaulle.
(b) Douglas MacArthur.
(c) Dwight Eisenhower.
(d) George S. Patton.
15. What is the boy from Chapter 31's favorite type of gum?
(a) Double mint.
(b) Big League Chew.
(c) Black Jack.
(d) Juicy Fruit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Billy Boy and the others do to pass the time on the afternoon he died?
2. Why does Doc declare the Nazis and Japanese lost World War II?
3. From what state is the American girl in the VW van that picks up Third Squad outside of Zagreb?
4. What does Third Squad give to Stink Harris as a joke in Chapter 39?
5. In Chapter 44, who discovers that Third Squad is a military outfit?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)