|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 45, what does Paul Berlin recall is the last word he ever said to Cacciato?
2. At the end of Chapter 44, what does Sarkin Aung Wan state at the beginning of her speech she is pleading for?
(d) Cessation of war.
3. What action does each man in Third Squad perform to signify his agreement in killing Sidney Martin?
(b) Raise his hand.
(c) Touch Oscar Johnson's grenade.
(d) Hand a bullet to Oscar Johnson.
4. What happens to Paul Berlin when he is removed from isolation at the beginning of Chapter 33?
(a) He is taken to visit Sarkin Aung Wan.
(b) He is given a bath.
(c) His neck is shaved.
(d) He is beaten for information.
5. With what word does Paul Berlin describe Billy Boy Watkins' death in Chapter 32?
6. What form of public execution does the Squad attend in Chapter 29?
(a) A hanging.
(b) A firing squad.
(c) A stoning.
(d) A beheading.
7. What part of Buff's body does Doc Peret refuse to collect?
(a) His ear.
(b) His head.
(c) His hand.
(d) His foot.
8. What did Billy Boy and the others do to pass the time on the afternoon he died?
(a) Shoot Coke cans.
(b) Shoot craps.
(c) Play soccer.
(d) Sing folk songs.
9. Early in his arrival, Paul Berlin is warned by another soldier not to do what in regarding a paddy?
(a) Drink from it.
(b) Wade in it.
(c) Pee in it.
(d) Bathe in it.
10. Cacciato tells Paul Berlin that the way to Paris is simple after one passes what city?
11. What does Captain Rhallon repeatedly say he would rather be doing than legal work?
(a) Making hummus.
(b) Hocking newspapers.
(c) Killing Kurds.
(d) Delivering mail.
12. Where does Third Squad determine it has to bring Cacciato to avoid being labeled deserters?
(a) A US military base in Germany.
(b) The US embassy in Paris.
(c) Combat headquarters in Saigon.
(d) The Pentagon.
13. According to Doc Peret, what are the two reasons why soldiers choose not to desert?
(a) Duty and belief in mission.
(b) Fear and self-respect.
(c) Despair and inebriation.
(d) Stupidity and weakness.
14. Why does the earths start shaking in Chapter 41?
(a) An aftershock from a quake.
(b) A typhoon is blowing in.
(c) Lieutenant Corson has called in an airstrike a few miles away.
(d) Another squad is blowing tunnels.
15. Why does Doc declare the Nazis and Japanese lost World War II?
(a) Thye lacked the materials to win.
(b) They fought poorly.
(c) They did not want to win.
(d) They did not have right on their side.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the gun-chewing boy in Chapter 31?
2. According to Oscar Johnson, what is the only lesson to be learned from Buff's death?
3. Which two people stay in the apartment in Chapter 44, refusing to search for Cacciato?
4. As he marches with Third Squad in Chapter 31, what does Paul Berlin plan to do in the coming weeks?
5. What does Paul Berlin joke is also paying rent in the apartment he and Sarkin Aung Wan take?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)