|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As he marches with Third Squad in Chapter 31, what does Paul Berlin plan to do in the coming weeks?
(a) Learn to get by on two hours of sleep.
(b) Write a letter to his father.
(c) Learn to act like them.
2. Who finally makes the move to steal the van for the girl driving?
(a) Paul Berlin.
(b) Eddie Lazzutti.
(c) Leiutenant Corson.
(d) Oscar Johnson.
3. What does Paul Berlin begin doing involuntarily as he lays awake in Chapter 31?
4. What cause of death does Doc Peret give for Billy Boy Watkins?
(a) Blood loss.
(b) Heart attack.
5. How does Cacciato characterize the death of Sidney Martin in Chapter 36?
(a) A sad thing.
(c) Kill or be killed.
(d) A blessing in disguise.
6. Early in his arrival, Paul Berlin is warned by another soldier not to do what in regarding a paddy?
(a) Wade in it.
(b) Pee in it.
(c) Bathe in it.
(d) Drink from it.
7. How does Cacciato finally answer Paul Berlin's plea to agree to the murder?
(a) He tells Oscar Johnson he is in.
(b) He walks away into the jungle.
(c) He tells Sidney Martin about the conspiracy.
(d) He lets Paul Berlin touch his hand to the grenade.
8. Which European river do the men cross at the end of Chapter 40?
(a) The Seine.
(b) The Rhine.
(c) The Danube.
(d) The Rhine.
9. How long is Paul Berlin held in isolation after being arrested by the Iranian authorities?
(a) One week.
(b) One day.
(c) One month.
(d) One year.
10. What does Sidney Martin do in Chapter 34 to put his men on notice?
(a) Write their names in a notebook.
(b) Force them to march nearly twice the normal distance.
(c) Punch Oscar Johnson.
(d) Take half their rations.
11. Which member of Third Squad jumps off the ship and disappears at the end of Chapter 38?
(a) Eddie Lazzutti.
(b) Oscar Johnson.
(c) Doc Peret.
(d) Stink Harris.
12. Before leaving for Vietnam, Berlin's father tells him to keep an eye out for what?
(a) The enemy.
(c) A reason to stay alive.
(d) Good stuff.
13. Who nurses Lieutenant Corson back to health in Chapter 38?
(a) Doc Peret.
(b) Sarkin Aung Wan.
(c) Jolly Chand.
(d) Oscar Johnson.
14. Which of the following is not among the lessons Paul Berlin enumerates in Chapter 42?
(a) Dead men are heavy.
(b) It hurts get shot.
(c) Keep your head down.
(d) You hear the shot that gets you.
15. What is Paul Berlin surprised to still see in French countryside?
(a) German trenches.
(c) Viet Cong.
(d) World War II damage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What clothing accessory does Paul Berlin recall vividly about a young,crying Vietnamese girl in Chapter 39?
2. What does the girl in the van think must be the worst part of going to war?
3. What did Billy Boy and the others do to pass the time on the afternoon he died?
4. To what movie player of villains does Stink Harris compare the executed man?
5. According to Paul Berlin in Chapter 37, where are most booby traps located?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)