|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the men entering at the very end of Chapter 41?
(a) The thick brush.
(b) A paddy.
(c) A burning village.
(d) A scorched trail.
2. What season is it at the end of Chapter 40?
3. To whom does Oscar Johnson offer the big gun before giving it to Harold Murphy?
(a) Stink Harris.
(b) Paul Berlin.
(c) Eddie Lazzutti.
4. Who nurses Lieutenant Corson back to health in Chapter 38?
(a) Doc Peret.
(b) Jolly Chand.
(c) Oscar Johnson.
(d) Sarkin Aung Wan.
5. With what word does Paul Berlin describe Billy Boy Watkins' death in Chapter 32?
6. In this chapter, to what does the girl in the van compare to the War?
(a) Her last relationship.
(b) Fights with her father.
(c) Her two year of college.
(d) The Catholic Church.
7. After setting off a booby trap, what action does Billy Boy Watkins keep attempting to do?
(a) Hack away foliage.
(b) Pull on his boot.
(c) Open a can of peaches.
(d) Reload his rifle.
8. Who does Lieutenant Corson tell Paul Berlin to look out for when the latter says he will be staying in Paris?
(b) Doc Peret.
(c) Sarkin Aung Wan.
(d) Oscar Johnson.
9. What action does each man in Third Squad perform to signify his agreement in killing Sidney Martin?
(a) Hand a bullet to Oscar Johnson.
(b) Touch Oscar Johnson's grenade.
(d) Raise his hand.
10. What does the boy in Chapter 31 do involuntarily from time to time?
(b) Do situps.
(c) Fiddle with his rifle.
11. What clothing accessory does Paul Berlin recall vividly about a young,crying Vietnamese girl in Chapter 39?
(a) Cracked glasses.
(b) A Mickey Mouse watch.
(c) Hoop earrings.
(d) A headband.
12. What time is it in Chapter 32?
(a) 4:30 a.m.
(b) 5:00 a.m.
(c) 3:00 a.m.
(d) 2:30 a.m.
13. Where does the girl say she has contacts that can help the soldiers escape military duty?
14. According to Oscar Johnson, what is the only lesson to be learned from Buff's death?
(a) Don't get shot.
(b) Be lucky.
(c) Don't ask for trouble.
(d) Don't be stupid.
15. Which of the following is not among the lessons Paul Berlin enumerates in Chapter 42?
(a) You hear the shot that gets you.
(b) It hurts get shot.
(c) Keep your head down.
(d) Dead men are heavy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who discovers Buff's body in Chapter 41?
2. From what state is the American girl in the VW van that picks up Third Squad outside of Zagreb?
3. In Chapter 45, what does Paul Berlin recall is the last word he ever said to Cacciato?
4. What famous military leader dies in Chapter 43?
5. What does Paul Berlin joke is also paying rent in the apartment he and Sarkin Aung Wan take?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)