|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are Third Squad arrested in Chapter 29?
(a) Eddie Lazzutti asks a cop directions.
(b) Oscar Johnson gets in a bar fight.
(c) Stink Harris insults a mullah.
(d) Doc Peret discusses the Shah publicly.
2. Who discovers Buff's body in Chapter 41?
(a) Oscar Johnson.
(b) Harold Murphy.
(c) Paul Berlin.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 31, as Third Squad stops during the march, what does Paul Berlin do?
(a) Pee in a paddy.
(c) Fall asleep.
(d) Write a letter.
4. Before leaving for Vietnam, Berlin's father tells him to keep an eye out for what?
(a) A reason to stay alive.
(c) The enemy.
(d) Good stuff.
5. In Chapter 44, who discovers that Third Squad is a military outfit?
(a) A retired miltary officer.
(b) A French policeman.
(c) A priest.
(d) A desk clerk.
6. What does Third Squad give to Stink Harris as a joke in Chapter 39?
(a) Profiles in Courage.
(b) A Vietnamese phrasebook.
(c) The Communist Manifesto.
(d) Conscience of a Conservative.
7. Who is the gun-chewing boy in Chapter 31?
(b) Harold Murphy.
(c) Stink Harris.
(d) Eddie Lazzuti.
8. What holiday does Third Squad celebrate in Tehran?
(c) St. Valentine's Day.
9. In Chapter 45, what does Paul Berlin recall is the last word he ever said to Cacciato?
10. Which European river do the men cross at the end of Chapter 40?
(a) The Seine.
(b) The Rhine.
(c) The Danube.
(d) The Rhine.
11. In Chapter 39, Paul Berlin acknowledges that he went to war because he believes in what?
(c) The Mission.
12. According to Oscar Johnson, what is the only lesson to be learned from Buff's death?
(a) Be lucky.
(b) Don't get shot.
(c) Don't ask for trouble.
(d) Don't be stupid.
13. To what movie player of villains does Stink Harris compare the executed man?
(a) Peter Lorre.
(b) Richard Widmark.
(c) Sidney Greenstreet.
(d) Boris Karloff.
14. Which member of Third Squad jumps off the ship and disappears at the end of Chapter 38?
(a) Doc Peret.
(b) Stink Harris.
(c) Oscar Johnson.
(d) Eddie Lazzutti.
15. To what does Eddie Lazzutti compare Buff's body throughout Chapter 41?
(a) A crab.
(b) A slain bison.
(c) A pile of spaghetti.
(d) A praying Arab.
Short Answer Questions
1. In this chapter, to what does the girl in the van compare to the War?
2. Cacciato tells Paul Berlin that the way to Paris is simple after one passes what city?
3. Which of the following is not among the lessons Paul Berlin enumerates in Chapter 42?
4. Which of the following is not among the list of charges lodged against Third Squad?
5. What is Paul Berlin surprised to still see in French countryside?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)