|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 31, as Third Squad stops during the march, what does Paul Berlin do?
(a) Write a letter.
(b) Fall asleep.
(d) Pee in a paddy.
2. Why are Third Squad arrested in Chapter 29?
(a) Doc Peret discusses the Shah publicly.
(b) Stink Harris insults a mullah.
(c) Eddie Lazzutti asks a cop directions.
(d) Oscar Johnson gets in a bar fight.
3. What happens to Paul Berlin when he is removed from isolation at the beginning of Chapter 33?
(a) He is given a bath.
(b) He is beaten for information.
(c) He is taken to visit Sarkin Aung Wan.
(d) His neck is shaved.
4. At the end of Chapter 29, Sarkin Aung Wan repeatedly berates Paul Berlin for what reason?
(a) He will not make love to her.
(b) He has deserted the war.
(c) He is drunk.
(d) He will not leave the Squad.
5. What holiday does Third Squad celebrate in Tehran?
(c) St. Valentine's Day.
6. Where does Paul Berlin first spot Cacciato in Chapter 44?
(a) A cathedral.
(b) A movie house.
(c) An outdoor market.
(d) A hotel lobby.
7. In Chapter 43, what does Sarkin Aung Wan say Paul Berlin has to do to prove his love?
(a) Get an apartment in Paris.
(b) Marry her.
(c) Renounce his US citizenship.
(d) Kill Oscar Johnson.
8. What type of tree is Paul Berlin surprised to notice in Chapter 41?
(a) A willow.
(b) A eucalyptus.
(c) An oak.
(d) A fern.
9. What time is it in Chapter 32?
(a) 4:30 a.m.
(b) 2:30 a.m.
(c) 3:00 a.m.
(d) 5:00 a.m.
10. What action does each man in Third Squad perform to signify his agreement in killing Sidney Martin?
(a) Touch Oscar Johnson's grenade.
(c) Raise his hand.
(d) Hand a bullet to Oscar Johnson.
11. Early in his arrival, Paul Berlin is warned by another soldier not to do what in regarding a paddy?
(a) Pee in it.
(b) Drink from it.
(c) Bathe in it.
(d) Wade in it.
12. What form of public execution does the Squad attend in Chapter 29?
(a) A beheading.
(b) A stoning.
(c) A hanging.
(d) A firing squad.
13. According to Oscar Johnson, what is the only lesson to be learned from Buff's death?
(a) Be lucky.
(b) Don't get shot.
(c) Don't ask for trouble.
(d) Don't be stupid.
14. In Chapter 39, Paul Berlin acknowledges that he went to war because he believes in what?
(b) The Mission.
15. What does the boy in Chapter 31 do involuntarily from time to time?
(a) Fiddle with his rifle.
(c) Do situps.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Buff's body does Doc Peret refuse to collect?
2. Which of the following is not among the list of charges lodged against Third Squad?
3. What does Third Squad give to Stink Harris as a joke in Chapter 39?
4. Cacciato tells Paul Berlin that the way to Paris is simple after one passes what city?
5. What does the girl in the van think must be the worst part of going to war?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)