|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what ailment is Lieutenant Corson suffering at the beginning of the novel?
(d) A tapeworm.
2. What bit of information does Oscar Johnson not give to Cacciato during their parlay?
(a) He cannot walk to Paris.
(b) The lieutenant will make a deal with him.
(c) He is facing a court martial.
(d) He will starve to death in the jungle.
3. After what mid-west American town is the hotel where Third Squad checks in in Mandalay named?
(b) St. Louis.
4. Which of the following names is not among the dead listed in the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) Stink Harris.
(b) Lt. Sidney Martin.
(c) Frenchie Tucker.
(d) Ready Mix.
5. What kind of animal do the Third Squad see Cacciato swinging around in this chapter?
(a) An iguana.
(b) A cat.
(c) A chicken.
(d) A snake.
6. In what American city did Jolly Chand live for a period?
(a) San Francisco.
(b) New York.
7. In Chapter 5, what month does Paul Berlin determine it is?
8. Which of the following men votes to in Chapter 3 to turn back?
(a) Lieutenant Corson.
(b) Harold Murphy.
(c) Oscar Johnson.
(d) Paul Berlin.
9. What body part does Vaught lose after leaving the front?
(a) His ear.
(b) His leg.
(c) His testicle.
(d) His arm.
10. In Chapter 27, what assumption about himself does Paul Berlin acknowledge is true?
(a) He will never really leave the Midwest.
(b) He is a writer at heart.
(c) He will not fight well.
(d) He does not believe in the War.
11. What item does Cacciato strew on the road to guide Third Squad?
(d) Dog tags.
12. What finally breaks the unnerving calm at the end of Chapter 16?
(a) Rudy Chassler trips a mine.
(b) The VC finally attacks the village.
(c) A new soldier shoots himself in the foot.
(d) Cacciato and Stink Harris get in a fistfight.
13. In Chapter 19, what does Paul Berlin realize is the true value of the Cacciato pursuit?
(a) It will let him see the world.
(b) It will be a great war story.
(c) It has taken him away from death.
(d) It has brought the squad together.
14. What words does Paul Berlin state to himself without emotion as he watches Chapter 11's air-strike?
(a) Fuck you.
(b) I'm sorry.
(c) Kill it.
(d) Bye bye.
15. Which of the following items is not among those that Li Van Hgoc serves to Third Squad in Chapter 13?
(a) Fresh fruit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lieutenant Martin's primary concern in Vietnam?
2. What action do the two older women continually do as they ride with Third Squad?
3. In Chapter 8, who is supposed to relieve Paul Berlin of his post?
4. Where is Paul Berlin's place in the march order?
5. In Chapter 11, Sidney Martin calls in a massive air-strike following the death of which of his men?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)