|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What finally breaks the unnerving calm at the end of Chapter 16?
(a) The VC finally attacks the village.
(b) Cacciato and Stink Harris get in a fistfight.
(c) Rudy Chassler trips a mine.
(d) A new soldier shoots himself in the foot.
2. How does Doc Peret describe the quiet of the village in Chapter 16?
(a) A deafening roar.
(b) A spa.
(c) An oasis.
(d) A vacuum.
3. What is Lieutenant Martin's primary concern in Vietnam?
(a) The mission.
(b) His own safety.
(c) The men.
(d) His reputation.
4. In what American city did Jolly Chand live for a period?
(c) New York.
(d) San Francisco.
5. In Chapter 16, what do the men start doing to pass time during a period of relative quiet?
(a) Shooting craps.
(b) Shooting makeshift skeet.
(d) Playing basketball.
6. What item do the men find in their search of the train in Chapter 21?
(a) Cacciato's dog tags.
(b) Cacciato's uniform.
(c) Cacciato's photo album.
(d) Cacciato's AWOL bag.
7. Which of the following men votes to in Chapter 3 to turn back?
(a) Paul Berlin.
(b) Harold Murphy.
(c) Oscar Johnson.
(d) Lieutenant Corson.
8. In Chapter 11, Sidney Martin calls in a massive air-strike following the death of which of his men?
(a) Billy Boy Watkins.
(c) Bernie Lynn.
(d) Ready Mix.
9. Which member of Third Squad was killed when Sidney Martin called for an advance on the enemy in the mountains?
(a) Ready Mix.
(b) Bernie Lynn.
10. What are the "lakes" of the The World's Greatest Lake Country?
(a) Mass graves.
(d) Puddles of blood.
11. Where does Paul Berlin decide he will take a flat when he moves to Paris after the war?
(d) St. Germaine.
12. In Chapter 9, why does Sidney Martin send Bernie Lynn into the tunnel?
(a) To search for VC.
(b) To blow it.
(c) To retrieve a soldier's body.
(d) To find maps.
13. What does Third Squad discover in the mountains as they clear bodies in Chapter 27?
14. In Chapter 5, what month does Paul Berlin determine it is?
15. In the latrine in Chapter 4, whose name does Paul Berlin see written on the wall?
(a) His own.
(c) Stink Harris.
(d) Oscar Johnson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bit of information does Oscar Johnson not give to Cacciato during their parlay?
2. At what town does Lieutenant Corson decide to cut off Cacciato in Chapter 10?
3. The sight of which soldier fills Sidney Martin with pride in Chapter 25?
4. Which of the following is not an activity that Sarkin Aung Wan and Paul Berlin do to pass the time in Delhi?
5. What action is Sarkin Aung Wan doing in Chapter 17 when Paul Berlin explains to her that they must catch Cacciato before going to Paris?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)