|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is referred to as the god of air, rain, and ocean in Nala?
2. What was Kovalan's name in his previous life in The Mispaired Anklet?
3. What does the name Ravana translate to in English?
4. Shiva's assistant curses Ravana and tells him that _______ will bring about his demise.
5. What weapon does Ravana give his son with which to attack a giant monkey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Indra, Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva and Mahishasura in Devi. Do these gods hold a definitive role in the stories, or do they transform in each?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plot structure and settings of Yayati. What are the story's central themes? How do the characters react to temptation in this narrative? How does it relate to the other stories in the anthology?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the Ramayana and Mahabharata. How many stories in Gods, Demons, and Others are derived from these texts? When were they written?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)