|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Shakuntala's mother?
2. Savriti tells her father that she found the man she wishes to marry __________.
3. Where does Damayanti get dropped off by a caravan while seeking her husband Nala?
4. Who gave Ravana his name?
5. To what goddess does Asvapati pray for a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who named Ravana? Describe his family.
2. Why do Ravana and his brothers go into seclusion? What does Ravana gain?
3. Who does Savitri discover by her husband in the forest in Savitri? What does she say to him?
4. Describe King Nala. Who visits him in the beginning of the story Nala?
5. Describe the figure of Valmiki. What great work did he compose?
6. How does Ravana die?
7. What do Ravana and his brothers do when they come out from seclusion?
8. What causes the downfall of Kovalan in The Mispaired Anklet?
9. What gods assist Nala's brother in tricking Nala? How and why?
10. What does Savitri do when her husband's death is coming near in Savitri?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Sankha in Valmiki. What are Sankha's incarnations? What is his principle role in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Sandhya, Manmata, Rati, Iswara, and the setting of Manmata. Why did Brahma decide to create Sandhya and Manmata?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the obstacles that Kacha faces upon arriving as Sukracharya's pupil. Does he succumb to these temptations?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)