|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What messenger does Nala send to a beautiful princess in Nala?
2. Who throws herself into a fire to cleanse herself of Ravana's touch?
3. Who is Rama's wife in Ravana?
4. Who advises Ravana to undo the thing that is causing all the strife and give Rama's wife back?
5. Where does Damayanti get dropped off by a caravan while seeking her husband Nala?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who arrives to save Sita in Ravana? What does he do to free her?
2. What does a serpent give Nala in repayment for saving him?
3. What moral lesson is relayed in the story of Draupadi?
4. Who named Ravana? Describe his family.
5. Who does Damayanti encounter in Chedi? What does she do at that point?
6. Where does Nala leave Damayanti behind in Nala? Why?
7. Where does King Nala find himself after Damayanti's Swayamwara is announced?
8. Describe King Nala. Who visits him in the beginning of the story Nala?
9. What gods assist Nala's brother in tricking Nala? How and why?
10. What does Vibhishana suggest Ravana do rather than fight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the desire for immortality by the asuras in Devi. What is the driving force of "evil," according to R. K. Narayan's perspective? What defines "good"?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the elements of Hindu faith and belief in Chudala and Lavana. What morals are upheld in each of these stories? How do the stories relate to Christian parables?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss, analyze and compare Chudala and Sikhi-Dhvaja. How are the husband and wife different in this story? What similarities do they share?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)