|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ravana is first known by what name?
2. In what seacoast town does The Mispaired Anklet begin?
3. Who tells Savitri that she should not marry the man she desires because he can see the future?
4. To what town do Kovalan and his wife move once he has lost everything?
5. The spot where Kovalan arose and joined his wife is today a temple known as _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vibhishana suggest Ravana do rather than fight?
2. What do the king and queen of Madurai do upon learning of the wrongs done to Kovalan in The Mispaired Anklet? What does Kannagi do?
3. Describe King Nala. Who visits him in the beginning of the story Nala?
4. Who arrives to save Sita in Ravana? What does he do to free her?
5. How does Ravana die?
6. Why is Asvapati praying in the beginning of Savitri? To whom does he pray?
7. Where does King Nala find himself after Damayanti's Swayamwara is announced?
8. Who is Savitri's father with when she announces who she chooses for a husband? What is his reply?
9. Describe the figure of Valmiki. What great work did he compose?
10. What gods assist Nala's brother in tricking Nala? How and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Manmata's creation to that of Eros or Cupid in Greek and Roman mythology. In what ways is Manmata like Cupid? How does he differ?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the Indian practice of Swayamwara. How does this tradition differ from Western marriage arrangements? What power do women have within this system?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the life of the author, R. K. Narayan, his culture and literary career, and the influences which he drew from in adapting Gods, Demons, and Others.
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)