|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What in ancient India was a practice of choosing a life partner from among a list of suitors, by a girl of marriageable age?
2. What in Sanskrit refers to the foremost poet or fountainhead of poetry?
3. What weapon does Ravana give his son with which to attack a giant monkey?
4. What was Kovalan's name in his previous life in The Mispaired Anklet?
5. The name Shakuntala means "one who was brought up in the forest by" what creature?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the key plot points in Chudala, including exposition, rising action, climax, and denouement and discuss the setting and themes in the story. How is transformation illustrated as a theme?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the elements of Hindu faith and belief in Chudala and Lavana. What morals are upheld in each of these stories? How do the stories relate to Christian parables?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the Indian practice of Swayamwara. How does this tradition differ from Western marriage arrangements? What power do women have within this system?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)