|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is referred to as the god of air, rain, and ocean in Nala?
2. What in Sanskrit refers to the foremost poet or fountainhead of poetry?
3. Which of Rama's brothers does Viswamitra invite to accompany him to help protect sacrifices that are being meddled with by demons?
4. Who is Rama's wife in Ravana?
5. Who is Ravana's sister that enters his chamber claiming that Rama has attacked her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the figure of Valmiki. What great work did he compose?
2. Why do Ravana and his brothers go into seclusion? What does Ravana gain?
3. Who does Damayanti encounter in Chedi? What does she do at that point?
4. Who named Ravana? Describe his family.
5. Describe King Nala. Who visits him in the beginning of the story Nala?
6. Who comes to order Ravana to stop moving a mountain? What is his response?
7. Why is Asvapati praying in the beginning of Savitri? To whom does he pray?
8. Where does Nala leave Damayanti behind in Nala? Why?
9. What does Savitri do when her husband's death is coming near in Savitri?
10. What do the king and queen of Madurai do upon learning of the wrongs done to Kovalan in The Mispaired Anklet? What does Kannagi do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism, themes, metaphors, and simile in Viswamitra. How does "man's ego" relate to the story's moral and themes?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Manmata's creation to that of Eros or Cupid in Greek and Roman mythology. In what ways is Manmata like Cupid? How does he differ?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss King Lavana. Where is Lavana ruler? How is he thought of by his subjects? What magician visits him?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)