|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what two sons of Rama's does Valmiki pass along the Ramayana?
2. Rama is the incarnation of what god in Valmiki?
3. Savriti tells her father that she found the man she wishes to marry __________.
4. What is the true identity of Siti in Valmiki?
5. What mountain gets in Ravana's way when riding home after vanquishing his brother's lands?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes to order Ravana to stop moving a mountain? What is his response?
2. Who arrives to save Sita in Ravana? What does he do to free her?
3. Why does Ravana attack his brother? What does he steal from him?
4. What does Vibhishana suggest Ravana do rather than fight?
5. What do the king and queen of Madurai do upon learning of the wrongs done to Kovalan in The Mispaired Anklet? What does Kannagi do?
6. Where does Nala leave Damayanti behind in Nala? Why?
7. What gods assist Nala's brother in tricking Nala? How and why?
8. What is Sita's reaction to Ravana once she has been kidnapped?
9. What does a serpent give Nala in repayment for saving him?
10. What moral lesson is relayed in the story of Draupadi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of Viswamitra and the characters Chedi, Vasishta, and Sabala in the narrative. From what kingly race did Chedi descend? Where does King Chedi rule?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Manmata's creation to that of Eros or Cupid in Greek and Roman mythology. In what ways is Manmata like Cupid? How does he differ?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the key plot points in Chudala, including exposition, rising action, climax, and denouement and discuss the setting and themes in the story. How is transformation illustrated as a theme?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)