|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many heads did Ravana have at birth?
2. Valmiki composed how many stanzas of the Ramayana?
3. Who becomes king after Nala loses at a game of dice?
4. In his Sankha's first incarnation in the story Valmiki, the thief is a scholarly man who falls in love with what kind of person?
5. Who visits Valmiki and tells him the prophecy of a great man, born into the race of Ikshvahus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who named Ravana? Describe his family.
2. Who comes to order Ravana to stop moving a mountain? What is his response?
3. What does Savitri do when her husband's death is coming near in Savitri?
4. How does Ravana die?
5. Who arrives to save Sita in Ravana? What does he do to free her?
6. What does a serpent give Nala in repayment for saving him?
7. What gods assist Nala's brother in tricking Nala? How and why?
8. Who is Savitri's father with when she announces who she chooses for a husband? What is his reply?
9. Describe King Nala. Who visits him in the beginning of the story Nala?
10. Describe the figure of Valmiki. What great work did he compose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Ravana, Kumbhakarna, Soorpanakha, Vibhishana, Kubera, and the setting of Ravana. Why was Ravana renamed and by whom?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the desire for immortality by the asuras in Devi. What is the driving force of "evil," according to R. K. Narayan's perspective? What defines "good"?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Manmata's creation to that of Eros or Cupid in Greek and Roman mythology. In what ways is Manmata like Cupid? How does he differ?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)