|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What red-robed, red-eyed figure looming nearby with a noose in his hands does Savriti encounter in the woods?
2. Who visits Valmiki and tells him the prophecy of a great man, born into the race of Ikshvahus?
3. To what two sons of Rama's does Valmiki pass along the Ramayana?
4. How many heads did Ravana have at birth?
5. Who is Rama's wife in Ravana?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who arrives to save Sita in Ravana? What does he do to free her?
2. What do the king and queen of Madurai do upon learning of the wrongs done to Kovalan in The Mispaired Anklet? What does Kannagi do?
3. Describe the figure of Valmiki. What great work did he compose?
4. Who does Savitri discover by her husband in the forest in Savitri? What does she say to him?
5. Why is Asvapati praying in the beginning of Savitri? To whom does he pray?
6. Why do Ravana and his brothers go into seclusion? What does Ravana gain?
7. Who is Savitri's father with when she announces who she chooses for a husband? What is his reply?
8. What does Ravana hear of Rama throughout the city? What is his impression?
9. What do Ravana and his brothers do when they come out from seclusion?
10. What does Savitri do when her husband's death is coming near in Savitri?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the life of the author, R. K. Narayan, his culture and literary career, and the influences which he drew from in adapting Gods, Demons, and Others.
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the Indian practice of Swayamwara. How does this tradition differ from Western marriage arrangements? What power do women have within this system?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Indra, Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva and Mahishasura in Devi. Do these gods hold a definitive role in the stories, or do they transform in each?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)