|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits Valmiki and tells him the prophecy of a great man, born into the race of Ikshvahus?
2. With what sage does Rama decide to live with in the forest as an example to his people in Valmiki?
3. Who rises into the sky and breaks the tower of Ravana's palace?
4. Nala leaves Damayanti within sight of _________.
5. What messenger does Nala send to a beautiful princess in Nala?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Savitri do when her husband's death is coming near in Savitri?
2. Why do Ravana and his brothers go into seclusion? What does Ravana gain?
3. What moral lesson is relayed in the story of Draupadi?
4. Who arrives to save Sita in Ravana? What does he do to free her?
5. Describe King Nala. Who visits him in the beginning of the story Nala?
6. What do the king and queen of Madurai do upon learning of the wrongs done to Kovalan in The Mispaired Anklet? What does Kannagi do?
7. Who does Damayanti encounter in Chedi? What does she do at that point?
8. What does Vibhishana suggest Ravana do rather than fight?
9. Why is Asvapati praying in the beginning of Savitri? To whom does he pray?
10. What do Ravana and his brothers do when they come out from seclusion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Ravana, Kumbhakarna, Soorpanakha, Vibhishana, Kubera, and the setting of Ravana. Why was Ravana renamed and by whom?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the characters of Draupadi, Yudhistira, Arjuna, Bhima, Nakula, Shadeless, and Kunthi. Who are the parents of the Pandava brothers? Where do they live?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the key plot points in Chudala, including exposition, rising action, climax, and denouement and discuss the setting and themes in the story. How is transformation illustrated as a theme?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)