|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ravana's sister that enters his chamber claiming that Rama has attacked her?
2. What beautiful young princess does a poet tell Nala about when visiting?
3. Of what clan was the king who gave Ravana his third curse?
4. Who is referred to as the lord of Death in Nala?
5. Where does Rama strike a deadly blow in Ravana?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Savitri do when her husband's death is coming near in Savitri?
2. What gods assist Nala's brother in tricking Nala? How and why?
3. Why do Ravana and his brothers go into seclusion? What does Ravana gain?
4. What does Ravana hear of Rama throughout the city? What is his impression?
5. What do the king and queen of Madurai do upon learning of the wrongs done to Kovalan in The Mispaired Anklet? What does Kannagi do?
6. Who does Savitri discover by her husband in the forest in Savitri? What does she say to him?
7. Describe King Nala. Who visits him in the beginning of the story Nala?
8. Why is Asvapati praying in the beginning of Savitri? To whom does he pray?
9. Who does Damayanti encounter in Chedi? What does she do at that point?
10. Who comes to order Ravana to stop moving a mountain? What is his response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the life of the author, R. K. Narayan, his culture and literary career, and the influences which he drew from in adapting Gods, Demons, and Others.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Sandhya, Manmata, Rati, Iswara, and the setting of Manmata. Why did Brahma decide to create Sandhya and Manmata?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Ravana, Kumbhakarna, Soorpanakha, Vibhishana, Kubera, and the setting of Ravana. Why was Ravana renamed and by whom?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)