|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what kingdom is Nala befriended by the king?
2. The name Shakuntala means "one who was brought up in the forest by" what creature?
3. Who is left with nothing but his loincloth in the ending of Nala?
4. What step-brother of Ravana's is a man of great respectability because of his tapas?
5. What happens to Kovalan after the goldsmith reports him for theft in The Mispaired Anklet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the king and queen of Madurai do upon learning of the wrongs done to Kovalan in The Mispaired Anklet? What does Kannagi do?
2. Describe the figure of Valmiki. What great work did he compose?
3. What moral lesson is relayed in the story of Draupadi?
4. Who comes to order Ravana to stop moving a mountain? What is his response?
5. Where does King Nala find himself after Damayanti's Swayamwara is announced?
6. What does Vibhishana suggest Ravana do rather than fight?
7. Who does Savitri discover by her husband in the forest in Savitri? What does she say to him?
8. What do Ravana and his brothers do when they come out from seclusion?
9. What does Savitri do when her husband's death is coming near in Savitri?
10. Who arrives to save Sita in Ravana? What does he do to free her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism, themes, metaphors, and simile in Viswamitra. How does "man's ego" relate to the story's moral and themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Sankha in Valmiki. What are Sankha's incarnations? What is his principle role in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the characters of Draupadi, Yudhistira, Arjuna, Bhima, Nakula, Shadeless, and Kunthi. Who are the parents of the Pandava brothers? Where do they live?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)