|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the king awakens in Lavana, how long has he been asleep?
2. Whom do the gods decide to sent into the realm of the demon king Vrishaparva, to study as Sukracharya's pupil in Yayati?
3. In Viswamitra, Sabala does not want to leave her sage and asks that she be allowed to create men to ________.
4. In the magical kingdom in Lavana, the king's father-in-law is _______________.
5. ___________ fills the tree in which Lavana lands.
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does King Nala find himself after Damayanti's Swayamwara is announced?
2. Who named Ravana? Describe his family.
3. What is proven by King Sibi's actions in the end of Sibi? What moral lesson is learned?
4. What is the third test which Chudala places on her husband? What comes of it?
5. Discuss the themes and plots within the story Yayati. What unites the story?
6. Who does Sikhi-Dhvaia's father arrange for him to marry? What is their marriage like?
7. What does Ravana hear of Rama throughout the city? What is his impression?
8. Describe the figure of Valmiki. What great work did he compose?
9. What does King Chedi come upon in the beginning of Viswamitra?
10. Who does Viswamitra present to Harischandra as his first test?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of Viswamitra and the characters Chedi, Vasishta, and Sabala in the narrative. From what kingly race did Chedi descend? Where does King Chedi rule?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the characters of Draupadi, Yudhistira, Arjuna, Bhima, Nakula, Shadeless, and Kunthi. Who are the parents of the Pandava brothers? Where do they live?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the Indian practice of Swayamwara. How does this tradition differ from Western marriage arrangements? What power do women have within this system?
This section contains 1,345 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)