|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the woman in the woods carrying to her father in Lavana?
2. The magician in Lavana claims to use nothing but _______ for his magic.
3. Kumbha claims that the curse put on him makes him turn into ___________ every night.
4. What great sage is master of the Sanjivini mantra in Yayati?
5. What deity is referred to as the creator god in the stories?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the story Devi conclude? Who kills Mahisha?
2. Who does Brahma create in the beginning of Manmata? Why?
3. How is the struggle between the gods and demons described in the beginning of Yayati?
4. What is the third test which Chudala places on her husband? What comes of it?
5. What happens to Manmata's arrows when he shoots them in the beginning of Manmata?
6. How does Chudala test her husband's ability to make no distinction between yielding and resisting?
7. What does Mahisha grow up to be like, in Devi? Why does Indra stand against him?
8. What is the objective of Mahishasura, according to the storyteller in the beginning of Devi?
9. What happens when Kacha decides to return to the god-world in Yayati?
10. What conversation does Iswara have with Vasishta in Viswamitra?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of Viswamitra and the characters Chedi, Vasishta, and Sabala in the narrative. From what kingly race did Chedi descend? Where does King Chedi rule?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the characters of Draupadi, Yudhistira, Arjuna, Bhima, Nakula, Shadeless, and Kunthi. Who are the parents of the Pandava brothers? Where do they live?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism, themes, metaphors, and simile in Viswamitra. How does "man's ego" relate to the story's moral and themes?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)