|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the goddess Devi ride upon?
2. How long does Chedi go to sit in seclusion and meditation before emerging to battle the sage in Viswamitra?
3. What is the woman in the woods carrying to her father in Lavana?
4. What great sage is master of the Sanjivini mantra in Yayati?
5. ___________ fills the tree in which Lavana lands.
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does King Nala find himself after Damayanti's Swayamwara is announced?
2. Who does Damayanti encounter in Chedi? What does she do at that point?
3. What causes the downfall of Kovalan in The Mispaired Anklet?
4. What gods assist Nala's brother in tricking Nala? How and why?
5. What does Vibhishana suggest Ravana do rather than fight?
6. What conversation does Iswara have with Vasishta in Viswamitra?
7. What is Sita's reaction to Ravana once she has been kidnapped?
8. Who does Viswamitra present to Harischandra as his first test?
9. What do the king and queen of Madurai do upon learning of the wrongs done to Kovalan in The Mispaired Anklet? What does Kannagi do?
10. How is the struggle between the gods and demons described in the beginning of Yayati?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Ravana, Kumbhakarna, Soorpanakha, Vibhishana, Kubera, and the setting of Ravana. Why was Ravana renamed and by whom?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of Viswamitra and the characters Chedi, Vasishta, and Sabala in the narrative. From what kingly race did Chedi descend? Where does King Chedi rule?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism, themes, metaphors, and simile in Viswamitra. How does "man's ego" relate to the story's moral and themes?
This section contains 1,372 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)