|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What god is referred to as the destroyer in Devi?
2. Vasishta explains to the king that his strength comes from where in Viswamitra?
3. In the end of Chudala, Sikhi-Dhvaja claims that man's greatest guru is what?
4. The storyteller in Devi concludes by saying that whoever recites this prayer of thanksgiving on _________ will find protection from evil.
5. The Sanjivini mantra is an incantation that can _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the themes and plots within the story Yayati. What unites the story?
2. How is the struggle between the gods and demons described in the beginning of Yayati?
3. Who does Brahma offer in marriage to Manmata? Where does he send them afterward?
4. What does Mahisha grow up to be like, in Devi? Why does Indra stand against him?
5. How does Yayati encounter Deyayani in the story Yayati?
6. What is the third test which Chudala places on her husband? What comes of it?
7. What causes King Lavana to leave his home with his family in Lavana? How does he return?
8. What conversation does Iswara have with Vasishta in Viswamitra?
9. What happens to Manmata's arrows when he shoots them in the beginning of Manmata?
10. What is King Chedi's response to his dinner invitation in the beginning of Viswamitra? How is it explained?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss, analyze and compare Chudala and Sikhi-Dhvaja. How are the husband and wife different in this story? What similarities do they share?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the elements of Hindu faith and belief in Chudala and Lavana. What morals are upheld in each of these stories? How do the stories relate to Christian parables?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss King Lavana. Where is Lavana ruler? How is he thought of by his subjects? What magician visits him?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)