|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Every demon, according to the storyteller, seeks what in Devi?
2. With what does Devi sever Mahisha's head in Devi?
3. What half-human, half-cow does Vasishta reveal in Viswamitra?
4. Where does Sikhi-Dhvaja go to meditate in Chudala?
5. What word means buffalo in Sanskrit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Brahma create in the beginning of Manmata? Why?
2. How is Devi created? What is her appearance like?
3. What is the third test which Chudala places on her husband? What comes of it?
4. What conversation does Iswara have with Vasishta in Viswamitra?
5. What happens to Manmata's arrows when he shoots them in the beginning of Manmata?
6. How does the story Devi conclude? Who kills Mahisha?
7. How does Yayati encounter Deyayani in the story Yayati?
8. What happens when Kacha decides to return to the god-world in Yayati?
9. What obstacles face Kacha once he becomes Sukracharya's pupil in Yayati?
10. What is the objective of Mahishasura, according to the storyteller in the beginning of Devi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Valmiki and Rama. What is the definition of the Adi Kavi, and how did Valmiki earn this title?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Indra, Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva and Mahishasura in Devi. Do these gods hold a definitive role in the stories, or do they transform in each?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Sankha in Valmiki. What are Sankha's incarnations? What is his principle role in the narrative?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)