|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the end of Chudala, Sikhi-Dhvaja claims that man's greatest guru is what?
2. Chudala, disguised as a young male aspic, tells Sikhi-Dhvaja that renouncing one's external possessions is not enough. He must also cultivate a detachment that will render him unaffected by __________.
3. What female does Brahma create to enrich the universe in Manmata?
4. In Viswamitra, the mightiest of the kingly race is a king named __________.
5. In Chudala, Sikhi-Dhvaja is a young prince who is interested in nothing but ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the themes and plots within the story Yayati. What unites the story?
2. What happens to Manmata's arrows when he shoots them in the beginning of Manmata?
3. How does Yayati encounter Deyayani in the story Yayati?
4. Who does Brahma offer in marriage to Manmata? Where does he send them afterward?
5. What causes King Lavana to leave his home with his family in Lavana? How does he return?
6. What does Mahisha grow up to be like, in Devi? Why does Indra stand against him?
7. What is King Chedi's response to his dinner invitation in the beginning of Viswamitra? How is it explained?
8. How does Sabala feel about leaving Vasishta in Viswamitra? What does she do?
9. Who does Sikhi-Dhvaia's father arrange for him to marry? What is their marriage like?
10. How does Chudala test her husband's ability to make no distinction between yielding and resisting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of Viswamitra and the characters Chedi, Vasishta, and Sabala in the narrative. From what kingly race did Chedi descend? Where does King Chedi rule?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss King Lavana. Where is Lavana ruler? How is he thought of by his subjects? What magician visits him?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the characters of Draupadi, Yudhistira, Arjuna, Bhima, Nakula, Shadeless, and Kunthi. Who are the parents of the Pandava brothers? Where do they live?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)