|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the goddess Devi wield in each arm?
2. What word means buffalo in Sanskrit?
3. In Viswamitra, Sabala does not want to leave her sage and asks that she be allowed to create men to ________.
4. In Viswamitra, the mightiest of the kingly race is a king named __________.
5. What does Lavana find himself alone with, which he cannot chase or tame in Lavana?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the story Devi conclude? Who kills Mahisha?
2. How does Chudala test her husband's ability to make no distinction between yielding and resisting?
3. What does King Chedi come upon in the beginning of Viswamitra?
4. What obstacles face Kacha once he becomes Sukracharya's pupil in Yayati?
5. Who does Sikhi-Dhvaia's father arrange for him to marry? What is their marriage like?
6. What is the objective of Mahishasura, according to the storyteller in the beginning of Devi?
7. What happens to Manmata's arrows when he shoots them in the beginning of Manmata?
8. How does Yayati encounter Deyayani in the story Yayati?
9. What does Mahisha grow up to be like, in Devi? Why does Indra stand against him?
10. What does Chudala do in order to find her happiness? What does Sikhi-Dhvaia note about her change?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Valmiki and Rama. What is the definition of the Adi Kavi, and how did Valmiki earn this title?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Ravana, Kumbhakarna, Soorpanakha, Vibhishana, Kubera, and the setting of Ravana. Why was Ravana renamed and by whom?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the elements of Hindu faith and belief in Chudala and Lavana. What morals are upheld in each of these stories? How do the stories relate to Christian parables?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)