|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When she returns to the forest to check on her husband's progress, Chudala finds Sikhi-Dhvaja emaciated and ___________.
2. What ruler of the gods does Mahisha taunt endlessly in Devi?
3. In Chudala, Sikhi-Dhvaja is a young prince who is interested in nothing but ______________.
4. After battling Vasishta and losing, how long did Chedi go back to meditate in seclusion in Viswamitra?
5. Who do the asuras cut into bits and feed to wolves and dogs in Yayati?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Manmata's arrows when he shoots them in the beginning of Manmata?
2. What conversation does Iswara have with Vasishta in Viswamitra?
3. Describe Sikhi-Dhvaia in the beginning of Chudala. How old is he?
4. What is the third test which Chudala places on her husband? What comes of it?
5. How is the struggle between the gods and demons described in the beginning of Yayati?
6. What moral lesson does King Lavana learn from his encounter with a magician?
7. What happens when Kacha decides to return to the god-world in Yayati?
8. What does Mahisha grow up to be like, in Devi? Why does Indra stand against him?
9. What does Mahisha do upon hearing a challenge through the woods in Devi?
10. Who does Sikhi-Dhvaia's father arrange for him to marry? What is their marriage like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the key plot points in Chudala, including exposition, rising action, climax, and denouement and discuss the setting and themes in the story. How is transformation illustrated as a theme?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plot structure and settings of Yayati. What are the story's central themes? How do the characters react to temptation in this narrative? How does it relate to the other stories in the anthology?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the characters of Draupadi, Yudhistira, Arjuna, Bhima, Nakula, Shadeless, and Kunthi. Who are the parents of the Pandava brothers? Where do they live?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)