|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Viswamitra, the mightiest of the kingly race is a king named __________.
2. Whose ambition it is to enter heaven in his earthly form in Viswamitra?
3. What are the anti-gods known as in Yayati?
4. How many men accompany the king when he meets a sage in Viswamitra?
5. When the king awakens in Lavana, how long has he been asleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes King Lavana to leave his home with his family in Lavana? How does he return?
2. What conversation does Iswara have with Vasishta in Viswamitra?
3. What moral lesson does King Lavana learn from his encounter with a magician?
4. What obstacles face Kacha once he becomes Sukracharya's pupil in Yayati?
5. What happens to Manmata's arrows when he shoots them in the beginning of Manmata?
6. Who does Sikhi-Dhvaia's father arrange for him to marry? What is their marriage like?
7. How does Sabala feel about leaving Vasishta in Viswamitra? What does she do?
8. How is the struggle between the gods and demons described in the beginning of Yayati?
9. How does Chudala test her husband's ability to make no distinction between yielding and resisting?
10. What does Mahisha grow up to be like, in Devi? Why does Indra stand against him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss, analyze and compare Chudala and Sikhi-Dhvaja. How are the husband and wife different in this story? What similarities do they share?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of Viswamitra and the characters Chedi, Vasishta, and Sabala in the narrative. From what kingly race did Chedi descend? Where does King Chedi rule?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism, themes, metaphors, and simile in Viswamitra. How does "man's ego" relate to the story's moral and themes?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)