|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the woman in the woods carrying to her father in Lavana?
2. Lavana insists that ____________ leave to go make their own way.
3. What word means buffalo in Sanskrit?
4. What forces Lavana's family to move from their home in the magical world in Lavana?
5. What word refers to anger in Sanskrit?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the struggle between the gods and demons described in the beginning of Yayati?
2. What does Chudala do in order to find her happiness? What does Sikhi-Dhvaia note about her change?
3. What causes King Lavana to leave his home with his family in Lavana? How does he return?
4. Describe Sikhi-Dhvaia in the beginning of Chudala. How old is he?
5. How does the story Devi conclude? Who kills Mahisha?
6. Who does Brahma create in the beginning of Manmata? Why?
7. What does King Chedi come upon in the beginning of Viswamitra?
8. What does Mahisha grow up to be like, in Devi? Why does Indra stand against him?
9. Discuss the themes and plots within the story Yayati. What unites the story?
10. What moral lesson does King Lavana learn from his encounter with a magician?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the life of the author, R. K. Narayan, his culture and literary career, and the influences which he drew from in adapting Gods, Demons, and Others.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the desire for immortality by the asuras in Devi. What is the driving force of "evil," according to R. K. Narayan's perspective? What defines "good"?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism, themes, metaphors, and simile in Viswamitra. How does "man's ego" relate to the story's moral and themes?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)