|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Viswamitra decides to create his own heaven and universe, and makes it upside-down so __________ will feel right-side up.
2. What deity is referred to as the creator god in the stories?
3. What great sage is master of the Sanjivini mantra in Yayati?
4. Whose ambition it is to enter heaven in his earthly form in Viswamitra?
5. What form does Mahisha take to meet the goddess Devi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Kacha decides to return to the god-world in Yayati?
2. What moral lesson does King Lavana learn from his encounter with a magician?
3. How is the struggle between the gods and demons described in the beginning of Yayati?
4. Who does Brahma create in the beginning of Manmata? Why?
5. Who does Sikhi-Dhvaia's father arrange for him to marry? What is their marriage like?
6. What is the third test which Chudala places on her husband? What comes of it?
7. Who does Brahma offer in marriage to Manmata? Where does he send them afterward?
8. What happens to Manmata's arrows when he shoots them in the beginning of Manmata?
9. What does Chudala do in order to find her happiness? What does Sikhi-Dhvaia note about her change?
10. What obstacles face Kacha once he becomes Sukracharya's pupil in Yayati?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the obstacles that Kacha faces upon arriving as Sukracharya's pupil. Does he succumb to these temptations?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Valmiki and Rama. What is the definition of the Adi Kavi, and how did Valmiki earn this title?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Sandhya, Manmata, Rati, Iswara, and the setting of Manmata. Why did Brahma decide to create Sandhya and Manmata?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)