|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chudala, Sikhi-Dhvaja is a young prince who is interested in nothing but ______________.
2. What half-human, half-cow does Vasishta reveal in Viswamitra?
3. What sage invites the king and his men to come in and dine with him in Viswamitra?
4. How long does Chedi go to sit in seclusion and meditation before emerging to battle the sage in Viswamitra?
5. What does the goddess Devi wield in each arm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the sage in the woods ask in return for helping Harischandra?
2. How is the struggle between the gods and demons described in the beginning of Yayati?
3. How does Sabala feel about leaving Vasishta in Viswamitra? What does she do?
4. Who does Savitri discover by her husband in the forest in Savitri? What does she say to him?
5. What happens when Kacha decides to return to the god-world in Yayati?
6. What is the third test which Chudala places on her husband? What comes of it?
7. Who does Brahma create in the beginning of Manmata? Why?
8. What conversation does Iswara have with Vasishta in Viswamitra?
9. Where does Nala leave Damayanti behind in Nala? Why?
10. What is King Chedi's response to his dinner invitation in the beginning of Viswamitra? How is it explained?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Manmata's creation to that of Eros or Cupid in Greek and Roman mythology. In what ways is Manmata like Cupid? How does he differ?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plot structure and settings of Yayati. What are the story's central themes? How do the characters react to temptation in this narrative? How does it relate to the other stories in the anthology?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the desire for immortality by the asuras in Devi. What is the driving force of "evil," according to R. K. Narayan's perspective? What defines "good"?
This section contains 1,354 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)