|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Viswamitra decides to create his own heaven and universe, and makes it upside-down so __________ will feel right-side up.
2. Every demon, according to the storyteller, seeks what in Devi?
3. Who appears to Sikhi-Dhvaia and tells him that since he has achieved such spiritual enlightenment, there is no reason why he should not join in his world of unending pleasure and delight?
4. How old is Sikhi-Dhvaja when he goes out to conquer lands in the name of his father in Chudala?
5. How many arms does the goddess Devi have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the struggle between the gods and demons described in the beginning of Yayati?
2. How does Chudala test her husband's ability to make no distinction between yielding and resisting?
3. Who does Sikhi-Dhvaia's father arrange for him to marry? What is their marriage like?
4. What is the objective of Mahishasura, according to the storyteller in the beginning of Devi?
5. What obstacles face Kacha once he becomes Sukracharya's pupil in Yayati?
6. What does King Chedi come upon in the beginning of Viswamitra?
7. Describe Sikhi-Dhvaia in the beginning of Chudala. How old is he?
8. Discuss the themes and plots within the story Yayati. What unites the story?
9. What does Mahisha grow up to be like, in Devi? Why does Indra stand against him?
10. What is the third test which Chudala places on her husband? What comes of it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the Ramayana and Mahabharata. How many stories in Gods, Demons, and Others are derived from these texts? When were they written?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the elements of Hindu faith and belief in Chudala and Lavana. What morals are upheld in each of these stories? How do the stories relate to Christian parables?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Sandhya, Manmata, Rati, Iswara, and the setting of Manmata. Why did Brahma decide to create Sandhya and Manmata?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)