|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The storyteller in Devi concludes by saying that whoever recites this prayer of thanksgiving on _________ will find protection from evil.
2. The magician in Lavana claims to use nothing but _______ for his magic.
3. What female does Brahma create to enrich the universe in Manmata?
4. How many men accompany the king when he meets a sage in Viswamitra?
5. In Viswamitra, the mightiest of the kingly race is a king named __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mahisha do upon hearing a challenge through the woods in Devi?
2. What conversation does Iswara have with Vasishta in Viswamitra?
3. Describe Sikhi-Dhvaia in the beginning of Chudala. How old is he?
4. What obstacles face Kacha once he becomes Sukracharya's pupil in Yayati?
5. What is the third test which Chudala places on her husband? What comes of it?
6. How does the story Devi conclude? Who kills Mahisha?
7. What does Mahisha grow up to be like, in Devi? Why does Indra stand against him?
8. What causes King Lavana to leave his home with his family in Lavana? How does he return?
9. Who does Brahma offer in marriage to Manmata? Where does he send them afterward?
10. How does Sabala feel about leaving Vasishta in Viswamitra? What does she do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism, themes, metaphors, and simile in Viswamitra. How does "man's ego" relate to the story's moral and themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the desire for immortality by the asuras in Devi. What is the driving force of "evil," according to R. K. Narayan's perspective? What defines "good"?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the key plot points in Chudala, including exposition, rising action, climax, and denouement and discuss the setting and themes in the story. How is transformation illustrated as a theme?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)