|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What deity is referred to as the creator god in the stories?
2. Vasishta explains to the king that his strength comes from where in Viswamitra?
3. Manmata is the god of ______________.
4. What is the woman in the woods carrying to her father in Lavana?
5. Chudala, disguised as a young male aspic, tells Sikhi-Dhvaja that renouncing one's external possessions is not enough. He must also cultivate a detachment that will render him unaffected by __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What conversation does Iswara have with Vasishta in Viswamitra?
2. What does Mahisha do upon hearing a challenge through the woods in Devi?
3. How does Sabala feel about leaving Vasishta in Viswamitra? What does she do?
4. Who does Brahma create in the beginning of Manmata? Why?
5. What moral lesson does King Lavana learn from his encounter with a magician?
6. What happens to Manmata's arrows when he shoots them in the beginning of Manmata?
7. Who does Sikhi-Dhvaia's father arrange for him to marry? What is their marriage like?
8. What is the third test which Chudala places on her husband? What comes of it?
9. What happens when Kacha decides to return to the god-world in Yayati?
10. What is the objective of Mahishasura, according to the storyteller in the beginning of Devi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Indra, Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva and Mahishasura in Devi. Do these gods hold a definitive role in the stories, or do they transform in each?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of Viswamitra and the characters Chedi, Vasishta, and Sabala in the narrative. From what kingly race did Chedi descend? Where does King Chedi rule?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Sankha in Valmiki. What are Sankha's incarnations? What is his principle role in the narrative?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)