Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What deity is referred to as the creator god in the stories?
2. Who appears to Sikhi-Dhvaia and tells him that since he has achieved such spiritual enlightenment, there is no reason why he should not join in his world of unending pleasure and delight?
3. Chudala, disguised as a young male aspic, tells Sikhi-Dhvaja that renouncing one's external possessions is not enough. He must also cultivate a detachment that will render him unaffected by __________.
4. Where does Viswamitra seek solitude, renounce all speech, and rid himself of anger?
5. Manmata asks Brahma if he may test his strength by sending out his __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Asvapati praying in the beginning of Savitri? To whom does he pray?
2. What does Harischandra do when faced with the task of killing a woman?
3. What happens to Manmata's arrows when he shoots them in the beginning of Manmata?
4. What is the objective of Mahishasura, according to the storyteller in the beginning of Devi?
5. What gods assist Nala's brother in tricking Nala? How and why?
6. What obstacles face Kacha once he becomes Sukracharya's pupil in Yayati?
7. Who is Savitri's father with when she announces who she chooses for a husband? What is his reply?
8. Why do Ravana and his brothers go into seclusion? What does Ravana gain?
9. Who arrives to save Sita in Ravana? What does he do to free her?
10. What does Savitri do when her husband's death is coming near in Savitri?
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the Ramayana and Mahabharata. How many stories in Gods, Demons, and Others are derived from these texts? When were they written?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plot structure and settings of Yayati. What are the story's central themes? How do the characters react to temptation in this narrative? How does it relate to the other stories in the anthology?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the characters of Draupadi, Yudhistira, Arjuna, Bhima, Nakula, Shadeless, and Kunthi. Who are the parents of the Pandava brothers? Where do they live?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)