|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What god is referred to as the protector in Devi?
2. Lavana insists that ____________ leave to go make their own way.
3. What does Chedi tell the Ultimate God he wants to wield in Viswamitra?
4. What sage invites the king and his men to come in and dine with him in Viswamitra?
5. Whom do the gods decide to sent into the realm of the demon king Vrishaparva, to study as Sukracharya's pupil in Yayati?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mahisha grow up to be like, in Devi? Why does Indra stand against him?
2. What is the third test which Chudala places on her husband? What comes of it?
3. What does Chudala do in order to find her happiness? What does Sikhi-Dhvaia note about her change?
4. What causes King Lavana to leave his home with his family in Lavana? How does he return?
5. What happens to Manmata's arrows when he shoots them in the beginning of Manmata?
6. What conversation does Iswara have with Vasishta in Viswamitra?
7. What is King Chedi's response to his dinner invitation in the beginning of Viswamitra? How is it explained?
8. What does King Chedi come upon in the beginning of Viswamitra?
9. Describe Sikhi-Dhvaia in the beginning of Chudala. How old is he?
10. How is the struggle between the gods and demons described in the beginning of Yayati?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Valmiki and Rama. What is the definition of the Adi Kavi, and how did Valmiki earn this title?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism, themes, metaphors, and simile in Viswamitra. How does "man's ego" relate to the story's moral and themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Sankha in Valmiki. What are Sankha's incarnations? What is his principle role in the narrative?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)