|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After battling Vasishta and losing, how long did Chedi go back to meditate in seclusion in Viswamitra?
2. Manmata is the god of ______________.
3. Who is Sukracharya's daughter in Yayati?
4. What weapon of Vasishta's repels all attacks in Viswamitra?
5. What is the woman in the woods carrying to her father in Lavana?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Yayati encounter Deyayani in the story Yayati?
2. How does Chudala test her husband's ability to make no distinction between yielding and resisting?
3. Who does Brahma create in the beginning of Manmata? Why?
4. Who does Sikhi-Dhvaia's father arrange for him to marry? What is their marriage like?
5. How is Devi created? What is her appearance like?
6. How is the struggle between the gods and demons described in the beginning of Yayati?
7. What causes King Lavana to leave his home with his family in Lavana? How does he return?
8. What does Mahisha do upon hearing a challenge through the woods in Devi?
9. What is King Chedi's response to his dinner invitation in the beginning of Viswamitra? How is it explained?
10. Describe Sikhi-Dhvaia in the beginning of Chudala. How old is he?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the Ramayana and Mahabharata. How many stories in Gods, Demons, and Others are derived from these texts? When were they written?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Sandhya, Manmata, Rati, Iswara, and the setting of Manmata. Why did Brahma decide to create Sandhya and Manmata?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Manmata's creation to that of Eros or Cupid in Greek and Roman mythology. In what ways is Manmata like Cupid? How does he differ?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)