|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ancient kingdom does Lavana rule?
2. What does the goddess Devi ride upon?
3. How many sons is the king borne by his wife in the magical land in Lavana?
4. What is the name of the young male aspic Chudala disguises herself as to appear to her husband?
5. What forces Lavana's family to move from their home in the magical world in Lavana?
Short Essay Questions
1. What obstacles face Kacha once he becomes Sukracharya's pupil in Yayati?
2. What is King Chedi's response to his dinner invitation in the beginning of Viswamitra? How is it explained?
3. What does Mahisha grow up to be like, in Devi? Why does Indra stand against him?
4. What conversation does Iswara have with Vasishta in Viswamitra?
5. Who does Sikhi-Dhvaia's father arrange for him to marry? What is their marriage like?
6. Describe Sikhi-Dhvaia in the beginning of Chudala. How old is he?
7. What does Mahisha do upon hearing a challenge through the woods in Devi?
8. How is Devi created? What is her appearance like?
9. How does Yayati encounter Deyayani in the story Yayati?
10. What is the objective of Mahishasura, according to the storyteller in the beginning of Devi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Indra, Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva and Mahishasura in Devi. Do these gods hold a definitive role in the stories, or do they transform in each?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of Viswamitra and the characters Chedi, Vasishta, and Sabala in the narrative. From what kingly race did Chedi descend? Where does King Chedi rule?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Manmata's creation to that of Eros or Cupid in Greek and Roman mythology. In what ways is Manmata like Cupid? How does he differ?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)