|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sage does Kumbha claim put a curse on him in Chudala?
2. What does Lavana find himself alone with, which he cannot chase or tame in Lavana?
3. Chudala, disguised as a young male aspic, tells Sikhi-Dhvaja that he struggles because he has no ___________.
4. At the end of Chudala, Sikhi-Dhvaja and Chudala return to their kingdom to rule in peace and happiness for how many years?
5. What sage invites the king and his men to come in and dine with him in Viswamitra?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Brahma offer in marriage to Manmata? Where does he send them afterward?
2. How is the struggle between the gods and demons described in the beginning of Yayati?
3. Who does Brahma create in the beginning of Manmata? Why?
4. Describe Sikhi-Dhvaia in the beginning of Chudala. How old is he?
5. What is the objective of Mahishasura, according to the storyteller in the beginning of Devi?
6. What does Mahisha do upon hearing a challenge through the woods in Devi?
7. What obstacles face Kacha once he becomes Sukracharya's pupil in Yayati?
8. What does Mahisha grow up to be like, in Devi? Why does Indra stand against him?
9. What happens to Manmata's arrows when he shoots them in the beginning of Manmata?
10. What does Chudala do in order to find her happiness? What does Sikhi-Dhvaia note about her change?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Indra, Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva and Mahishasura in Devi. Do these gods hold a definitive role in the stories, or do they transform in each?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Ravana, Kumbhakarna, Soorpanakha, Vibhishana, Kubera, and the setting of Ravana. Why was Ravana renamed and by whom?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Sankha in Valmiki. What are Sankha's incarnations? What is his principle role in the narrative?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)