|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the woman in the woods carrying to her father in Lavana?
2. Who rules the country in Sikhi-Dhvaja's absence?
3. The Sanjivini mantra is an incantation that can _____________.
4. Chudala, disguised as a young male aspic, tells Sikhi-Dhvaja that he struggles because he has no ___________.
5. What deity is referred to as the creator god in the stories?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conversation does Iswara have with Vasishta in Viswamitra?
2. How is Devi created? What is her appearance like?
3. How is the struggle between the gods and demons described in the beginning of Yayati?
4. Describe Sikhi-Dhvaia in the beginning of Chudala. How old is he?
5. How does Chudala test her husband's ability to make no distinction between yielding and resisting?
6. How does Sabala feel about leaving Vasishta in Viswamitra? What does she do?
7. What moral lesson does King Lavana learn from his encounter with a magician?
8. Who does Brahma offer in marriage to Manmata? Where does he send them afterward?
9. What does Mahisha do upon hearing a challenge through the woods in Devi?
10. What happens when Kacha decides to return to the god-world in Yayati?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the key plot points in Chudala, including exposition, rising action, climax, and denouement and discuss the setting and themes in the story. How is transformation illustrated as a theme?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss King Lavana. Where is Lavana ruler? How is he thought of by his subjects? What magician visits him?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the obstacles that Kacha faces upon arriving as Sukracharya's pupil. Does he succumb to these temptations?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)