|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the magical kingdom in Lavana, the king's father-in-law is _______________.
2. What does Chedi tell the Ultimate God he wants to wield in Viswamitra?
3. What half-human, half-cow does Vasishta reveal in Viswamitra?
4. Who is the presiding god of wisdom and acumen in Yayati?
5. In the story Devi, Mahisha claims that no woman has weapons other than ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chudala do in order to find her happiness? What does Sikhi-Dhvaia note about her change?
2. What does Mahisha grow up to be like, in Devi? Why does Indra stand against him?
3. Describe Sikhi-Dhvaia in the beginning of Chudala. How old is he?
4. What does King Chedi come upon in the beginning of Viswamitra?
5. Who does Brahma offer in marriage to Manmata? Where does he send them afterward?
6. What does Mahisha do upon hearing a challenge through the woods in Devi?
7. Who does Sikhi-Dhvaia's father arrange for him to marry? What is their marriage like?
8. How is the struggle between the gods and demons described in the beginning of Yayati?
9. What happens when Kacha decides to return to the god-world in Yayati?
10. Discuss the themes and plots within the story Yayati. What unites the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the characters Sukracharya, Kacha and Vrishaparva and the Sanjivini mantra. Who is Kacha's father and why is he chosen to be sent to Sukracharya?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of Viswamitra and the characters Chedi, Vasishta, and Sabala in the narrative. From what kingly race did Chedi descend? Where does King Chedi rule?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Manmata's creation to that of Eros or Cupid in Greek and Roman mythology. In what ways is Manmata like Cupid? How does he differ?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)