|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lavana insists that ____________ leave to go make their own way.
2. Chudala, disguised as a young male aspic, tells Sikhi-Dhvaja that renouncing one's external possessions is not enough. He must also cultivate a detachment that will render him unaffected by __________.
3. At the end of Chudala, Sikhi-Dhvaja and Chudala return to their kingdom to rule in peace and happiness for how many years?
4. What word refers to pleasure and enjoyment in Sanskrit?
5. What does Lavana find himself alone with, which he cannot chase or tame in Lavana?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Manmata's arrows when he shoots them in the beginning of Manmata?
2. Who does Brahma offer in marriage to Manmata? Where does he send them afterward?
3. Who does Sikhi-Dhvaia's father arrange for him to marry? What is their marriage like?
4. What does King Chedi come upon in the beginning of Viswamitra?
5. Describe Sikhi-Dhvaia in the beginning of Chudala. How old is he?
6. What conversation does Iswara have with Vasishta in Viswamitra?
7. How does the story Devi conclude? Who kills Mahisha?
8. What does Chudala do in order to find her happiness? What does Sikhi-Dhvaia note about her change?
9. What is the objective of Mahishasura, according to the storyteller in the beginning of Devi?
10. What does Mahisha grow up to be like, in Devi? Why does Indra stand against him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss King Lavana. Where is Lavana ruler? How is he thought of by his subjects? What magician visits him?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Indra, Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva and Mahishasura in Devi. Do these gods hold a definitive role in the stories, or do they transform in each?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of Viswamitra and the characters Chedi, Vasishta, and Sabala in the narrative. From what kingly race did Chedi descend? Where does King Chedi rule?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)