|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chudala, disguised as a young male aspic, tells Sikhi-Dhvaja that renouncing one's external possessions is not enough. He must also cultivate a detachment that will render him unaffected by __________.
2. The storyteller in Devi concludes by saying that whoever recites this prayer of thanksgiving on _________ will find protection from evil.
3. What word refers to pleasure and enjoyment in Sanskrit?
4. What does the goddess Devi wear?
5. The magician in Lavana claims to use nothing but _______ for his magic.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Manmata's arrows when he shoots them in the beginning of Manmata?
2. Who does Brahma offer in marriage to Manmata? Where does he send them afterward?
3. What obstacles face Kacha once he becomes Sukracharya's pupil in Yayati?
4. What does Chudala do in order to find her happiness? What does Sikhi-Dhvaia note about her change?
5. What happens when Kacha decides to return to the god-world in Yayati?
6. How does Yayati encounter Deyayani in the story Yayati?
7. How does the story Devi conclude? Who kills Mahisha?
8. Who does Sikhi-Dhvaia's father arrange for him to marry? What is their marriage like?
9. What does Mahisha do upon hearing a challenge through the woods in Devi?
10. What conversation does Iswara have with Vasishta in Viswamitra?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of Viswamitra and the characters Chedi, Vasishta, and Sabala in the narrative. From what kingly race did Chedi descend? Where does King Chedi rule?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the Indian practice of Swayamwara. How does this tradition differ from Western marriage arrangements? What power do women have within this system?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Indra, Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva and Mahishasura in Devi. Do these gods hold a definitive role in the stories, or do they transform in each?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)