|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Ravana's sister that enters his chamber claiming that Rama has attacked her?
2. What in ancient India was a practice of choosing a life partner from among a list of suitors, by a girl of marriageable age?
3. The name Shakuntala means "one who was brought up in the forest by" what creature?
4. What was Kovalan's name in his previous life in The Mispaired Anklet?
5. Who becomes king after Nala loses at a game of dice?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Nala's brother that challenges Nala to a game of dice?
2. Who is Shakuntala's mother?
3. Because his brother had attempted to advise him, Ravana decides to march upon his land, vanquish him, and steal which of his possessions?
4. To what two sons of Rama's does Valmiki pass along the Ramayana?
5. What assistant of Shiva's, who is deformed and dwarfish, orders Ravana to cease and desist from moving the mountain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Damayanti encounter in Chedi? What does she do at that point?
2. Why is Asvapati praying in the beginning of Savitri? To whom does he pray?
3. What is Sita's reaction to Ravana once she has been kidnapped?
4. What does Vibhishana suggest Ravana do rather than fight?
5. Describe the figure of Valmiki. What great work did he compose?
6. Who comes to order Ravana to stop moving a mountain? What is his response?
7. Who is Savitri's father with when she announces who she chooses for a husband? What is his reply?
8. Describe King Nala. Who visits him in the beginning of the story Nala?
9. Where does Nala leave Damayanti behind in Nala? Why?
10. Why does Ravana attack his brother? What does he steal from him?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)