|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What half-human, half-cow does Vasishta reveal in Viswamitra?
2. What is the name of the young male aspic Chudala disguises herself as to appear to her husband?
3. Every demon, according to the storyteller, seeks what in Devi?
(a) The innocent.
4. Vasishta explains to the king that his strength comes from where in Viswamitra?
(a) His spirit.
(b) His food.
(c) His training.
(d) Inside himself.
5. What deity is referred to as the creator god in the stories?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who appears to Sikhi-Dhvaia and tells him that since he has achieved such spiritual enlightenment, there is no reason why he should not join in his world of unending pleasure and delight?
2. How many arms does the goddess Devi have?
3. The magician in Lavana claims to use nothing but _______ for his magic.
4. What does Lavana find himself alone with, which he cannot chase or tame in Lavana?
5. What word refers to pleasure and enjoyment in Sanskrit?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the story Devi conclude? Who kills Mahisha?
2. What does Mahisha do upon hearing a challenge through the woods in Devi?
3. What does Chudala do in order to find her happiness? What does Sikhi-Dhvaia note about her change?
4. What does Mahisha grow up to be like, in Devi? Why does Indra stand against him?
5. Who does Brahma create in the beginning of Manmata? Why?
6. Who does Sikhi-Dhvaia's father arrange for him to marry? What is their marriage like?
7. How is the struggle between the gods and demons described in the beginning of Yayati?
8. How is Devi created? What is her appearance like?
9. Describe Sikhi-Dhvaia in the beginning of Chudala. How old is he?
10. What moral lesson does King Lavana learn from his encounter with a magician?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)