|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the magical kingdom in Lavana, the king's father-in-law is _______________.
(a) A woodcutter.
(b) A merchant.
(c) A sailor.
(d) A doctor.
2. What word refers to pleasure and enjoyment in Sanskrit?
3. Who appears to Sikhi-Dhvaia and tells him that since he has achieved such spiritual enlightenment, there is no reason why he should not join in his world of unending pleasure and delight?
4. After battling Vasishta and losing, how long did Chedi go back to meditate in seclusion in Viswamitra?
(a) 1,500 years.
(b) 5,000 years.
(c) 1,000 years.
(d) 500 years.
5. The storyteller in Devi concludes by saying that whoever recites this prayer of thanksgiving on _________ will find protection from evil.
Short Answer Questions
1. What god is referred to as the destroyer in Devi?
2. What is the woman in the woods carrying to her father in Lavana?
3. What does the goddess Devi wield in each arm?
4. What demon asks the creator that he may continue to live unless a woman appears who is capable of killing him in a fight in Devi?
5. The woman in the woods refuses to help the king unless he does what in Lavana?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mahisha do upon hearing a challenge through the woods in Devi?
2. Who does Brahma offer in marriage to Manmata? Where does he send them afterward?
3. What does King Chedi come upon in the beginning of Viswamitra?
4. How is Devi created? What is her appearance like?
5. How does Chudala test her husband's ability to make no distinction between yielding and resisting?
6. What happens to Manmata's arrows when he shoots them in the beginning of Manmata?
7. What is King Chedi's response to his dinner invitation in the beginning of Viswamitra? How is it explained?
8. How does Yayati encounter Deyayani in the story Yayati?
9. Discuss the themes and plots within the story Yayati. What unites the story?
10. Who does Brahma create in the beginning of Manmata? Why?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)