|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What great sage is master of the Sanjivini mantra in Yayati?
2. What is the name of the young male aspic Chudala disguises herself as to appear to her husband?
3. In Viswamitra, Sabala does not want to leave her sage and asks that she be allowed to create men to ________.
(a) Marry her.
(b) Kill the king.
(c) Cater to her.
(d) Fight off the king's soldiers.
4. Whom does Brahma offer to Manmata for marriage?
5. How many men accompany the king when he meets a sage in Viswamitra?
Short Answer Questions
1. What word refers to anger in Sanskrit?
2. Chudala, disguised as a young male aspic, tells Sikhi-Dhvaja that renouncing one's external possessions is not enough. He must also cultivate a detachment that will render him unaffected by __________.
3. In Chudala, what beautiful woman appears and asks Sikhi-Dhvaja to take her as his wife?
4. What is the Storyteller also known as?
5. The woman in the woods refuses to help the king unless he does what in Lavana?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the objective of Mahishasura, according to the storyteller in the beginning of Devi?
2. What happens to Manmata's arrows when he shoots them in the beginning of Manmata?
3. What conversation does Iswara have with Vasishta in Viswamitra?
4. What does Mahisha do upon hearing a challenge through the woods in Devi?
5. Discuss the themes and plots within the story Yayati. What unites the story?
6. What does Mahisha grow up to be like, in Devi? Why does Indra stand against him?
7. What does King Chedi come upon in the beginning of Viswamitra?
8. How does Yayati encounter Deyayani in the story Yayati?
9. What does Chudala do in order to find her happiness? What does Sikhi-Dhvaia note about her change?
10. Who does Brahma create in the beginning of Manmata? Why?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)