|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the goddess Devi wear?
(a) Gold necklaces.
(b) Red robes.
(c) Silver rings.
(d) Green robes.
2. How long does Chedi go to sit in seclusion and meditation before emerging to battle the sage in Viswamitra?
(a) 1,000 years.
(b) 10,000 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 100 years.
3. What is the woman in the woods carrying to her father in Lavana?
4. What half-human, half-cow does Vasishta reveal in Viswamitra?
5. In the magical kingdom in Lavana, the king's father-in-law is _______________.
(a) A doctor.
(b) A merchant.
(c) A woodcutter.
(d) A sailor.
Short Answer Questions
1. The storyteller in Devi concludes by saying that whoever recites this prayer of thanksgiving on _________ will find protection from evil.
2. Who appears to Sikhi-Dhvaia and tells him that since he has achieved such spiritual enlightenment, there is no reason why he should not join in his world of unending pleasure and delight?
3. What great sage is master of the Sanjivini mantra in Yayati?
4. Whose ambition it is to enter heaven in his earthly form in Viswamitra?
5. What word refers to anger in Sanskrit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Kacha decides to return to the god-world in Yayati?
2. How does Sabala feel about leaving Vasishta in Viswamitra? What does she do?
3. What causes King Lavana to leave his home with his family in Lavana? How does he return?
4. What does Mahisha do upon hearing a challenge through the woods in Devi?
5. How does the story Devi conclude? Who kills Mahisha?
6. How does Chudala test her husband's ability to make no distinction between yielding and resisting?
7. What is King Chedi's response to his dinner invitation in the beginning of Viswamitra? How is it explained?
8. Describe Sikhi-Dhvaia in the beginning of Chudala. How old is he?
9. How is the struggle between the gods and demons described in the beginning of Yayati?
10. Who does Brahma create in the beginning of Manmata? Why?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)