|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What demon asks the creator that he may continue to live unless a woman appears who is capable of killing him in a fight in Devi?
2. In Chudala, Sikhi-Dhvaja is a young prince who is interested in nothing but ______________.
(a) Games and militia.
(b) Money and women.
(c) Women and games.
(d) Games and women.
3. Chudala, disguised as a young male aspic, tells Sikhi-Dhvaja that renouncing one's external possessions is not enough. He must also cultivate a detachment that will render him unaffected by __________.
(a) Love and fear.
(b) Good and evil, pain, pleasure, loss, and gain.
(c) Love and hatred.
(d) Sensual pleasures.
4. Vasishta explains to the king that his strength comes from where in Viswamitra?
(a) His training.
(b) His spirit.
(c) His food.
(d) Inside himself.
5. What is the Storyteller also known as?
(a) The Pandit.
(b) The Pundit.
(c) The Pugilist.
(d) The Philanthropist.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mahisha intends to make the goddess Devi __________.
2. What great sage is master of the Sanjivini mantra in Yayati?
3. What does the goddess Devi wield in each arm?
4. The Sanjivini mantra is an incantation that can _____________.
5. Manmata is the god of ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Devi created? What is her appearance like?
2. How is the struggle between the gods and demons described in the beginning of Yayati?
3. What conversation does Iswara have with Vasishta in Viswamitra?
4. What is King Chedi's response to his dinner invitation in the beginning of Viswamitra? How is it explained?
5. What causes King Lavana to leave his home with his family in Lavana? How does he return?
6. What happens when Kacha decides to return to the god-world in Yayati?
7. What happens to Manmata's arrows when he shoots them in the beginning of Manmata?
8. Who does Sikhi-Dhvaia's father arrange for him to marry? What is their marriage like?
9. What is the third test which Chudala places on her husband? What comes of it?
10. Describe Sikhi-Dhvaia in the beginning of Chudala. How old is he?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)