|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the goddess Devi wield in each arm?
(a) A different fruit.
(b) A different religious text.
(c) A different animal.
(d) A different weapon.
2. When the king awakens in Lavana, how long has he been asleep?
(a) 1 or 2 minutes.
(b) 1 or 2 days.
(c) 1 or 2 weeks.
(d) 1 or 2 hours.
3. Manmata asks Brahma if he may test his strength by sending out his __________.
4. The woman in the woods refuses to help the king unless he does what in Lavana?
(a) Gives her money.
(b) Marries her.
(c) Shares a secret with her.
(d) Answers a question.
5. How old is Sikhi-Dhvaja when he goes out to conquer lands in the name of his father in Chudala?
Short Answer Questions
1. What female does Brahma create to enrich the universe in Manmata?
2. What ruler of the gods does Mahisha taunt endlessly in Devi?
3. Mahisha intends to make the goddess Devi __________.
4. How many arms does the goddess Devi have?
5. What Sanskrit word refers to a "seer" to whom the Vedas were "originally revealed" through states of higher consciousness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is King Chedi's response to his dinner invitation in the beginning of Viswamitra? How is it explained?
2. What causes King Lavana to leave his home with his family in Lavana? How does he return?
3. How does Chudala test her husband's ability to make no distinction between yielding and resisting?
4. How does Yayati encounter Deyayani in the story Yayati?
5. What does Chudala do in order to find her happiness? What does Sikhi-Dhvaia note about her change?
6. How is the struggle between the gods and demons described in the beginning of Yayati?
7. What is the objective of Mahishasura, according to the storyteller in the beginning of Devi?
8. Who does Brahma create in the beginning of Manmata? Why?
9. How does the story Devi conclude? Who kills Mahisha?
10. What does Mahisha do upon hearing a challenge through the woods in Devi?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)