|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who visits Valmiki and tells him the prophecy of a great man, born into the race of Ikshvahus?
2. Nala leaves Damayanti within sight of _________.
(a) The ocean.
(c) The great mountains.
(d) Her father's kingdom.
3. Which of Ravana's sons does he send to attack a giant monkey?
4. Who is referred to as the god of fire in Nala?
5. What in Sanskrit refers to the foremost poet or fountainhead of poetry?
(a) Chidira Locaka.
(b) Kavi Chidira.
(c) Adi Kavi.
(d) Locaka Adi.
6. What was Kovalan's name in his previous life in The Mispaired Anklet?
7. Nala is the ruler of what kingdom?
8. To what two sons of Rama's does Valmiki pass along the Ramayana?
(a) Wajidali and Pavanaj.
(b) Kusa and Lava.
(c) Thenappan and Firdaus.
(d) Nimish and Timirbaran.
9. What in ancient India was a practice of choosing a life partner from among a list of suitors, by a girl of marriageable age?
10. Savriti tells her father that she found the man she wishes to marry __________.
(a) By the sea.
(b) In the mountains.
(c) The market.
(d) In a hermitage.
11. Valmiki composed how many stanzas of the Ramayana?
12. Who is referred to as the lord of Death in Nala?
13. Who is Shakuntala's mother?
14. Because his brother had attempted to advise him, Ravana decides to march upon his land, vanquish him, and steal which of his possessions?
(a) A white horse.
(b) A sword.
(c) A blue cow.
(d) A flying chariot.
15. Who is Kovalan married to in The Mispaired Anklet?
Short Answer Questions
1. What step-brother of Ravana's is a man of great respectability because of his tapas?
2. To what town do Kovalan and his wife move once he has lost everything?
3. What does Nala save a serpent from in Nala?
4. Who is referred to as chief of the minor gods in Nala?
5. In what kingdom is Nala befriended by the king?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)