|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The name Shakuntala means "one who was brought up in the forest by" what creature?
2. What scholar, after completing his studies, is returning home when he is confronted by a robber in Valmiki?
3. Valmiki composed how many stanzas of the Ramayana?
4. Which of Rama's brothers does Viswamitra invite to accompany him to help protect sacrifices that are being meddled with by demons?
5. Who throws herself into a fire to cleanse herself of Ravana's touch?
6. With what sage does Rama decide to live with in the forest as an example to his people in Valmiki?
7. To what two sons of Rama's does Valmiki pass along the Ramayana?
(a) Kusa and Lava.
(b) Wajidali and Pavanaj.
(c) Thenappan and Firdaus.
(d) Nimish and Timirbaran.
8. What assistant of Shiva's, who is deformed and dwarfish, orders Ravana to cease and desist from moving the mountain?
9. With whom does Kovalan have an affair with in The Mispaired Anklet?
10. Who actually stole the queen's anklet in The Mispaired Anklet?
(b) The goldsmith.
11. What does Nala save a serpent from in Nala?
(b) A falling tree.
(c) A fire.
(d) A large bird.
12. The spot where Kovalan arose and joined his wife is today a temple known as _________.
(a) Krayavikrayin Aaghaata.
(b) Hpati Sataa.
(c) Sataa Dhaagaara.
(d) Pattini Devi.
13. Shiva's assistant curses Ravana and tells him that _______ will bring about his demise.
(a) A monkey.
(c) A snake.
(d) A fire.
14. What red-robed, red-eyed figure looming nearby with a noose in his hands does Savriti encounter in the woods?
15. Savriti tells her father that she found the man she wishes to marry __________.
(a) In a hermitage.
(b) In the mountains.
(c) The market.
(d) By the sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What in Sanskrit refers to the foremost poet or fountainhead of poetry?
2. What does Brahma grant to Ravana for his penance?
3. What does the name Ravana translate to in English?
4. What step-brother of Ravana's is a man of great respectability because of his tapas?
5. Kannagi would have redemption in how many days, according to the gods in The Mispaired Anklet?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)