|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What great sage is master of the Sanjivini mantra in Yayati?
2. Who do the asuras cut into bits and feed to wolves and dogs in Yayati?
3. In the story Devi, Mahisha claims that no woman has weapons other than ______________.
(a) Her curves and her eyes.
(b) Her eyes and her brain.
(c) Her eyes and her curves.
(d) Her brain and her hands.
4. What sage does Kumbha claim put a curse on him in Chudala?
5. What Sanskrit word refers to a "seer" to whom the Vedas were "originally revealed" through states of higher consciousness?
6. The Sanjivini mantra is an incantation that can _____________.
(a) Bring the dead back to life.
(b) Heal the sick.
(c) Make it rain.
(d) Ensure bountiful crops.
7. What does the goddess Devi wield in each arm?
(a) A different fruit.
(b) A different weapon.
(c) A different animal.
(d) A different religious text.
8. What is the woman in the woods carrying to her father in Lavana?
9. What does the goddess Devi ride upon?
(a) An elephant.
(b) A lion.
(c) A giraffe.
(d) A buffalo.
10. Chudala, disguised as a young male aspic, tells Sikhi-Dhvaja that renouncing one's external possessions is not enough. He must also cultivate a detachment that will render him unaffected by __________.
(a) Good and evil, pain, pleasure, loss, and gain.
(b) Love and hatred.
(c) Sensual pleasures.
(d) Love and fear.
11. Whom does Brahma offer to Manmata for marriage?
12. What forces Lavana's family to move from their home in the magical world in Lavana?
(a) A flood.
(b) A fire.
(c) A famine.
(d) An earthquake.
13. In Viswamitra, the mightiest of the kingly race is a king named __________.
14. Whose ambition it is to enter heaven in his earthly form in Viswamitra?
15. What is the name of the young male aspic Chudala disguises herself as to appear to her husband?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many arms does the goddess Devi have?
2. What ruler of the gods does Mahisha taunt endlessly in Devi?
3. What are the anti-gods known as in Yayati?
4. What does Lavana find himself alone with, which he cannot chase or tame in Lavana?
5. Manmata is the god of ______________.
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)