|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What form does Mahisha take to meet the goddess Devi?
2. In Chudala, what beautiful woman appears and asks Sikhi-Dhvaja to take her as his wife?
3. Chudala, disguised as a young male aspic, tells Sikhi-Dhvaja that renouncing one's external possessions is not enough. He must also cultivate a detachment that will render him unaffected by __________.
(a) Love and hatred.
(b) Sensual pleasures.
(c) Love and fear.
(d) Good and evil, pain, pleasure, loss, and gain.
4. What does the goddess Devi wear?
(a) Gold necklaces.
(b) Silver rings.
(c) Green robes.
(d) Red robes.
5. How many arms does the goddess Devi have?
6. In Viswamitra, Sabala does not want to leave her sage and asks that she be allowed to create men to ________.
(a) Cater to her.
(b) Kill the king.
(c) Marry her.
(d) Fight off the king's soldiers.
7. The goddess Devi sends word that she wants Mahisha to either come and face her, or return where?
(b) To her mother.
(c) The forest.
(d) The netherworld.
8. When the king awakens in Lavana, how long has he been asleep?
(a) 1 or 2 minutes.
(b) 1 or 2 days.
(c) 1 or 2 hours.
(d) 1 or 2 weeks.
9. The Sanjivini mantra is an incantation that can _____________.
(a) Ensure bountiful crops.
(b) Heal the sick.
(c) Bring the dead back to life.
(d) Make it rain.
10. What Sanskrit word refers to a "seer" to whom the Vedas were "originally revealed" through states of higher consciousness?
11. What does Lavana find himself alone with, which he cannot chase or tame in Lavana?
(a) A gray horse.
(b) A black dog.
(c) A wolf.
(d) A black horse.
12. With what does Devi sever Mahisha's head in Devi?
(a) A lightning bolt.
(b) A throwing star.
(c) A sword.
(d) A discus.
13. In the story Devi, Mahisha claims that no woman has weapons other than ______________.
(a) Her curves and her eyes.
(b) Her brain and her hands.
(c) Her eyes and her brain.
(d) Her eyes and her curves.
14. Manmata asks Brahma if he may test his strength by sending out his __________.
15. Manmata is the god of ______________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chudala, disguised as a young male aspic, tells Sikhi-Dhvaja that he struggles because he has no ___________.
2. What ruler of the gods does Mahisha taunt endlessly in Devi?
3. Who is Sukracharya's daughter in Yayati?
4. Whom do the gods decide to sent into the realm of the demon king Vrishaparva, to study as Sukracharya's pupil in Yayati?
5. ___________ fills the tree in which Lavana lands.
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)