|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Viswamitra seek solitude, renounce all speech, and rid himself of anger?
(a) The forest.
(b) The Himalayas.
(c) The desert..
(d) The Indian Ocean.
2. What ruler of the gods does Mahisha taunt endlessly in Devi?
3. In the story Devi, Mahisha claims that no woman has weapons other than ______________.
(a) Her eyes and her curves.
(b) Her eyes and her brain.
(c) Her brain and her hands.
(d) Her curves and her eyes.
4. Chudala, disguised as a young male aspic, tells Sikhi-Dhvaja that renouncing one's external possessions is not enough. He must also cultivate a detachment that will render him unaffected by __________.
(a) Sensual pleasures.
(b) Love and fear.
(c) Good and evil, pain, pleasure, loss, and gain.
(d) Love and hatred.
5. What is the Storyteller also known as?
(a) The Pundit.
(b) The Pandit.
(c) The Philanthropist.
(d) The Pugilist.
6. What form does Mahisha take to meet the goddess Devi?
7. Mahisha intends to make the goddess Devi __________.
(a) A slave.
(b) His queen.
(c) His mistress.
(d) An advisor.
8. How old is Sikhi-Dhvaja when he goes out to conquer lands in the name of his father in Chudala?
9. The Sanjivini mantra is an incantation that can _____________.
(a) Make it rain.
(b) Bring the dead back to life.
(c) Heal the sick.
(d) Ensure bountiful crops.
10. What does the goddess Devi wear?
(a) Red robes.
(b) Green robes.
(c) Gold necklaces.
(d) Silver rings.
11. The storyteller in Devi concludes by saying that whoever recites this prayer of thanksgiving on _________ will find protection from evil.
12. How many arms does the goddess Devi have?
13. What female does Brahma create to enrich the universe in Manmata?
14. The goddess Devi sends word that she wants Mahisha to either come and face her, or return where?
(a) To her mother.
(b) The forest.
(d) The netherworld.
15. Who is referred to as the Ultimate God in Viswamitra?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lavana find himself alone with, which he cannot chase or tame in Lavana?
2. Manmata asks Brahma if he may test his strength by sending out his __________.
3. How many men accompany the king when he meets a sage in Viswamitra?
4. Viswamitra decides to create his own heaven and universe, and makes it upside-down so __________ will feel right-side up.
5. Who do the asuras cut into bits and feed to wolves and dogs in Yayati?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)