|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose ambition it is to enter heaven in his earthly form in Viswamitra?
2. What does the goddess Devi ride upon?
(a) A buffalo.
(b) A lion.
(c) A giraffe.
(d) An elephant.
3. What Sanskrit word refers to a "seer" to whom the Vedas were "originally revealed" through states of higher consciousness?
4. Chudala, disguised as a young male aspic, tells Sikhi-Dhvaja that renouncing one's external possessions is not enough. He must also cultivate a detachment that will render him unaffected by __________.
(a) Love and hatred.
(b) Good and evil, pain, pleasure, loss, and gain.
(c) Love and fear.
(d) Sensual pleasures.
5. The storyteller in Devi concludes by saying that whoever recites this prayer of thanksgiving on _________ will find protection from evil.
6. What ancient kingdom does Lavana rule?
(a) Uttar Punjab.
(b) Uttar Pandava.
(c) Madhya Pradesh.
(d) Uttar Pradesh.
7. What god is referred to as the protector in Devi?
8. How many sons is the king borne by his wife in the magical land in Lavana?
9. Whom do the gods decide to sent into the realm of the demon king Vrishaparva, to study as Sukracharya's pupil in Yayati?
10. Mahisha intends to make the goddess Devi __________.
(a) His mistress.
(b) A slave.
(c) His queen.
(d) An advisor.
11. In the magical kingdom in Lavana, the king's father-in-law is _______________.
(a) A doctor.
(b) A sailor.
(c) A merchant.
(d) A woodcutter.
12. How many men accompany the king when he meets a sage in Viswamitra?
13. The woman in the woods refuses to help the king unless he does what in Lavana?
(a) Marries her.
(b) Shares a secret with her.
(c) Gives her money.
(d) Answers a question.
14. How long does Chedi go to sit in seclusion and meditation before emerging to battle the sage in Viswamitra?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 100 years.
(c) 1,000 years.
(d) 10,000 years.
15. After battling Vasishta and losing, how long did Chedi go back to meditate in seclusion in Viswamitra?
(a) 1,000 years.
(b) 5,000 years.
(c) 500 years.
(d) 1,500 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What great sage is master of the Sanjivini mantra in Yayati?
2. Who is the presiding god of wisdom and acumen in Yayati?
3. What does the goddess Devi wear?
4. At the end of Chudala, Sikhi-Dhvaja and Chudala return to their kingdom to rule in peace and happiness for how many years?
5. How old is Sikhi-Dhvaja when he goes out to conquer lands in the name of his father in Chudala?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)