|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do the asuras cut into bits and feed to wolves and dogs in Yayati?
2. What form does Mahisha take to meet the goddess Devi?
3. What is the woman in the woods carrying to her father in Lavana?
4. Where does Sikhi-Dhvaja go to meditate in Chudala?
(a) The desert.
(b) The mountaintop.
(c) The riverside.
(d) The forest.
5. What word refers to pleasure and enjoyment in Sanskrit?
6. Whom do the gods decide to sent into the realm of the demon king Vrishaparva, to study as Sukracharya's pupil in Yayati?
7. In Chudala, Sikhi-Dhvaja is a young prince who is interested in nothing but ______________.
(a) Games and militia.
(b) Money and women.
(c) Women and games.
(d) Games and women.
8. The magician in Lavana claims to use nothing but _______ for his magic.
(a) His eyes.
(b) His feet.
(c) His hands.
(d) His mind.
9. Mahisha intends to make the goddess Devi __________.
(a) His queen.
(b) His mistress.
(c) An advisor.
(d) A slave.
10. Viswamitra decides to create his own heaven and universe, and makes it upside-down so __________ will feel right-side up.
11. What ancient kingdom does Lavana rule?
(a) Uttar Punjab.
(b) Uttar Pradesh.
(c) Uttar Pandava.
(d) Madhya Pradesh.
12. With what does Devi sever Mahisha's head in Devi?
(a) A discus.
(b) A sword.
(c) A throwing star.
(d) A lightning bolt.
13. What deity is referred to as the creator god in the stories?
14. What does the goddess Devi wield in each arm?
(a) A different religious text.
(b) A different weapon.
(c) A different fruit.
(d) A different animal.
15. What is the name of the young male aspic Chudala disguises herself as to appear to her husband?
Short Answer Questions
1. What Sanskrit word refers to a "seer" to whom the Vedas were "originally revealed" through states of higher consciousness?
2. In Viswamitra, Sabala does not want to leave her sage and asks that she be allowed to create men to ________.
3. The Sanjivini mantra is an incantation that can _____________.
4. When the king awakens in Lavana, how long has he been asleep?
5. How old is Sikhi-Dhvaja when he goes out to conquer lands in the name of his father in Chudala?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)