|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many arms does the goddess Devi have?
2. What is the woman in the woods carrying to her father in Lavana?
3. How old is Sikhi-Dhvaja when he goes out to conquer lands in the name of his father in Chudala?
4. What ruler of the gods does Mahisha taunt endlessly in Devi?
5. How long does Chedi go to sit in seclusion and meditation before emerging to battle the sage in Viswamitra?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 1,000 years.
(c) 10,000 years.
(d) 100 years.
6. Every demon, according to the storyteller, seeks what in Devi?
(c) The innocent.
7. What Sanskrit word refers to a "seer" to whom the Vedas were "originally revealed" through states of higher consciousness?
8. What half-human, half-cow does Vasishta reveal in Viswamitra?
9. What word refers to pleasure and enjoyment in Sanskrit?
10. What weapon of Vasishta's repels all attacks in Viswamitra?
(a) His staff.
(b) His bow.
(c) His knife.
(d) His sword.
11. The goddess Devi sends word that she wants Mahisha to either come and face her, or return where?
(a) The netherworld.
(c) To her mother.
(d) The forest.
12. ___________ fills the tree in which Lavana lands.
13. Whom do the gods decide to sent into the realm of the demon king Vrishaparva, to study as Sukracharya's pupil in Yayati?
14. In the end of Chudala, Sikhi-Dhvaja claims that man's greatest guru is what?
(a) His wife.
(b) His first born son.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
15. What forces Lavana's family to move from their home in the magical world in Lavana?
(a) An earthquake.
(b) A flood.
(c) A fire.
(d) A famine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What beautiful young princess does Sikhi-Dhvaja's father arrange for him to marry?
2. After battling Vasishta and losing, how long did Chedi go back to meditate in seclusion in Viswamitra?
3. Chudala, disguised as a young male aspic, tells Sikhi-Dhvaja that renouncing one's external possessions is not enough. He must also cultivate a detachment that will render him unaffected by __________.
4. In Viswamitra, the mightiest of the kingly race is a king named __________.
5. The magician in Lavana claims to use nothing but _______ for his magic.
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)