|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lahbib calm down Bakayoko when he learns of Gorgui's death?
2. Why does Penda believe the women should march to Dakar?
3. Where do Bakayoko and N'Deye Touti meet in "Chapter 18"?
4. What makes Bakayoko's plan to go with the women in "Chapter 16" difficult?
5. After Penda's death, what does N'Deye Touti accuse her of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Bakayoko visits the union offices in "Chapter 15"?
2. What happens when the women reach the Vatican?
3. In "Epilogue", what problems does union management have with Isnard?
4. How is Bakary affected by Bakayoko's return in "Chapter 15"?
5. Why does Bakayoko decide to return home in "Chapter 18"?
6. What does Leblanc confess to in "Chapter 14"?
7. What happens when word reaches the union offices about the end of the strike?
8. In "Chapter 16", what plan does Penda announce?
9. What do the apprentices use their sling shots for?
10. What happens when N'Deye Touti and Bakayoko discuss marriage in "Chapter 18"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Bakayoko as a character. What is his role in this novel? How does Bakayoko affect other characters, the plot and major themes?
Essay Topic 2
What role do speeches play in the novel? Consider the languages that are used, the audiences present and the actual outcomes.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the scenes featuring negotiations between the French management and the union representatives. Analyze the use of dialogue vs. description during these scenes to convey messages about the relationships between the workers.
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)