|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does N'Deye Touti feel about being a second wife?
2. Who criticizes Bakayoko when he leaves for Dakar in "Chapter 16"?
3. What role does Edouard play in the strike?
4. In "Chapter 15", how is the night described?
5. In "Chapter 14", how do the French refer to the Africans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Beaugosse leaves the union?
2. What happens when the women reach the Vatican?
3. What happens at the end of Bakayoko's meeting with Dejean in "Chapter 15"?
4. How does Bakayoko feel about going to Dakar in "Chapter 16"?
5. What does Pierrot say he wants to do in "Chapter 14"?
6. What happens when Bakayoko visits the union offices in "Chapter 15"?
7. In "Chapter 19", what happens to Keita in prison?
8. What do the apprentices use their sling shots for?
9. How do the strikers feel about Isnard when they return to work in "Epilogue"?
10. How does Bakayoko feel when he first arrives in Dakar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the use of many characters with many different plot lines and conflicts. Is this effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the scenes featuring negotiations between the French management and the union representatives. Analyze the use of dialogue vs. description during these scenes to convey messages about the relationships between the workers.
Essay Topic 3
What commentary does the author offer on social status in "God's Bits of Wood"? Consider the class divides among the Africans, the French and between the two groups.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)