|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Keita face east during his exercise break in "Chapter 18"?
2. Who does Lahbib ask to his meeting in "Epilogue"?
3. In "Epilogue", how are the women described after the strike?
4. After the apprentices are shot, how do the people in town feel?
5. How does the narrator describe Pierrot when he first appears in "Chapter 14"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the general strike in "Chapter 17" affect the union?
2. How does Bakayoko feel about going to Dakar in "Chapter 16"?
3. In "Chapter 19", what happens to Keita in prison?
4. Why does Bakayoko decide to return home in "Chapter 18"?
5. What happens on the third day of the march to Dakar?
6. What does Leblanc confess to in "Chapter 14"?
7. What happens when the women reach the Vatican?
8. What happens when Bakayoko visits the union offices in "Chapter 15"?
9. What do the apprentices use their sling shots for?
10. What happens after Beaugosse leaves the union?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research the period of history described in this novel. How is this novel accurate? How is it inaccurate? What is the effect of this?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of women in the society of this novel. Consider their traditional roles to the ones that develop because of the strike.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the use of symbolism in this novel. Focus on the storm, death, animals or the bits of wood.
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)