|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does N'Deye Touti do to show her support for the compound after Bakayoko leaves in "Chapter 17"?
2. What does the crowd do when they hear the gunshots in "Epilogue"?
3. Why does Edouard leave during the meeting in "Chapter 15"?
4. How does the narrator describe Pierrot when he first appears in "Chapter 14"?
5. Why is Isnard described as being resentful in "Epilogue"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when word reaches the union offices about the end of the strike?
2. What happens when Bakayoko visits the union offices in "Chapter 15"?
3. How does Bakayoko feel when he first arrives in Dakar?
4. How does Bakayoko feel about going to Dakar in "Chapter 16"?
5. How does Dejean first react to Bakayoko's return in "Chapter 15"?
6. How do the strikers feel about Isnard when they return to work in "Epilogue"?
7. What does Leblanc confess to in "Chapter 14"?
8. What happens on the third day of the march to Dakar?
9. What do the apprentices use their sling shots for?
10. What does Bakayoko talk about during the speeches in "Chapter 17"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of women in the society of this novel. Consider their traditional roles to the ones that develop because of the strike.
Essay Topic 2
What message does the author convey about tradition vs. progress in "God's Bits of Wood"?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Bakayoko as a character. What is his role in this novel? How does Bakayoko affect other characters, the plot and major themes?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)