|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maimouna do at the end of "Epilogue"?
2. What role does Edouard play in the strike?
3. Where do Bakayoko and N'Deye Touti meet in "Chapter 18"?
4. Why does Edouard leave during the meeting in "Chapter 15"?
5. In "Chapter 18", what does N'Deye Touti want to know about Bakayoko?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Epilogue", what problems does union management have with Isnard?
2. How does Bakayoko feel when he first arrives in Dakar?
3. Why do the women march to the Vatican?
4. How does Dejean first react to Bakayoko's return in "Chapter 15"?
5. What happens when word reaches the union offices about the end of the strike?
6. What do the apprentices use their sling shots for?
7. What happens after Beaugosse leaves the union?
8. In "Chapter 19", what happens to Keita in prison?
9. How do the strikers feel about Isnard when they return to work in "Epilogue"?
10. What happens when N'Deye Touti and Bakayoko discuss marriage in "Chapter 18"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the relationship between the individual and the community as it is developed in "God's Bits of Wood".
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the theme of oppression in this novel. Consider the groups of people and individuals who are oppressed. What message does the author convey about oppression?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the use of many characters with many different plot lines and conflicts. Is this effective? Why or why not?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)