|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leads the women's march to Dakar?
2. Why does Lahbib call a meeting in "Epilogue"?
3. Who criticizes Bakayoko when he leaves for Dakar in "Chapter 16"?
4. How does Bakayoko learn that Beugosse switched sides to stand with the French?
5. In "Chapter 15", how is the night described?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Beaugosse leaves the union?
2. What happens when the women reach the Vatican?
3. What happens when Bakayoko visits the union offices in "Chapter 15"?
4. Why does Bakayoko decide to return home in "Chapter 18"?
5. What happens on the third day of the march to Dakar?
6. How is the father of Maimouna's children revealed?
7. In "Epilogue", what problems does union management have with Isnard?
8. What happens when word reaches the union offices about the end of the strike?
9. What does Pierrot say he wants to do in "Chapter 14"?
10. What happens when N'Deye Touti and Bakayoko discuss marriage in "Chapter 18"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of religion in this novel? Specifically focus on Christianity and Islam.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author define culture in this novel? How does culture sway in "God's Bits of Wood"?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the use of many characters with many different plot lines and conflicts. Is this effective? Why or why not?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)