|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Penda's death, what does N'Deye Touti accuse her of?
2. Who leads the women's march to Dakar?
3. Who criticizes Bakayoko when he leaves for Dakar in "Chapter 16"?
4. How do the apprentices make their sling shots?
5. Why do the workers protest in "Epilogue"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after the apprentices are shot?
2. How is Bakary affected by Bakayoko's return in "Chapter 15"?
3. What happens after Beaugosse leaves the union?
4. How does Bakayoko feel about going to Dakar in "Chapter 16"?
5. Why do the women march to the Vatican?
6. In "Chapter 19", what happens to Keita in prison?
7. What happens when N'Deye Touti and Bakayoko discuss marriage in "Chapter 18"?
8. How is the father of Maimouna's children revealed?
9. In "Chapter 16", what plan does Penda announce?
10. How do the strikers feel about Isnard when they return to work in "Epilogue"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Bakayoko as a character. What is his role in this novel? How does Bakayoko affect other characters, the plot and major themes?
Essay Topic 2
There are several scenes of violence in this novel. What is the purpose of this violence and the way it is described?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of women in the society of this novel. Consider their traditional roles to the ones that develop because of the strike.
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)