|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lahbib ask to his meeting in "Epilogue"?
2. In "Chapter 17", what do the business owners want to do regarding the strike?
3. Why does Bakayoko refuse to go to Doudou's funeral?
4. Why does Penda believe the women should march to Dakar?
5. In "Chapter 16", how does the crowd respond to the plan to march to Dakar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when word reaches the union offices about the end of the strike?
2. What does Pierrot say he wants to do in "Chapter 14"?
3. How is Bakary affected by Bakayoko's return in "Chapter 15"?
4. How is the father of Maimouna's children revealed?
5. What happens when Bakayoko visits the union offices in "Chapter 15"?
6. How does Dejean first react to Bakayoko's return in "Chapter 15"?
7. How does the general strike in "Chapter 17" affect the union?
8. Why do the women march to the Vatican?
9. How does Bakayoko feel when he first arrives in Dakar?
10. What happens after Beaugosse leaves the union?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After reading this novel, what do you think the author believes makes a hero? Consider the different leaders in this novel, the women as well as the workers themselves.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Thies to Dakar as settings in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author foreshadow the final negotiation between the union and the management in this novel?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)