|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Penda's death, what does N'Deye Touti accuse her of?
2. How is Keita cut in "Chapter 18"?
3. In "Chapter 15", how is the night described?
4. In "Chapter 18", what does N'Deye Touti want to know about Bakayoko?
5. What does the narrator say is the "swan song" of N'Deye Touti's youth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the father of Maimouna's children revealed?
2. How does the general strike in "Chapter 17" affect the union?
3. What happens after the apprentices are shot?
4. What does Pierrot say he wants to do in "Chapter 14"?
5. What happens when N'Deye Touti and Bakayoko discuss marriage in "Chapter 18"?
6. What happens at the end of Bakayoko's meeting with Dejean in "Chapter 15"?
7. How do the strikers feel about Isnard when they return to work in "Epilogue"?
8. How does Bakayoko feel when he first arrives in Dakar?
9. What happens after Beaugosse leaves the union?
10. In "Chapter 16", what plan does Penda announce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several scenes of violence in this novel. What is the purpose of this violence and the way it is described?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the impact of colonization in this novel. What is the author's message about colonization?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the theme of oppression in this novel. Consider the groups of people and individuals who are oppressed. What message does the author convey about oppression?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)