|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 16", what does Boubacar enjoy about the march?
2. What does the crowd do when they hear the gunshots in "Epilogue"?
3. How does Bakayoko learn that Beugosse switched sides to stand with the French?
4. Who does Keita stay with in prison in "Chapter 18"?
5. Why is Isnard's wife shot?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the father of Maimouna's children revealed?
2. How does Bakayoko feel about going to Dakar in "Chapter 16"?
3. How does Dejean first react to Bakayoko's return in "Chapter 15"?
4. How do the strikers feel about Isnard when they return to work in "Epilogue"?
5. What happens on the third day of the march to Dakar?
6. How is Bakary affected by Bakayoko's return in "Chapter 15"?
7. What happens after the apprentices are shot?
8. How does the general strike in "Chapter 17" affect the union?
9. What does Leblanc confess to in "Chapter 14"?
10. What happens after Beaugosse leaves the union?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the scenes featuring negotiations between the French management and the union representatives. Analyze the use of dialogue vs. description during these scenes to convey messages about the relationships between the workers.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the use of symbolism in this novel. Focus on the storm, death, animals or the bits of wood.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author foreshadow the final negotiation between the union and the management in this novel?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)