|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bakayoko refuse to go to Doudou's funeral?
2. Why does Edouard leave during the meeting in "Chapter 15"?
3. In "Chapter 17", what do the business owners want to do regarding the strike?
4. Why is Isnard's wife shot?
5. How is Keita cut in "Chapter 18"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the end of Bakayoko's meeting with Dejean in "Chapter 15"?
2. In "Chapter 16", what plan does Penda announce?
3. What happens when Bakayoko visits the union offices in "Chapter 15"?
4. What happens after the apprentices are shot?
5. How is the father of Maimouna's children revealed?
6. What happens on the third day of the march to Dakar?
7. How does Bakayoko feel when he first arrives in Dakar?
8. What happens after Beaugosse leaves the union?
9. Why does Bakayoko decide to return home in "Chapter 18"?
10. Why do the women march to the Vatican?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of women in the society of this novel. Consider their traditional roles to the ones that develop because of the strike.
Essay Topic 2
What commentary does the author offer on social status in "God's Bits of Wood"? Consider the class divides among the Africans, the French and between the two groups.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the use of symbolism in this novel. Focus on the storm, death, animals or the bits of wood.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)