|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 15", what does Bakayoko tell Dejean his group's feelings toward the French are?
2. As the strike continues, how do the apprentices feel about it?
3. Who does Keita stay with in prison in "Chapter 18"?
4. Why is Isnard's wife shot?
5. Why does Isnard believe Pierre has sided with the Africans?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dejean first react to Bakayoko's return in "Chapter 15"?
2. How does the general strike in "Chapter 17" affect the union?
3. How is Bakary affected by Bakayoko's return in "Chapter 15"?
4. What happens when word reaches the union offices about the end of the strike?
5. How is the father of Maimouna's children revealed?
6. What does Leblanc confess to in "Chapter 14"?
7. How do the strikers feel about Isnard when they return to work in "Epilogue"?
8. In "Chapter 16", what plan does Penda announce?
9. What happens at the end of Bakayoko's meeting with Dejean in "Chapter 15"?
10. How does Bakayoko feel when he first arrives in Dakar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do speeches play in the novel? Consider the languages that are used, the audiences present and the actual outcomes.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the use of symbolism in this novel. Focus on the storm, death, animals or the bits of wood.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author define culture in this novel? How does culture sway in "God's Bits of Wood"?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)