|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say is the "swan song" of N'Deye Touti's youth?
2. In "Chapter 15", how is the night described?
3. What does Bakayoko do after Penda announces her plan to march to Dakar?
4. How does Pierre feel about Bakayoko's return?
5. How is Keita cut in "Chapter 18"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the women march to the Vatican?
2. What happens at the end of Bakayoko's meeting with Dejean in "Chapter 15"?
3. How is Bakary affected by Bakayoko's return in "Chapter 15"?
4. How is the father of Maimouna's children revealed?
5. What happens when the women reach the Vatican?
6. How does Bakayoko feel when he first arrives in Dakar?
7. How does Bakayoko feel about going to Dakar in "Chapter 16"?
8. In "Chapter 19", what happens to Keita in prison?
9. In "Chapter 16", what plan does Penda announce?
10. What does Pierrot say he wants to do in "Chapter 14"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Thies to Dakar as settings in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
What commentary does the author offer on social status in "God's Bits of Wood"? Consider the class divides among the Africans, the French and between the two groups.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of religion in this novel? Specifically focus on Christianity and Islam.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)