|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 16", who do Bakayoko and Lahbib talk to first?
2. What does the crowd do when they hear the gunshots in "Epilogue"?
3. Who does Lahbib ask to his meeting in "Epilogue"?
4. In "Chapter 15", how is the night described?
5. Why does Penda believe the women should march to Dakar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the women march to the Vatican?
2. How is Bakary affected by Bakayoko's return in "Chapter 15"?
3. What happens when word reaches the union offices about the end of the strike?
4. What happens after the apprentices are shot?
5. In "Chapter 16", what plan does Penda announce?
6. How does Dejean first react to Bakayoko's return in "Chapter 15"?
7. What happens when the women reach the Vatican?
8. What happens after Beaugosse leaves the union?
9. How does Bakayoko feel about going to Dakar in "Chapter 16"?
10. How is the father of Maimouna's children revealed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research the period of history described in this novel. How is this novel accurate? How is it inaccurate? What is the effect of this?
Essay Topic 2
There are several scenes of violence in this novel. What is the purpose of this violence and the way it is described?
Essay Topic 3
What commentary does the author offer on social status in "God's Bits of Wood"? Consider the class divides among the Africans, the French and between the two groups.
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)