|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the workers protest in "Epilogue"?
2. After Edouard leaves in "Chapter 15", what does Bakayoko decide to do?
3. After Beugosse leaves the union, what does Bakayoko say about him?
4. Why do the people of Dakar have a difficult time understanding the speeches in "Chapter 17"?
5. How does Lahbib calm down Bakayoko when he learns of Gorgui's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Chapter 16", what plan does Penda announce?
2. What happens when word reaches the union offices about the end of the strike?
3. In "Chapter 19", what happens to Keita in prison?
4. What happens when the women reach the Vatican?
5. What happens when N'Deye Touti and Bakayoko discuss marriage in "Chapter 18"?
6. Why does Bakayoko decide to return home in "Chapter 18"?
7. What happens after the apprentices are shot?
8. What happens at the end of Bakayoko's meeting with Dejean in "Chapter 15"?
9. What do the apprentices use their sling shots for?
10. What does Bakayoko talk about during the speeches in "Chapter 17"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Thies to Dakar as settings in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the relationship between the individual and the community as it is developed in "God's Bits of Wood".
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the characterizations of the French. How do these help to develop the French characters? Are there bias involved? What is the impact of these?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)