|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the apprentices make their sling shots?
2. How do the apprentices test their sling shots?
3. Why do the people of Dakar have a difficult time understanding the speeches in "Chapter 17"?
4. After Penda's death, what does N'Deye Touti accuse her of?
5. Where do the women decide to march to in "Epilogue"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on the third day of the march to Dakar?
2. What does Pierrot say he wants to do in "Chapter 14"?
3. How does Dejean first react to Bakayoko's return in "Chapter 15"?
4. What happens when word reaches the union offices about the end of the strike?
5. Why do the women march to the Vatican?
6. What happens after the apprentices are shot?
7. How does Bakayoko feel when he first arrives in Dakar?
8. How is the father of Maimouna's children revealed?
9. What does Bakayoko talk about during the speeches in "Chapter 17"?
10. What happens at the end of Bakayoko's meeting with Dejean in "Chapter 15"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research the period of history described in this novel. How is this novel accurate? How is it inaccurate? What is the effect of this?
Essay Topic 2
After reading this novel, what do you think the author believes makes a hero? Consider the different leaders in this novel, the women as well as the workers themselves.
Essay Topic 3
What commentary does the author offer on social status in "God's Bits of Wood"? Consider the class divides among the Africans, the French and between the two groups.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)