|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maimouna do at the end of "Epilogue"?
2. As the strike continues, how do the apprentices feel about it?
3. In "Chapter 14", how do the French refer to the Africans?
4. Why does Keita face east during his exercise break in "Chapter 18"?
5. What does Bakayoko do after Penda announces her plan to march to Dakar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the use of symbolism in this novel. Focus on the storm, death, animals or the bits of wood.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Bakayoko as a character. What is his role in this novel? How does Bakayoko affect other characters, the plot and major themes?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the characterizations of the French. How do these help to develop the French characters? Are there bias involved? What is the impact of these?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)