|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the police come for Ramatoulaye in "Chapter 6", what do the other women do?
2. What does Mame Sofi get along with the water in "Chapter 5"?
3. How do Mame Sofi and the women start a fire in the village?
4. In "Chapter 9", why does the Imam negotiate with the police?
5. What does Beaugosse do when it is suggested he take part in the delegation to meet with Dejean?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of "Chapter 12", why is there celebration at the union offices?
2. What does Mame Sofi do when the water seller visits in "Chapter 5"?
3. Why is Doudou offered a promotion in "Chapter 12"?
4. What happens after the battle in "Chapter 3"?
5. What happens when the women are sprayed with a fire hose in "Chapter 9"?
6. What makes N'Deye Touti feel like an outcast?
7. How does "Chapter 1" begin?
8. What happens when N'Deye Touti encounters the police in "Chapter 9"?
9. How does Penda form a relationship with Maimouna?
10. In "Chapter 4", what do Daouda-Beaugosse, Deune, and Arona discuss before meeting with other union members?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Bakayoko as a character. What is his role in this novel? How does Bakayoko affect other characters, the plot and major themes?
Essay Topic 2
After reading this novel, what do you think the author believes makes a hero? Consider the different leaders in this novel, the women as well as the workers themselves.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the relationship between the individual and the community as it is developed in "God's Bits of Wood".
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)