Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tiemoko visit Bakayoko in "Chapter 7"?
2. What does Mame Sofi get along with the water in "Chapter 5"?
3. In "Chapter 4", why do the union members tease Beaugosse?
4. In "Chapter 11", what do Penda and Maimouna discuss?
5. How does Mame Sofi get the water seller to leave the water behind in "Chapter 5"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does "Chapter 1" begin?
2. What does Mame Sofi do when the water seller visits in "Chapter 5"?
3. Why is Doudou offered a promotion in "Chapter 12"?
4. What does Sounkare do at the beginning of the strike?
5. In "Chapter 4", what do the women in the cart discuss?
6. How does Bakayoko feel about going to Dakar in "Chapter 16"?
7. What happens when the women reach the Vatican?
8. What happens at the end of Bakayoko's meeting with Dejean in "Chapter 15"?
9. In "Chapter 3", what solutions to the strike do Dejean and the deputies come up with?
10. How does Penda form a relationship with Maimouna?
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of religion in this novel? Specifically focus on Christianity and Islam.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of women in the society of this novel. Consider their traditional roles to the ones that develop because of the strike.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the use of many characters with many different plot lines and conflicts. Is this effective? Why or why not?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)