|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 10", how does Sounkare describe the strikers?
2. In "Chapter 9", why do the women patrol the streets?
3. In "Chapter 9", how does N'Deye Touti learn that the police want to arrest Ramatoulaye?
4. Who does Mame Sofi try to confront in "Chapter 9"?
5. What does N'Deye Touti do when the police officer comments on her appearance in "Chapter 9"?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Ramatoulaye turn herself into the police?
2. What does Sounkare do at the beginning of the strike?
3. What happens after the apprentices are shot?
4. In "Chapter 9", how does N'Deye Touti feel about the confrontations with police?
5. In "Chapter 16", what plan does Penda announce?
6. What happens at the end of Bakayoko's meeting with Dejean in "Chapter 15"?
7. How does Penda form a relationship with Maimouna?
8. Why does Niakoro want to test Ad'jibid'ji's mind?
9. What do N'Deye Touti and Beaugosse talk about in "Chapter 5"?
10. How does the general strike in "Chapter 17" affect the union?
Essay Topic 1
After reading this novel, what do you think the author believes makes a hero? Consider the different leaders in this novel, the women as well as the workers themselves.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Bakayoko as a character. What is his role in this novel? How does Bakayoko affect other characters, the plot and major themes?
Essay Topic 3
What message does the author convey about tradition vs. progress in "God's Bits of Wood"?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)