|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What angers Niakoro about speaking with Ad'jibid'ji in "Chapter 1"?
2. Why does Penda ask about the father of Maimouna's children?
3. What does Ad'jibid'ji say when Niakoro asks her about what washes the water?
4. How is Penda related to Dieynaba?
5. How does Bachirou feel about striking?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Niakoro want to test Ad'jibid'ji's mind?
2. What do N'Deye Touti and Beaugosse talk about in "Chapter 5"?
3. What action does Tiemoko decide to take against Diara in "Chapter 7"?
4. What happens when the women are sprayed with a fire hose in "Chapter 9"?
5. What does Ad'jibid'ji do when the French soldiers arrive in "Chapter 7"?
6. In "Chapter 9", how does N'Deye Touti feel about the confrontations with police?
7. How does Penda form a relationship with Maimouna?
8. In "Chapter 4", what do Daouda-Beaugosse, Deune, and Arona discuss before meeting with other union members?
9. How do the workers feel the morning of the strike in "Chapter 2"?
10. How does N'Deye Touti feel after the fire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of women in the society of this novel. Consider their traditional roles to the ones that develop because of the strike.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the characterizations of the French. How do these help to develop the French characters? Are there bias involved? What is the impact of these?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the theme of oppression in this novel. Consider the groups of people and individuals who are oppressed. What message does the author convey about oppression?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)