|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the women in the cart do when their horse gets stuck in "Chapter 4"?
2. In "Chapter 6", what does the narrator say people began to talk about when they spoke of the strike?
3. Why does Ramatoulaye threaten to kill her brother's pet?
4. Who does the Imam think is running the strike?
5. Where does N'Deye Touti go after leaving the police in "Chapter 9"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Chapter 6", what are the union members excited about?
2. How do the workers feel the morning of the strike in "Chapter 2"?
3. What happens to Sounkare at the garage in "Chapter 10"?
4. What does Sounkare do before visiting the garage in "Chapter 10"?
5. What happens after the battle in "Chapter 3"?
6. At the end of "Chapter 12", why is there celebration at the union offices?
7. What happens when the women are sprayed with a fire hose in "Chapter 9"?
8. What happens when the soldiers arrive in "Chapter 2"?
9. What makes N'Deye Touti feel like an outcast?
10. What action does Tiemoko decide to take against Diara in "Chapter 7"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What commentary does the author offer on social status in "God's Bits of Wood"? Consider the class divides among the Africans, the French and between the two groups.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the scenes featuring negotiations between the French management and the union representatives. Analyze the use of dialogue vs. description during these scenes to convey messages about the relationships between the workers.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the relationship between the individual and the community as it is developed in "God's Bits of Wood".
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)