|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 6", where is Beaugosse when he argues about the strike?
2. In "Chapter 2", how do the residents of Thies act as they wake up?
3. Who takes over the workers jobs when they strike in "Chapter 3"?
4. In "Chapter 10", how does Sounkare describe his life as he visits the strike committee?
5. In "Chapter 9", why does the Imam negotiate with the police?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the soldiers arrive in "Chapter 2"?
2. During Diara's trial, what things occur that make the crowd angry?
3. Why does Keita get in trouble at Diara's trial?
4. What happens when N'Deye Touti and Bakayoko discuss marriage in "Chapter 18"?
5. What happens when N'Deye Touti encounters the police in "Chapter 9"?
6. What happens on the third day of the march to Dakar?
7. What happens to Ramatoulaye after she kills the ram?
8. What does Pierrot say he wants to do in "Chapter 14"?
9. What happens at the end of Bakayoko's meeting with Dejean in "Chapter 15"?
10. What happens when the women reach the Vatican?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the scenes featuring negotiations between the French management and the union representatives. Analyze the use of dialogue vs. description during these scenes to convey messages about the relationships between the workers.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of religion in this novel? Specifically focus on Christianity and Islam.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author define culture in this novel? How does culture sway in "God's Bits of Wood"?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)