|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Samba's role as a train worker?
2. In "Chapter 3", how many workers are killed in the battle?
3. What is Sounkare's job?
4. In "Chapter 9", why do the women patrol the streets?
5. In "Chapter 7", how is Assitan described as a woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the strike meeting in "Chapter 1"?
2. What do N'Deye Touti and Beaugosse talk about in "Chapter 5"?
3. What action does Tiemoko decide to take against Diara in "Chapter 7"?
4. In "Chapter 3", what solutions to the strike do Dejean and the deputies come up with?
5. In "Chapter 6", what are the union members excited about?
6. How do the workers feel the morning of the strike in "Chapter 2"?
7. What happens when the women are sprayed with a fire hose in "Chapter 9"?
8. At the end of "Chapter 12", why is there celebration at the union offices?
9. What does Sounkare do at the beginning of the strike?
10. In "Chapter 4", what do Daouda-Beaugosse, Deune, and Arona discuss before meeting with other union members?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of religion in this novel? Specifically focus on Christianity and Islam.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the characterizations of the French. How do these help to develop the French characters? Are there bias involved? What is the impact of these?
Essay Topic 3
Research the period of history described in this novel. How is this novel accurate? How is it inaccurate? What is the effect of this?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)