|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many deputies visit with Dejean in "Chapter 3"?
2. What is Samba's role as a train worker?
3. In "Chapter 7", why do the French soldiers beat Ad'jibid'ji and Niakoro?
4. Who does Tiemoko take with him to arrest Diara?
5. How does N'Deye Touti feel about the women confronting the police?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the soldiers arrive in "Chapter 2"?
2. During Diara's trial, what things occur that make the crowd angry?
3. What do N'Deye Touti and Beaugosse talk about in "Chapter 5"?
4. How does Penda feel about men?
5. What does Mame Sofi do when the water seller visits in "Chapter 5"?
6. How does N'Deye Touti feel after the fire?
7. At the end of "Chapter 12", why is there celebration at the union offices?
8. What happens when N'Deye Touti encounters the police in "Chapter 9"?
9. In "Chapter 4", what do Daouda-Beaugosse, Deune, and Arona discuss before meeting with other union members?
10. How does Penda form a relationship with Maimouna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the use of symbolism in this novel. Focus on the storm, death, animals or the bits of wood.
Essay Topic 2
There are several scenes of violence in this novel. What is the purpose of this violence and the way it is described?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the relationship between the individual and the community as it is developed in "God's Bits of Wood".
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)