|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ad'jibid'ji first do when she goes to the strike meeting in "Chapter 1"?
2. In "Chapter 4", why do the women in the cart have food?
3. When the police come for Ramatoulaye in "Chapter 6", what do the other women do?
4. How does Tiemoko feel at the end of Diara's trial?
5. How does Mame Sofi get the water seller to leave the water behind in "Chapter 5"?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of "Chapter 12", why is there celebration at the union offices?
2. What happens after the battle in "Chapter 3"?
3. In "Chapter 6", what are the union members excited about?
4. What does Sounkare do before visiting the garage in "Chapter 10"?
5. In "Chapter 4", what do the women in the cart discuss?
6. What happens to Sounkare at the garage in "Chapter 10"?
7. Why does Niakoro want to test Ad'jibid'ji's mind?
8. What happens when the women are sprayed with a fire hose in "Chapter 9"?
9. What does Mame Sofi do when the water seller visits in "Chapter 5"?
10. During Diara's trial, what things occur that make the crowd angry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do speeches play in the novel? Consider the languages that are used, the audiences present and the actual outcomes.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast two female characters in "God's Bits of Wood".
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of women in the society of this novel. Consider their traditional roles to the ones that develop because of the strike.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)