|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 7", why do the French soldiers beat Ad'jibid'ji and Niakoro?
2. What is Samba's role as a train worker?
3. How do Mame Sofi and the women start a fire in the village?
4. How does N'Deye Touti feel about the women confronting the police?
5. Who takes over the workers jobs when they strike in "Chapter 3"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Chapter 4", what do the women in the cart discuss?
2. Why does Ramatoulaye kill the ram in "Chapter 6"?
3. What does Ad'jibid'ji do when the French soldiers arrive in "Chapter 7"?
4. In "Chapter 4", what do Daouda-Beaugosse, Deune, and Arona discuss before meeting with other union members?
5. How does Penda feel about men?
6. Why does Niakoro want to test Ad'jibid'ji's mind?
7. What happens after the battle in "Chapter 3"?
8. What happens at the strike meeting in "Chapter 1"?
9. What action does Tiemoko decide to take against Diara in "Chapter 7"?
10. What does Sounkare do at the beginning of the strike?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research the period of history described in this novel. How is this novel accurate? How is it inaccurate? What is the effect of this?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of religion in this novel? Specifically focus on Christianity and Islam.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of women in the society of this novel. Consider their traditional roles to the ones that develop because of the strike.
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)