|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 10", how does Sounkare describe his life as he visits the strike committee?
2. Who takes over the workers jobs when they strike in "Chapter 3"?
3. What does Beaugosse do when the fire breaks out in "Chapter 9"?
4. Why does Penda ask about the father of Maimouna's children?
5. Who treats Maimouna's wounds in "Chapter 3"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after the battle in "Chapter 3"?
2. When does Ramatoulaye turn herself into the police?
3. How does N'Deye Touti feel after the fire?
4. What happens to Sounkare at the garage in "Chapter 10"?
5. In "Chapter 4", what do the women in the cart discuss?
6. In "Chapter 9", how does N'Deye Touti feel about the confrontations with police?
7. How do the workers feel the morning of the strike in "Chapter 2"?
8. Why is Ramatoulaye frustrated in "Chapter 4"?
9. What happens when the soldiers arrive in "Chapter 2"?
10. In "Chapter 3", how is the impact of the strike described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the use of many characters with many different plot lines and conflicts. Is this effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There are several scenes of violence in this novel. What is the purpose of this violence and the way it is described?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the characterizations of the French. How do these help to develop the French characters? Are there bias involved? What is the impact of these?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)