|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 3", how does Maimouna make her way out of the marketplace?
2. How is Maimouna's social status described in "Chapter 2"?
3. What does Maimouna ask Penda about her child in "Chapter 11"?
4. In "Chapter 10", how does Sounkare describe the strikers?
5. When the police come for Ramatoulaye in "Chapter 6", what do the other women do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What action does Tiemoko decide to take against Diara in "Chapter 7"?
2. What happens when the women are sprayed with a fire hose in "Chapter 9"?
3. During Diara's trial, what things occur that make the crowd angry?
4. What happens when N'Deye Touti and Bakayoko discuss marriage in "Chapter 18"?
5. Why does Keita get in trouble at Diara's trial?
6. How do the strikers feel about Isnard when they return to work in "Epilogue"?
7. What happens to Ramatoulaye after she kills the ram?
8. In "Chapter 6", what are the union members excited about?
9. How does Bakayoko feel when he first arrives in Dakar?
10. How do the workers feel the morning of the strike in "Chapter 2"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several scenes of violence in this novel. What is the purpose of this violence and the way it is described?
Essay Topic 2
What message does the author convey about tradition vs. progress in "God's Bits of Wood"?
Essay Topic 3
After reading this novel, what do you think the author believes makes a hero? Consider the different leaders in this novel, the women as well as the workers themselves.
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)