Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tiemoko visit Bakayoko in "Chapter 7"?
2. What does Mame Sofi get along with the water in "Chapter 5"?
3. In "Chapter 4", why do the union members tease Beaugosse?
4. In "Chapter 11", what do Penda and Maimouna discuss?
5. How does Mame Sofi get the water seller to leave the water behind in "Chapter 5"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does "Chapter 1" begin?
2. What does Mame Sofi do when the water seller visits in "Chapter 5"?
3. Why is Doudou offered a promotion in "Chapter 12"?
4. What does Sounkare do at the beginning of the strike?
5. In "Chapter 4", what do the women in the cart discuss?
6. How does Bakayoko feel about going to Dakar in "Chapter 16"?
7. What happens when the women reach the Vatican?
8. What happens at the end of Bakayoko's meeting with Dejean in "Chapter 15"?
9. In "Chapter 3", what solutions to the strike do Dejean and the deputies come up with?
10. How does Penda form a relationship with Maimouna?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the scenes featuring negotiations between the French management and the union representatives. Analyze the use of dialogue vs. description during these scenes to convey messages about the relationships between the workers.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author define culture in this novel? How does culture sway in "God's Bits of Wood"?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the theme of oppression in this novel. Consider the groups of people and individuals who are oppressed. What message does the author convey about oppression?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)