|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 6", where is Beaugosse when he argues about the strike?
2. Why does Mame Sofi want the women to use flaming torches in "Chapter 9"?
3. Why does Beaugosse want to know how N'Deye Touti feels about Bakayoko?
4. Who does Mame Sofi try to confront in "Chapter 9"?
5. How do Mame Sofi and the women start a fire in the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the strike meeting in "Chapter 1"?
2. At the end of "Chapter 12", why is there celebration at the union offices?
3. What happens to Sounkare at the garage in "Chapter 10"?
4. In "Chapter 4", what do the women in the cart discuss?
5. In "Chapter 9", how does N'Deye Touti feel about the confrontations with police?
6. How do the workers feel the morning of the strike in "Chapter 2"?
7. How does Penda feel about men?
8. In "Chapter 6", what are the union members excited about?
9. What happens when N'Deye Touti encounters the police in "Chapter 9"?
10. What does Ad'jibid'ji do when the French soldiers arrive in "Chapter 7"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Bakayoko as a character. What is his role in this novel? How does Bakayoko affect other characters, the plot and major themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the use of many characters with many different plot lines and conflicts. Is this effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of women in the society of this novel. Consider their traditional roles to the ones that develop because of the strike.
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)