|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the fire, who does N'Deye Touti think of?
2. How does N'Deye Touti feel about the women confronting the police?
3. What does Ramatoulaye's brother keep as a pet?
4. In "Chapter 4", why do the women in the cart have food?
5. What does Beaugosse do when it is suggested he take part in the delegation to meet with Dejean?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Penda feel about men?
2. In "Chapter 6", what are the union members excited about?
3. What happens to Ramatoulaye after she kills the ram?
4. What does Sounkare do at the beginning of the strike?
5. What happens when the soldiers arrive in "Chapter 2"?
6. How does Penda form a relationship with Maimouna?
7. What makes Maimouna stand out in the marketplace?
8. What happens after the battle in "Chapter 3"?
9. In "Chapter 3", what solutions to the strike do Dejean and the deputies come up with?
10. In "Chapter 4", what do the women in the cart discuss?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the impact of colonization in this novel. What is the author's message about colonization?
Essay Topic 2
What commentary does the author offer on social status in "God's Bits of Wood"? Consider the class divides among the Africans, the French and between the two groups.
Essay Topic 3
Research the period of history described in this novel. How is this novel accurate? How is it inaccurate? What is the effect of this?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)