|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does N'Deye Touti do when the police officer comments on her appearance in "Chapter 9"?
2. After the fire, who does N'Deye Touti think of?
3. What happens to Sounkare after he dies?
4. In "Chapter 9", why does the Imam negotiate with the police?
5. In "Chapter 1", what does Niakoro remember about the first train-workers' strike?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Chapter 9", how does Mame Sofi feel about the confrontations with police?
2. Why does Keita get in trouble at Diara's trial?
3. In "Chapter 6", what are the union members excited about?
4. Why does Ramatoulaye kill the ram in "Chapter 6"?
5. Why is Ramatoulaye frustrated in "Chapter 4"?
6. How do the workers feel the morning of the strike in "Chapter 2"?
7. What happens to Ramatoulaye after she kills the ram?
8. How does "Chapter 1" begin?
9. What happens when the soldiers arrive in "Chapter 2"?
10. Why does Niakoro want to test Ad'jibid'ji's mind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the use of symbolism in this novel. Focus on the storm, death, animals or the bits of wood.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the scenes featuring negotiations between the French management and the union representatives. Analyze the use of dialogue vs. description during these scenes to convey messages about the relationships between the workers.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of religion in this novel? Specifically focus on Christianity and Islam.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)