|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sounkare die?
2. In "Chapter 7", how many union members are discovered to have returned to work?
3. In "Chapter 9", where is Beaugosse told to travel?
4. When the police come for Ramatoulaye in "Chapter 6", what do the other women do?
5. How many siblings does Strike have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after the battle in "Chapter 3"?
2. When does Ramatoulaye turn herself into the police?
3. Why does Niakoro want to test Ad'jibid'ji's mind?
4. In "Chapter 4", what do Daouda-Beaugosse, Deune, and Arona discuss before meeting with other union members?
5. What makes Maimouna stand out in the marketplace?
6. In "Chapter 9", how does Mame Sofi feel about the confrontations with police?
7. In "Chapter 7", what does Tiemoko think is an appropriate punishment for union workers who return to work during the strike?
8. What happens to Sounkare at the garage in "Chapter 10"?
9. Why does Keita get in trouble at Diara's trial?
10. In "Chapter 6", what are the union members excited about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do speeches play in the novel? Consider the languages that are used, the audiences present and the actual outcomes.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author foreshadow the final negotiation between the union and the management in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the use of symbolism in this novel. Focus on the storm, death, animals or the bits of wood.
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)