|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who discovers Ad'jibid'ji and Niakoro after they are beaten?
2. What makes Ramatoulaye consider apologizing to the other women in "Chapter 9"?
3. How does Sounkare die?
4. In "Chapter 6", where is Beaugosse when he argues about the strike?
5. Who lives at N'diayene?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does N'Deye Touti feel after the fire?
2. In "Chapter 9", how does N'Deye Touti feel about the confrontations with police?
3. In "Chapter 4", what do Daouda-Beaugosse, Deune, and Arona discuss before meeting with other union members?
4. What happens after the battle in "Chapter 3"?
5. What happens to Ramatoulaye after she kills the ram?
6. What does Sounkare do before visiting the garage in "Chapter 10"?
7. What happens when N'Deye Touti encounters the police in "Chapter 9"?
8. What happens when the women are sprayed with a fire hose in "Chapter 9"?
9. What makes Maimouna stand out in the marketplace?
10. What happens when the soldiers arrive in "Chapter 2"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do speeches play in the novel? Consider the languages that are used, the audiences present and the actual outcomes.
Essay Topic 2
What commentary does the author offer on social status in "God's Bits of Wood"? Consider the class divides among the Africans, the French and between the two groups.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the impact of colonization in this novel. What is the author's message about colonization?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)