Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tiemoko visit Bakayoko in "Chapter 7"?
2. What does Mame Sofi get along with the water in "Chapter 5"?
3. In "Chapter 4", why do the union members tease Beaugosse?
4. In "Chapter 11", what do Penda and Maimouna discuss?
5. How does Mame Sofi get the water seller to leave the water behind in "Chapter 5"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does "Chapter 1" begin?
2. What does Mame Sofi do when the water seller visits in "Chapter 5"?
3. Why is Doudou offered a promotion in "Chapter 12"?
4. What does Sounkare do at the beginning of the strike?
5. In "Chapter 4", what do the women in the cart discuss?
6. How does Bakayoko feel about going to Dakar in "Chapter 16"?
7. What happens when the women reach the Vatican?
8. What happens at the end of Bakayoko's meeting with Dejean in "Chapter 15"?
9. In "Chapter 3", what solutions to the strike do Dejean and the deputies come up with?
10. How does Penda form a relationship with Maimouna?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Bakayoko as a character. What is his role in this novel? How does Bakayoko affect other characters, the plot and major themes?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the theme of oppression in this novel. Consider the groups of people and individuals who are oppressed. What message does the author convey about oppression?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Thies to Dakar as settings in this novel.
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)