|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes over the workers jobs when they strike in "Chapter 3"?
2. What does Keita do when the crowd gets emotional at the strike meeting in "Chapter 1"?
3. Why does Beaugosse want to know how N'Deye Touti feels about Bakayoko?
4. Why is Bachirou threatened with violence in "Chapter 2"?
5. In "Chapter 9", why does the police officer comment on N'Deye Touti's appearance in front of her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Penda form a relationship with Maimouna?
2. In "Chapter 9", how does Mame Sofi feel about the confrontations with police?
3. What happens to Sounkare at the garage in "Chapter 10"?
4. What happens when N'Deye Touti encounters the police in "Chapter 9"?
5. Why does Niakoro want to test Ad'jibid'ji's mind?
6. How does Penda feel about men?
7. What happens after the battle in "Chapter 3"?
8. At the end of "Chapter 12", why is there celebration at the union offices?
9. In "Chapter 3", what solutions to the strike do Dejean and the deputies come up with?
10. When does Ramatoulaye turn herself into the police?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the scenes featuring negotiations between the French management and the union representatives. Analyze the use of dialogue vs. description during these scenes to convey messages about the relationships between the workers.
Essay Topic 2
What role do speeches play in the novel? Consider the languages that are used, the audiences present and the actual outcomes.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Bakayoko as a character. What is his role in this novel? How does Bakayoko affect other characters, the plot and major themes?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)