|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After killing the ram in "Chapter 6", what does Ramatoulaye remind the other women?
2. Why do the deputies visit with Dejean in "Chapter 3"?
3. What does Maimouna warn Samba against in "Chapter 2"?
4. Where do Bakayoko's co-leaders decide to put guards after the deadly battle in "Chapter 3"?
5. How does Bachirou feel about striking?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Chapter 4", what do Daouda-Beaugosse, Deune, and Arona discuss before meeting with other union members?
2. Why does Ramatoulaye kill the ram in "Chapter 6"?
3. Why does Keita get in trouble at Diara's trial?
4. What happens at the strike meeting in "Chapter 1"?
5. In "Chapter 4", what do the women in the cart discuss?
6. In "Chapter 3", what solutions to the strike do Dejean and the deputies come up with?
7. How do the workers feel the morning of the strike in "Chapter 2"?
8. In "Chapter 6", what are the union members excited about?
9. How does Penda form a relationship with Maimouna?
10. What happens to Ramatoulaye after she kills the ram?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author define culture in this novel? How does culture sway in "God's Bits of Wood"?
Essay Topic 2
What message does the author convey about tradition vs. progress in "God's Bits of Wood"?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the theme of oppression in this novel. Consider the groups of people and individuals who are oppressed. What message does the author convey about oppression?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)