|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lives at N'diayene?
2. Who does Keita argue with about the strike after the meeting in "Chapter 1"?
3. At Diara's trial, why is it suggested that he be flogged?
4. In "Chapter 7", why do the French soldiers beat Ad'jibid'ji and Niakoro?
5. Why do Bakayoko's co-leaders call off the striking action in "Chapter 3"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Maimouna stand out in the marketplace?
2. What does Ad'jibid'ji do when the French soldiers arrive in "Chapter 7"?
3. What does Sounkare do before visiting the garage in "Chapter 10"?
4. What does Sounkare do at the beginning of the strike?
5. Why is Ramatoulaye frustrated in "Chapter 4"?
6. How do the workers feel the morning of the strike in "Chapter 2"?
7. Why does Ramatoulaye kill the ram in "Chapter 6"?
8. In "Chapter 4", what do the women in the cart discuss?
9. How does Penda form a relationship with Maimouna?
10. Why is Doudou offered a promotion in "Chapter 12"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the relationship between the individual and the community as it is developed in "God's Bits of Wood".
Essay Topic 2
What role do speeches play in the novel? Consider the languages that are used, the audiences present and the actual outcomes.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the theme of oppression in this novel. Consider the groups of people and individuals who are oppressed. What message does the author convey about oppression?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)