|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Beaugosse feel is really running the strike?
2. How many siblings does Strike have?
3. In "Chapter 10", how does Sounkare describe the strikers?
4. What does Keita do when the crowd gets emotional at the strike meeting in "Chapter 1"?
5. Who does the Imam think is running the strike?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the workers feel the morning of the strike in "Chapter 2"?
2. What action does Tiemoko decide to take against Diara in "Chapter 7"?
3. Why does Niakoro want to test Ad'jibid'ji's mind?
4. In "Chapter 4", what do Daouda-Beaugosse, Deune, and Arona discuss before meeting with other union members?
5. How does "Chapter 1" begin?
6. In "Chapter 3", how is the impact of the strike described?
7. In "Chapter 9", how does Mame Sofi feel about the confrontations with police?
8. Why is Doudou offered a promotion in "Chapter 12"?
9. What does Ad'jibid'ji do when the French soldiers arrive in "Chapter 7"?
10. In "Chapter 3", what solutions to the strike do Dejean and the deputies come up with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the use of many characters with many different plot lines and conflicts. Is this effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the theme of oppression in this novel. Consider the groups of people and individuals who are oppressed. What message does the author convey about oppression?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Thies to Dakar as settings in this novel.
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)