|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What angers Niakoro about speaking with Ad'jibid'ji in "Chapter 1"?
2. What does Beaugosse do when the fire breaks out in "Chapter 9"?
3. Why does Mame Sofi want the women to use flaming torches in "Chapter 9"?
4. What does Maimouna warn Samba against in "Chapter 2"?
5. In "Chapter 9", what does Mame Sofi say when she hears N'Deye Touti talking about the confrontation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does "Chapter 1" begin?
2. Why does Keita get in trouble at Diara's trial?
3. What does Sounkare do before visiting the garage in "Chapter 10"?
4. Why is Doudou offered a promotion in "Chapter 12"?
5. What happens when the women are sprayed with a fire hose in "Chapter 9"?
6. How does Penda form a relationship with Maimouna?
7. Why does Ramatoulaye kill the ram in "Chapter 6"?
8. In "Chapter 3", how is the impact of the strike described?
9. In "Chapter 3", what solutions to the strike do Dejean and the deputies come up with?
10. How does Penda feel about men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the use of many characters with many different plot lines and conflicts. Is this effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author foreshadow the final negotiation between the union and the management in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
There are several scenes of violence in this novel. What is the purpose of this violence and the way it is described?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)