|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 3", what does Dejean tell his supervisors?
2. In "Chapter 3", how does Maimouna make her way out of the marketplace?
3. Why does Ramatoulaye threaten to kill her brother's pet?
4. How does Bachirou feel about striking?
5. How is Penda related to Dieynaba?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Ramatoulaye turn herself into the police?
2. Why is Ramatoulaye frustrated in "Chapter 4"?
3. How do the workers feel the morning of the strike in "Chapter 2"?
4. What happens when the women are sprayed with a fire hose in "Chapter 9"?
5. What happens to Sounkare at the garage in "Chapter 10"?
6. How does Penda form a relationship with Maimouna?
7. In "Chapter 3", what solutions to the strike do Dejean and the deputies come up with?
8. What does Sounkare do before visiting the garage in "Chapter 10"?
9. Why is Doudou offered a promotion in "Chapter 12"?
10. How does N'Deye Touti feel after the fire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of women in the society of this novel. Consider their traditional roles to the ones that develop because of the strike.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author define culture in this novel? How does culture sway in "God's Bits of Wood"?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the use of symbolism in this novel. Focus on the storm, death, animals or the bits of wood.
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)