|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the apprentices make their sling shots?
(a) With bike tire tubes.
(b) With train parts.
(c) With old rubber scraps.
(d) With bands off of cars.
2. How is Keita cut in "Chapter 18"?
(a) By barbed wire.
(b) By another prisoner's knife.
(c) While carving.
(d) While shaving.
3. Who does Lahbib ask to his meeting in "Epilogue"?
(a) Union leadership.
(b) Union workers.
(c) Union leadership and French management.
(d) French management.
4. What does Bakayoko do after Penda announces her plan to march to Dakar?
(a) He tells her to put the plan in writing.
(b) He takes her to the union offices.
(c) He tells her she is wrong.
(d) He has her meet with management.
5. What does the crowd do when they hear the gunshots in "Epilogue"?
(a) They begin to chant.
(b) They sing softly.
(c) They fall silent.
(d) They throw rocks.
6. Why is Isnard's wife shot?
(a) Because she steals from management.
(b) Because she runs outside with a gun.
(c) Because she is robbed.
(d) Because she wants to protect Isnard.
7. In "Chapter 15", what does Dejean tell the Africans the reason is for denying their requests?
(a) Because they are uneducated.
(b) Because they practice polygamy.
(c) Because they are inferior.
(d) Because they are spoiled.
8. In "Chapter 16", what does Boubacar enjoy about the march?
(a) Getting to fight.
(b) Helping Penda.
(c) All the women.
(d) Getting away from Thies.
9. After Penda's death, what does N'Deye Touti accuse her of?
(a) Being a prostitute.
(b) Lying about her age.
(c) Supporting polygamy.
(d) Having sympathy for the French.
10. In "Chapter 15", what does Dejean tell Pierre he will do to Bakayoko?
(a) Challenge him.
(b) Hit him.
(c) Fire him.
(d) Humiliate him.
11. Why does Lahbib call a meeting in "Epilogue"?
(a) To form a newspaper.
(b) To honor Bakayoko.
(c) To start a new union.
(d) To discuss Isnard.
12. How long does the general strike in "Chapter 17" last?
(a) A month.
(b) Five days.
(c) Ten days.
(d) Two months.
13. How does N'Deye Touti feel about being a second wife?
(a) She dislikes it, but would be a second wife for Bakayoko.
(b) She would rather be a third wife for Bakayoko.
(c) She thinks its an honorable title.
(d) She supports it for other people, but not for herself.
14. Who tells Bakayoko that Gorgui has died?
15. Why does Keita face east during his exercise break in "Chapter 18"?
(a) To try to see out a crack in the wall.
(b) To pray.
(c) He faces west.
(d) To watch the sun rise.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 14", how do the French refer to the Africans?
2. What makes Bakayoko's plan to go with the women in "Chapter 16" difficult?
3. How does Bakayoko learn that Beugosse switched sides to stand with the French?
4. What role does Edouard play in the strike?
5. Who does Bakayoko visit first when he returns?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)