|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Chapter 18", what does N'Deye Touti want to know about Bakayoko?
(a) When he will get a new job.
(b) When he will propose to her.
(c) When he will return to Dakar.
(d) Where his family lives.
2. What does N'Deye Touti do to show her support for the compound after Bakayoko leaves in "Chapter 17"?
(a) She burns her notebooks.
(b) She builts a new hut by herself.
(c) She barters at the market.
(d) She finds a military to protect them.
3. Why does Penda believe the women should march to Dakar?
(a) To find a better place to live.
(b) To show their support.
(c) To rally more union workers.
(d) To avoid going to jail.
4. In "Chapter 15", what does Bakayoko tell Dejean his group's feelings toward the French are?
(a) That they don't care about the French either way.
(b) That they are not anti-French.
(c) That they are anti-French.
(d) That they respectful of the French.
5. Who does Lahbib ask to his meeting in "Epilogue"?
(a) Union leadership and French management.
(b) Union workers.
(c) Union leadership.
(d) French management.
6. Why does Bakayoko refuse to go to Doudou's funeral?
(a) Because he has to go to Sudan.
(b) Because he dislikes Doudou.
(c) Because he will be with N'Deye Touti.
(d) Because he wants to spend time alone.
7. Who tells Bakayoko that Gorgui has died?
8. In "Chapter 17", what do the business owners want to do regarding the strike?
(a) Give the strikers money.
(b) Take control of the trains.
(c) Avoid working with management.
(d) Control the strikers.
9. In "Epilogue", how are the women described after the strike?
10. Why does Edouard leave during the meeting in "Chapter 15"?
(a) Because he is late for another meeting.
(b) Because he is angry.
(c) Because he is in the wrong meeting.
(d) Because he is sad.
11. How does the narrator describe Pierrot when he first appears in "Chapter 14"?
12. Why does Keita face east during his exercise break in "Chapter 18"?
(a) He faces west.
(b) To watch the sun rise.
(c) To pray.
(d) To try to see out a crack in the wall.
13. In "Epilogue", what do the strikers do when they first return to work?
(a) They try to get their wives jobs, too.
(b) They refuse to work.
(c) They have celebrations at the end of the day.
(d) They work harder than usual.
14. What does Bakayoko do after Penda announces her plan to march to Dakar?
(a) He tells her she is wrong.
(b) He tells her to put the plan in writing.
(c) He takes her to the union offices.
(d) He has her meet with management.
15. What does N'Deye Touti call Bakayoko when he leaves in "Chapter 17"?
(a) A brother.
(b) A friend.
(c) A cow.
(d) A pig.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bakayoko learn that Beugosse switched sides to stand with the French?
2. On what day does the march to Dakar become complicated?
3. What makes Bakayoko's plan to go with the women in "Chapter 16" difficult?
4. How do the French feel about Pierrot wanting to get to know the Africans better?
5. Why does Isnard believe Pierre has sided with the Africans?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)