|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Chapter 15", what does Dejean tell Pierre he will do to Bakayoko?
(a) Fire him.
(b) Hit him.
(c) Challenge him.
(d) Humiliate him.
2. How does Lahbib calm down Bakayoko when he learns of Gorgui's death?
(a) He sends Bakayoko on a walk.
(b) He holds Bakayoko's hand.
(c) He gives Bakayoko a drink.
(d) He promises a proper burial.
3. On what day does the march to Dakar become complicated?
(a) The first day.
(b) The second day.
(c) The third day.
(d) The fourth day.
4. Who does Keita stay with in prison in "Chapter 18"?
(d) Violent criminals.
5. In "Chapter 17", what does Bakayoko tell Alioune to tell the people?
(a) That they should yell.
(b) That they are powerful.
(c) That they need a better education.
(d) That they should run away.
6. Why do the Frenchmen visit with Isnard in "Chapter 14"?
(a) Because he wants to invest with them.
(b) Because he has a dinner party.
(c) Because he is in legal trouble.
(d) Because it is a holiday.
7. How is Keita cut in "Chapter 18"?
(a) By another prisoner's knife.
(b) While carving.
(c) By barbed wire.
(d) While shaving.
8. Why is Isnard described as being resentful in "Epilogue"?
(a) Because he wants to be honored.
(b) Because he knows about his wife's affair.
(c) Because he was overlooked for a raise.
(d) Because he doesn't want to lose his job.
9. How does the narrator describe Pierrot when he first appears in "Chapter 14"?
10. Why do the workers protest in "Epilogue"?
(a) They want Isnard promoted.
(b) They want Isnard removed.
(c) They want a safer working environment.
(d) They want a raise.
11. Where do Bakayoko and N'Deye Touti meet in "Chapter 18"?
(a) N'Deye Touti's house.
(b) The shore.
(c) The union offices.
(d) The market.
12. When are the apprentices shot?
(a) When they are trying to shoot lizards.
(b) As they sleep.
(c) The day before they plan to rob a store.
(d) After shooting out a window.
13. What does N'Deye Touti do to show her support for the compound after Bakayoko leaves in "Chapter 17"?
(a) She finds a military to protect them.
(b) She burns her notebooks.
(c) She barters at the market.
(d) She builts a new hut by herself.
14. Why does Isnard believe Pierre has sided with the Africans?
(a) Because Pierre speaks their language.
(b) Because Pierre wants him to resign.
(c) Because Pierre dresses like they do.
(d) He doesn't think Pierre has sided with the Africans.
15. What does Bakayoko do after Penda announces her plan to march to Dakar?
(a) He has her meet with management.
(b) He takes her to the union offices.
(c) He tells her she is wrong.
(d) He tells her to put the plan in writing.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the strike, what do many of the women do?
2. In "Chapter 16", who do Bakayoko and Lahbib talk to first?
3. Why is Isnard's wife shot?
4. Who tells Bakayoko that Gorgui has died?
5. What do the women do when Bakayoko returns?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)