|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Alioune think Beugosse left the union?
(a) Because he didn't get a promotion.
(b) Because of a women.
(c) Because of what management did to him.
(d) Because he disliked the strike.
2. Why does Isnard believe Pierre has sided with the Africans?
(a) Because Pierre wants him to resign.
(b) Because Pierre dresses like they do.
(c) Because Pierre speaks their language.
(d) He doesn't think Pierre has sided with the Africans.
3. What do the women do when Bakayoko returns?
(a) They cook a large meal.
(b) They start a bonfire.
(c) They stay inside their homes.
(d) They gather in the streets.
4. On what day does the march to Dakar become complicated?
(a) The second day.
(b) The fourth day.
(c) The third day.
(d) The first day.
5. How does the narrator describe Pierrot when he first appears in "Chapter 14"?
6. Why does Keita face east during his exercise break in "Chapter 18"?
(a) He faces west.
(b) To watch the sun rise.
(c) To pray.
(d) To try to see out a crack in the wall.
7. In "Chapter 16", who do Bakayoko and Lahbib talk to first?
(a) Bakayoko's sister.
(b) A member of the management team.
(c) A police officer.
(d) A group of women.
8. Why do the workers protest in "Epilogue"?
(a) They want a safer working environment.
(b) They want Isnard promoted.
(c) They want Isnard removed.
(d) They want a raise.
9. Why do the Frenchmen visit with Isnard in "Chapter 14"?
(a) Because he is in legal trouble.
(b) Because he wants to invest with them.
(c) Because it is a holiday.
(d) Because he has a dinner party.
10. In "Epilogue", how are the women described after the strike?
11. In "Chapter 14", how do the French refer to the Africans?
(a) As children.
(b) As workers.
(c) As a game.
(d) As a waste.
12. How is Keita cut in "Chapter 18"?
(a) While shaving.
(b) By barbed wire.
(c) While carving.
(d) By another prisoner's knife.
13. Who does Keita stay with in prison in "Chapter 18"?
(a) Violent criminals.
14. What is the first thing the apprentices steal using their sling shots?
15. How long does the general strike in "Chapter 17" last?
(a) A month.
(b) Five days.
(c) Ten days.
(d) Two months.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bakayoko visit first when he returns?
2. How do the apprentices first treat the strike?
3. Why is Isnard's wife shot?
4. In "Chapter 15", what does Dejean tell the Africans the reason is for denying their requests?
5. Why is Isnard described as being resentful in "Epilogue"?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)