|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Bakayoko and N'Deye Touti meet in "Chapter 18"?
(a) The shore.
(b) The union offices.
(c) The market.
(d) N'Deye Touti's house.
2. Why does Bakayoko encourage a general strike in "Chapter 17"?
(a) Because the crowd believes in it.
(b) Because N'Daye Touti wanted him to.
(c) Because he wasn't sure what else to say.
(d) Because he thinks it will work.
3. How do the apprentices test their sling shots?
(a) They shoot each other.
(b) They have a child try to use them.
(c) They try to break up a fight with them.
(d) They aim at birds.
4. In "Chapter 15", what does Dejean tell the Africans the reason is for denying their requests?
(a) Because they practice polygamy.
(b) Because they are spoiled.
(c) Because they are inferior.
(d) Because they are uneducated.
5. What makes Bakayoko decide to return home in "Chapter 17"?
(a) Talking with N'Deye Touti.
(b) Watching an eagle hunt.
(c) Losing his tobacco in the wind.
(d) A letter from Penda before her death.
6. In "Epilogue", what do the strikers do when they first return to work?
(a) They have celebrations at the end of the day.
(b) They refuse to work.
(c) They work harder than usual.
(d) They try to get their wives jobs, too.
7. How do the apprentices first treat the strike?
(a) Like a problem.
(b) Like a joke.
(c) Like an adventure.
(d) Like a vacation.
8. Why does Keita face east during his exercise break in "Chapter 18"?
(a) He faces west.
(b) To pray.
(c) To watch the sun rise.
(d) To try to see out a crack in the wall.
9. What does Bakayoko do after speaking in "Chapter 17"?
(a) He apologizes.
(b) He shakes hands with management.
(c) He cries.
(d) He jumps into the crowd.
10. Who tells Bakayoko that Gorgui has died?
11. What does N'Deye Touti call Bakayoko when he leaves in "Chapter 17"?
(a) A friend.
(b) A pig.
(c) A cow.
(d) A brother.
12. As the strike continues, how do the apprentices feel about it?
(a) They consider moving away.
(b) They care about the management's position.
(c) They become bored with it.
(d) They start to worry more.
13. Why does Isnard believe Pierre has sided with the Africans?
(a) Because Pierre speaks their language.
(b) Because Pierre wants him to resign.
(c) Because Pierre dresses like they do.
(d) He doesn't think Pierre has sided with the Africans.
14. In "Chapter 18", what does N'Deye Touti want to know about Bakayoko?
(a) When he will propose to her.
(b) When he will return to Dakar.
(c) When he will get a new job.
(d) Where his family lives.
15. How do the French feel about Pierrot wanting to get to know the Africans better?
(a) They think it's just a joke.
(b) They think he's very kind.
(c) They think he's brave.
(d) They think it's foolish.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 15", what does Dejean tell Pierre he will do to Bakayoko?
2. When are the apprentices shot?
3. What makes Bakayoko's plan to go with the women in "Chapter 16" difficult?
4. Why do the French meet with N'Daye Touti in "Chapter 17"?
5. In "Chapter 17", what do the business owners want to do regarding the strike?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)