|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the strike continues, how do the apprentices feel about it?
(a) They start to worry more.
(b) They care about the management's position.
(c) They become bored with it.
(d) They consider moving away.
2. After the apprentices are shot, how do the people in town feel?
3. In "Chapter 16", what does Boubacar enjoy about the march?
(a) Getting to fight.
(b) All the women.
(c) Helping Penda.
(d) Getting away from Thies.
4. Who wants the apprentices to steal rice?
5. In "Chapter 18", what does N'Deye Touti want to know about Bakayoko?
(a) When he will get a new job.
(b) When he will propose to her.
(c) Where his family lives.
(d) When he will return to Dakar.
6. What role does Edouard play in the strike?
(a) He is a union negotiator.
(b) He is a French dignitary.
(c) He is a management representative.
(d) He is an African politician.
7. How long does the general strike in "Chapter 17" last?
(a) Ten days.
(b) Five days.
(c) Two months.
(d) A month.
8. How does Lahbib calm down Bakayoko when he learns of Gorgui's death?
(a) He gives Bakayoko a drink.
(b) He sends Bakayoko on a walk.
(c) He holds Bakayoko's hand.
(d) He promises a proper burial.
9. How do the people at the union office react when Bakayoko arrives?
(a) They cry.
(b) They ignore him.
(c) They begin a fight.
(d) They celebrate.
10. On what day does the march to Dakar become complicated?
(a) The third day.
(b) The first day.
(c) The fourth day.
(d) The second day.
11. What does Bakayoko do after speaking in "Chapter 17"?
(a) He jumps into the crowd.
(b) He shakes hands with management.
(c) He apologizes.
(d) He cries.
12. What does the narrator say is the "swan song" of N'Deye Touti's youth?
(a) An etching she carries in her pocket.
(b) A poem she wrote.
(c) A letter from Bakayoko.
(d) A song she sings at night.
13. In "Chapter 17", what does Bakayoko tell Alioune to tell the people?
(a) That they should run away.
(b) That they are powerful.
(c) That they need a better education.
(d) That they should yell.
14. How is Keita cut in "Chapter 18"?
(a) By barbed wire.
(b) While shaving.
(c) While carving.
(d) By another prisoner's knife.
15. Why is Isnard's wife shot?
(a) Because she is robbed.
(b) Because she wants to protect Isnard.
(c) Because she runs outside with a gun.
(d) Because she steals from management.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Keita face east during his exercise break in "Chapter 18"?
2. Who criticizes Bakayoko when he leaves for Dakar in "Chapter 16"?
3. Why does Alioune think Beugosse left the union?
4. Who does Lahbib ask to his meeting in "Epilogue"?
5. Why do Bakayoko and Lahbib step outside in "Chapter 16"?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)