|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the people of Dakar have a difficult time understanding the speeches in "Chapter 17"?
(a) The French are yelling too loudly.
(b) There isn't a microphone.
(c) They are in different languages.
(d) Too many people are talking at once.
2. Who leads the women's march to Dakar?
(a) Penda and Maimouna.
(d) A small group of men.
3. What does N'Deye Touti do to show her support for the compound after Bakayoko leaves in "Chapter 17"?
(a) She builts a new hut by herself.
(b) She burns her notebooks.
(c) She barters at the market.
(d) She finds a military to protect them.
4. In "Chapter 18", what does N'Deye Touti want to know about Bakayoko?
(a) When he will get a new job.
(b) When he will propose to her.
(c) Where his family lives.
(d) When he will return to Dakar.
5. Who does Keita stay with in prison in "Chapter 18"?
(a) Violent criminals.
6. What does N'Deye Touti call Bakayoko when he leaves in "Chapter 17"?
(a) A cow.
(b) A pig.
(c) A friend.
(d) A brother.
7. Why does Alioune think Beugosse left the union?
(a) Because he didn't get a promotion.
(b) Because of a women.
(c) Because of what management did to him.
(d) Because he disliked the strike.
8. How does the narrator describe Pierrot when he first appears in "Chapter 14"?
9. How does Lahbib calm down Bakayoko when he learns of Gorgui's death?
(a) He promises a proper burial.
(b) He holds Bakayoko's hand.
(c) He sends Bakayoko on a walk.
(d) He gives Bakayoko a drink.
10. How do the apprentices first treat the strike?
(a) Like an adventure.
(b) Like a problem.
(c) Like a joke.
(d) Like a vacation.
11. When are the apprentices shot?
(a) The day before they plan to rob a store.
(b) After shooting out a window.
(c) When they are trying to shoot lizards.
(d) As they sleep.
12. Why does Bakayoko refuse to go to Doudou's funeral?
(a) Because he dislikes Doudou.
(b) Because he has to go to Sudan.
(c) Because he will be with N'Deye Touti.
(d) Because he wants to spend time alone.
13. How long does the general strike in "Chapter 17" last?
(a) Two months.
(b) A month.
(c) Five days.
(d) Ten days.
14. Why does Penda believe the women should march to Dakar?
(a) To find a better place to live.
(b) To rally more union workers.
(c) To avoid going to jail.
(d) To show their support.
15. What does the narrator say is the "swan song" of N'Deye Touti's youth?
(a) An etching she carries in her pocket.
(b) A poem she wrote.
(c) A letter from Bakayoko.
(d) A song she sings at night.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does N'Deye Touti feel about being a second wife?
2. In "Chapter 15", what does Dejean tell Pierre he will do to Bakayoko?
3. Why does Edouard leave during the meeting in "Chapter 15"?
4. What makes Bakayoko decide to return home in "Chapter 17"?
5. In "Chapter 17", what does Bakayoko tell Alioune to tell the people?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)