|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Bakayoko arrives in Dakar, how does he feel about the strike?
(a) That he has won it.
(b) That the strike has only begun.
(c) That there is no point to striking any longer.
(d) That the strikers need to be armed.
2. How does Bakayoko learn that Beugosse switched sides to stand with the French?
(a) He reads about it in the newspaper.
(b) He gets a letter from Beugosse.
(c) Alioune tells him about Beugosse.
(d) He sees Beugosse dressed as a Frenchmen.
3. What makes Bakayoko's plan to go with the women in "Chapter 16" difficult?
(a) He wants to try to negotiate with management again.
(b) He is too tired to walk.
(c) He learns about his family's crisis.
(d) He doesn't believe in the women marching.
4. How does N'Deye Touti feel about being a second wife?
(a) She dislikes it, but would be a second wife for Bakayoko.
(b) She supports it for other people, but not for herself.
(c) She thinks its an honorable title.
(d) She would rather be a third wife for Bakayoko.
5. What does the crowd do when they hear the gunshots in "Epilogue"?
(a) They sing softly.
(b) They fall silent.
(c) They throw rocks.
(d) They begin to chant.
6. How do union leaders treat Bakary when Bakayoko returns?
(a) The praise him.
(b) They tease him.
(c) They ignore him.
(d) They blame him.
7. Who does Lahbib ask to his meeting in "Epilogue"?
(a) Union workers.
(b) Union leadership and French management.
(c) Union leadership.
(d) French management.
8. How do the people at the union office react when Bakayoko arrives?
(a) They celebrate.
(b) They begin a fight.
(c) They ignore him.
(d) They cry.
9. In "Chapter 16", who do Bakayoko and Lahbib talk to first?
(a) Bakayoko's sister.
(b) A member of the management team.
(c) A police officer.
(d) A group of women.
10. Why does Bakayoko refuse to go to Doudou's funeral?
(a) Because he will be with N'Deye Touti.
(b) Because he wants to spend time alone.
(c) Because he dislikes Doudou.
(d) Because he has to go to Sudan.
11. After Penda's death, what does N'Deye Touti accuse her of?
(a) Lying about her age.
(b) Being a prostitute.
(c) Supporting polygamy.
(d) Having sympathy for the French.
12. How does Lahbib calm down Bakayoko when he learns of Gorgui's death?
(a) He gives Bakayoko a drink.
(b) He sends Bakayoko on a walk.
(c) He holds Bakayoko's hand.
(d) He promises a proper burial.
13. In "Epilogue", what do the strikers do when they first return to work?
(a) They try to get their wives jobs, too.
(b) They have celebrations at the end of the day.
(c) They work harder than usual.
(d) They refuse to work.
14. Why does Isnard believe Pierre has sided with the Africans?
(a) Because Pierre speaks their language.
(b) Because Pierre dresses like they do.
(c) Because Pierre wants him to resign.
(d) He doesn't think Pierre has sided with the Africans.
15. What makes Bakayoko decide to return home in "Chapter 17"?
(a) Losing his tobacco in the wind.
(b) A letter from Penda before her death.
(c) Talking with N'Deye Touti.
(d) Watching an eagle hunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bakayoko visit first when he returns?
2. Why does Lahbib call a meeting in "Epilogue"?
3. Where do Bakayoko and N'Deye Touti meet in "Chapter 18"?
4. What does Maimouna do at the end of "Epilogue"?
5. How do the French feel about Pierrot wanting to get to know the Africans better?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)