|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does the general strike in "Chapter 17" last?
(a) Five days.
(b) A month.
(c) Two months.
(d) Ten days.
2. Who does Keita stay with in prison in "Chapter 18"?
(c) Violent criminals.
3. In Dakar, how are the marchers greeted by the residents?
(a) With gunfire.
(b) With a celebration.
(c) They aren't greeted.
(d) With fear.
4. On what day does the march to Dakar become complicated?
(a) The first day.
(b) The second day.
(c) The fourth day.
(d) The third day.
5. In "Epilogue", what do the strikers do when they first return to work?
(a) They have celebrations at the end of the day.
(b) They try to get their wives jobs, too.
(c) They refuse to work.
(d) They work harder than usual.
6. Why do the French meet with N'Daye Touti in "Chapter 17"?
(a) To get information about Bakayoko.
(b) To discuss her love life.
(c) To tease her in public.
(d) To get her on their side.
7. In "Chapter 17", what do the business owners want to do regarding the strike?
(a) Avoid working with management.
(b) Control the strikers.
(c) Take control of the trains.
(d) Give the strikers money.
8. Why do the workers protest in "Epilogue"?
(a) They want Isnard promoted.
(b) They want a raise.
(c) They want Isnard removed.
(d) They want a safer working environment.
9. After Beugosse leaves the union, what does Bakayoko say about him?
(a) He says nothing about Beugosse.
(b) That Beugosse was a hard worker.
(c) That Beugosse ruined the union's morale.
(d) That he never got along with Beugosse.
10. Why do Bakayoko and Lahbib step outside in "Chapter 16"?
(a) To get some fresh air.
(b) To help the group of women.
(c) To talk about the negotiations.
(d) To find new jobs.
11. Why is Isnard's wife shot?
(a) Because she wants to protect Isnard.
(b) Because she steals from management.
(c) Because she is robbed.
(d) Because she runs outside with a gun.
12. How does the narrator describe Pierrot when he first appears in "Chapter 14"?
13. How does Pierre feel about Bakayoko's return?
(a) He is excited.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is angry.
(d) He is nervous.
14. After the strike, what do many of the women do?
(a) Question the government.
(b) Open up shops in the market.
(c) Begin going to school.
(d) Maintain their new power.
15. Why does Lahbib call a meeting in "Epilogue"?
(a) To start a new union.
(b) To honor Bakayoko.
(c) To discuss Isnard.
(d) To form a newspaper.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 16", how does the crowd respond to the plan to march to Dakar?
2. Why do the Frenchmen visit with Isnard in "Chapter 14"?
3. After Penda's death, what does N'Deye Touti accuse her of?
4. How do the apprentices make their sling shots?
5. Why does Isnard believe Pierre has sided with the Africans?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)