|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Penda believe the women should march to Dakar?
(a) To avoid going to jail.
(b) To find a better place to live.
(c) To show their support.
(d) To rally more union workers.
2. What does the narrator say is the "swan song" of N'Deye Touti's youth?
(a) An etching she carries in her pocket.
(b) A song she sings at night.
(c) A letter from Bakayoko.
(d) A poem she wrote.
3. How does Lahbib calm down Bakayoko when he learns of Gorgui's death?
(a) He promises a proper burial.
(b) He sends Bakayoko on a walk.
(c) He gives Bakayoko a drink.
(d) He holds Bakayoko's hand.
4. How do the apprentices make their sling shots?
(a) With train parts.
(b) With bike tire tubes.
(c) With bands off of cars.
(d) With old rubber scraps.
5. When Bakayoko arrives in Dakar, how does he feel about the strike?
(a) That the strikers need to be armed.
(b) That he has won it.
(c) That the strike has only begun.
(d) That there is no point to striking any longer.
6. How do the French feel about Pierrot wanting to get to know the Africans better?
(a) They think it's just a joke.
(b) They think it's foolish.
(c) They think he's brave.
(d) They think he's very kind.
7. After Penda's death, what does N'Deye Touti accuse her of?
(a) Having sympathy for the French.
(b) Being a prostitute.
(c) Supporting polygamy.
(d) Lying about her age.
8. Why does Isnard believe Pierre has sided with the Africans?
(a) Because Pierre dresses like they do.
(b) He doesn't think Pierre has sided with the Africans.
(c) Because Pierre wants him to resign.
(d) Because Pierre speaks their language.
9. How do the apprentices first treat the strike?
(a) Like a vacation.
(b) Like an adventure.
(c) Like a joke.
(d) Like a problem.
10. In "Chapter 17", what do the business owners want to do regarding the strike?
(a) Control the strikers.
(b) Take control of the trains.
(c) Avoid working with management.
(d) Give the strikers money.
11. Why does Bakayoko encourage a general strike in "Chapter 17"?
(a) Because the crowd believes in it.
(b) Because N'Daye Touti wanted him to.
(c) Because he thinks it will work.
(d) Because he wasn't sure what else to say.
12. What makes Bakayoko's plan to go with the women in "Chapter 16" difficult?
(a) He doesn't believe in the women marching.
(b) He is too tired to walk.
(c) He learns about his family's crisis.
(d) He wants to try to negotiate with management again.
13. Who tells Bakayoko that Gorgui has died?
14. After Beugosse leaves the union, what does Bakayoko say about him?
(a) That Beugosse was a hard worker.
(b) That he never got along with Beugosse.
(c) That Beugosse ruined the union's morale.
(d) He says nothing about Beugosse.
15. Why does Alioune think Beugosse left the union?
(a) Because he disliked the strike.
(b) Because he didn't get a promotion.
(c) Because of what management did to him.
(d) Because of a women.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the people at the union office react when Bakayoko arrives?
2. Why is Isnard's wife shot?
3. In "Chapter 15", what does Dejean tell Pierre he will do to Bakayoko?
4. What does N'Deye Touti do to show her support for the compound after Bakayoko leaves in "Chapter 17"?
5. Who wants the apprentices to steal rice?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)