|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Epilogue", what do the strikers do when they first return to work?
(a) They try to get their wives jobs, too.
(b) They refuse to work.
(c) They work harder than usual.
(d) They have celebrations at the end of the day.
2. Who wants the apprentices to steal rice?
3. Why does Bakayoko encourage a general strike in "Chapter 17"?
(a) Because he thinks it will work.
(b) Because the crowd believes in it.
(c) Because he wasn't sure what else to say.
(d) Because N'Daye Touti wanted him to.
4. How do the apprentices first treat the strike?
(a) Like a vacation.
(b) Like a joke.
(c) Like an adventure.
(d) Like a problem.
5. What do the women do when Bakayoko returns?
(a) They start a bonfire.
(b) They stay inside their homes.
(c) They cook a large meal.
(d) They gather in the streets.
6. In "Chapter 15", what does Dejean tell Pierre he will do to Bakayoko?
(a) Hit him.
(b) Humiliate him.
(c) Challenge him.
(d) Fire him.
7. After Penda's death, what does N'Deye Touti accuse her of?
(a) Supporting polygamy.
(b) Having sympathy for the French.
(c) Lying about her age.
(d) Being a prostitute.
8. How does Pierre feel about Bakayoko's return?
(a) He is confused.
(b) He is excited.
(c) He is nervous.
(d) He is angry.
9. Who criticizes Bakayoko when he leaves for Dakar in "Chapter 16"?
10. What does the narrator say is the "swan song" of N'Deye Touti's youth?
(a) A song she sings at night.
(b) A letter from Bakayoko.
(c) An etching she carries in her pocket.
(d) A poem she wrote.
11. Who leads the women's march to Dakar?
(a) Penda and Maimouna.
(b) A small group of men.
12. Why do the Frenchmen visit with Isnard in "Chapter 14"?
(a) Because he wants to invest with them.
(b) Because he is in legal trouble.
(c) Because it is a holiday.
(d) Because he has a dinner party.
13. Who does Lahbib ask to his meeting in "Epilogue"?
(a) Union leadership.
(b) French management.
(c) Union workers.
(d) Union leadership and French management.
14. What makes Bakayoko's plan to go with the women in "Chapter 16" difficult?
(a) He doesn't believe in the women marching.
(b) He wants to try to negotiate with management again.
(c) He learns about his family's crisis.
(d) He is too tired to walk.
15. Why does Penda believe the women should march to Dakar?
(a) To find a better place to live.
(b) To show their support.
(c) To rally more union workers.
(d) To avoid going to jail.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the people of Dakar have a difficult time understanding the speeches in "Chapter 17"?
2. How does Lahbib calm down Bakayoko when he learns of Gorgui's death?
3. How do the people at the union office react when Bakayoko arrives?
4. Who tells Bakayoko that Gorgui has died?
5. In "Chapter 15", what does Dejean tell the Africans the reason is for denying their requests?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)