|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Isnard's wife shot?
(a) Because she wants to protect Isnard.
(b) Because she is robbed.
(c) Because she runs outside with a gun.
(d) Because she steals from management.
2. Why do the French meet with N'Daye Touti in "Chapter 17"?
(a) To get information about Bakayoko.
(b) To discuss her love life.
(c) To tease her in public.
(d) To get her on their side.
3. In "Chapter 17", what does Bakayoko tell Alioune to tell the people?
(a) That they should run away.
(b) That they need a better education.
(c) That they should yell.
(d) That they are powerful.
4. Why does Bakayoko refuse to go to Doudou's funeral?
(a) Because he dislikes Doudou.
(b) Because he has to go to Sudan.
(c) Because he will be with N'Deye Touti.
(d) Because he wants to spend time alone.
5. Why do the Frenchmen visit with Isnard in "Chapter 14"?
(a) Because he is in legal trouble.
(b) Because he wants to invest with them.
(c) Because it is a holiday.
(d) Because he has a dinner party.
6. How do union leaders treat Bakary when Bakayoko returns?
(a) They tease him.
(b) They blame him.
(c) The praise him.
(d) They ignore him.
7. What is the first thing the apprentices steal using their sling shots?
8. What makes Bakayoko decide to return home in "Chapter 17"?
(a) Talking with N'Deye Touti.
(b) Losing his tobacco in the wind.
(c) A letter from Penda before her death.
(d) Watching an eagle hunt.
9. How does Lahbib calm down Bakayoko when he learns of Gorgui's death?
(a) He holds Bakayoko's hand.
(b) He promises a proper burial.
(c) He gives Bakayoko a drink.
(d) He sends Bakayoko on a walk.
10. Why do Bakayoko and Lahbib step outside in "Chapter 16"?
(a) To get some fresh air.
(b) To find new jobs.
(c) To help the group of women.
(d) To talk about the negotiations.
11. How long does the general strike in "Chapter 17" last?
(a) Five days.
(b) Ten days.
(c) Two months.
(d) A month.
12. How is Keita cut in "Chapter 18"?
(a) While carving.
(b) While shaving.
(c) By another prisoner's knife.
(d) By barbed wire.
13. In "Epilogue", what do the strikers do when they first return to work?
(a) They have celebrations at the end of the day.
(b) They refuse to work.
(c) They try to get their wives jobs, too.
(d) They work harder than usual.
14. Why does Lahbib call a meeting in "Epilogue"?
(a) To form a newspaper.
(b) To discuss Isnard.
(c) To honor Bakayoko.
(d) To start a new union.
15. In "Chapter 16", how does the crowd respond to the plan to march to Dakar?
(a) They are angry.
(b) They are saddened.
(c) They laugh.
(d) They are surprised.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Epilogue", how are the women described after the strike?
2. What role does Edouard play in the strike?
3. Why is Isnard described as being resentful in "Epilogue"?
4. Where do the women decide to march to in "Epilogue"?
5. Who wants the apprentices to steal rice?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)