|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Bakayoko encourage a general strike in "Chapter 17"?
(a) Because the crowd believes in it.
(b) Because he thinks it will work.
(c) Because N'Daye Touti wanted him to.
(d) Because he wasn't sure what else to say.
2. Who does Keita stay with in prison in "Chapter 18"?
(b) Violent criminals.
3. Who wants the apprentices to steal rice?
4. Why do the Frenchmen visit with Isnard in "Chapter 14"?
(a) Because he is in legal trouble.
(b) Because he wants to invest with them.
(c) Because it is a holiday.
(d) Because he has a dinner party.
5. Why do the people of Dakar have a difficult time understanding the speeches in "Chapter 17"?
(a) There isn't a microphone.
(b) They are in different languages.
(c) The French are yelling too loudly.
(d) Too many people are talking at once.
6. How long does the general strike in "Chapter 17" last?
(a) Ten days.
(b) A month.
(c) Two months.
(d) Five days.
7. In "Chapter 17", what does Bakayoko tell Alioune to tell the people?
(a) That they should yell.
(b) That they need a better education.
(c) That they should run away.
(d) That they are powerful.
8. What role does Edouard play in the strike?
(a) He is a management representative.
(b) He is an African politician.
(c) He is a French dignitary.
(d) He is a union negotiator.
9. In Dakar, how are the marchers greeted by the residents?
(a) With fear.
(b) With gunfire.
(c) With a celebration.
(d) They aren't greeted.
10. On what day does the march to Dakar become complicated?
(a) The third day.
(b) The first day.
(c) The second day.
(d) The fourth day.
11. Why do Bakayoko and Lahbib step outside in "Chapter 16"?
(a) To find new jobs.
(b) To help the group of women.
(c) To talk about the negotiations.
(d) To get some fresh air.
12. What makes Bakayoko's plan to go with the women in "Chapter 16" difficult?
(a) He doesn't believe in the women marching.
(b) He is too tired to walk.
(c) He learns about his family's crisis.
(d) He wants to try to negotiate with management again.
13. Why is Isnard's wife shot?
(a) Because she runs outside with a gun.
(b) Because she is robbed.
(c) Because she steals from management.
(d) Because she wants to protect Isnard.
14. How do the apprentices test their sling shots?
(a) They aim at birds.
(b) They shoot each other.
(c) They try to break up a fight with them.
(d) They have a child try to use them.
15. Who does Lahbib ask to his meeting in "Epilogue"?
(a) Union leadership and French management.
(b) Union leadership.
(c) Union workers.
(d) French management.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bakayoko do after Penda announces her plan to march to Dakar?
2. In "Chapter 17", what do the business owners want to do regarding the strike?
3. As the strike continues, how do the apprentices feel about it?
4. What makes Bakayoko decide to return home in "Chapter 17"?
5. Why is Isnard described as being resentful in "Epilogue"?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)