|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Penda's death, what does N'Deye Touti accuse her of?
(a) Being a prostitute.
(b) Lying about her age.
(c) Supporting polygamy.
(d) Having sympathy for the French.
2. Why do the people of Dakar have a difficult time understanding the speeches in "Chapter 17"?
(a) The French are yelling too loudly.
(b) There isn't a microphone.
(c) Too many people are talking at once.
(d) They are in different languages.
3. Why do Bakayoko and Lahbib step outside in "Chapter 16"?
(a) To help the group of women.
(b) To get some fresh air.
(c) To find new jobs.
(d) To talk about the negotiations.
4. What does Bakayoko do after speaking in "Chapter 17"?
(a) He shakes hands with management.
(b) He jumps into the crowd.
(c) He cries.
(d) He apologizes.
5. What makes Bakayoko decide to return home in "Chapter 17"?
(a) Losing his tobacco in the wind.
(b) A letter from Penda before her death.
(c) Talking with N'Deye Touti.
(d) Watching an eagle hunt.
6. Why is Isnard's wife shot?
(a) Because she steals from management.
(b) Because she runs outside with a gun.
(c) Because she wants to protect Isnard.
(d) Because she is robbed.
7. In "Epilogue", how are the women described after the strike?
8. What role does Edouard play in the strike?
(a) He is a French dignitary.
(b) He is an African politician.
(c) He is a union negotiator.
(d) He is a management representative.
9. Why does Alioune think Beugosse left the union?
(a) Because he disliked the strike.
(b) Because he didn't get a promotion.
(c) Because of what management did to him.
(d) Because of a women.
10. Why is Isnard described as being resentful in "Epilogue"?
(a) Because he knows about his wife's affair.
(b) Because he doesn't want to lose his job.
(c) Because he wants to be honored.
(d) Because he was overlooked for a raise.
11. What does the narrator say is the "swan song" of N'Deye Touti's youth?
(a) An etching she carries in her pocket.
(b) A letter from Bakayoko.
(c) A song she sings at night.
(d) A poem she wrote.
12. Why do the French meet with N'Daye Touti in "Chapter 17"?
(a) To get information about Bakayoko.
(b) To discuss her love life.
(c) To tease her in public.
(d) To get her on their side.
13. Who leads the women's march to Dakar?
(b) Penda and Maimouna.
(d) A small group of men.
14. In "Chapter 15", what does Dejean tell the Africans the reason is for denying their requests?
(a) Because they practice polygamy.
(b) Because they are spoiled.
(c) Because they are uneducated.
(d) Because they are inferior.
15. How do the people at the union office react when Bakayoko arrives?
(a) They begin a fight.
(b) They celebrate.
(c) They cry.
(d) They ignore him.
Short Answer Questions
1. When are the apprentices shot?
2. How does Pierre feel about Bakayoko's return?
3. In "Epilogue", what do the strikers do when they first return to work?
4. How does N'Deye Touti feel about being a second wife?
5. How does Lahbib calm down Bakayoko when he learns of Gorgui's death?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)