|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the crowd do when they hear the gunshots in "Epilogue"?
(a) They throw rocks.
(b) They begin to chant.
(c) They fall silent.
(d) They sing softly.
2. How do the apprentices first treat the strike?
(a) Like a problem.
(b) Like a vacation.
(c) Like a joke.
(d) Like an adventure.
3. Who does Lahbib ask to his meeting in "Epilogue"?
(a) Union workers.
(b) French management.
(c) Union leadership and French management.
(d) Union leadership.
4. What does N'Deye Touti do to show her support for the compound after Bakayoko leaves in "Chapter 17"?
(a) She burns her notebooks.
(b) She barters at the market.
(c) She builts a new hut by herself.
(d) She finds a military to protect them.
5. Why do Bakayoko and Lahbib step outside in "Chapter 16"?
(a) To find new jobs.
(b) To talk about the negotiations.
(c) To help the group of women.
(d) To get some fresh air.
6. Why does Isnard believe Pierre has sided with the Africans?
(a) Because Pierre wants him to resign.
(b) He doesn't think Pierre has sided with the Africans.
(c) Because Pierre dresses like they do.
(d) Because Pierre speaks their language.
7. Why does Bakayoko encourage a general strike in "Chapter 17"?
(a) Because he thinks it will work.
(b) Because he wasn't sure what else to say.
(c) Because the crowd believes in it.
(d) Because N'Daye Touti wanted him to.
8. How does the narrator describe Pierrot when he first appears in "Chapter 14"?
9. What does Maimouna do at the end of "Epilogue"?
(a) She goes to sleep.
(b) She carries a child.
(c) She sings.
(d) She buries a body.
10. Why does Penda believe the women should march to Dakar?
(a) To show their support.
(b) To find a better place to live.
(c) To rally more union workers.
(d) To avoid going to jail.
11. When Bakayoko arrives in Dakar, how does he feel about the strike?
(a) That the strikers need to be armed.
(b) That he has won it.
(c) That there is no point to striking any longer.
(d) That the strike has only begun.
12. In "Epilogue", how are the women described after the strike?
13. How do the apprentices test their sling shots?
(a) They shoot each other.
(b) They aim at birds.
(c) They try to break up a fight with them.
(d) They have a child try to use them.
14. When are the apprentices shot?
(a) The day before they plan to rob a store.
(b) When they are trying to shoot lizards.
(c) As they sleep.
(d) After shooting out a window.
15. After Penda's death, what does N'Deye Touti accuse her of?
(a) Having sympathy for the French.
(b) Supporting polygamy.
(c) Lying about her age.
(d) Being a prostitute.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Keita face east during his exercise break in "Chapter 18"?
2. How do the apprentices make their sling shots?
3. What makes Bakayoko's plan to go with the women in "Chapter 16" difficult?
4. Why do the people of Dakar have a difficult time understanding the speeches in "Chapter 17"?
5. How does Pierre feel about Bakayoko's return?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)