|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Chapter 16", who do Bakayoko and Lahbib talk to first?
(a) Bakayoko's sister.
(b) A police officer.
(c) A member of the management team.
(d) A group of women.
2. What does Maimouna do at the end of "Epilogue"?
(a) She goes to sleep.
(b) She carries a child.
(c) She buries a body.
(d) She sings.
3. In "Chapter 17", what does Bakayoko tell Alioune to tell the people?
(a) That they need a better education.
(b) That they should yell.
(c) That they should run away.
(d) That they are powerful.
4. Why do the people of Dakar have a difficult time understanding the speeches in "Chapter 17"?
(a) Too many people are talking at once.
(b) They are in different languages.
(c) There isn't a microphone.
(d) The French are yelling too loudly.
5. What role does Edouard play in the strike?
(a) He is a management representative.
(b) He is a union negotiator.
(c) He is a French dignitary.
(d) He is an African politician.
6. In "Chapter 16", how does the crowd respond to the plan to march to Dakar?
(a) They laugh.
(b) They are surprised.
(c) They are saddened.
(d) They are angry.
7. Why does Alioune think Beugosse left the union?
(a) Because of what management did to him.
(b) Because he disliked the strike.
(c) Because of a women.
(d) Because he didn't get a promotion.
8. Why does Keita face east during his exercise break in "Chapter 18"?
(a) To try to see out a crack in the wall.
(b) To watch the sun rise.
(c) To pray.
(d) He faces west.
9. After the apprentices are shot, how do the people in town feel?
10. What makes Bakayoko decide to return home in "Chapter 17"?
(a) Talking with N'Deye Touti.
(b) Watching an eagle hunt.
(c) Losing his tobacco in the wind.
(d) A letter from Penda before her death.
11. How do the apprentices make their sling shots?
(a) With train parts.
(b) With old rubber scraps.
(c) With bands off of cars.
(d) With bike tire tubes.
12. What does the crowd do when they hear the gunshots in "Epilogue"?
(a) They throw rocks.
(b) They sing softly.
(c) They begin to chant.
(d) They fall silent.
13. After Beugosse leaves the union, what does Bakayoko say about him?
(a) That Beugosse ruined the union's morale.
(b) That he never got along with Beugosse.
(c) He says nothing about Beugosse.
(d) That Beugosse was a hard worker.
14. In "Chapter 17", what do the business owners want to do regarding the strike?
(a) Give the strikers money.
(b) Control the strikers.
(c) Avoid working with management.
(d) Take control of the trains.
15. How does Bakayoko learn that Beugosse switched sides to stand with the French?
(a) He reads about it in the newspaper.
(b) Alioune tells him about Beugosse.
(c) He gets a letter from Beugosse.
(d) He sees Beugosse dressed as a Frenchmen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Bakayoko that Gorgui has died?
2. How do the people at the union office react when Bakayoko arrives?
3. How does N'Deye Touti feel about being a second wife?
4. In "Chapter 15", what does Dejean tell the Africans the reason is for denying their requests?
5. In "Chapter 16", what does Boubacar enjoy about the march?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)