|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What angers Niakoro about speaking with Ad'jibid'ji in "Chapter 1"?
(a) Her poor use of grammar.
(b) How she speaks French.
(c) How gossipy she is.
(d) Her short attention span.
2. Who does Mame Sofi try to confront in "Chapter 9"?
(b) The police.
(d) N'Deye Touti.
3. Why does Ramatoulaye decide to go to the police in "Chapter 9"?
(a) Because she feels she has caused enough trouble.
(b) Because she needs their help.
(c) Because she thinks she can trick them.
(d) Because she wants to stop the fighting.
4. Who does the narrator say knows who the father of Maimouna's twins is?
(a) No one knows.
(b) Only her family knows.
(c) Everyone knows.
(d) Samba knows.
5. At the end of "Chapter 3", how much time passes?
(b) One night.
6. Why does Ramatoulaye threaten to kill her brother's pet?
(a) He won't buy clothes for her.
(b) He won't give her a job.
(c) He won't help her get food.
(d) He won't speak to her on the street.
7. In "Chapter 11", what do Penda and Maimouna discuss?
(a) If children are saints.
(b) If men are dogs.
(c) If people are sinners.
(d) If women are warriors.
8. Why is N'Deye Touti described as being "worldly"?
(a) Because of her travels.
(b) Because of all the languages she knows.
(c) Because of the books she has read.
(d) Because her father was an ambassador.
9. Why do the women overturn trucks in "Chapter 9"?
(a) Because one of them dies during a conflict.
(b) Because the trucks are on fire.
(c) Because the trucks are in their way.
(d) Because a truck ran over a child.
10. Why do the women of Thies gather at Dieynaba's?
(a) They all owe her money.
(b) They are inspired by her strength.
(c) They are entertained by her stories.
(d) They enjoy her cooking.
11. Why is Bachirou threatened with violence in "Chapter 2"?
(a) For arriving late.
(b) For speaking French.
(c) For hurting another worker.
(d) For trying to stop the strike.
12. In "Chapter 4", why do the union members tease Beaugosse?
(a) Because of his fear of the strike.
(b) Because of his wife.
(c) Because of his clothing.
(d) Because of the food he eats.
13. What does Keita do when the crowd gets emotional at the strike meeting in "Chapter 1"?
(a) He gets the crowd more worked up.
(b) He calms the crowd down.
(c) He laughs at the people at the meeting.
(d) He leaves the meeting.
14. What was Bakayoko's role before he went missing?
(a) Head engineer.
(b) Union leader.
(c) Local farmer.
(d) School teacher.
15. In "Chapter 3", what does Dejean tell his supervisors?
(a) That they need more support at the factory.
(b) That everything is under control.
(c) That they will negotiate with the union.
(d) That he wants to quit.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the police come for Ramatoulaye in "Chapter 6", what do the other women do?
2. In "Chapter 7", what does Tiemoko learn about beating the union members who return to work?
3. In "Chapter 9", what does Mame Sofi say when she hears N'Deye Touti talking about the confrontation?
4. In "Chapter 1", what does Niakoro remember about the first train-workers' strike?
5. Why does Ramatoulaye argue with a shopkeeper in "Chapter 4"?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)