|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ad'jibid'ji say when Niakoro asks her about what washes the water?
(a) She says she knows the answer but won't share it.
(b) She says it's a stupid question.
(c) She says she doesn't care.
(d) She says she will find the answer.
2. In "Chapter 9", why do the women patrol the streets?
(a) As a show of support for the union.
(b) In response to the attack on the women.
(c) To protect the injured people in town.
(d) They don't patrol the streets.
3. Why is Bachirou threatened with violence in "Chapter 2"?
(a) For trying to stop the strike.
(b) For arriving late.
(c) For hurting another worker.
(d) For speaking French.
4. What does Keita do when the crowd gets emotional at the strike meeting in "Chapter 1"?
(a) He laughs at the people at the meeting.
(b) He leaves the meeting.
(c) He gets the crowd more worked up.
(d) He calms the crowd down.
5. Why does Sounkare visit friends in "Chapter 10"?
(a) To gossip.
(b) To look for someone.
(c) To rally support for the strike.
(d) To find food.
6. How does Diara feel at the end of his trial?
7. Why do the deputies visit with Dejean in "Chapter 3"?
(a) To provide protection.
(b) To ask for jobs.
(c) To question his role in the strike.
(d) To plan an end to the strike.
8. Why does Dejean want to start a rival union?
(a) To try to end the strike.
(b) To try to feel equal.
(c) To make more money.
(d) To have a new job.
9. In "Chapter 3", how does Maimouna make her way out of the marketplace?
(a) By following a fellow seller.
(b) By using a stick to guide her.
(c) She doesn't get out of the marketplace.
(d) With the help of strangers.
10. Why does Penda ask about the father of Maimouna's children?
(a) Because she wants to get to know her better.
(b) Because she heard a rumor.
(c) Penda doesn't talk to Maimouna about her children.
(d) Because she wants to find him.
11. Why are many men angry at Diara's trial?
(a) Because they like Diara.
(b) Because they dislike Diara.
(c) Because there are women there.
(d) Because they want to return to work.
12. In "Chapter 9", where is Beaugosse told to travel?
(a) The river.
(b) Union headquarters.
13. In "Chapter 9", what does Mame Sofi say when she hears N'Deye Touti talking about the confrontation?
(a) She says the women will fight again.
(b) She laughs at the women.
(c) She says everything is just rumors.
(d) She tells N'Deye Touti to stop lying.
14. How does Sounkare die?
(a) From a gunshot.
(b) From disease.
(c) From hitting his head.
(d) From hunger.
15. What does Niakoro resent about Ad'jibid'ji?
(a) Her beauty.
(b) Her house.
(c) Her family life.
(d) Her intelligence.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 11", how does Penda feel about sharing her bed?
2. Why is it suggested that Beaugosse take part in the delegation to meet with Dejean?
3. Where does N'Deye Touti go after leaving the police in "Chapter 9"?
4. In "Chapter 4", why do the women in the cart have food?
5. Who does the narrator say knows who the father of Maimouna's twins is?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)