|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Chapter 1", how do the train workers decide to strike?
(a) The leader decides.
(b) They don't decide anything about the strike.
(c) They take a vote.
(d) The wives of the workers decide.
2. Who takes over the workers jobs when they strike in "Chapter 3"?
(b) People from different villages.
3. What does Tiemoko do when he realizes Diara returned to work?
(a) He tried to return to work, too.
(b) He replaced Diara's job.
(c) He had Diara exiled.
(d) He took Diara to trial.
4. Why do the deputies visit with Dejean in "Chapter 3"?
(a) To ask for jobs.
(b) To provide protection.
(c) To question his role in the strike.
(d) To plan an end to the strike.
5. In "Chapter 12", how does Doudou feel about his position in the union?
(a) He is grateful.
(b) He is happy.
(c) He is unhappy.
(d) He is angry.
6. In "Chapter 7", what does Tiemoko learn about beating the union members who return to work?
(a) The public loves to watch the beatings.
(b) It's less effective than taking them to trial.
(c) It makes him feel bad after.
(d) It works to teach them a lesson.
7. What is Samba's role as a train worker?
(c) Office worker.
8. At the end of "Chapter 7", what does the narrator say has failed?
(a) A chance for peace.
(b) Union negotiations.
(d) The French.
9. When the police come for Ramatoulaye in "Chapter 6", what do the other women do?
(a) Hide in their own houses.
(b) Give the police interviews.
(c) Surround her while holding weapons.
(d) Make the police dinner.
10. Where does N'Deye Touti go after leaving the police in "Chapter 9"?
(a) To the compound.
(b) To Beaugosse's office.
(c) To the river.
(d) To her mother's house.
11. How does Beaugosse feel when he leaves N'Deye Touti in "Chapter 5"?
12. Why is Doudou offered money in "Chapter 12"?
(a) To transport to the capitol.
(b) To get the strikers back to work.
(c) As a raise.
(d) To buy supplies.
13. What was Bakayoko's role before he went missing?
(a) Local farmer.
(b) Union leader.
(c) School teacher.
(d) Head engineer.
14. Who does the Imam think is running the strike?
(a) The French.
(b) The women.
15. In "Chapter 6", where is Beaugosse when he argues about the strike?
(a) Management offices.
(b) Ramatoulaye's house.
(c) The marketplace.
(d) Union offices.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Maimouna's social status described in "Chapter 2"?
2. What does Ramatoulaye's brother keep as a pet?
3. Who does Mame Sofi try to confront in "Chapter 9"?
4. How does Ramatoulaye kill the ram in "Chapter 6"?
5. In "Chapter 6", what does the narrator say people began to talk about when they spoke of the strike?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)