|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Penda related to Dieynaba?
(a) She is Dieynaba's neice.
(b) She is Dieynaba's neighbor.
(c) She is Dieynaba's step-child.
(d) She is Dieynaba's foster child.
2. Why do the women of Thies gather at Dieynaba's?
(a) They are entertained by her stories.
(b) They are inspired by her strength.
(c) They all owe her money.
(d) They enjoy her cooking.
3. Why does Ramatoulaye argue with a shopkeeper in "Chapter 4"?
(a) Because she is denied credit.
(b) Because she doesn't like what the shop is selling.
(c) Because she wants a job.
(d) Because she wants a better price.
4. In "Chapter 2", what do the women sell in the market the striking workers pass?
(a) Ready to eat food.
(b) Books from other countries.
5. What does Ad'jibid'ji first do when she goes to the strike meeting in "Chapter 1"?
(a) She takes photographs.
(b) She sorts through the office mail.
(c) She delivers a package.
(d) She listens to a speech.
6. In "Chapter 7", why do the French soldiers beat Ad'jibid'ji and Niakoro?
(a) They are searching for weapons.
(b) They are looking for Keita.
(c) They are robbing them.
(d) They routinely beat them.
7. Why are many men angry at Diara's trial?
(a) Because they like Diara.
(b) Because they dislike Diara.
(c) Because there are women there.
(d) Because they want to return to work.
8. What does Mame Sofi get along with the water in "Chapter 5"?
(a) A single dollar.
(b) The water pitcher.
(c) A new cart.
(d) Respect of her friends.
9. In "Chapter 1", how do the train workers decide to strike?
(a) The leader decides.
(b) The wives of the workers decide.
(c) They don't decide anything about the strike.
(d) They take a vote.
10. In "Chapter 3", how does Maimouna make her way out of the marketplace?
(a) By following a fellow seller.
(b) By using a stick to guide her.
(c) She doesn't get out of the marketplace.
(d) With the help of strangers.
11. In "Chapter 9", why does the Imam negotiate with the police?
(a) He doesn't negotiate with the police.
(b) To end the strike.
(c) To free Ramatoulaye.
(d) To spy on the police.
12. Why does Ramatoulaye kill the ram in "Chapter 6"?
(a) Because the ram is sick.
(b) Because the ram ate her food.
(c) Because she wants to eat the ram.
(d) Because the ram hurt her child.
13. At Diara's trial, why is it suggested that he be flogged?
(a) Because it's French law.
(b) Because that's what the Koran dictates.
(c) Because Diara is widely disliked.
(d) Because all the other workers were beaten.
14. Who does the narrator say knows who the father of Maimouna's twins is?
(a) No one knows.
(b) Only her family knows.
(c) Everyone knows.
(d) Samba knows.
15. What does Tiemoko do when he realizes Diara returned to work?
(a) He had Diara exiled.
(b) He replaced Diara's job.
(c) He tried to return to work, too.
(d) He took Diara to trial.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does "Chapter 10" take place?
2. In "Chapter 12", how does Doudou feel about his position in the union?
3. Why do Bakayoko's co-leaders call off the striking action in "Chapter 3"?
4. What do the women in the cart do when their horse gets stuck in "Chapter 4"?
5. In "Chapter 9", why does the police officer comment on N'Deye Touti's appearance in front of her?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)