|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of "Chapter 3", how much time passes?
(a) One night.
2. Why does Ramatoulaye decide to go to the police in "Chapter 9"?
(a) Because she feels she has caused enough trouble.
(b) Because she thinks she can trick them.
(c) Because she needs their help.
(d) Because she wants to stop the fighting.
3. In "Chapter 6", where is Beaugosse when he argues about the strike?
(a) Union offices.
(b) Management offices.
(c) Ramatoulaye's house.
(d) The marketplace.
4. After the fire, who does N'Deye Touti think of?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Mame Sofi.
5. How is Penda related to Dieynaba?
(a) She is Dieynaba's foster child.
(b) She is Dieynaba's neighbor.
(c) She is Dieynaba's step-child.
(d) She is Dieynaba's neice.
6. What does Keita do when the crowd gets emotional at the strike meeting in "Chapter 1"?
(a) He calms the crowd down.
(b) He gets the crowd more worked up.
(c) He laughs at the people at the meeting.
(d) He leaves the meeting.
7. Who does Tiemoko take with him to arrest Diara?
(a) A group of unionists.
(b) No one.
(d) A police office.
8. Why do Bakayoko's co-leaders call off the striking action in "Chapter 3"?
(a) Because they have lost too many people.
(b) Because management wants to meet and talk.
(c) Because they want to rest.
(d) Because management won't negotiate.
9. In "Chapter 9", why does the police officer comment on N'Deye Touti's appearance in front of her?
(a) He wants to scare her.
(b) He doesn't think she understands him.
(c) He knows Bakayoko and wants to make him angry.
(d) He wants to get her attention.
10. Why is N'Deye Touti described as being "worldly"?
(a) Because of her travels.
(b) Because of all the languages she knows.
(c) Because of the books she has read.
(d) Because her father was an ambassador.
11. Who lives at N'diayene?
(b) Former union workers.
(c) Women and children.
(d) The elderly.
12. What makes Ramatoulaye consider apologizing to the other women in "Chapter 9"?
(a) Seeing a dead body.
(b) Getting arrested.
(c) Balza asking her to.
(d) Starting a fire.
13. What does Bakary do when the men arrive to strike in "Chapter 2"?
(a) He reports them.
(b) He watches them.
(c) He tells them to leave.
(d) He encourages them.
14. What does Maimouna ask Penda about her child in "Chapter 11"?
(a) If the child is healthy.
(b) If the child walks well.
(c) If the child is in the room.
(d) If the child is beautiful.
15. What happens to Sounkare after he dies?
(a) He is buried in an unmarked grave.
(b) He is burned.
(c) He is eaten by rats.
(d) His mother collects his body.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the women of Thies gather at Dieynaba's?
2. In "Chapter 3", how many workers are killed in the battle?
3. How many deputies visit with Dejean in "Chapter 3"?
4. In "Chapter 9", why do the women patrol the streets?
5. In "Chapter 6", what does the narrator say people began to talk about when they spoke of the strike?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)