|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Chapter 6", what does the narrator say people began to talk about when they spoke of the strike?
(a) They focused on God when talking about the strike.
(b) They stopped speaking about the strike.
(c) They started siding with the management.
(d) They planned for a new union.
2. In "Chapter 10", how does Sounkare describe the strikers?
3. What does Ramatoulaye's brother keep as a pet?
(a) A horse.
(b) A bird.
(c) A dog.
(d) A ram.
4. Why does Ramatoulaye threaten to kill her brother's pet?
(a) He won't help her get food.
(b) He won't speak to her on the street.
(c) He won't give her a job.
(d) He won't buy clothes for her.
5. In "Chapter 9", what does Mame Sofi say when she hears N'Deye Touti talking about the confrontation?
(a) She laughs at the women.
(b) She says everything is just rumors.
(c) She tells N'Deye Touti to stop lying.
(d) She says the women will fight again.
6. Why does Penda help distribute the food?
(a) She is good at keeping order.
(b) She wants to control the food.
(c) She can be trusted with the food.
(d) She likes to spy on the people getting the food.
7. What happens after Samba calls in out in favor of the strike in "Chapter 2"?
(a) Samba is arrested.
(b) The women protest.
(c) The crowd begins to fall apart.
(d) The crowd is attacked by soldiers.
8. In "Chapter 1", what does Niakoro remember about the first train-workers' strike?
(a) The week without pay.
(b) How long it was.
(c) How successful it was.
(d) The loss it caused.
9. In "Chapter 7", why do the French soldiers beat Ad'jibid'ji and Niakoro?
(a) They are looking for Keita.
(b) They are robbing them.
(c) They are searching for weapons.
(d) They routinely beat them.
10. What does Sounkare see in the motor repair shop?
(b) A fire.
(c) A group of men talking.
(d) Lots of cars.
11. At Diara's trial, why is it suggested that he be flogged?
(a) Because all the other workers were beaten.
(b) Because it's French law.
(c) Because that's what the Koran dictates.
(d) Because Diara is widely disliked.
12. Why does Ramatoulaye argue with a shopkeeper in "Chapter 4"?
(a) Because she wants a better price.
(b) Because she wants a job.
(c) Because she is denied credit.
(d) Because she doesn't like what the shop is selling.
13. In "Chapter 1", how do the train workers decide to strike?
(a) They take a vote.
(b) The wives of the workers decide.
(c) The leader decides.
(d) They don't decide anything about the strike.
14. Why does Beaugosse want to know how N'Deye Touti feels about Bakayoko?
(a) Because she spends a lot of time with Bakayoko.
(b) Because she keeps talking about Bakayoko.
(c) Because he doesn't like her anymore.
(d) Because Bakayoko wanted him to ask her.
15. In "Chapter 3", how does Maimouna make her way out of the marketplace?
(a) With the help of strangers.
(b) She doesn't get out of the marketplace.
(c) By using a stick to guide her.
(d) By following a fellow seller.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tiemoko take with him to arrest Diara?
2. How does N'Deye Touti feel about the women confronting the police?
3. In "Chapter 9", why does the police officer comment on N'Deye Touti's appearance in front of her?
4. What is Sounkare's job?
5. How does Beaugosse feel when he leaves N'Deye Touti in "Chapter 5"?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)