|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Keita argue with about the strike after the meeting in "Chapter 1"?
2. What is Sounkare's job?
(a) Head watchman.
(b) Train mechanic.
(d) Office worker.
3. In "Chapter 10", how does Sounkare describe his life as he visits the strike committee?
4. In "Chapter 4", why do the union members tease Beaugosse?
(a) Because of the food he eats.
(b) Because of his clothing.
(c) Because of his wife.
(d) Because of his fear of the strike.
5. In "Chapter 2", how do the residents of Thies act as they wake up?
(a) They act tired.
(b) They are angry.
(c) They are quiet.
(d) They move quickly.
6. Why does Mame Sofi want the women to use flaming torches in "Chapter 9"?
(a) To protect them from the police.
(b) To help them escape the village.
(c) To burn down the management offices.
(d) To keep the streets lit at night.
7. What does Beaugosse do when the fire breaks out in "Chapter 9"?
(a) He isn't in town when the fire starts.
(b) He begins starting fires also.
(c) He takes cover.
(d) He fights it for hours.
8. In "Chapter 4", why do the women in the cart have food?
(a) A woman helped them out.
(b) A group of men gave them food.
(c) They have jobs in a different town.
(d) They stole it.
9. Why do Bakayoko's co-leaders call off the striking action in "Chapter 3"?
(a) Because they have lost too many people.
(b) Because management wants to meet and talk.
(c) Because management won't negotiate.
(d) Because they want to rest.
10. In "Chapter 3", how does Maimouna make her way out of the marketplace?
(a) With the help of strangers.
(b) She doesn't get out of the marketplace.
(c) By following a fellow seller.
(d) By using a stick to guide her.
11. In "Chapter 1", what does Niakoro remember about the first train-workers' strike?
(a) How long it was.
(b) How successful it was.
(c) The week without pay.
(d) The loss it caused.
12. Why is N'Deye Touti described as being "worldly"?
(a) Because of her travels.
(b) Because of all the languages she knows.
(c) Because her father was an ambassador.
(d) Because of the books she has read.
13. What do the women in the cart do when their horse gets stuck in "Chapter 4"?
(a) They decide to walk instead.
(b) They argue with each other.
(c) They call for help.
(d) They try to get the horse out.
14. In "Chapter 1", how do the train workers decide to strike?
(a) They take a vote.
(b) They don't decide anything about the strike.
(c) The wives of the workers decide.
(d) The leader decides.
15. Who does Tiemoko take with him to arrest Diara?
(a) A police office.
(c) A group of unionists.
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 3", what does Dejean tell his supervisors?
2. In "Chapter 9", why do the women patrol the streets?
3. What happens to Niakoro after she is beaten in "Chapter 7"?
4. In "Chapter 7", what does Tiemoko learn about beating the union members who return to work?
5. Who does Beaugosse feel is really running the strike?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)