|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mame Sofi get along with the water in "Chapter 5"?
(a) The water pitcher.
(b) Respect of her friends.
(c) A single dollar.
(d) A new cart.
2. Why do the deputies visit with Dejean in "Chapter 3"?
(a) To question his role in the strike.
(b) To plan an end to the strike.
(c) To ask for jobs.
(d) To provide protection.
3. What makes Ramatoulaye consider apologizing to the other women in "Chapter 9"?
(a) Starting a fire.
(b) Seeing a dead body.
(c) Getting arrested.
(d) Balza asking her to.
4. Where does "Chapter 10" take place?
(d) The capital.
5. At the end of "Chapter 7", what does the narrator say has failed?
(a) The French.
(b) Union negotiations.
(d) A chance for peace.
6. In "Chapter 12", how does Doudou feel about his position in the union?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He is happy.
(c) He is unhappy.
(d) He is grateful.
7. What does Beaugosse do when the fire breaks out in "Chapter 9"?
(a) He isn't in town when the fire starts.
(b) He begins starting fires also.
(c) He fights it for hours.
(d) He takes cover.
8. How does N'Deye Touti feel about the women confronting the police?
(a) She thinks it is foolish.
(b) She doesn't have an opinion on the confrontation.
(c) She thinks it will help the union.
(d) She thinks it proves their power.
9. Why does Sounkare visit friends in "Chapter 10"?
(a) To find food.
(b) To look for someone.
(c) To rally support for the strike.
(d) To gossip.
10. In "Chapter 7", what does Tiemoko learn about beating the union members who return to work?
(a) It makes him feel bad after.
(b) The public loves to watch the beatings.
(c) It works to teach them a lesson.
(d) It's less effective than taking them to trial.
11. Why does Sounkare try to kill rats?
(a) To impress a woman.
(b) To eat them.
(c) To practice hunting.
(d) To control their population.
12. Who treats Maimouna's wounds in "Chapter 3"?
(c) She does it herself.
13. Who takes over the workers jobs when they strike in "Chapter 3"?
(a) People from different villages.
14. How does Sounkare die?
(a) From disease.
(b) From hunger.
(c) From hitting his head.
(d) From a gunshot.
15. Why does Mame Sofi want the women to use flaming torches in "Chapter 9"?
(a) To help them escape the village.
(b) To burn down the management offices.
(c) To keep the streets lit at night.
(d) To protect them from the police.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of "Chapter 3", how much time passes?
2. Why do Bakayoko's co-leaders call off the striking action in "Chapter 3"?
3. In "Chapter 5", what does N'Deye Touti say she likes about Bakayoko?
4. In "Chapter 6", what does the narrator say people began to talk about when they spoke of the strike?
5. What is Samba's role as a train worker?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)