|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bakary do when the men arrive to strike in "Chapter 2"?
(a) He encourages them.
(b) He watches them.
(c) He reports them.
(d) He tells them to leave.
2. How many deputies visit with Dejean in "Chapter 3"?
3. Where does N'Deye Touti go after leaving the police in "Chapter 9"?
(a) To Beaugosse's office.
(b) To the river.
(c) To the compound.
(d) To her mother's house.
4. What does N'Deye Touti do when the police officer comments on her appearance in "Chapter 9"?
(a) She attacks him.
(b) She threatens him.
(c) She cries.
(d) She leaves.
5. After killing the ram in "Chapter 6", what does Ramatoulaye remind the other women?
(a) About her family history.
(b) About the importance of courage.
(c) About how to prepare ram for eating.
(d) About how fate works.
6. Why does Sounkare try to kill rats?
(a) To practice hunting.
(b) To eat them.
(c) To control their population.
(d) To impress a woman.
7. In "Chapter 6", what does the narrator say people began to talk about when they spoke of the strike?
(a) They started siding with the management.
(b) They stopped speaking about the strike.
(c) They planned for a new union.
(d) They focused on God when talking about the strike.
8. What does Niakoro resent about Ad'jibid'ji?
(a) Her intelligence.
(b) Her beauty.
(c) Her house.
(d) Her family life.
9. In "Chapter 3", how does Maimouna make her way out of the marketplace?
(a) She doesn't get out of the marketplace.
(b) By using a stick to guide her.
(c) By following a fellow seller.
(d) With the help of strangers.
10. In "Chapter 9", why do the women patrol the streets?
(a) They don't patrol the streets.
(b) To protect the injured people in town.
(c) As a show of support for the union.
(d) In response to the attack on the women.
11. Why does Ramatoulaye kill the ram in "Chapter 6"?
(a) Because the ram is sick.
(b) Because the ram ate her food.
(c) Because the ram hurt her child.
(d) Because she wants to eat the ram.
12. How do Mame Sofi and the women start a fire in the village?
(a) They don't start the fire, but are blamed for it.
(b) By purposefully throwing flaming torches.
(c) By trying to light a torch.
(d) By accidentally hitting a hut with a flaming torch.
13. In "Chapter 9", why does the police officer comment on N'Deye Touti's appearance in front of her?
(a) He knows Bakayoko and wants to make him angry.
(b) He doesn't think she understands him.
(c) He wants to scare her.
(d) He wants to get her attention.
14. Why does Ramatoulaye threaten to kill her brother's pet?
(a) He won't buy clothes for her.
(b) He won't help her get food.
(c) He won't give her a job.
(d) He won't speak to her on the street.
15. Who does the narrator say knows who the father of Maimouna's twins is?
(a) Samba knows.
(b) Everyone knows.
(c) No one knows.
(d) Only her family knows.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 7", how many union members are discovered to have returned to work?
2. How does Mame Sofi get the water seller to leave the water behind in "Chapter 5"?
3. What does Ad'jibid'ji first do when she goes to the strike meeting in "Chapter 1"?
4. What does Keita do when the crowd gets emotional at the strike meeting in "Chapter 1"?
5. In "Chapter 5", what does N'Deye Touti say she likes about Bakayoko?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)