|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the women do when they meet at Dieynaba's?
(a) Cook food.
(b) Plan the union strike.
(c) Sing songs.
(d) Sew for the men.
2. Why does Beaugosse want to know how N'Deye Touti feels about Bakayoko?
(a) Because she keeps talking about Bakayoko.
(b) Because Bakayoko wanted him to ask her.
(c) Because he doesn't like her anymore.
(d) Because she spends a lot of time with Bakayoko.
3. Why do the deputies visit with Dejean in "Chapter 3"?
(a) To plan an end to the strike.
(b) To question his role in the strike.
(c) To ask for jobs.
(d) To provide protection.
4. What happens to Sounkare after he dies?
(a) He is burned.
(b) He is buried in an unmarked grave.
(c) He is eaten by rats.
(d) His mother collects his body.
5. In "Chapter 3", how many workers are killed in the battle?
6. Why do the women overturn trucks in "Chapter 9"?
(a) Because a truck ran over a child.
(b) Because the trucks are on fire.
(c) Because one of them dies during a conflict.
(d) Because the trucks are in their way.
7. In "Chapter 1", what does Niakoro remember about the first train-workers' strike?
(a) How long it was.
(b) The week without pay.
(c) How successful it was.
(d) The loss it caused.
8. Who does Keita argue with about the strike after the meeting in "Chapter 1"?
9. Who does Mame Sofi try to confront in "Chapter 9"?
(a) The police.
(c) N'Deye Touti.
10. In "Chapter 4", why do the women in the cart have food?
(a) A group of men gave them food.
(b) A woman helped them out.
(c) They have jobs in a different town.
(d) They stole it.
11. In "Chapter 5", what does Beaugosse reveal about his job?
(a) He is getting a raise.
(b) He has been fired.
(c) He is going to try to become a union leader.
(d) He wants to leave it.
12. Why is it suggested that Beaugosse take part in the delegation to meet with Dejean?
(a) Because he is the strongest.
(b) So he can meet Bakayoko.
(c) Because he is the best speaker.
(d) So he can increase their numbers.
13. When Diara returns to work, how does Tiemoko try to track him down?
(a) Bribing people in the marketplace.
(b) By following his wife.
(c) Through his son.
(d) Following the train tracks.
14. Why does Ramatoulaye decide to go to the police in "Chapter 9"?
(a) Because she thinks she can trick them.
(b) Because she feels she has caused enough trouble.
(c) Because she needs their help.
(d) Because she wants to stop the fighting.
15. Who treats Maimouna's wounds in "Chapter 3"?
(a) She does it herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lives at N'diayene?
2. What is Sounkare's job?
3. What does Tiemoko do when he realizes Diara returned to work?
4. What does Maimouna ask Penda about her child in "Chapter 11"?
5. In "Chapter 8", what do the women say about Diara?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)