|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the women of Thies gather at Dieynaba's?
(a) They all owe her money.
(b) They are inspired by her strength.
(c) They are entertained by her stories.
(d) They enjoy her cooking.
2. How is Penda related to Dieynaba?
(a) She is Dieynaba's foster child.
(b) She is Dieynaba's step-child.
(c) She is Dieynaba's neighbor.
(d) She is Dieynaba's neice.
3. What does Keita do when the crowd gets emotional at the strike meeting in "Chapter 1"?
(a) He leaves the meeting.
(b) He laughs at the people at the meeting.
(c) He gets the crowd more worked up.
(d) He calms the crowd down.
4. Who takes over the workers jobs when they strike in "Chapter 3"?
(c) People from different villages.
5. Why does Mame Sofi want the women to use flaming torches in "Chapter 9"?
(a) To help them escape the village.
(b) To burn down the management offices.
(c) To keep the streets lit at night.
(d) To protect them from the police.
6. Why do the deputies visit with Dejean in "Chapter 3"?
(a) To question his role in the strike.
(b) To provide protection.
(c) To plan an end to the strike.
(d) To ask for jobs.
7. What does Beaugosse do when the fire breaks out in "Chapter 9"?
(a) He takes cover.
(b) He fights it for hours.
(c) He isn't in town when the fire starts.
(d) He begins starting fires also.
8. Why do Bakayoko's co-leaders call off the striking action in "Chapter 3"?
(a) Because management won't negotiate.
(b) Because management wants to meet and talk.
(c) Because they want to rest.
(d) Because they have lost too many people.
9. In "Chapter 3", how does Maimouna make her way out of the marketplace?
(a) She doesn't get out of the marketplace.
(b) By using a stick to guide her.
(c) With the help of strangers.
(d) By following a fellow seller.
10. Why does Penda help distribute the food?
(a) She is good at keeping order.
(b) She wants to control the food.
(c) She likes to spy on the people getting the food.
(d) She can be trusted with the food.
11. In "Chapter 10", how does Sounkare describe the strikers?
12. In "Chapter 8", what do the women say about Diara?
(a) That he is a confused man.
(b) That he is innocent.
(c) That he treated them badly.
(d) That he owes them money and food.
13. At Diara's trial, why is it suggested that he be flogged?
(a) Because that's what the Koran dictates.
(b) Because Diara is widely disliked.
(c) Because all the other workers were beaten.
(d) Because it's French law.
14. In "Chapter 7", how is Assitan described as a woman?
15. In "Chapter 11", what do Penda and Maimouna discuss?
(a) If women are warriors.
(b) If children are saints.
(c) If people are sinners.
(d) If men are dogs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after Samba calls in out in favor of the strike in "Chapter 2"?
2. At the end of "Chapter 3", how much time passes?
3. What do the women in the cart do when their horse gets stuck in "Chapter 4"?
4. What do the women do when they meet at Dieynaba's?
5. How many siblings does Strike have?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)