|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ad'jibid'ji first do when she goes to the strike meeting in "Chapter 1"?
(a) She sorts through the office mail.
(b) She delivers a package.
(c) She takes photographs.
(d) She listens to a speech.
2. Why does Penda help distribute the food?
(a) She wants to control the food.
(b) She likes to spy on the people getting the food.
(c) She can be trusted with the food.
(d) She is good at keeping order.
3. How do Mame Sofi and the women start a fire in the village?
(a) By accidentally hitting a hut with a flaming torch.
(b) By purposefully throwing flaming torches.
(c) They don't start the fire, but are blamed for it.
(d) By trying to light a torch.
4. What do the women in the cart do when their horse gets stuck in "Chapter 4"?
(a) They argue with each other.
(b) They decide to walk instead.
(c) They try to get the horse out.
(d) They call for help.
5. Who takes over the workers jobs when they strike in "Chapter 3"?
(d) People from different villages.
6. In "Chapter 4", why do the women in the cart have food?
(a) They stole it.
(b) A woman helped them out.
(c) They have jobs in a different town.
(d) A group of men gave them food.
7. In "Chapter 6", what does the narrator say people began to talk about when they spoke of the strike?
(a) They planned for a new union.
(b) They stopped speaking about the strike.
(c) They focused on God when talking about the strike.
(d) They started siding with the management.
8. Why are many men angry at Diara's trial?
(a) Because they dislike Diara.
(b) Because they like Diara.
(c) Because they want to return to work.
(d) Because there are women there.
9. Who does Mame Sofi try to confront in "Chapter 9"?
(b) N'Deye Touti.
(d) The police.
10. At Diara's trial, why is it suggested that he be flogged?
(a) Because that's what the Koran dictates.
(b) Because it's French law.
(c) Because all the other workers were beaten.
(d) Because Diara is widely disliked.
11. What does N'Deye Touti do when the police officer comments on her appearance in "Chapter 9"?
(a) She attacks him.
(b) She leaves.
(c) She threatens him.
(d) She cries.
12. Why does Ramatoulaye kill the ram in "Chapter 6"?
(a) Because she wants to eat the ram.
(b) Because the ram ate her food.
(c) Because the ram hurt her child.
(d) Because the ram is sick.
13. What does Niakoro resent about Ad'jibid'ji?
(a) Her beauty.
(b) Her house.
(c) Her family life.
(d) Her intelligence.
14. In "Chapter 10", how does Sounkare describe his life as he visits the strike committee?
15. In "Chapter 1", how do the train workers decide to strike?
(a) They don't decide anything about the strike.
(b) The wives of the workers decide.
(c) They take a vote.
(d) The leader decides.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Maimouna's social status described in "Chapter 2"?
2. What is Sounkare's job?
3. In "Chapter 11", what do Penda and Maimouna discuss?
4. In "Chapter 5", what does Beaugosse reveal about his job?
5. Why do the women of Thies gather at Dieynaba's?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)