|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sounkare die?
(a) From hunger.
(b) From a gunshot.
(c) From hitting his head.
(d) From disease.
2. In "Chapter 7", why do the French soldiers beat Ad'jibid'ji and Niakoro?
(a) They are robbing them.
(b) They routinely beat them.
(c) They are searching for weapons.
(d) They are looking for Keita.
3. Why does Beaugosse want to know how N'Deye Touti feels about Bakayoko?
(a) Because she keeps talking about Bakayoko.
(b) Because he doesn't like her anymore.
(c) Because Bakayoko wanted him to ask her.
(d) Because she spends a lot of time with Bakayoko.
4. Why does Tiemoko visit Bakayoko in "Chapter 7"?
(a) To loan him money.
(b) To borrow a book.
(c) To meet a woman.
(d) To have coffee.
5. How many deputies visit with Dejean in "Chapter 3"?
6. Why do Bakayoko's co-leaders call off the striking action in "Chapter 3"?
(a) Because management wants to meet and talk.
(b) Because management won't negotiate.
(c) Because they have lost too many people.
(d) Because they want to rest.
7. Why does Sounkare try to kill rats?
(a) To control their population.
(b) To impress a woman.
(c) To eat them.
(d) To practice hunting.
8. In "Chapter 6", what does the narrator say people began to talk about when they spoke of the strike?
(a) They planned for a new union.
(b) They focused on God when talking about the strike.
(c) They stopped speaking about the strike.
(d) They started siding with the management.
9. Who does Beaugosse feel is really running the strike?
(a) The French.
10. In "Chapter 2", what do the women sell in the market the striking workers pass?
(a) Books from other countries.
(c) Ready to eat food.
11. In "Chapter 9", why does the police officer comment on N'Deye Touti's appearance in front of her?
(a) He knows Bakayoko and wants to make him angry.
(b) He wants to get her attention.
(c) He wants to scare her.
(d) He doesn't think she understands him.
12. Why does Penda ask about the father of Maimouna's children?
(a) Penda doesn't talk to Maimouna about her children.
(b) Because she wants to get to know her better.
(c) Because she wants to find him.
(d) Because she heard a rumor.
13. What was Bakayoko's role before he went missing?
(a) Head engineer.
(b) School teacher.
(c) Union leader.
(d) Local farmer.
14. Why does Penda help distribute the food?
(a) She likes to spy on the people getting the food.
(b) She wants to control the food.
(c) She can be trusted with the food.
(d) She is good at keeping order.
15. In "Chapter 9", where is Beaugosse told to travel?
(c) Union headquarters.
(d) The river.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sounkare's job?
2. In "Chapter 3", how does Maimouna make her way out of the marketplace?
3. Who does the narrator say knows who the father of Maimouna's twins is?
4. Why do the women of Thies gather at Dieynaba's?
5. What does Ramatoulaye's brother keep as a pet?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)