Chapters 1 and 2
• The poor town of Thies is introduced, along with its residents who are mostly train workers.
• The train workers are considering a strike.
• When the strike is decided upon, some workers are unsure of the strike but go along with it.
• On the day of the strike, soldiers arrive and attack the crowd, killing a child.
Chapters 3 and 4
• A union battle leaves several members dead, and the union co-leaders decide to stop all action when management won't negotiate.
• Dejean meets with deputies to plan how to end the strike.
• Dejean decides to start his own rival union.
• Ramatoulaye becomes frustrated about her inability to feed herself.
• Ramatoulaye meets three women who tell her how they were able to get food with the help of an attractive woman.
Chapters 5 and 6
• At the women's compound, Mame Sofi cons the water seller out of his water and pitcher.
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)