|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Union men actually encounter around Chancellorsville?
2. What to Lee and Jackson use to help them find a road that leads toward the Federal troops outside of Chancellorsville?
3. What slows Hancock's men's advancement toward Fredericksburg?
4. Why does the Union army retreat and create a defensive line around Chancellorsville?
5. What must the Union army must way their way out of as the move against the Confederates around Chancellorsville?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Present a well-reasoned paper arguing whether the reader is supposed to find Lee a likable (patriotic, dedicated, intelligent) character OR an unlikable (fighting for slavery, morose, rigid) character. Make sure to use specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least 3 challenges an author like Shaara faces when writing historical fiction. Make sure to use at least 3 examples from "Gods and Generals" to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least 3 ways that the violence and/or battle scenes in "Gods and Generals" are gratuitously violent and why such violence takes away from the plot and/or rest of the text.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)