|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jackson see General Howard doing for his men during the initial attack outside of Chancellorsville?
2. Who is in charge of the Confederate men after Jackson and Hill are no longer able to command the troops?
3. Where does Hancock go to warn people that Lee must be up to something during the battle at Chancellorsville?
4. Why does Hooker decide to have his men stop attacking around Chancellorsville?
5. What is General Oliver Howard in command of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the person in command change twice for the Confederates during the battle at Chancellorsville?
2. What does Hancock see when he turns around to look at his men as he reaches the crest of the hill at Fredericksburg?
3. What happens to Lee, physically, soon after the battle at Fredericksburg?
4. What happens to Hancock's unit during the attack at Fredericksburg?
5. How do Lee and Jackson divide their army around Chancellorsville?
6. What will the Union troops have to do in order to attack the Confederates near Fredericksburg?
7. What information does General Stuart share with Lee after the battle at Fredericksburg?
8. What does Hancock come to realize about the battle at Chancellorsville?
9. Why does Burnside's attempt at redemption after Fredericksburg fail?
10. What fills Lee and Longstreet with pride as they see the Union army begin its attack outside of Fredericksburg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Historical fiction, and "Gods and Generals" in particular, are an especially popular type of novel. Discuss at least 4 aspects of Shaara's writing style that resonates so strongly with such a large audience, citing specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Describe at least 4 features of Robert E. Lee and how those features fulfill the traditional, literary requirements of a villain -- even though this novel is historical fiction.
Essay Topic 3
Describe at least 4 ways that the novel is changed -- either positively or negatively -- by having such detailed battle scenes. Use specific examples from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)