|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jackson dream of while recovering from his war wounds?
2. What kinds of men are killed as the Union army tries to set up bridges to cross the Rappahannock River?
3. What does Hancock lose during the battle of Chancellorsville?
4. Who shares Sumner's concern about General Burnside's plan to cross the river.
5. What happens to Colonel Ames during the battle of Fredericksburg?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the information A.P. Hill tells Jackson about the swampland at the battle of Fredericksburg significant?
2. What do Hancock and General Sumner think of General Burnside's plans for attack near Fredericksburg?
3. What does Hancock see when he turns around to look at his men as he reaches the crest of the hill at Fredericksburg?
4. What is the pattern of the Union troops once the battle at Chancellorsville begins?
5. How does General Barksdale defend the town of Fredericksburg itself?
6. What happens at the scene of Jackson's death?
7. What information does General Stuart share with Lee after the battle at Fredericksburg?
8. Why does Burnside's attempt at redemption after Fredericksburg fail?
9. What report does Howard unwisely choose to ignore as he waits outside Chancellorsville?
10. What happens to Hancock's unit during the attack at Fredericksburg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Shaara portrays authority figures in "Gods and Generals," making sure to use at least 3 specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least 3 literary devices that Shaara uses to help the reader better understand at least one character of your choosing. Use direct quotations and/or examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one female character in the novel and describe at least 3 things that Shaara is able to do with her character because she is a woman AND at least 3 things he is not able to do with her because she is a woman.
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)