|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Lee launch one final attack against the Union troops in Fredericksburg?
2. What kinds of men are killed as the Union army tries to set up bridges to cross the Rappahannock River?
3. What bad vaccine is an entire regiment given after Fredericksburg?
4. Who sends word to Lee that the Union army is crossing the river after Fredericksburg?
5. Who is left in charge of the Twentieth Maine when Colonel Ames is no longer available?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hooker do when he realizes he has surrounded Lee?
2. What do Hancock and General Sumner think of General Burnside's plans for attack near Fredericksburg?
3. What fills Lee and Longstreet with pride as they see the Union army begin its attack outside of Fredericksburg?
4. What does Hancock come to realize about the battle at Chancellorsville?
5. Why is the information A.P. Hill tells Jackson about the swampland at the battle of Fredericksburg significant?
6. Why does Burnside's attempt at redemption after Fredericksburg fail?
7. How does General Barksdale defend the town of Fredericksburg itself?
8. What happens to Lee, physically, soon after the battle at Fredericksburg?
9. How does Chamberlain spend the night after he attacks Fredericksburg?
10. What information does General Stuart share with Lee after the battle at Fredericksburg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Present a well-reasoned paper arguing whether the reader is supposed to find Lee a likable (patriotic, dedicated, intelligent) character OR an unlikable (fighting for slavery, morose, rigid) character. Make sure to use specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least 3 reasons why "Gods and Generals" could be classified in a genre other than historical fiction, making sure to use specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast 2 female characters from "Gods and Generals" and discuss what they contribute and/or take away from the text, given that, at this time, war and government was reserved primarily for men.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)