|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time passes between when Hancock's men advance and when the Twentieth Main's men advance over the same land at Fredericksburg?
2. What do the Union men actually encounter around Chancellorsville?
3. What slows Hancock's men's advancement toward Fredericksburg?
4. Where are Lee's army located near Fredericksburg after the battle of Chancellorsville?
5. What happens to the war in VIrginia after the battle at Fredericksburg?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hancock come to realize about the battle at Chancellorsville?
2. What wounds and treatment does Jackson receive during the battle at Chancellorsville?
3. What happens to Hancock's unit during the attack at Fredericksburg?
4. What happens at the scene of Jackson's death?
5. How does Hancock react when he learns that the men have been ordered to retreat from their attack around Chancellorsville?
6. Why is the information A.P. Hill tells Jackson about the swampland at the battle of Fredericksburg significant?
7. What information does General Stuart share with Lee after the battle at Fredericksburg?
8. What does Hooker do when he realizes he has surrounded Lee?
9. Why does the person in command change twice for the Confederates during the battle at Chancellorsville?
10. How does General Barksdale defend the town of Fredericksburg itself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a well-reasoned argument discussing whether or not Hancock is a good role model for young readers.
Essay Topic 2
In a well-written essay, discuss what function John Brown's story serves in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least 3 different literary techniques Shaara uses to create tension in "Gods and Generals."
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)