|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jackson dream of while recovering from his war wounds?
2. What is Chamberlain's brother promoted to after Fredericksburg?
3. What does Hancock think about why the Confederates are attacking him with such a small force outside of Chancellorsville?
4. Who let's Longstreet and his corps know that he will soon arrive across the Rappahannock to help with defense?
5. Who replaces Burnside as commander of the Union Army?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the pattern of the Union troops once the battle at Chancellorsville begins?
2. What does Hancock think of the Confederates' strategy during the battle of Chancellorsville?
3. How does Lee plan to destroy what is left of the Union army outside of Chancellorsville once the major fighting is over?
4. How does Chamberlain spend the night after he attacks Fredericksburg?
5. Why does the person in command change twice for the Confederates during the battle at Chancellorsville?
6. What does Hancock see when he turns around to look at his men as he reaches the crest of the hill at Fredericksburg?
7. What fills Lee and Longstreet with pride as they see the Union army begin its attack outside of Fredericksburg?
8. What happens at the scene of Jackson's death?
9. What happens to Hancock's unit during the attack at Fredericksburg?
10. Why is the information A.P. Hill tells Jackson about the swampland at the battle of Fredericksburg significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify what you think is the tone for "Gods and Generals" and discuss 3 literary devices that Shaara uses to create this tone.
Essay Topic 2
Describe at least 4 features of Robert E. Lee and how those features fulfill the traditional, literary requirements of a villain -- even though this novel is historical fiction.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one female character in the novel and describe at least 3 things that Shaara is able to do with her character because she is a woman AND at least 3 things he is not able to do with her because she is a woman.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)