|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Chamberlain's brother promoted to after Fredericksburg?
2. What happens to the war in VIrginia after the battle at Fredericksburg?
3. What surprised Jackson about the swamp he left alone during the battle of Fredericksburg?
4. What does Jackson do before telling his troops to charge outside of Chancellorsville?
5. What do the final forces in Fredericksburg finally do to Lee's remaining small force there?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lee's plan, after Chancellorsville, for his troops?
2. What happens at the scene of Jackson's death?
3. What is the pattern of the Union troops once the battle at Chancellorsville begins?
4. How do Lee and Jackson divide their army around Chancellorsville?
5. How does Hancock react when he learns that the men have been ordered to retreat from their attack around Chancellorsville?
6. What happens to Hancock's unit during the attack at Fredericksburg?
7. What does Hancock see when he turns around to look at his men as he reaches the crest of the hill at Fredericksburg?
8. What wounds and treatment does Jackson receive during the battle at Chancellorsville?
9. Why does the person in command change twice for the Confederates during the battle at Chancellorsville?
10. Why is the information A.P. Hill tells Jackson about the swampland at the battle of Fredericksburg significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least 4 aspects of "Gods and Generals" that can easily be carried over into a second novel chronicling the main characters' involvement in the Civil War.
Essay Topic 2
Describe at least 4 ways that the novel is changed -- either positively or negatively -- by having such detailed battle scenes. Use specific examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Historical fiction, and "Gods and Generals" in particular, are an especially popular type of novel. Discuss at least 4 aspects of Shaara's writing style that resonates so strongly with such a large audience, citing specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)