|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Union men actually encounter around Chancellorsville?
2. How do Jackson's wounds heal initially?
3. From whose point of view is the letter written that informs Lee that his wife has had a baby girl?
4. How does Jane die?
5. How do Jackson and Lee react when they see the Union army stop in its tracks around Chancellorsville?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hancock think of the Confederates' strategy during the battle of Chancellorsville?
2. How does Lee plan to destroy what is left of the Union army outside of Chancellorsville once the major fighting is over?
3. How does Chamberlain spend the night after he attacks Fredericksburg?
4. What does Hooker do when he realizes he has surrounded Lee?
5. What is Lee's plan, after Chancellorsville, for his troops?
6. What report does Howard unwisely choose to ignore as he waits outside Chancellorsville?
7. Why is the information A.P. Hill tells Jackson about the swampland at the battle of Fredericksburg significant?
8. How has Hooker managed to surround Lee shortly after the battle at Fredericksburg?
9. How does Hancock react when he learns that the men have been ordered to retreat from their attack around Chancellorsville?
10. What is the pattern of the Union troops once the battle at Chancellorsville begins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast 2 female characters from "Gods and Generals" and discuss what they contribute and/or take away from the text, given that, at this time, war and government was reserved primarily for men.
Essay Topic 2
In a well-written essay, discuss what function John Brown's story serves in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least 3 different literary techniques Shaara uses to create tension in "Gods and Generals."
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)