|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Lee when General Stuart sends him the gift of a new uniform?
2. What does Jackson dream of while recovering from his war wounds?
3. What do Jackson's men do after they hear of his death?
4. Who commands the division that goes in front of Hancock's at Fredericksburg?
5. What do the final forces in Fredericksburg finally do to Lee's remaining small force there?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Burnside's attempt at redemption after Fredericksburg fail?
2. What is the pattern of the Union troops once the battle at Chancellorsville begins?
3. Why does the person in command change twice for the Confederates during the battle at Chancellorsville?
4. What wounds and treatment does Jackson receive during the battle at Chancellorsville?
5. What happens to Lee, physically, soon after the battle at Fredericksburg?
6. How does Lee plan to destroy what is left of the Union army outside of Chancellorsville once the major fighting is over?
7. How does Hancock react when he learns that the men have been ordered to retreat from their attack around Chancellorsville?
8. What does Hancock come to realize about the battle at Chancellorsville?
9. What happens at the scene of Jackson's death?
10. How does General Barksdale defend the town of Fredericksburg itself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least 3 reasons why "Gods and Generals" could be classified in a genre other than historical fiction, making sure to use specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Describe at least 3 negative aspects of having both the South and the North's viewpoint represented in "Gods and Generals" AND at least 3 positive aspects of having both the South and the North's viewpoint represented.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least 3 challenges an author like Shaara faces when writing historical fiction. Make sure to use at least 3 examples from "Gods and Generals" to support your position.
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)