|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hancock expect to be ordered to do after he is promoted to command of a division?
2. How are Lee's hands injured?
3. Where is Hancock posted when he is first introduced in the novel?
4. Who is General John Pope?
5. Who does not respond well to the news that Chamberlain has joined a regiment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is tricky about Hancock's arrive in Yorktown before the first battle over Richmond?
2. What responsibility does Lee give Jackson when Jackson comes to him seeking an assignment in Virginia's forces?
3. What ends up happening to John Brown after his insurrection?
4. What does Taylor request of Lee shortly after the war begins?
5. Who is Mr. Hamilton?
6. What happens to Lee's belongings while he is in Texas after the election?
7. What has the Union Army done during its first attack on Richmond?
8. What happens after Lincoln comes to visit McClellan on the battlefield?
9. What causes Hancock to suffer defeat after he is promoted to command of a division mid-battle?
10. What happens at Mina's party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast 2 female characters from "Gods and Generals" and discuss what they contribute and/or take away from the text, given that, at this time, war and government was reserved primarily for men.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one female character in the novel and describe at least 3 things that Shaara is able to do with her character because she is a woman AND at least 3 things he is not able to do with her because she is a woman.
Essay Topic 3
Identify what you think is the tone for "Gods and Generals" and discuss 3 literary devices that Shaara uses to create this tone.
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)