|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lee finally find out about how the Battle of Bull Run went?
2. How could McClellan's military strategy best be defined?
3. Who is Kilrain?
4. Who delivers the request from the Secretary of War to Lee?
5. What is the name of the regiment Chamberlain joins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Lee's belongings while he is in Texas after the election?
2. Who is Mr. Hamilton?
3. Why do Dr. Junkin and Jackson disagree about the forthcoming civil war?
4. What leads President Davis to relieve Johnston from his command?
5. What is tricky about Hancock's arrive in Yorktown before the first battle over Richmond?
6. What kind of expectations are made clear when Lee is given command of Virginia's provisional army?
7. What has the Union Army done during its first attack on Richmond?
8. How does Chamberlain's wife respond to the news that he has joined the army?
9. How do Hancock and his men end up attacking Richmond?
10. What ends up happening to John Brown after his insurrection?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe at least 4 ways that the novel is changed -- either positively or negatively -- by having such detailed battle scenes. Use specific examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze at least 3 literary techniques Shaara uses to make one character of your choosing from "Gods and Generals" very likable OR very unlikable to the reader.
Essay Topic 3
Historical fiction, and "Gods and Generals" in particular, are an especially popular type of novel. Discuss at least 4 aspects of Shaara's writing style that resonates so strongly with such a large audience, citing specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)