|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits McClellan has he and his troops stay put after Lee retreats?
2. How could McClellan's military strategy best be defined?
3. What position does Davis first promote Lee to?
4. How long does McClellan keep his army inactive after Lee's retreat?
5. What is Hancock in charge of when he is first introduced in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jackson win the Second Battle of Bull Run?
2. What does Armistead tell Hancock at Mina's party?
3. What happens after Lincoln comes to visit McClellan on the battlefield?
4. What leads President Davis to relieve Johnston from his command?
5. Why is Lee initially disappointed with his promotion to Brigadier General?
6. What tension exists in California (in addition to the possibility of civil war) when Hancock is introduced into the text?
7. What causes Hancock to suffer defeat after he is promoted to command of a division mid-battle?
8. What responsibility does Lee give Jackson when Jackson comes to him seeking an assignment in Virginia's forces?
9. What kind of expectations are made clear when Lee is given command of Virginia's provisional army?
10. How does Chamberlain's wife respond to the news that he has joined the army?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a well-reasoned argument discussing whether or not Hancock is a good role model for young readers.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze at least 3 different literary techniques Shaara uses to create tension in "Gods and Generals."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least 4 aspects of "Gods and Generals" that can easily be carried over into a second novel chronicling the main characters' involvement in the Civil War.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)