|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Chamberlain nearly killed during his first battle?
2. How could McClellan's military strategy best be defined?
3. How are Jackson's soldiers described during the Battle of Bull Run?
4. What delays the Union Army in the north during the first battle over Richmond?
5. What happens to Johnston before he loses command of the army?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lee initially disappointed with his promotion to Brigadier General?
2. What leads President Davis to relieve Johnston from his command?
3. Why do Dr. Junkin and Jackson disagree about the forthcoming civil war?
4. What ends up happening to John Brown after his insurrection?
5. What does Taylor request of Lee shortly after the war begins?
6. What happens to Lee's belongings while he is in Texas after the election?
7. How do Hancock and his men end up attacking Richmond?
8. What advice does Jackson's pastor give him for dealing with the death of his newborn daughter?
9. What responsibility does Lee give Jackson when Jackson comes to him seeking an assignment in Virginia's forces?
10. What is tricky about Hancock's arrive in Yorktown before the first battle over Richmond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least 4 aspects of "Gods and Generals" that can easily be carried over into a second novel chronicling the main characters' involvement in the Civil War.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least 3 ways that the violence and/or battle scenes in "Gods and Generals" are gratuitously violent and why such violence takes away from the plot and/or rest of the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least 3 reasons why "Gods and Generals" could be classified in a genre other than historical fiction, making sure to use specific examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)