|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is J.E.B. Stuart when he is first introduced.
2. What command does the governor of Virginia give Lee when they first meet?
3. What kind of hostess is Mira described as?
4. Who is Sam Houston?
5. How does Chamberlain feel about Bowdoin's students volunteering to fight in the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dumb mistake does Chamberlain make that nearly gets him killed during his first battle?
2. What has the Union Army done during its first attack on Richmond?
3. What happens to Lee and Longstreet on their way to meet up with Jackson before the Second Battle of Bull Run?
4. How do the leaders of Bowdoin College respond to Chamberlain's speech to his students about joining the war?
5. What happens when Lee's horse spooks after the Second Battle of Bull Run?
6. Why do Dr. Junkin and Jackson disagree about the forthcoming civil war?
7. Who is Mr. Hamilton?
8. In what situation does Lee learn that Texas wants to secede from the union?
9. What causes Hancock to suffer defeat after he is promoted to command of a division mid-battle?
10. What do Chamberlain and Sergeant Kilrain discuss during their first march to Washington?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Present a well-reasoned paper arguing whether the reader is supposed to find Lee a likable (patriotic, dedicated, intelligent) character OR an unlikable (fighting for slavery, morose, rigid) character. Make sure to use specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
In a well-written essay, discuss what function John Brown's story serves in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Describe at least 4 features of Robert E. Lee and how those features fulfill the traditional, literary requirements of a villain -- even though this novel is historical fiction.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)