|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jackson teach when he is first introduced in "Gods and Generals"?
2. Where does Lee order Jackson to get his troops before the Second Battle of Bull Run?
3. Contrary to media reports, how many men does John Brown have with him during his "uprising"?
4. What is the name of the regiment Chamberlain joins?
5. What does Mr. Hamilton do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the leaders of Bowdoin College respond to Chamberlain's speech to his students about joining the war?
2. What leads President Davis to relieve Johnston from his command?
3. What happens during the time when General Scott offers Lee the chance to be second in command of the union army and when Lee chooses to resign?
4. Why is Lee initially disappointed with his promotion to Brigadier General?
5. Where is Lee's family estate located?
6. What kind of expectations are made clear when Lee is given command of Virginia's provisional army?
7. How does Chamberlain's wife respond to the news that he has joined the army?
8. Why do both the northern and southern armies take a break from fighting after the Battle of Bull Run?
9. What does Armistead tell Hancock at Mina's party?
10. What does the Secretary of War order Lee to do after he summons him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least 3 different literary techniques Shaara uses to create tension in "Gods and Generals."
Essay Topic 2
Describe at least 3 negative aspects of having both the South and the North's viewpoint represented in "Gods and Generals" AND at least 3 positive aspects of having both the South and the North's viewpoint represented.
Essay Topic 3
Identify what you think is the tone for "Gods and Generals" and discuss 3 literary devices that Shaara uses to create this tone.
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)