|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hancock tell his men to do when they (appear to) retreat from their attack on Richmond?
2. Where does Jackson teach when he is first introduced in "Gods and Generals"?
3. What does Houston tell Lee when they first meet?
4. After Chamberlain's first battle, when does Lee's army withdraw?
5. After the first attack on Richmond, what do Lee and Davis do to see what is going on with the troops?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do both the northern and southern armies take a break from fighting after the Battle of Bull Run?
2. What does Chamberlain see when he returns to the hilltop where he was nearly killed in his first battle?
3. What happens when Lee's horse spooks after the Second Battle of Bull Run?
4. What dumb mistake does Chamberlain make that nearly gets him killed during his first battle?
5. Why is the Confederacy energized by the Battle of Bull Run?
6. What has the Union Army done during its first attack on Richmond?
7. How does Jackson respond to his students' questions during his lectures when he is first introduced in the novel?
8. What happens after Lincoln comes to visit McClellan on the battlefield?
9. How do Hancock and his men end up attacking Richmond?
10. Where is Lee's family estate located?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least 3 literary devices that Shaara uses to help the reader better understand at least one character of your choosing. Use direct quotations and/or examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast 2 characters of your choosing from the "Gods and Generals," making sure to use direct evidence and examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Write a well-reasoned argument discussing whether or not Hancock is a good role model for young readers.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)