|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is General Twiggs?
2. Who is Kilrain?
3. What position is Lee offered in the US military as the civil war threatens to start?
4. What is Chamberlain and his men's assignment during their first battle?
5. What does Houston tell Lee when they first meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ends up happening to John Brown after his insurrection?
2. What does Taylor request of Lee shortly after the war begins?
3. What causes Hancock to suffer defeat after he is promoted to command of a division mid-battle?
4. What has the Union Army done during its first attack on Richmond?
5. How successful is Chamberlain during his hunting trip when he is first introduced in the text?
6. What happens to Lee's belongings while he is in Texas after the election?
7. What happens when Lee's horse spooks after the Second Battle of Bull Run?
8. What happens at Mina's party?
9. How does Jackson respond to his students' questions during his lectures when he is first introduced in the novel?
10. What happens during the time when General Scott offers Lee the chance to be second in command of the union army and when Lee chooses to resign?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe at least 3 negative aspects of having both the South and the North's viewpoint represented in "Gods and Generals" AND at least 3 positive aspects of having both the South and the North's viewpoint represented.
Essay Topic 2
Describe at least 4 ways that the novel is changed -- either positively or negatively -- by having such detailed battle scenes. Use specific examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least 3 reasons why "Gods and Generals" could be classified in a genre other than historical fiction, making sure to use specific examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)