|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the first attack on Richmond, what do Lee and Davis do to see what is going on with the troops?
2. Where does Lee first meet with the governor of Virginia?
3. Where does Hancock's brigade unload as part of the army attacking Richmond?
4. Where would Chamberlain have gone had he become a soldier instead of an academic?
5. What does Jackson do during John Brown's execution?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lee win the first battle over Richmond?
2. What happens to Lee's belongings while he is in Texas after the election?
3. What happens after Lincoln comes to visit McClellan on the battlefield?
4. What happens when Lee's horse spooks after the Second Battle of Bull Run?
5. Why do Dr. Junkin and Jackson disagree about the forthcoming civil war?
6. What do Chamberlain and Sergeant Kilrain discuss during their first march to Washington?
7. How successful is Chamberlain during his hunting trip when he is first introduced in the text?
8. What does Armistead tell Hancock at Mina's party?
9. Who is Mr. Hamilton?
10. How do Hancock and his men end up attacking Richmond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In a well-written essay, discuss what function John Brown's story serves in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least 3 challenges an author like Shaara faces when writing historical fiction. Make sure to use at least 3 examples from "Gods and Generals" to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Present a well-reasoned paper arguing whether the reader is supposed to find Lee a likable (patriotic, dedicated, intelligent) character OR an unlikable (fighting for slavery, morose, rigid) character. Make sure to use specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)