|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tragedy has just befallen Jackson when the novel opens?
2. What kind of teacher is Jackson portrayed as?
3. After Chamberlain's first battle, when does Lee's army withdraw?
4. What happens to McClellan after he withdraws from Richmond?
5. Who is General Twiggs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jackson win the Second Battle of Bull Run?
2. What responsibility does Lee give Jackson when Jackson comes to him seeking an assignment in Virginia's forces?
3. How does Jackson respond to his students' questions during his lectures when he is first introduced in the novel?
4. Where is Lee's family estate located?
5. What do Chamberlain and Sergeant Kilrain discuss during their first march to Washington?
6. Why do both the northern and southern armies take a break from fighting after the Battle of Bull Run?
7. What dumb mistake does Chamberlain make that nearly gets him killed during his first battle?
8. What happens to Lee's belongings while he is in Texas after the election?
9. What is tricky about Hancock's arrive in Yorktown before the first battle over Richmond?
10. What happens after Lincoln comes to visit McClellan on the battlefield?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Shaara portrays authority figures in "Gods and Generals," making sure to use at least 3 specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Describe at least 4 ways that the novel is changed -- either positively or negatively -- by having such detailed battle scenes. Use specific examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least 3 ways that the violence and/or battle scenes in "Gods and Generals" are gratuitously violent and why such violence takes away from the plot and/or rest of the text.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)