|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Lee back once Texas votes to secede?
2. Who is General Johnston when the Civil War resumes after the Battle of Bull Run?
3. Contrary to media reports, how many men does John Brown have with him during his "uprising"?
4. What rank does Lee make Jackson when he comes seeking an appointment?
5. Where does Lee order Jackson to get his troops before the Second Battle of Bull Run?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Lee and Longstreet on their way to meet up with Jackson before the Second Battle of Bull Run?
2. What happens at Mina's party?
3. How successful is Chamberlain during his hunting trip when he is first introduced in the text?
4. How do the leaders of Bowdoin College respond to Chamberlain's speech to his students about joining the war?
5. What advice does Jackson's pastor give him for dealing with the death of his newborn daughter?
6. What happens during the time when General Scott offers Lee the chance to be second in command of the union army and when Lee chooses to resign?
7. What dumb mistake does Chamberlain make that nearly gets him killed during his first battle?
8. What happens when Lee's horse spooks after the Second Battle of Bull Run?
9. How does Chamberlain's wife respond to the news that he has joined the army?
10. What responsibility does Lee give Jackson when Jackson comes to him seeking an assignment in Virginia's forces?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least 3 challenges an author like Shaara faces when writing historical fiction. Make sure to use at least 3 examples from "Gods and Generals" to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least 3 reasons why "Gods and Generals" could be classified in a genre other than historical fiction, making sure to use specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Shaara portrays authority figures in "Gods and Generals," making sure to use at least 3 specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)