|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the regiment Chamberlain joins?
2. What happens to McClellan after he withdraws from Richmond?
3. Where would Chamberlain have gone had he become a soldier instead of an academic?
4. Who is Lewis Armistead?
5. Where is John Brown from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at Mina's party?
2. How does Chamberlain's wife respond to the news that he has joined the army?
3. How successful is Chamberlain during his hunting trip when he is first introduced in the text?
4. How does Jackson win the Second Battle of Bull Run?
5. What happens after Lincoln comes to visit McClellan on the battlefield?
6. What causes Hancock to suffer defeat after he is promoted to command of a division mid-battle?
7. Why is Colonel Ames's message from McClellan about how victorious their battle is received poorly?
8. What does Chamberlain see when he returns to the hilltop where he was nearly killed in his first battle?
9. What advice does Jackson's pastor give him for dealing with the death of his newborn daughter?
10. Why do Dr. Junkin and Jackson disagree about the forthcoming civil war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Shaara portrays authority figures in "Gods and Generals," making sure to use at least 3 specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Historical fiction, and "Gods and Generals" in particular, are an especially popular type of novel. Discuss at least 4 aspects of Shaara's writing style that resonates so strongly with such a large audience, citing specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Identify what you think is the tone for "Gods and Generals" and discuss 3 literary devices that Shaara uses to create this tone.
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)