|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives as back-up for Hancock as he is guarding his charge?
2. When does Virginia secede from the union?
3. Who wins the Second Battle of Bull Run?
4. Who is Kilrain?
5. When do the armies resume fighting after the Battle of Bull Run?
Short Essay Questions
1. How successful is Chamberlain during his hunting trip when he is first introduced in the text?
2. What responsibility does Lee give Jackson when Jackson comes to him seeking an assignment in Virginia's forces?
3. How do Hancock and his men end up attacking Richmond?
4. What kind of expectations are made clear when Lee is given command of Virginia's provisional army?
5. What happens during the time when General Scott offers Lee the chance to be second in command of the union army and when Lee chooses to resign?
6. What happens to Lee's belongings while he is in Texas after the election?
7. What does Chamberlain see when he returns to the hilltop where he was nearly killed in his first battle?
8. Why do Dr. Junkin and Jackson disagree about the forthcoming civil war?
9. How did Lee win the first battle over Richmond?
10. Why do both the northern and southern armies take a break from fighting after the Battle of Bull Run?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least 3 literary devices that Shaara uses to help the reader better understand at least one character of your choosing. Use direct quotations and/or examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Historical fiction, and "Gods and Generals" in particular, are an especially popular type of novel. Discuss at least 4 aspects of Shaara's writing style that resonates so strongly with such a large audience, citing specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least 3 challenges an author like Shaara faces when writing historical fiction. Make sure to use at least 3 examples from "Gods and Generals" to support your position.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)