Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do the armies resume fighting after the Battle of Bull Run?
2. Who does General Johnston resign to fight for?
3. What does Major Armistead ask in a message to Hancock after Hancock meets with Hamilton?
4. Where does McClellan keep his army after Lee retreats?
5. Who is Lewis Armistead?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Lee's family estate located?
2. What kind of expectations are made clear when Lee is given command of Virginia's provisional army?
3. What does Chamberlain see when he returns to the hilltop where he was nearly killed in his first battle?
4. What does the Secretary of War order Lee to do after he summons him?
5. Why do Dr. Junkin and Jackson disagree about the forthcoming civil war?
6. What happens to Lee, physically, soon after the battle at Fredericksburg?
7. What is Lee's plan, after Chancellorsville, for his troops?
8. What happens to Hancock's unit during the attack at Fredericksburg?
9. In what situation does Lee learn that Texas wants to secede from the union?
10. What causes Hancock to suffer defeat after he is promoted to command of a division mid-battle?
Describe at least 4 ways that the novel is changed -- either positively or negatively -- by having such detailed battle scenes. Use specific examples from the text to support your argument.
Discuss at least 3 challenges an author like Shaara faces when writing historical fiction. Make sure to use at least 3 examples from "Gods and Generals" to support your position.
Discuss at least 4 aspects of "Gods and Generals" that can easily be carried over into a second novel chronicling the main characters' involvement in the Civil War.
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)