|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Chamberlain's job at Bowdoin College?
2. Who does not respond well to the news that Chamberlain has joined a regiment?
3. Who is Lieutenant Walter Taylor?
4. Who serves as a protective force to make sure there is no trouble during John Brown's execution?
5. What animal is Chamberlain hunting when the novel opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Confederacy energized by the Battle of Bull Run?
2. What dumb mistake does Chamberlain make that nearly gets him killed during his first battle?
3. Why is Colonel Ames's message from McClellan about how victorious their battle is received poorly?
4. What happens to Lee's belongings while he is in Texas after the election?
5. How does Jackson win the Second Battle of Bull Run?
6. How do Hancock and his men end up attacking Richmond?
7. What do Chamberlain and Sergeant Kilrain discuss during their first march to Washington?
8. What kind of expectations are made clear when Lee is given command of Virginia's provisional army?
9. How successful is Chamberlain during his hunting trip when he is first introduced in the text?
10. Who is Mr. Hamilton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Historical fiction, and "Gods and Generals" in particular, are an especially popular type of novel. Discuss at least 4 aspects of Shaara's writing style that resonates so strongly with such a large audience, citing specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast 2 characters of your choosing from the "Gods and Generals," making sure to use direct evidence and examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Identify what you think is the tone for "Gods and Generals" and discuss 3 literary devices that Shaara uses to create this tone.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)