|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is General George McClellan?
(a) The vice president.
(b) The man in charge of Washington's forces.
(c) Commander of the Union army.
(d) Commander of the Confederate army.
2. What does Jackson do with his wife before he rides off to war with the Corps of Cadets?
(a) Go on a quick vacation.
(d) Eat a nice dinner out.
3. What does Hancock tell his men to do when they (appear to) retreat from their attack on Richmond?
(a) Play their drums extra loud.
(b) Walk, not run.
(c) Walk backwards so no one shoots them in the back.
(d) Look as panicked as they can.
4. After he is put in command of the Confederate Army, who does Lee put in charge of his two corps?
(a) Johnson and Longfellow.
(b) Johnston and Larkspur.
(c) Jackson and Longstreet.
(d) Barton and Gen. Davis.
5. What is Chamberlain's job at Bowdoin College?
(c) He is just a student there.
(d) Vice President.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hancock told will happen if Lincoln wins the election?
2. What kind of hostess is Mira described as?
3. Where does Lee first meet with the governor of Virginia?
4. Who tells the regiment that McClellan thinks they won a great victory even though they took heavy losses?
5. Where is Chamberlain nearly killed during his first battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what situation does Lee learn that Texas wants to secede from the union?
2. Why do Dr. Junkin and Jackson disagree about the forthcoming civil war?
3. What tension exists in California (in addition to the possibility of civil war) when Hancock is introduced into the text?
4. How does Jackson respond to his students' questions during his lectures when he is first introduced in the novel?
5. How does Chamberlain's wife respond to the news that he has joined the army?
6. What happens after Lincoln comes to visit McClellan on the battlefield?
7. What advice does Jackson's pastor give him for dealing with the death of his newborn daughter?
8. What dumb mistake does Chamberlain make that nearly gets him killed during his first battle?
9. How does Jackson win the Second Battle of Bull Run?
10. What kind of expectations are made clear when Lee is given command of Virginia's provisional army?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)