|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long do Hancock and his men have to wait until attacking Richmond (once they arrive into position)?
(a) Nearly a year.
(b) One week.
(c) Only one day.
(d) Nearly a month.
2. What does Lee have to do after he transitions Virginia's forces into the main army?
(a) Not much.
(b) Train them all on hand-to-hand combat.
(c) Get them all to learn how to read and write.
(d) Convince them to take a cut in pay.
3. How does Chamberlain feel about Bowdoin's students volunteering to fight in the war?
(a) He thinks it is a waste.
(b) He supports them.
(c) He thinks they should do so, but only after they graduate.
(d) He thinks it should be mandatory.
4. What tragedy has just befallen Jackson when the novel opens?
(a) His wife has died.
(b) He has just been fired.
(c) His newborn daughter has died.
(d) He has learned that he is very sick.
5. What rank does Lee make Jackson when he comes seeking an appointment?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hancock in charge of when he is first introduced in the novel?
2. Why does Johnston come to Los Angeles when Hancock and Armistead are still there?
3. How are Lee's hands injured?
4. Who is Jefferson Davis?
5. Where is Hancock posted when he is first introduced in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How successful is Chamberlain during his hunting trip when he is first introduced in the text?
2. What happens to Lee and Longstreet on their way to meet up with Jackson before the Second Battle of Bull Run?
3. How does Jackson respond to his students' questions during his lectures when he is first introduced in the novel?
4. What happens at Mina's party?
5. What responsibility does Lee give Jackson when Jackson comes to him seeking an assignment in Virginia's forces?
6. What has the Union Army done during its first attack on Richmond?
7. What advice does Jackson's pastor give him for dealing with the death of his newborn daughter?
8. What does Armistead tell Hancock at Mina's party?
9. What happens after Lincoln comes to visit McClellan on the battlefield?
10. What tension exists in California (in addition to the possibility of civil war) when Hancock is introduced into the text?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)