|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What rank does Lee make Jackson when he comes seeking an appointment?
2. What does the governor give Chamberlain after he comes to visit?
(a) A stern warning about visiting unannounced.
(b) The second in command job of a new regiment.
(c) A nice bottle of brandy.
(d) A medal of honor.
3. What position is Lee offered in the US military as the civil war threatens to start?
(a) None; he quits before anyone can make him an offer.
(b) First in command.
(c) None; he is fired.
(d) Second in command.
4. Where does Hancock's brigade unload as part of the army attacking Richmond?
(a) Hayes Valley.
(b) Washington, D.C.
(c) New York City.
(d) Outside of Yorktown.
5. Who is General Twiggs?
(a) Lee's brother.
(b) Lee's brother-in-law.
(c) Lee's commander.
(d) Lee's father-in-law.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who delivers the request from the Secretary of War to Lee?
2. What happens to Johnston before he loses command of the army?
3. Which side does Hancock decide to fight for?
4. Who is Dr. Junkin?
5. Who is General John Pope?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads President Davis to relieve Johnston from his command?
2. What happens after Lincoln comes to visit McClellan on the battlefield?
3. What does Armistead tell Hancock at Mina's party?
4. What does the Secretary of War order Lee to do after he summons him?
5. Who is Mr. Hamilton?
6. Why is Lee initially disappointed with his promotion to Brigadier General?
7. What happens during the time when General Scott offers Lee the chance to be second in command of the union army and when Lee chooses to resign?
8. What does Chamberlain see when he returns to the hilltop where he was nearly killed in his first battle?
9. What tension exists in California (in addition to the possibility of civil war) when Hancock is introduced into the text?
10. What causes Hancock to suffer defeat after he is promoted to command of a division mid-battle?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)