|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Hancock finally arrive in Washington to begin serving in the war?
(a) A few weeks before the Battle of Bull Run.
(b) Right as President Lincoln is assassinated.
(c) Right as the Battle of Bull Run is taking place.
(d) A few weeks after the Battle of Bull Run.
2. What rank does Lee make Jackson when he comes seeking an appointment?
3. Where is Chamberlain hunting when the novel opens up?
4. Who is Lieutenant Walter Taylor?
(a) Lee's new aide once he becomes commander of Virginia's forces.
(b) A spy for the north that only the reader knows about.
(c) Lee's most trusted military adviser.
(d) Lee's brother-in-law.
5. What tragedy has just befallen Jackson when the novel opens?
(a) He has just been fired.
(b) His newborn daughter has died.
(c) He has learned that he is very sick.
(d) His wife has died.
Short Answer Questions
1. What provides McClellan with yet another excuse to keep his troops stationary after Lee retreats?
2. Who arrives as back-up for Hancock as he is guarding his charge?
3. What does Lee have to do after he transitions Virginia's forces into the main army?
4. When does Hancock get promoted to command of a division?
5. In the first battle over Richmond, how many men does Jackson have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Chamberlain and Sergeant Kilrain discuss during their first march to Washington?
2. Why is Colonel Ames's message from McClellan about how victorious their battle is received poorly?
3. How does Chamberlain's wife respond to the news that he has joined the army?
4. How successful is Chamberlain during his hunting trip when he is first introduced in the text?
5. How do the leaders of Bowdoin College respond to Chamberlain's speech to his students about joining the war?
6. What does Chamberlain see when he returns to the hilltop where he was nearly killed in his first battle?
7. How does Jackson respond to his students' questions during his lectures when he is first introduced in the novel?
8. What happens to Lee's belongings while he is in Texas after the election?
9. What happens at Mina's party?
10. How do Hancock and his men end up attacking Richmond?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)