|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Chamberlain's first battle, when does Lee's army withdraw?
(a) When Chamberlain starts leading his men down a hill in a loud charge.
(b) Just as the fighting gets rough.
(c) At the sound of cannons.
(d) At night.
2. Who is Kilrain?
(a) Chamberlain's enemy.
(b) Chamberlain's brother.
(c) One of Chamberlain's sargeants.
(d) Chamberlain's personal assistant.
3. Who is Mira?
(a) Hancock's daughter.
(b) Hancock's mother.
(c) Hancock's sister.
(d) Hancock's wife.
4. How long does McClellan keep his army inactive after Lee's retreat?
(a) Nearly 6 months.
(b) Several weeks.
(c) Several months.
(d) Only 1 day.
5. Where would Chamberlain have gone had he become a soldier instead of an academic?
(a) He wouldn't have gone to college at all.
(b) West Point.
(c) Virginia Tech.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lewis Armistead?
2. When does "Gods and Generals" begin?
3. Who is Sam Houston?
4. Who is General John Pope?
5. What provides McClellan with yet another excuse to keep his troops stationary after Lee retreats?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Lincoln comes to visit McClellan on the battlefield?
2. Why is the Confederacy energized by the Battle of Bull Run?
3. How do the leaders of Bowdoin College respond to Chamberlain's speech to his students about joining the war?
4. What happens to Lee and Longstreet on their way to meet up with Jackson before the Second Battle of Bull Run?
5. Where is Lee's family estate located?
6. What happens during the time when General Scott offers Lee the chance to be second in command of the union army and when Lee chooses to resign?
7. What does Armistead tell Hancock at Mina's party?
8. Who is Mr. Hamilton?
9. What responsibility does Lee give Jackson when Jackson comes to him seeking an assignment in Virginia's forces?
10. What leads President Davis to relieve Johnston from his command?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)