|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hancock expect to be ordered to do after he is promoted to command of a division?
(d) Move to Washington, DC.
2. Why does Johnston come to Los Angeles when Hancock and Armistead are still there?
(a) To try to make it in the movie industry before war breaks out.
(b) To try to convince them to join his side.
(c) To get as far away from the fighting as possible.
(d) To move permanently.
3. Who visits McClellan has he and his troops stay put after Lee retreats?
(a) President Lincoln.
(b) General Lee.
(c) President Davis.
(d) General Chamberlain.
4. What does Houston tell Lee when they first meet?
(a) That if California secedes, the army will resist.
(b) That if Texas secedes, the army will not resist.
(c) That if California secedes, the army will not resist.
(d) That if Texas secedes, the army will resist.
5. Where is Chamberlain hunting when the novel opens up?
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Virginia secede from the union?
2. Who does not respond well to the news that Chamberlain has joined a regiment?
3. Who is in charge of the U.S. forces when Texas secedes?
4. Why must Hancock wait so long for orders?
5. Who is J.E.B. Stuart when he is first introduced.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Dr. Junkin and Jackson disagree about the forthcoming civil war?
2. What tension exists in California (in addition to the possibility of civil war) when Hancock is introduced into the text?
3. Why is Lee initially disappointed with his promotion to Brigadier General?
4. What advice does Jackson's pastor give him for dealing with the death of his newborn daughter?
5. What does Armistead tell Hancock at Mina's party?
6. What happens when Lee's horse spooks after the Second Battle of Bull Run?
7. What happens at Mina's party?
8. What does the Secretary of War order Lee to do after he summons him?
9. What causes Hancock to suffer defeat after he is promoted to command of a division mid-battle?
10. How do the leaders of Bowdoin College respond to Chamberlain's speech to his students about joining the war?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)