|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Hancock wait so long to get orders from during his time in Los Angeles?
(a) From Washington.
(b) From Virginia.
(c) From the governor of California.
(d) From Texas.
2. What command does the governor of Virginia give Lee when they first meet?
(a) Command of Richmond's provisional army.
(b) Command of Arlington's provisional army.
(c) Command of Virginia's provisional army.
(d) He makes him his own personal assistant.
3. Who is Lieutenant Walter Taylor?
(a) Lee's brother-in-law.
(b) A spy for the north that only the reader knows about.
(c) Lee's most trusted military adviser.
(d) Lee's new aide once he becomes commander of Virginia's forces.
4. How long does McClellan keep his army inactive after Lee's retreat?
(a) Several months.
(b) Only 1 day.
(c) Nearly 6 months.
(d) Several weeks.
5. Who is General John Pope?
(a) The man who replaces McClellan as commander of the Union Army.
(b) An imaginary character the newspapers create.
(c) Lee's wife in disguise as a military man.
(d) Lee's best military adviser.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hancock expect to be ordered to do after he is promoted to command of a division?
2. What is the name of the regiment Chamberlain joins?
3. After Chamberlain's first battle, when does Lee's army withdraw?
4. How many troops does McClellan tell Hancock Lincoln has called for as the war begins?
5. When do the armies resume fighting after the Battle of Bull Run?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads President Davis to relieve Johnston from his command?
2. Why do both the northern and southern armies take a break from fighting after the Battle of Bull Run?
3. What ends up happening to John Brown after his insurrection?
4. What happens during the time when General Scott offers Lee the chance to be second in command of the union army and when Lee chooses to resign?
5. What does the Secretary of War order Lee to do after he summons him?
6. Why is Colonel Ames's message from McClellan about how victorious their battle is received poorly?
7. How does Jackson respond to his students' questions during his lectures when he is first introduced in the novel?
8. What tension exists in California (in addition to the possibility of civil war) when Hancock is introduced into the text?
9. Why do Dr. Junkin and Jackson disagree about the forthcoming civil war?
10. Where is Lee's family estate located?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)