|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Johnston come to Los Angeles when Hancock and Armistead are still there?
(a) To move permanently.
(b) To get as far away from the fighting as possible.
(c) To try to convince them to join his side.
(d) To try to make it in the movie industry before war breaks out.
2. Where does Hancock's brigade unload as part of the army attacking Richmond?
(a) Hayes Valley.
(b) New York City.
(c) Outside of Yorktown.
(d) Washington, D.C.
3. What animal is Chamberlain hunting when the novel opens?
4. Who travels with Lee en route to meet up with Jackson before the Second Battle of Bull Run?
5. When do Hancock and his men attack Richmond?
(a) In May.
(b) In January.
(c) In December.
(d) In August.
Short Answer Questions
1. What provides McClellan with yet another excuse to keep his troops stationary after Lee retreats?
2. What is Chamberlain and his men's assignment during their first battle?
3. Who arrives as back-up for Hancock as he is guarding his charge?
4. Who is General George McClellan?
5. What event leaves Lee in charge of his family estate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chamberlain's wife respond to the news that he has joined the army?
2. Why do both the northern and southern armies take a break from fighting after the Battle of Bull Run?
3. What happens after Lincoln comes to visit McClellan on the battlefield?
4. What happens during the time when General Scott offers Lee the chance to be second in command of the union army and when Lee chooses to resign?
5. What has the Union Army done during its first attack on Richmond?
6. Why is Colonel Ames's message from McClellan about how victorious their battle is received poorly?
7. How did Lee win the first battle over Richmond?
8. How do the leaders of Bowdoin College respond to Chamberlain's speech to his students about joining the war?
9. Where is Lee's family estate located?
10. What tension exists in California (in addition to the possibility of civil war) when Hancock is introduced into the text?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)