|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is General Johnston when the Civil War resumes after the Battle of Bull Run?
(a) The vice president of the Confederacy.
(b) The president of the Confederacy.
(c) The commander of the Confederate Army.
(d) Lee's personal assistant.
2. How long does McClellan keep his army inactive after Lee's retreat?
(a) Only 1 day.
(b) Several weeks.
(c) Nearly 6 months.
(d) Several months.
3. What command does the governor of Virginia give Lee when they first meet?
(a) Command of Arlington's provisional army.
(b) Command of Richmond's provisional army.
(c) Command of Virginia's provisional army.
(d) He makes him his own personal assistant.
4. Where is Hancock posted when he is first introduced in the novel?
(a) In the frontier city of Los Angeles.
(b) In Tijuana, guarding the Mexican/American border.
(c) In the frontier city of Boise, Idaho.
(d) In Mexico City.
5. What tragedy has just befallen Jackson when the novel opens?
(a) He has learned that he is very sick.
(b) His wife has died.
(c) His newborn daughter has died.
(d) He has just been fired.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Chamberlain's job at Bowdoin College?
2. What animal is Chamberlain hunting when the novel opens?
3. What does Jackson do with his wife before he rides off to war with the Corps of Cadets?
4. What army does Lee belong to when he is first introduce in "Gods and Generals"?
5. What does Chamberlain ask the governor when he goes to the state capital after leaving Bowdoin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ends up happening to John Brown after his insurrection?
2. What happens to Lee's belongings while he is in Texas after the election?
3. How does Jackson win the Second Battle of Bull Run?
4. How did Lee win the first battle over Richmond?
5. What happens after Lincoln comes to visit McClellan on the battlefield?
6. What dumb mistake does Chamberlain make that nearly gets him killed during his first battle?
7. What advice does Jackson's pastor give him for dealing with the death of his newborn daughter?
8. What causes Hancock to suffer defeat after he is promoted to command of a division mid-battle?
9. Where is Lee's family estate located?
10. How does Jackson respond to his students' questions during his lectures when he is first introduced in the novel?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)