|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who arrives with Longstreet and his troops across the Rappahannock River?
(a) General Washington.
(b) General Lee.
(c) General Davis.
(d) General Chamberlain.
2. What surprised Jackson about the swamp he left alone during the battle of Fredericksburg?
(a) It is frozen solid.
(b) It has crocodiles in it.
(c) It has poisonous snakes.
(d) It has a secret bridge for the soldiers to cross.
3. What do the final forces in Fredericksburg finally do to Lee's remaining small force there?
(a) Drive them off of the hills.
(b) Kill them all.
(c) Send them to jail as prisoners of war.
4. What to Lee and Jackson use to help them find a road that leads toward the Federal troops outside of Chancellorsville?
(a) A compass.
(b) A human guide.
(c) A written guide.
(d) A map.
5. What is Jackson worried the Union soldiers will use as an escape route from the battle at Chancellorsville?
(a) The Rappahannock River.
(b) The tunnels they dug the previous winter.
(c) Boats and canoes.
(d) The Susquehannah Mountains.
6. Where does Hancock assemble his troops to prepare for the battle at Fredericksburg?
(a) Right outside of town.
(b) Inside town.
(c) At the local college.
(d) In the forest and at night, so no one sees them.
7. How does Burnside try to redeem himself after Fredericksburg?
(a) By writing his autobiography.
(b) By talking to a reporter about how it's not his fault.
(c) By moving his forces south.
(d) By moving his forces north.
8. From whose point of view is the letter written that informs Lee that his wife has had a baby girl?
(a) His mother's.
(b) The baby's.
(d) His wife's.
9. What kinds of men are killed as the Union army tries to set up bridges to cross the Rappahannock River?
(a) The engineers.
(b) The bodyguards.
(c) The slaves being forced to build the bridge.
(d) Men on horseback.
10. How does Jackson feel before the battle near Fredericksburg?
(a) This is a trick question; he doesn't know the battle is coming.
(b) That he is going to die on the battlefield.
(d) Very confident.
11. What happens to Colonel Ames during the battle of Fredericksburg?
(a) He is called away to take command of another unit.
(b) He is exposed as a traitor.
(c) He runs away in terror.
(d) He is killed.
12. Where are Lee's army located near Fredericksburg after the battle of Chancellorsville?
(a) In a large field they took over from a farmer.
(b) In the homes of the residents.
(c) In government buildings and inns.
(d) Throughout the thick woods.
13. How many divisions does Lee leave behind to defend the hills overlooking Fredericksburg when he leaves toward Chancellorsville?
(d) Only one.
14. Why is the battle of Fredericksburg significant for the Twentieth Maine?
(a) No one is even wounded in it.
(b) Everyone dies in it.
(c) It's their last major battle.
(d) It's their first major battle.
15. When is Hancock told that Hooker has been wounded during the attack on Chancellorsville?
(a) Just as he loses his hearing from a loud explosion.
(b) Just as he is wounded himself.
(c) Just as his men make a strong defense.
(d) Just as his forces begin to flee.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Jane when Jackson befriends her?
2. What slows Hancock's men's advancement toward Fredericksburg?
3. What major icon is Hancock hoping to storm during the battle of Fredericksburg?
4. When does Jackson order his last division into battle at Chancellorsville?
5. Who shares Sumner's concern about General Burnside's plan to cross the river.
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)