|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Union men initially think they will encounter around Chancellorsville?
(a) Just skirmishers.
(b) A new kind of cannon they have only read about.
(c) Lee's entire army.
(d) Only a batallion or two.
2. What is Chamberlain's brother promoted to after Fredericksburg?
(b) Vice President.
3. What slows Hancock's men's advancement toward Fredericksburg?
(b) Fences, a canal, and a horrible snow storm.
(c) Fences and a canal.
(d) A canal.
4. How do Jackson's wounds heal initially?
(a) Almost miraculously, they heal nearly overnight.
(b) Very well.
(c) Very badly.
(d) Very slowly and painfully.
5. What do Jackson's men do after they hear of his death?
(a) Resign from the army in protest.
(b) Give the rebel yell.
(c) Take a moment of silence.
(d) Line up for miles outside his home.
6. When does Jackson think Burnside will start the attack across the Rappahannock River?
(a) February 12.
(b) May 12.
(c) December 12.
(d) April 12.
7. What must the Union army must way their way out of as the move against the Confederates around Chancellorsville?
(a) Thick, tangled forests.
(b) A mequito infestation.
(c) Very thick mud.
(d) A swarm of locusts.
8. Who is A.P. Hill in relation to Jackson?
(a) His boss.
(b) His colleague.
(c) His subordinate.
(d) His brother.
9. What surprised Jackson about the swamp he left alone during the battle of Fredericksburg?
(a) It has poisonous snakes.
(b) It has crocodiles in it.
(c) It has a secret bridge for the soldiers to cross.
(d) It is frozen solid.
10. Where does Hancock go to warn people that Lee must be up to something during the battle at Chancellorsville?
(b) Back to his tent.
(c) The telegraph office.
(d) The telegram office.
11. Where does Davis order Lee to send troops after Fredericksburg?
(a) To attack the White House.
(b) To spend the summer off, relaxing in Florida.
(c) To defend Texas.
(d) To defend Georgia and the Carolinas.
12. What role in the battle of Chancellorsville do Hancock's men play once Hooker is wounded?
(a) Front-line attack.
(b) Front-line defense.
(c) Rear guard.
(d) Rear attack.
13. What does Hancock lose during the battle of Chancellorsville?
(a) His Bible.
(b) A beloved letter from his wife.
(c) His left arm.
(d) His horse.
14. Who shares Sumner's concern about General Burnside's plan to cross the river.
(b) Nearly everyone.
15. Through what does Jackson see General Howard during the initial attack outside of Chancellorsville?
(a) The fog.
(b) Heavy, heavy rain.
(c) An eyescope.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is General Oliver Howard in command of?
2. What happens to the war in VIrginia after the battle at Fredericksburg?
3. What are the Union troops commanded to do at Chancellorsville once Hooker has been wounded?
4. Who arrives with Longstreet and his troops across the Rappahannock River?
5. What do the Union men actually encounter around Chancellorsville?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)