|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Jackson and Lee react when they see the Union army stop in its tracks around Chancellorsville?
(a) They are confused.
(b) They are kind and send a letter asking for peace.
(c) They celebrate immediately.
(d) They are relieved.
2. What unit is Chamberlain put in charge of after Fredericksburg?
(a) The Twentieth Maine, the Seventeenth Vermont, and the Twelfth New York.
(b) The Twentieth Maine and the Seventeenth Vermont.
(c) The Twentieth Maine.
(d) All of the Union forces.
3. How do the Union troops initially respond to the Confederate attack outside of Chancellorsville?
(a) They start their music before fighting.
(b) They use bows and arrows.
(c) They retreat.
(d) They charge at the Confederates as the cannons are firing.
4. Why does the Union army retreat and create a defensive line around Chancellorsville?
(a) Because someone misread a telegram.
(b) Because they received orders to do so.
(c) Because they are sustaining very heavy losses.
(d) Because they have been told to defend Chancellorsville at all costs.
5. What do the Union men initially think they will encounter around Chancellorsville?
(a) Just skirmishers.
(b) A new kind of cannon they have only read about.
(c) Lee's entire army.
(d) Only a batallion or two.
6. What surprised Jackson about the swamp he left alone during the battle of Fredericksburg?
(a) It has poisonous snakes.
(b) It is frozen solid.
(c) It has a secret bridge for the soldiers to cross.
(d) It has crocodiles in it.
7. What happens to the war in VIrginia after the battle at Fredericksburg?
(a) Virginia decide to rejoin the union.
(b) It comes to a standstill.
(c) It becomes even more intense.
(d) It stops for a month of mourning.
8. What slows Hancock's men's advancement toward Fredericksburg?
(a) Fences, a canal, and a horrible snow storm.
(b) A canal.
(c) Fences and a canal.
9. Where does Jackson take up headquarters after Fredericksburg?
(a) The city hall.
(b) An abandoned farm house that used to belong to John Adams.
(c) The city library.
(d) The home of John Corbin.
10. Who let's Longstreet and his corps know that he will soon arrive across the Rappahannock to help with defense?
11. Where is Jackson wounded during the battle at Chancellorsville?
(a) Shoulder, hand, and leg.
(b) Shoulder and hand.
12. Why is the battle of Fredericksburg significant for the Twentieth Maine?
(a) It's their first major battle.
(b) It's their last major battle.
(c) Everyone dies in it.
(d) No one is even wounded in it.
13. Where does Davis order Lee to send troops after Fredericksburg?
(a) To defend Texas.
(b) To spend the summer off, relaxing in Florida.
(c) To attack the White House.
(d) To defend Georgia and the Carolinas.
14. How many divisions does Lee leave behind to defend the hills overlooking Fredericksburg when he leaves toward Chancellorsville?
(c) Only one.
15. What does Jackson dream of while recovering from his war wounds?
(a) His childhood.
(c) His parents.
(d) Being back home with his wife and daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is in charge of the Confederate men after Jackson and Hill are no longer able to command the troops?
2. What is Jackson worried the Union soldiers will use as an escape route from the battle at Chancellorsville?
3. After Lee leaves Virginia after Fredericksburg, how much of the army is left to defend the river?
4. What promotion does Chamberlain receive after Fredericksburg?
5. How old is Jane when Jackson befriends her?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)