|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jackson order his troops to do about the gap by the swamp during the battle of Fredericksburg?
(a) Plug it.
(b) Exploit it.
(c) Ignore it.
(d) Distract the enemy from it.
2. When is Hancock told that Hooker has been wounded during the attack on Chancellorsville?
(a) Just as he loses his hearing from a loud explosion.
(b) Just as he is wounded himself.
(c) Just as his forces begin to flee.
(d) Just as his men make a strong defense.
3. When does Jackson order his last division into battle at Chancellorsville?
(a) After breakfast.
(b) At lunchtime.
(c) At nightfall.
(d) Before breakfast.
4. How does Burnside try to redeem himself after Fredericksburg?
(a) By talking to a reporter about how it's not his fault.
(b) By writing his autobiography.
(c) By moving his forces south.
(d) By moving his forces north.
5. What must the Union army must way their way out of as the move against the Confederates around Chancellorsville?
(a) A swarm of locusts.
(b) Very thick mud.
(c) A mequito infestation.
(d) Thick, tangled forests.
6. What kinds of men are killed as the Union army tries to set up bridges to cross the Rappahannock River?
(a) The bodyguards.
(b) Men on horseback.
(c) The slaves being forced to build the bridge.
(d) The engineers.
7. Who is left in charge of the Twentieth Maine when Colonel Ames is no longer available?
(a) Chamberlain takes over.
(b) The unit takes heavy casualties because they have lost their leadership.
(c) The unit collapses.
(d) The troops rejoice.
8. What battle are the Confederate troops heading toward when "Gods and Generals" concludes?
(b) A battle with polio.
(c) No battle; the war is over.
(d) The Battle of Waterloo.
9. Where are Lee's army located near Fredericksburg after the battle of Chancellorsville?
(a) In government buildings and inns.
(b) In a large field they took over from a farmer.
(c) In the homes of the residents.
(d) Throughout the thick woods.
10. What is General Oliver Howard in command of?
(a) The Eleventh Corps of the Union Army.
(b) A small batch of cavlary men.
(c) A small batch of infantrymen.
(d) Coordinating communications between all of the troops.
11. What happens to Colonel Ames during the battle of Fredericksburg?
(a) He is killed.
(b) He runs away in terror.
(c) He is called away to take command of another unit.
(d) He is exposed as a traitor.
12. What does Howard order his men to do for defense outside of Chancellorsville?
(a) Set up the cannons.
(b) Dig trenches.
(d) Build walls.
13. How do Jackson's wounds heal initially?
(a) Very well.
(b) Almost miraculously, they heal nearly overnight.
(c) Very slowly and painfully.
(d) Very badly.
14. What does Jackson do before telling his troops to charge outside of Chancellorsville?
(a) Write a goodbye letter to his wife.
(b) Pray for 30 minutes.
(c) March around the Union lines.
(d) Have too much to drink.
15. Where does Davis order Lee to send troops after Fredericksburg?
(a) To defend Texas.
(b) To defend Georgia and the Carolinas.
(c) To attack the White House.
(d) To spend the summer off, relaxing in Florida.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jackson worried the Union soldiers will use as an escape route from the battle at Chancellorsville?
2. What do Jackson's men do after they hear of his death?
3. Who is in charge of the Confederate men after Jackson and Hill are no longer able to command the troops?
4. What do the final forces in Fredericksburg finally do to Lee's remaining small force there?
5. How does Jackson feel before the battle near Fredericksburg?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)