|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hancock think about why the Confederates are attacking him with such a small force outside of Chancellorsville?
(a) He is terrified about it.
(b) It's exactly what he expected would happen.
(c) He finds it laughable.
(d) He finds it confusing.
2. What does Jackson order his troops to do about the gap by the swamp during the battle of Fredericksburg?
(a) Exploit it.
(b) Distract the enemy from it.
(c) Plug it.
(d) Ignore it.
3. Who is left in charge of the Twentieth Maine when Colonel Ames is no longer available?
(a) Chamberlain takes over.
(b) The troops rejoice.
(c) The unit collapses.
(d) The unit takes heavy casualties because they have lost their leadership.
4. Who is A.P. Hill in relation to Jackson?
(a) His boss.
(b) His brother.
(c) His colleague.
(d) His subordinate.
5. What is Jackson worried the Union soldiers will use as an escape route from the battle at Chancellorsville?
(a) The Rappahannock River.
(b) Boats and canoes.
(c) The tunnels they dug the previous winter.
(d) The Susquehannah Mountains.
6. Who shares Sumner's concern about General Burnside's plan to cross the river.
(d) Nearly everyone.
7. Who does Lee immediately tell the good news to when he learns his wife has given birth to a baby girl?
(c) No one.
8. What kinds of men are killed as the Union army tries to set up bridges to cross the Rappahannock River?
(a) The bodyguards.
(b) The engineers.
(c) Men on horseback.
(d) The slaves being forced to build the bridge.
9. After Lee leaves Virginia after Fredericksburg, how much of the army is left to defend the river?
(a) Less than half.
(b) Less than one-quarter.
(c) Nearly all; he only took one unit.
(d) Less than one-third.
10. What battle are the Confederate troops heading toward when "Gods and Generals" concludes?
(a) A battle with polio.
(b) No battle; the war is over.
(d) The Battle of Waterloo.
11. Why does Hooker decide to have his men stop attacking around Chancellorsville?
(a) He has gone insane.
(b) He wants to wait for reinforcements.
(c) He knows he is greatly outnumbered.
(d) He has lost his nerve.
12. How do Jackson and Lee react when they see the Union army stop in its tracks around Chancellorsville?
(a) They are confused.
(b) They celebrate immediately.
(c) They are kind and send a letter asking for peace.
(d) They are relieved.
13. Why can't Lee launch one final attack against the Union troops in Fredericksburg?
(a) The men refuse to follow his orders any longer.
(b) He is assassinated.
(c) He is called away to another battle.
(d) They have escaped by the time he attacks.
14. What promotion does Chamberlain receive after Fredericksburg?
(a) From General to Colonel.
(b) From Lieutenant Colonel to Colonel.
(c) From Colonel to General.
(d) From Colonel to Lieutenant Colonel.
15. What does Jackson see General Howard doing for his men during the initial attack outside of Chancellorsville?
(a) Trying to rally them.
(b) Praying with his men.
(c) Killing those who are badly wounded so they don't suffer needlessly.
(d) Taking care of the wounded.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is in charge of the Confederate men after Jackson and Hill are no longer able to command the troops?
2. Why is the battle of Fredericksburg significant for the Twentieth Maine?
3. What happens to the war in VIrginia after the battle at Fredericksburg?
4. How does Jackson feel before the battle near Fredericksburg?
5. What unit is Chamberlain put in charge of after Fredericksburg?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)