|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hancock tell his men to do when they (appear to) retreat from their attack on Richmond?
(a) Walk, not run.
(b) Play their drums extra loud.
(c) Look as panicked as they can.
(d) Walk backwards so no one shoots them in the back.
2. How many troops does McClellan tell Hancock Lincoln has called for as the war begins?
3. What does the governor give Chamberlain after he comes to visit?
(a) A nice bottle of brandy.
(b) A medal of honor.
(c) A stern warning about visiting unannounced.
(d) The second in command job of a new regiment.
4. What does Mr. Hamilton do for a living?
(a) Provides ammunition to the military.
(b) Owns and runs a newspaper.
(c) Rubs elbows with famous, rich people.
5. How is John Brown executed?
(a) By hanging.
(b) By lethal injection.
(c) By rifle.
(d) By drowning.
6. Who finally relieves McClellan of command for the last time?
(a) President Chamberlain.
(b) President Davis.
(c) President Washington.
(d) President Lincoln.
7. How long does it take Lee and his army to defeat the army that threatened Richmond from the east?
(a) One day.
(b) Seven months.
(c) Six months.
(d) Seven days.
8. Who is General John Pope?
(a) Lee's wife in disguise as a military man.
(b) The man who replaces McClellan as commander of the Union Army.
(c) An imaginary character the newspapers create.
(d) Lee's best military adviser.
9. What does Lee have to do after he transitions Virginia's forces into the main army?
(a) Convince them to take a cut in pay.
(b) Get them all to learn how to read and write.
(c) Not much.
(d) Train them all on hand-to-hand combat.
10. Who calls Lee back once Texas votes to secede?
11. What does Chamberlain ask the governor when he goes to the state capital after leaving Bowdoin?
(a) For some mercy for his family.
(b) For a law that will allow people like him to serve more easily.
(c) For a passport.
(d) For a commission in the army.
12. When does Hancock get promoted to command of a division?
(a) Never; this is a trick question.
(b) On his birthday.
(c) In the middle of a battle.
(d) As a surprise during a dinner party.
13. In the first battle over Richmond, how many men does the Union have?
14. Who trains Chamberlain and his regiment?
(a) Colonel Avery.
(b) Colonel Annex.
(c) Colonel Ames.
(d) Colonel Arms.
15. Who serves as a protective force to make sure there is no trouble during John Brown's execution?
(a) The Virginia Military Academy faculty.
(b) The Virginia Military Academy students.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) The Virginia Military Academy staff.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Chamberlain's job at Bowdoin College?
2. What delays the Union Army in the north during the first battle over Richmond?
3. How long does Chamberlain's regiment have to train until it is sent to Washington?
4. Who is Sam Houston?
5. Where does Jackson teach when he is first introduced in "Gods and Generals"?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)