|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What position is Lee offered in the US military as the civil war threatens to start?
(a) First in command.
(b) None; he is fired.
(c) None; he quits before anyone can make him an offer.
(d) Second in command.
2. Who arrives as back-up for Hancock as he is guarding his charge?
(a) Both the U.S. infantry and his friends from town.
(b) His friends from town.
(c) The U.S. infantry.
(d) Neither his friends nor the infantry.
3. What event leaves Lee in charge of his family estate?
(a) The death of his father.
(b) The death of his mother.
(c) The death of his mother-in-law.
(d) The death of his father-in-law.
4. What does Lee have to do after he transitions Virginia's forces into the main army?
(a) Train them all on hand-to-hand combat.
(b) Get them all to learn how to read and write.
(c) Convince them to take a cut in pay.
(d) Not much.
5. Where does McClellan keep his army after Lee retreats?
(a) On the Antietam battlefield.
(b) In residential houses in Richmond.
(c) On boats on the Potomac.
(d) In the forest, mostly for shelter.
6. What does Mr. Hamilton do for a living?
(a) Rubs elbows with famous, rich people.
(b) Owns and runs a newspaper.
(d) Provides ammunition to the military.
7. Which side does Armistead decide to fight for?
(b) The North.
(c) The South.
(d) He actually decides to be a spy.
8. How long do Hancock and his men have to wait until attacking Richmond (once they arrive into position)?
(a) Only one day.
(b) Nearly a month.
(c) One week.
(d) Nearly a year.
9. What command does the governor of Virginia give Lee when they first meet?
(a) Command of Richmond's provisional army.
(b) Command of Arlington's provisional army.
(c) He makes him his own personal assistant.
(d) Command of Virginia's provisional army.
10. What position does Davis first promote Lee to?
(a) Lieutenant Colonel.
(b) Four-Star General.
(c) Master General.
(d) Brigadier General.
11. Who is General Twiggs?
(a) Lee's brother.
(b) Lee's brother-in-law.
(c) Lee's father-in-law.
(d) Lee's commander.
12. Who is Sam Houston?
(a) The governor of Texas.
(b) The governor of California.
(c) The mayor of the town that will later be called Houston.
(d) The mayor of Los Angeles.
13. What is Hancock told will happen if Lincoln wins the election?
(a) That he will be assassinated.
(b) That civil war will break out.
(c) That civil war will be avoided.
(d) That Hancock will be promoted.
14. What has left Lee's wife crippled?
(a) An accident.
(c) A heart attack.
15. How does Lee finally find out about how the Battle of Bull Run went?
(a) From a telegram.
(b) From a conversation in a coffee shop.
(c) From the radio.
(d) From a soldier departing a train.
Short Answer Questions
1. How could McClellan's military strategy best be defined?
2. Where does Jackson teach when he is first introduced in "Gods and Generals"?
3. Who is General George McClellan?
4. What is the name of the regiment Chamberlain joins?
5. When does Virginia secede from the union?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)