|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Johnston wish to defend Richmond when it comes under attack from the Union?
(a) This is a trick question; Richmond never comes under attack.
(b) By advancing more.
(c) By fleeing so his forces can attack under cover of darkness.
(d) By retreating more.
2. What does Hamilton tell Hancock the new state of California will be called?
(a) The Great Nationstate of California.
(b) The California Republic.
(d) The Great Nation of California.
3. How long does it take Lee and his army to defeat the army that threatened Richmond from the east?
(a) Seven months.
(b) Seven days.
(c) One day.
(d) Six months.
4. What provides McClellan with yet another excuse to keep his troops stationary after Lee retreats?
(a) Poor morale.
(b) Bad weather.
(d) A fortune-teller's omen.
5. Who is General Twiggs?
(a) Lee's commander.
(b) Lee's father-in-law.
(c) Lee's brother-in-law.
(d) Lee's brother.
6. What happens to Johnston before he loses command of the army?
(a) He is tried for treason.
(b) He flees in the middle of battle.
(c) He is killed.
(d) He is wounded.
7. What does Houston tell Lee when they first meet?
(a) That if California secedes, the army will not resist.
(b) That if Texas secedes, the army will not resist.
(c) That if California secedes, the army will resist.
(d) That if Texas secedes, the army will resist.
8. What animal is Chamberlain hunting when the novel opens?
9. What does Lee have to do after he transitions Virginia's forces into the main army?
(a) Train them all on hand-to-hand combat.
(b) Convince them to take a cut in pay.
(c) Not much.
(d) Get them all to learn how to read and write.
10. Which side does Hancock decide to fight for?
(b) The South.
(c) The North.
(d) He actually decides to be a spy.
11. Who is in charge of the U.S. forces when Texas secedes?
(a) General Lee.
(b) No one at first because things are very chaotic.
(c) General Winfield Scott.
(d) General Washington.
12. Who is Dr. Junkin?
(a) An old neighbor of Jackson's.
(b) Jackson's former father-in-law.
(c) Jackson's father.
(d) An old military colleague of Jackson's.
13. How does Lee finally find out about how the Battle of Bull Run went?
(a) From a soldier departing a train.
(b) From a telegram.
(c) From the radio.
(d) From a conversation in a coffee shop.
14. Where does Hancock wait so long to get orders from during his time in Los Angeles?
(a) From Washington.
(b) From Texas.
(c) From Virginia.
(d) From the governor of California.
15. Why does Johnston come to Los Angeles when Hancock and Armistead are still there?
(a) To try to convince them to join his side.
(b) To try to make it in the movie industry before war breaks out.
(c) To move permanently.
(d) To get as far away from the fighting as possible.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does not respond well to the news that Chamberlain has joined a regiment?
2. Who finally relieves McClellan of command for the last time?
3. During what war does "Gods and Generals" take place?
4. Who delivers the request from the Secretary of War to Lee?
5. How long do Hancock and his men have to wait until attacking Richmond (once they arrive into position)?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)