|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many troops does McClellan tell Hancock Lincoln has called for as the war begins?
2. How does Chamberlain feel about Bowdoin's students volunteering to fight in the war?
(a) He thinks it is a waste.
(b) He thinks it should be mandatory.
(c) He thinks they should do so, but only after they graduate.
(d) He supports them.
3. What does Mr. Hamilton do for a living?
(a) Rubs elbows with famous, rich people.
(b) Owns and runs a newspaper.
(d) Provides ammunition to the military.
4. Who is General George McClellan?
(a) The vice president.
(b) Commander of the Confederate army.
(c) The man in charge of Washington's forces.
(d) Commander of the Union army.
5. What kind of teacher is Jackson portrayed as?
(a) One his students all admire.
(b) An awkward one.
(c) An amazing one.
(d) One who is very receptive to student feedback.
6. Who is Chamberlain surprised to see when he sets up camp with his new regiment?
(a) His brother-in-law.
(b) His grown son.
(c) His brother.
(d) His father.
7. What does Chamberlain ask the governor when he goes to the state capital after leaving Bowdoin?
(a) For a commission in the army.
(b) For some mercy for his family.
(c) For a passport.
(d) For a law that will allow people like him to serve more easily.
8. What does Johnston cut off to Richmond during the first battle for control over the city?
(a) All communication.
(b) The water supply.
(c) All electricity.
(d) The food supply.
9. What does Major Armistead ask in a message to Hancock after Hancock meets with Hamilton?
(a) That he never be contacted again.
(b) That he be sent reinforcements right away.
(c) That he be invited to dinner.
(d) That he be allowed to marry Hancock's daughter.
10. Where does Hancock wait so long to get orders from during his time in Los Angeles?
(a) From Virginia.
(b) From Texas.
(c) From Washington.
(d) From the governor of California.
11. How are Lee's hands injured?
(a) They suffer from frostbite because he refuses to leave his troops.
(b) He has really bad arthritis.
(c) In a horse accident.
(d) He is shot.
12. In the first battle over Richmond, how many men does Jackson have?
13. What event leaves Lee in charge of his family estate?
(a) The death of his father.
(b) The death of his mother-in-law.
(c) The death of his mother.
(d) The death of his father-in-law.
14. When does Hancock finally arrive in Washington to begin serving in the war?
(a) Right as the Battle of Bull Run is taking place.
(b) A few weeks after the Battle of Bull Run.
(c) A few weeks before the Battle of Bull Run.
(d) Right as President Lincoln is assassinated.
15. Where is Chamberlain nearly killed during his first battle?
(a) In a trench.
(b) In the back of a wagon.
(c) At the top of a hill.
(d) On horseback.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jackson do with his wife before he rides off to war with the Corps of Cadets?
2. Who arrives as back-up for Hancock as he is guarding his charge?
3. Who is Kilrain?
4. What does Houston tell Lee when they first meet?
5. What happens to Johnston before he loses command of the army?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)