|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hancock tell his men to do when they (appear to) retreat from their attack on Richmond?
(a) Walk, not run.
(b) Walk backwards so no one shoots them in the back.
(c) Look as panicked as they can.
(d) Play their drums extra loud.
2. Where is Chamberlain nearly killed during his first battle?
(a) At the top of a hill.
(b) In a trench.
(c) On horseback.
(d) In the back of a wagon.
3. On what date does the presidential election take place?
(a) November 6, 1886.
(b) November 6, 1900.
(c) November 6, 1845.
(d) November 6, 1860.
4. How long do Hancock and his men have to wait until attacking Richmond (once they arrive into position)?
(a) Only one day.
(b) One week.
(c) Nearly a month.
(d) Nearly a year.
5. What has left Lee's wife crippled?
(a) An accident.
(b) A heart attack.
6. Who is Chamberlain surprised to see when he sets up camp with his new regiment?
(a) His brother-in-law.
(b) His grown son.
(c) His brother.
(d) His father.
7. When does Hancock get promoted to command of a division?
(a) In the middle of a battle.
(b) As a surprise during a dinner party.
(c) Never; this is a trick question.
(d) On his birthday.
8. Why does Johnston come to Los Angeles when Hancock and Armistead are still there?
(a) To get as far away from the fighting as possible.
(b) To move permanently.
(c) To try to convince them to join his side.
(d) To try to make it in the movie industry before war breaks out.
9. What happens to McClellan after he withdraws from Richmond?
(a) He is sent to Europe on a diplomatic mission.
(b) He dies.
(c) He decides to fight for the south.
(d) He is relieved of command.
10. Who is General Johnston when the Civil War resumes after the Battle of Bull Run?
(a) The commander of the Confederate Army.
(b) Lee's personal assistant.
(c) The vice president of the Confederacy.
(d) The president of the Confederacy.
11. During what war does "Gods and Generals" take place?
(a) The Revolutionary War.
(b) The Mexican Civil War.
(c) World War I.
(d) The American Civil War.
12. What command does the governor of Virginia give Lee when they first meet?
(a) Command of Virginia's provisional army.
(b) Command of Richmond's provisional army.
(c) He makes him his own personal assistant.
(d) Command of Arlington's provisional army.
13. Who tells the regiment that McClellan thinks they won a great victory even though they took heavy losses?
(a) General Chamberlain.
(b) General Washinton.
(c) Colonel Ames.
(d) Sargeant Pepper.
14. How long does Chamberlain's regiment have to train until it is sent to Washington?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) One week.
(c) One year.
(d) One month.
15. Where is Chamberlain hunting when the novel opens up?
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does Davis first promote Lee to?
2. What kind of hostess is Mira described as?
3. What does Johnston cut off to Richmond during the first battle for control over the city?
4. What does Jackson do with his wife before he rides off to war with the Corps of Cadets?
5. How could McClellan's military strategy best be defined?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)