|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Hancock wait so long to get orders from during his time in Los Angeles?
(a) From the governor of California.
(b) From Texas.
(c) From Washington.
(d) From Virginia.
2. What does Hancock tell his men to do when they (appear to) retreat from their attack on Richmond?
(a) Walk, not run.
(b) Walk backwards so no one shoots them in the back.
(c) Look as panicked as they can.
(d) Play their drums extra loud.
3. Who is Sam Houston?
(a) The mayor of the town that will later be called Houston.
(b) The governor of Texas.
(c) The governor of California.
(d) The mayor of Los Angeles.
4. Where is Hancock posted when he is first introduced in the novel?
(a) In Tijuana, guarding the Mexican/American border.
(b) In Mexico City.
(c) In the frontier city of Boise, Idaho.
(d) In the frontier city of Los Angeles.
5. What does the governor give Chamberlain after he comes to visit?
(a) A medal of honor.
(b) The second in command job of a new regiment.
(c) A stern warning about visiting unannounced.
(d) A nice bottle of brandy.
6. Who finally relieves McClellan of command for the last time?
(a) President Lincoln.
(b) President Washington.
(c) President Chamberlain.
(d) President Davis.
7. Where does Lee first meet with the governor of Virginia?
(a) Washington, D.C.
(c) His estate.
8. What tragedy has just befallen Jackson when the novel opens?
(a) His newborn daughter has died.
(b) His wife has died.
(c) He has just been fired.
(d) He has learned that he is very sick.
9. When does "Gods and Generals" begin?
(a) A few years before the war.
(b) Near the end of the war.
(c) A few years into the war.
(d) After the war.
10. What has left Lee's wife crippled?
(a) A heart attack.
(b) An accident.
11. What is Chamberlain and his men's assignment during their first battle?
(a) To be on the front line.
(b) To scout out the other side's locations.
(c) To stay in reserve.
(d) To pose as spies.
12. What happens that allows for Hancock to be promoted to command of a division?
(a) He passes his training classes.
(b) He starts rumors about other people competing for his job.
(c) Another general is killed.
(d) He pays the officer wanting the bribe in exchange for the promotion.
13. What is Hancock told will happen if Lincoln wins the election?
(a) That civil war will break out.
(b) That he will be assassinated.
(c) That Hancock will be promoted.
(d) That civil war will be avoided.
14. Who trains Chamberlain and his regiment?
(a) Colonel Ames.
(b) Colonel Arms.
(c) Colonel Annex.
(d) Colonel Avery.
15. How are Lee's hands injured?
(a) He is shot.
(b) In a horse accident.
(c) They suffer from frostbite because he refuses to leave his troops.
(d) He has really bad arthritis.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do the armies resume fighting after the Battle of Bull Run?
2. How long does it take Lee and his army to defeat the army that threatened Richmond from the east?
3. What does Chamberlain ask the governor when he goes to the state capital after leaving Bowdoin?
4. What command does the governor of Virginia give Lee when they first meet?
5. Who is Lieutenant Walter Taylor?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)