|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take Lee and his army to defeat the army that threatened Richmond from the east?
(a) One day.
(b) Six months.
(c) Seven days.
(d) Seven months.
2. What is Hancock told will happen if Lincoln wins the election?
(a) That he will be assassinated.
(b) That civil war will be avoided.
(c) That civil war will break out.
(d) That Hancock will be promoted.
3. What does Major Armistead ask in a message to Hancock after Hancock meets with Hamilton?
(a) That he be allowed to marry Hancock's daughter.
(b) That he never be contacted again.
(c) That he be sent reinforcements right away.
(d) That he be invited to dinner.
4. Who does General Johnston resign to fight for?
(a) Whoever offers him a bigger promotion.
(b) No one; he doesn't want any part of the war.
(c) The Confederacy.
(d) The Union.
5. What army does Lee belong to when he is first introduce in "Gods and Generals"?
(a) The U.S. Army.
(b) None; this is a trick question.
(c) The Confederacy.
(d) The Mexican Army.
6. During what war does "Gods and Generals" take place?
(a) World War I.
(b) The Revolutionary War.
(c) The Mexican Civil War.
(d) The American Civil War.
7. Who is Sam Houston?
(a) The mayor of Los Angeles.
(b) The mayor of the town that will later be called Houston.
(c) The governor of Texas.
(d) The governor of California.
8. Where does Jackson teach when he is first introduced in "Gods and Generals"?
(a) Virginia Tech.
(c) The Virginia Military Academy.
(d) The U.S. Naval Academy.
9. When does Hancock get promoted to command of a division?
(a) Never; this is a trick question.
(b) On his birthday.
(c) As a surprise during a dinner party.
(d) In the middle of a battle.
10. How are Jackson's soldiers described during the Battle of Bull Run?
(a) Fleeing like "the true cowards that they are."
(b) Standing "strong" but falling "like God's children."
(c) Standing like a "stone wall."
(d) Running into battle "like moths toward a flame."
11. What is Chamberlain and his men's assignment during their first battle?
(a) To stay in reserve.
(b) To pose as spies.
(c) To be on the front line.
(d) To scout out the other side's locations.
12. What does Mr. Hamilton do for a living?
(a) Provides ammunition to the military.
(b) Rubs elbows with famous, rich people.
(c) Owns and runs a newspaper.
13. What event leaves Lee in charge of his family estate?
(a) The death of his father-in-law.
(b) The death of his mother.
(c) The death of his father.
(d) The death of his mother-in-law.
14. Why must Hancock wait so long for orders?
(a) So he knows how much money he can leave his wife before he goes.
(b) So that he can know which side he is supposed to fight for.
(c) Because he is a spy now so he needs all the information he can get.
(d) Because he does not know what to do or where to go until they arrive.
15. Where does Lee first meet with the governor of Virginia?
(b) Washington, D.C.
(d) His estate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hancock's brigade unload as part of the army attacking Richmond?
2. What does Hamilton tell Hancock the new state of California will be called?
3. After the first attack on Richmond, what do Lee and Davis do to see what is going on with the troops?
4. What has left Lee's wife crippled?
5. What happens to Johnston before he loses command of the army?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)