|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Dr. Junkin?
(a) Jackson's father.
(b) Jackson's former father-in-law.
(c) An old military colleague of Jackson's.
(d) An old neighbor of Jackson's.
2. Where does Hancock wait so long to get orders from during his time in Los Angeles?
(a) From Texas.
(b) From Washington.
(c) From Virginia.
(d) From the governor of California.
3. What does Houston tell Lee when they first meet?
(a) That if Texas secedes, the army will resist.
(b) That if California secedes, the army will not resist.
(c) That if California secedes, the army will resist.
(d) That if Texas secedes, the army will not resist.
4. What is Chamberlain's job at Bowdoin College?
(a) He is just a student there.
(c) Vice President.
5. What does the governor give Chamberlain after he comes to visit?
(a) The second in command job of a new regiment.
(b) A medal of honor.
(c) A stern warning about visiting unannounced.
(d) A nice bottle of brandy.
6. When does Hancock finally arrive in Washington to begin serving in the war?
(a) Right as the Battle of Bull Run is taking place.
(b) A few weeks after the Battle of Bull Run.
(c) A few weeks before the Battle of Bull Run.
(d) Right as President Lincoln is assassinated.
7. What kind of teacher is Jackson portrayed as?
(a) An amazing one.
(b) One who is very receptive to student feedback.
(c) An awkward one.
(d) One his students all admire.
8. Who is Sam Houston?
(a) The governor of California.
(b) The mayor of Los Angeles.
(c) The governor of Texas.
(d) The mayor of the town that will later be called Houston.
9. How long do Hancock and his men have to wait until attacking Richmond (once they arrive into position)?
(a) Nearly a year.
(b) One week.
(c) Only one day.
(d) Nearly a month.
10. How long does McClellan keep his army inactive after Lee's retreat?
(a) Only 1 day.
(b) Several months.
(c) Several weeks.
(d) Nearly 6 months.
11. What is Hancock told will happen if Lincoln wins the election?
(a) That civil war will break out.
(b) That civil war will be avoided.
(c) That Hancock will be promoted.
(d) That he will be assassinated.
12. Who does General Johnston resign to fight for?
(a) The Union.
(b) Whoever offers him a bigger promotion.
(c) The Confederacy.
(d) No one; he doesn't want any part of the war.
13. Who is General John Pope?
(a) Lee's wife in disguise as a military man.
(b) The man who replaces McClellan as commander of the Union Army.
(c) An imaginary character the newspapers create.
(d) Lee's best military adviser.
14. Who is Lewis Armistead?
(a) An old friend of Hancock's.
(b) An old friend of Jackson's.
(c) An old friend of Chamberlain's.
(d) An old friend of Lee's.
15. When do Hancock and his men attack Richmond?
(a) In May.
(b) In December.
(c) In January.
(d) In August.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lee first meet with the governor of Virginia?
2. How are Jackson's soldiers described during the Battle of Bull Run?
3. Where does Jackson teach when he is first introduced in "Gods and Generals"?
4. Who tells the regiment that McClellan thinks they won a great victory even though they took heavy losses?
5. Where does McClellan keep his army after Lee retreats?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)