|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does McClellan keep his army inactive after Lee's retreat?
(a) Only 1 day.
(b) Nearly 6 months.
(c) Several months.
(d) Several weeks.
2. Where is Chamberlain hunting when the novel opens up?
3. Which side does Hancock decide to fight for?
(a) The South.
(c) He actually decides to be a spy.
(d) The North.
4. What position does Davis first promote Lee to?
(a) Master General.
(b) Brigadier General.
(c) Lieutenant Colonel.
(d) Four-Star General.
5. After the first attack on Richmond, what do Lee and Davis do to see what is going on with the troops?
(a) Send out spies.
(b) Order field reports.
(c) Head to the front lines.
(d) Go undercover.
6. What army does Lee belong to when he is first introduce in "Gods and Generals"?
(a) The Mexican Army.
(b) The U.S. Army.
(c) None; this is a trick question.
(d) The Confederacy.
7. Who is Kilrain?
(a) One of Chamberlain's sargeants.
(b) Chamberlain's personal assistant.
(c) Chamberlain's enemy.
(d) Chamberlain's brother.
8. Who is Chamberlain surprised to see when he sets up camp with his new regiment?
(a) His brother-in-law.
(b) His father.
(c) His grown son.
(d) His brother.
9. After Chamberlain's first battle, when does Lee's army withdraw?
(a) Just as the fighting gets rough.
(b) At night.
(c) At the sound of cannons.
(d) When Chamberlain starts leading his men down a hill in a loud charge.
10. Who visits McClellan has he and his troops stay put after Lee retreats?
(a) President Lincoln.
(b) General Chamberlain.
(c) General Lee.
(d) President Davis.
11. What does Johnston cut off to Richmond during the first battle for control over the city?
(a) All communication.
(b) The food supply.
(c) All electricity.
(d) The water supply.
12. Who does General Johnston resign to fight for?
(a) The Union.
(b) No one; he doesn't want any part of the war.
(c) The Confederacy.
(d) Whoever offers him a bigger promotion.
13. What kind of teacher is Jackson portrayed as?
(a) One his students all admire.
(b) An awkward one.
(c) An amazing one.
(d) One who is very receptive to student feedback.
14. What does Hancock tell his men to do when they (appear to) retreat from their attack on Richmond?
(a) Walk, not run.
(b) Play their drums extra loud.
(c) Look as panicked as they can.
(d) Walk backwards so no one shoots them in the back.
15. Who is General Johnston when the Civil War resumes after the Battle of Bull Run?
(a) The vice president of the Confederacy.
(b) The commander of the Confederate Army.
(c) The president of the Confederacy.
(d) Lee's personal assistant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does not respond well to the news that Chamberlain has joined a regiment?
2. Where does Lee first meet with the governor of Virginia?
3. What tragedy has just befallen Jackson when the novel opens?
4. Who trains Chamberlain and his regiment?
5. Where is the Union trying to bring troops in from before the Second Battle of Bull Run?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)