|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does McClellan keep his army inactive after Lee's retreat?
(a) Several weeks.
(b) Nearly 6 months.
(c) Only 1 day.
(d) Several months.
2. What rank does Lee hold when he is first introduced in "Gods and Generals"?
3. Where does Lee order Jackson to get his troops before the Second Battle of Bull Run?
(a) Into the creeks for safety.
(b) Into the mountains of Hayes Valley.
(c) In the Shenandoah Hills.
(d) Between the Union army and Washington.
4. How could McClellan's military strategy best be defined?
5. Who is General Twiggs?
(a) Lee's brother.
(b) Lee's father-in-law.
(c) Lee's brother-in-law.
(d) Lee's commander.
6. What rank does Lee make Jackson when he comes seeking an appointment?
7. What does Houston tell Lee when they first meet?
(a) That if California secedes, the army will not resist.
(b) That if Texas secedes, the army will resist.
(c) That if Texas secedes, the army will not resist.
(d) That if California secedes, the army will resist.
8. After he is put in command of the Confederate Army, who does Lee put in charge of his two corps?
(a) Johnston and Larkspur.
(b) Johnson and Longfellow.
(c) Jackson and Longstreet.
(d) Barton and Gen. Davis.
9. During what war does "Gods and Generals" take place?
(a) World War I.
(b) The Revolutionary War.
(c) The American Civil War.
(d) The Mexican Civil War.
10. Who is Jefferson Davis?
(a) The main commander of Virginia's forces.
(b) The President of the Union.
(c) The President of the Confederacy.
(d) The mayor of Richmond.
11. Who is J.E.B. Stuart when he is first introduced.
(a) Lee's personal assistant.
(b) Lee's cavalry commander.
(c) The Confederate Secretary of War.
(d) Lee's secretary.
12. What happens that allows for Hancock to be promoted to command of a division?
(a) He passes his training classes.
(b) He pays the officer wanting the bribe in exchange for the promotion.
(c) Another general is killed.
(d) He starts rumors about other people competing for his job.
13. How are Jackson's soldiers described during the Battle of Bull Run?
(a) Fleeing like "the true cowards that they are."
(b) Standing "strong" but falling "like God's children."
(c) Running into battle "like moths toward a flame."
(d) Standing like a "stone wall."
14. How many troops does McClellan tell Hancock Lincoln has called for as the war begins?
15. Where is Hancock posted when he is first introduced in the novel?
(a) In Tijuana, guarding the Mexican/American border.
(b) In Mexico City.
(c) In the frontier city of Los Angeles.
(d) In the frontier city of Boise, Idaho.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why must Hancock wait so long for orders?
2. Who is Chamberlain surprised to see when he sets up camp with his new regiment?
3. When does Hancock get promoted to command of a division?
4. When do Hancock and his men attack Richmond?
5. What does Hancock tell his men to do when they (appear to) retreat from their attack on Richmond?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)