|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chamberlain ask the governor when he goes to the state capital after leaving Bowdoin?
(a) For a commission in the army.
(b) For some mercy for his family.
(c) For a passport.
(d) For a law that will allow people like him to serve more easily.
2. How long does Chamberlain's regiment have to train until it is sent to Washington?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) One week.
(c) One month.
(d) One year.
3. Who is Kilrain?
(a) Chamberlain's personal assistant.
(b) Chamberlain's enemy.
(c) Chamberlain's brother.
(d) One of Chamberlain's sargeants.
4. Who is Dr. Junkin?
(a) An old military colleague of Jackson's.
(b) An old neighbor of Jackson's.
(c) Jackson's father.
(d) Jackson's former father-in-law.
5. What rank does Lee make Jackson when he comes seeking an appointment?
6. Who is General George McClellan?
(a) The man in charge of Washington's forces.
(b) Commander of the Confederate army.
(c) Commander of the Union army.
(d) The vice president.
7. What event leaves Lee in charge of his family estate?
(a) The death of his mother-in-law.
(b) The death of his father.
(c) The death of his father-in-law.
(d) The death of his mother.
8. What does one of Lee's freed slaves request?
(a) That he be allowed to fight for the North.
(b) That he be allowed to still work for Lee.
(c) That he be allowed to buy his brother.
(d) That he be allowed to travel to Canada.
9. Where does Lee order Jackson to get his troops before the Second Battle of Bull Run?
(a) Into the mountains of Hayes Valley.
(b) In the Shenandoah Hills.
(c) Between the Union army and Washington.
(d) Into the creeks for safety.
10. How are Lee's hands injured?
(a) He is shot.
(b) In a horse accident.
(c) He has really bad arthritis.
(d) They suffer from frostbite because he refuses to leave his troops.
11. Where is Chamberlain hunting when the novel opens up?
12. Who serves as a protective force to make sure there is no trouble during John Brown's execution?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) The Virginia Military Academy staff.
(c) The Virginia Military Academy faculty.
(d) The Virginia Military Academy students.
13. Who wins the Second Battle of Bull Run?
(a) The Confederacy.
(b) The Union.
(c) This is a trick question; there is no Second Battle of Bull Run.
(d) No one; it is a draw.
14. What happens to McClellan after he withdraws from Richmond?
(a) He dies.
(b) He is sent to Europe on a diplomatic mission.
(c) He decides to fight for the south.
(d) He is relieved of command.
15. Where is John Brown from?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Chamberlain and his men's assignment during their first battle?
2. Who finally relieves McClellan of command for the last time?
3. Who is Jefferson Davis?
4. What happens to Johnston before he loses command of the army?
5. What position does Davis first promote Lee to?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)