|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has left Lee's wife crippled?
(a) A heart attack.
(d) An accident.
2. When does "Gods and Generals" begin?
(a) A few years into the war.
(b) After the war.
(c) Near the end of the war.
(d) A few years before the war.
3. When do the armies resume fighting after the Battle of Bull Run?
(a) Spring of 1962.
(b) Spring of 1862.
(c) Fall of 1962.
(d) Fall of 1862.
4. Where does Lee order Jackson to get his troops before the Second Battle of Bull Run?
(a) In the Shenandoah Hills.
(b) Into the mountains of Hayes Valley.
(c) Between the Union army and Washington.
(d) Into the creeks for safety.
5. Where is Hancock posted when he is first introduced in the novel?
(a) In the frontier city of Boise, Idaho.
(b) In Mexico City.
(c) In Tijuana, guarding the Mexican/American border.
(d) In the frontier city of Los Angeles.
6. How long does it take Lee and his army to defeat the army that threatened Richmond from the east?
(a) Seven days.
(b) Six months.
(c) One day.
(d) Seven months.
7. Who is Kilrain?
(a) Chamberlain's brother.
(b) One of Chamberlain's sargeants.
(c) Chamberlain's personal assistant.
(d) Chamberlain's enemy.
8. Who does not respond well to the news that Chamberlain has joined a regiment?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) The governor.
(c) His mother.
(d) His wife.
9. Who is Chamberlain surprised to see when he sets up camp with his new regiment?
(a) His father.
(b) His grown son.
(c) His brother-in-law.
(d) His brother.
10. Who is General John Pope?
(a) An imaginary character the newspapers create.
(b) Lee's wife in disguise as a military man.
(c) Lee's best military adviser.
(d) The man who replaces McClellan as commander of the Union Army.
11. How do the Union troops under McClellan withdraw from their attack of Richmond?
(a) In the middle of the night.
(b) By sea.
(c) By horseback.
(d) By tank.
12. What does Jackson do with his wife before he rides off to war with the Corps of Cadets?
(b) Go on a quick vacation.
(d) Eat a nice dinner out.
13. Who does General Johnston resign to fight for?
(a) No one; he doesn't want any part of the war.
(b) Whoever offers him a bigger promotion.
(c) The Confederacy.
(d) The Union.
14. Why does Johnston come to Los Angeles when Hancock and Armistead are still there?
(a) To try to convince them to join his side.
(b) To get as far away from the fighting as possible.
(c) To try to make it in the movie industry before war breaks out.
(d) To move permanently.
15. What does Johnston cut off to Richmond during the first battle for control over the city?
(a) The water supply.
(b) The food supply.
(c) All electricity.
(d) All communication.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promotion does McClellan give Hancock when Hancock first arrives in Washington?
2. Who is General Twiggs?
3. Where are Jackson and his men posted when Richmond comes under attack in the early part of the war?
4. Who travels with Lee en route to meet up with Jackson before the Second Battle of Bull Run?
5. Where would Chamberlain have gone had he become a soldier instead of an academic?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)