|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Hamilton do for a living?
(a) Rubs elbows with famous, rich people.
(c) Owns and runs a newspaper.
(d) Provides ammunition to the military.
2. Where are Jackson and his men posted when Richmond comes under attack in the early part of the war?
(a) The Shenandoah Valley.
(b) Hayes Valley.
(c) In Alabama, trying to get to the battle as fast as possible.
(d) Still stuck in Texas.
3. What position does Davis first promote Lee to?
(a) Brigadier General.
(b) Master General.
(c) Four-Star General.
(d) Lieutenant Colonel.
4. Who is Chamberlain surprised to see when he sets up camp with his new regiment?
(a) His father.
(b) His brother-in-law.
(c) His grown son.
(d) His brother.
5. Where is Bowdoin College located?
6. Where does McClellan keep his army after Lee retreats?
(a) In the forest, mostly for shelter.
(b) In residential houses in Richmond.
(c) On boats on the Potomac.
(d) On the Antietam battlefield.
7. How is John Brown executed?
(a) By drowning.
(b) By lethal injection.
(c) By hanging.
(d) By rifle.
8. How long does it take Lee and his army to defeat the army that threatened Richmond from the east?
(a) Seven days.
(b) One day.
(c) Seven months.
(d) Six months.
9. What does Hamilton tell Hancock the new state of California will be called?
(a) The Great Nation of California.
(c) The California Republic.
(d) The Great Nationstate of California.
10. When does Hancock get promoted to command of a division?
(a) In the middle of a battle.
(b) As a surprise during a dinner party.
(c) On his birthday.
(d) Never; this is a trick question.
11. Who is General Johnston when the Civil War resumes after the Battle of Bull Run?
(a) The president of the Confederacy.
(b) The vice president of the Confederacy.
(c) Lee's personal assistant.
(d) The commander of the Confederate Army.
12. Where does Lee first meet with the governor of Virginia?
(b) Washington, D.C.
(c) His estate.
13. In the first battle over Richmond, how many men does the Union have?
14. What animal is Chamberlain hunting when the novel opens?
15. What rank does Lee hold when he is first introduced in "Gods and Generals"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to McClellan after he withdraws from Richmond?
2. Who tells the regiment that McClellan thinks they won a great victory even though they took heavy losses?
3. Which side does Hancock decide to fight for?
4. Where is Chamberlain nearly killed during his first battle?
5. How are Jackson's soldiers described during the Battle of Bull Run?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)