|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Jesu walk barefoot to that causes Godric to walk barefoot for the rest of his life?
2. What sort of brigands accost Godric and his friends on the way back from Christmas mass in Durham?
3. What happens to the man who steals sixteen eggs from Falkes de Granvill?
4. What does Godric want God to anoint so that he may be a better person for Burcwen?
5. Who says farewell to Godric on his last trip to Farne?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Godric bid his feet to do and why?
2. How does Godric perceive his acts in the service of Falkes de Granvill after his conversation with Hedwic?
3. How does Godric forgive Aedlward for being a distant father?
4. What does Godric say of faith, hope, and charity? Why does he say this?
5. What are Godric's thoughts as he listens to the monks sing at Christmas mass in Durham?
6. When Reginald is writing in his book about Godric's service with Falkes de Granvill, how does he judge the noble lord as Godric tells his story? How does this reflect Reginald's belief that all men are essentially good?
7. What is the truth about Burcwen's feelings for William? What does she call him?
8. Describe the apparition that Godric sees when he prays to the Mother Mary.
9. What happened fifty years before when Ranulf Flambard brought Cuthbert's bones to Durham?
10. What does Reginald say of Godric's newly-acquired ability to read and write?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the martyrdom of Peregrine Small. What is he like as a person? How is he a friend of Godric's? What happens to cause his martyrdom?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Godric's adventures with Roger Mouse. What impact does Godric's friendship with Roger Mouse have on him? What does he learn about human nature from this relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Godric's encounter with Bishop Flambard at the school where he works. What is the conflict with their values? Why does Bishop Flambard criticize Godric?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)