|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the school where Godric finally learns his letters?
2. Godric doubts that Elric has washed since _____.
3. What does Godric want God to anoint so that he may be a better person for Burcwen?
4. What does Godric believe is the ape that gibbers in one's loins?
5. The church where Godric meets Elric is rumored to be built from _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened fifty years before when Ranulf Flambard brought Cuthbert's bones to Durham?
2. What is Godric's description of Perkin?
3. How does Godric describe the Wear River and what is its significance to him?
4. Why does Godric choose the church near Bishop Auckland to give away his fortune?
5. Describe the apparition that Godric sees when he prays to the Mother Mary.
6. Describe the antics of the choirboys at the church where Godric works.
7. When Reginald is writing in his book about Godric's service with Falkes de Granvill, how does he judge the noble lord as Godric tells his story? How does this reflect Reginald's belief that all men are essentially good?
8. What does Godric bid his feet to do and why?
9. What are Godric's thoughts as he listens to the monks sing at Christmas mass in Durham?
10. How does Godric really feel about the sacrifices he has made for God as a hermit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Godric hear the "cries of the poor"? How are the cries sometimes drowned out? Why does Godric feel this way about the poor?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Godric's encounter with Bishop Flambard at the school where he works. What is the conflict with their values? Why does Bishop Flambard criticize Godric?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Godric and Perkin. Is he one of the five friends mentioned in the beginning of the book? Why or why not? What happens to Perkin?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)