|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Burcwen have in her lap when she arrives with her family at Godric's abode after their house burns down?
2. Hedwic sees her life as being in Hell with her as _____.
3. Like Jacob, Godric considers his _____ to be a stone.
4. How does Godric describe Elric's eyes?
5. What does Elric chase fervently?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Perkin help Godric select his tomb?
2. How does Godric contemplate the decisions he has made in his life regarding the people he has known?
3. What happened fifty years before when Ranulf Flambard brought Cuthbert's bones to Durham?
4. How does Elric justify his sparse lifestyle?
5. What happens to Godric at the River Jordan and how does he compare it to the River Wear?
6. What happens to Godric as he passes through the Durham gate on his way to Bishop Pudsey's Christmas mass?
7. Why does Godric choose the church near Bishop Auckland to give away his fortune?
8. What does Reginald say of Godric's newly-acquired ability to read and write?
9. What does Godric say of faith, hope, and charity? Why does he say this?
10. How does Godric forgive Aedlward for being a distant father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Godric's encounter with Bishop Flambard at the school where he works. What is the conflict with their values? Why does Bishop Flambard criticize Godric?
Essay Topic 2
How does Godric meet the hermit, Elric? What is Elric's general demeanor? What does Godric learn from and about Elric?
Essay Topic 3
How is Godric received when he finally goes back home? How long has he been gone? What has changed? How does Burcwen feel about him? About his brother William? Why?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)