|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Godric's family arrive at his abode after their house burns down?
2. Godric feels that he fails Christ as a _____.
3. What is Godric sprinkled with when he is being prepared for Christmas mass?
4. By the reckoning of men, one half of Godric's life is an _____.
5. When Flambard was Lord Chancellor, it is said that all _____ slept and money ruled the land.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Godric at the River Jordan and how does he compare it to the River Wear?
2. What does Reginald say of Godric's newly-acquired ability to read and write?
3. Describe the cathedral at Durham.
4. How is Elric, in all his rantings and his hermit lifestyle, treated by the community that surrounds where he lives?
5. How does Perkin help Godric select his tomb?
6. When Reginald is writing in his book about Godric's service with Falkes de Granvill, how does he judge the noble lord as Godric tells his story? How does this reflect Reginald's belief that all men are essentially good?
7. How does Godric contemplate the decisions he has made in his life regarding the people he has known?
8. What are Godric's thoughts as he listens to the monks sing at Christmas mass in Durham?
9. What impression does King Baldwin have on Godric and Roger Mouse when they first meet him?
10. What happened fifty years before when Ranulf Flambard brought Cuthbert's bones to Durham?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Reginald seek Godric's blessing in the writing of his book? What is Godric's reaction to Reginald's telling of his story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the transformation of Godric from rogue to holy hermit. What affect does Godric's sins take on him? What causes him to reassess his life?
Essay Topic 3
What happens when Godric's family's house burns down in his absence? How do they evolve as a family together again? What tragedies befall them? Why?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)