|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says to Godric that life is like porridge?
2. Whose bones have supposedly been carted to Durham?
3. Where does Elric live?
4. What does Reginald hold to Godric's lips to see if he is still alive?
5. What does Godric call the notion that the dead will live again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Godric bid his feet to do and why?
2. What happens to Godric at the River Jordan and how does he compare it to the River Wear?
3. How does Godric describe the Wear River and what is its significance to him?
4. How does Godric forgive Aedlward for being a distant father?
5. What is the truth about Burcwen's feelings for William? What does she call him?
6. How is Elric, in all his rantings and his hermit lifestyle, treated by the community that surrounds where he lives?
7. How does Godric really feel about the sacrifices he has made for God as a hermit?
8. When Reginald is writing in his book about Godric's service with Falkes de Granvill, how does he judge the noble lord as Godric tells his story? How does this reflect Reginald's belief that all men are essentially good?
9. How does Elric justify his sparse lifestyle?
10. How does Godric's family find out where he is living when their house burns down?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Godric received when he finally goes back home? How long has he been gone? What has changed? How does Burcwen feel about him? About his brother William? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Aedwen insist that Godric go to Rome with her? Why does Godric go? What happens when they get to Rome?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Godric's encounter with Bishop Flambard at the school where he works. What is the conflict with their values? Why does Bishop Flambard criticize Godric?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)