|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years has Aedlward been dead when Godric goes back home?
2. What animal does Godric see in the woods on the way home from Rome?
3. Where does Aedwen fear that Aedlward is trapped?
4. What does Godric liken Gillian's laughter to?
5. What does Brurcwen say, sarcastically, that Godric learned in Rome?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Godric really feel about the sacrifices he has made for God as a hermit?
2. Describe Ailred's coughing as the Wear threatens to flood its banks.
3. Describe the holy isle of Farne.
4. How does Godric describe his own supposed hermit status?
5. Describe the apparition that Godric sees when he prays to the Mother Mary.
6. How does Falkes de Granvill "mark" Godric when Godric agrees to go into service for him?
7. Why does Godric choose the church near Bishop Auckland to give away his fortune?
8. What does Godric say is King William Redhead's business with the people and how does Flambard help him?
9. What happens when Godric asks Burcwen if she would like to go to Rome with him and their mother?
10. Describe the three Godrics that Godric talks about in reference to his telling the tales of his life.
Essay Topic 1
How does Godric hear the "cries of the poor"? How are the cries sometimes drowned out? Why does Godric feel this way about the poor?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Godric's encounter with the Devil. What does the Devil look like? How does Godric know he is fighting the Devil? What happens at the end of the battle?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Reginald seek Godric's blessing in the writing of his book? What is Godric's reaction to Reginald's telling of his story?
This section contains 1,275 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)