|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the parting gift Burcwen gives to Godric when he leaves home?
2. Godric sees himself as mocking his followers with his _____.
3. Jacob labored seven years to win the fair _____.
4. What does Perkin bring to Godric to eat?
5. Where does Gillian vanish?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Godric buy cheap hair and why?
2. Describe the holy isle of Farne.
3. What are Godric's thoughts as he listens to the monks sing at Christmas mass in Durham?
4. How does Godric deal with his shame regarding incest with Burcwen and the death of William?
5. Why does Godric believe that Burcwen really loves William?
6. Why does Godric omit telling Burcwen, or anyone for that matter, about his encounter with Gillian?
7. When Reginald is writing in his book about Godric's service with Falkes de Granvill, how does he judge the noble lord as Godric tells his story? How does this reflect Reginald's belief that all men are essentially good?
8. Why does Godric believe that the hands of Reginald's order of monks are soft?
9. How does Godric perceive his acts in the service of Falkes de Granvill after his conversation with Hedwic?
10. How does Godric question his reasons for deciding to go to Rome with his mother?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Godric and Perkin. Is he one of the five friends mentioned in the beginning of the book? Why or why not? What happens to Perkin?
Essay Topic 2
What happens when Godric's family's house burns down in his absence? How do they evolve as a family together again? What tragedies befall them? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Falkes de Granvill? What moral dilemma does Godric experience with Falkes de Granvill's wife, Hedwic? Why does he finally leave the service of Falkes de Granvill?
This section contains 1,251 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)