|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Aedwen, in one of her sick stupors, thinks she remembers that the pilgrim Maud had an _____.
(a) Emerald brooch.
(b) Awful singing voice.
(c) Ivory spoon.
(d) Elicit affair.
2. Which meat are the revelers supposed to be eating at Falkes de Granvill's feast?
3. What does Elric thrash himself with?
(a) Horse-tail whips.
(b) Willow wands.
(c) Leather straps.
(d) Sycamore saplings.
4. Working for Falkes de Granvill, Godric feels that he is working his own _____.
5. What does "Flambard" mean in Norman?
(a) Worthy of honor.
(b) Knight or captain.
(d) Flame or torch.
6. What does Godric want God to anoint so that he may be a better person for Burcwen?
(a) His ears.
(b) His head.
(c) His heart.
(d) His eyes.
7. Who summons Godric to Christmas mass at Durham?
(b) Bishop Flambard.
(c) Bishop Pudsey.
8. What is the name of the school where Godric finally learns his letters?
(a) Saint Thomas Aquinas.
(b) Saint Michael.
(c) Saint Mary-le-Bow.
(d) Saint Christopher.
9. How does Godric describe Elric's eyes?
(a) As two coal-burnt onions.
(b) As ferret sharp.
(c) As pools of water.
(d) As slow and languid.
10. Who shows Godric to Burcwen's unmarked grave?
(b) A monk.
(c) A prefect.
(d) A nun.
11. Which field is thick with corpses from fighting between the Frankish knights and the Turks?
12. What does Godric say that prayer is?
(a) Shooting shafts in the dark.
(b) Solace from tyranny.
(c) Connection to God.
(d) A good way to exercise the tongue.
13. Who says, "Be fools for Christ."?
(a) John the Baptist.
(b) Mary Magdalene.
(d) The Apostle Paul.
14. Godric doubts that Elric has washed since _____.
(a) King's day.
(d) Confessor's day.
15. How does Reginald say Burcwen died?
(a) A maiden chaste.
(b) A scorned woman.
(c) A sweet wife.
(d) A crazy wretch.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Godric believe is the ape that gibbers in one's loins?
2. What does Godric say of his incestuous encounter with Burcwen?
3. Where does Elric live?
4. What is Hedwic doing in her chamber when Godric passes as he is leaving the service of Falkes de Granvill?
5. Like Jacob, Godric considers his _____ to be a stone.
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)