|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Vic's house is quiet and even the generator isn't running. Spenser watches the house until one twenty-two, when Kevin and Vic emerge, get into Vic's car, and leave. Spenser remains at his position throughout the day and into the night. Do Vic and Kevin return?
2. Why does Spenser pull his gun?
3. They go up to Kevin's secret room, and Spenser discovers what?
4. Why does Spenser say that it's evident Kevin and Vic will be returning soon?
5. Margery has called Spenser nine times. What does he do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens the next day when Spenser goes to Vic's home?
2. How does Spenser find the Bartletts when he returns?
3. What does Spenser discover when he returns to the Bartlett home?
4. What happens when they arrive in Boston?
5. What does Spenser tell Healy?
6. How is Margery dressed at the party?
7. How does Spenser know there are no signs of a break in?
8. What do Spenser and the Bartletts do?
9. What does Margery discover in a package? What does Spenser have to say about this?
10. What happens when Spenser follows Vic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A phone call is made about Kevin's whereabouts.
Part 1) How is this phone call a spoof? Why is this phone call made?
Part 2) How are the parents affected? What does Spenser notice about Roger's reaction? Why does he make note of this?
Part 3) Why was Kevin not returned? Had he ever planned on returning home? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between Spenser and Trask is very different from the one between Spenser and Healy.
Part 1) Describe the relationship Spenser has with each man.
Part 2) Why are they so different? What is the connection between one's personality and relationships?
Part 3) How does Trask's attitude towards Spenser act as foreshadowing?
Essay Topic 3
Spenser fights Vic.
Part 1) Why does he fight Vic? Do the Bartletts need his help at this point? Why or why not?
Part 2) How is Spenser able to beat Vic? What does this reveal about Spenser?
Part 3) How do other details previously mentioned in the story lead the reader to understand how Spenser was able to beat Vic?
Part 4) How might the other characters involved feel about Spenser winning? Why?
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)