|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Spenser learn from the Boston Police Department?
2. The only person Margery can think of who actually hates them is who?
3. What does Spenser find when he returns from shopping?
4. To what does Croft admit?
5. As Spenser hangs up, he looks around and discovers what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Spenser arrives at Vic's?
2. What does Margery request of Spenser? What is his response?
3. What happens when Spenser follows Vic to a motel?
4. What happens at the Odds' End bar?
5. What takes place between Susan and Spenser?
6. What does Spenser discover when he returns to the Bartlett home?
7. What does Margery discover in a package? What does Spenser have to say about this?
8. Why does Margery scream?
9. What does Spenser learn about Maguire's death?
10. What do Spenser and the Bartletts do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is possibly a third party involved with Vic and Croft.
Part 1) Of the characters in this story, who might the third party be and why?
Part 2) What might have been this person's role in the kidnapping?
Part 3) What clues lead you to believe that this person might have been the third accomplice and played that specific role in the kidnapping?
Essay Topic 2
Spenser interrogates Dr. Croft.
Part 1) Why does he interrogate him? How does Dr. Croft respond to this?
Part 2) How does his response affect his life?
Part 3) Why might Dr. Croft have been involved in the activity about which Spenser interrogates him? How does he benefit from it?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, clues are gathered regarding Kevin's apparent kidnapping.
Part 1) How does Spenser gather clues? Is it all by skill or is luck involved? Explain.
Part 2) How do the beliefs about this kidnapping change as clues are gathered?
Part 3) What clues and events foreshadow the truth about Kevin's disappearance?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)