|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Just as he begins to search, he hears who scream from outside?
2. What are Vic and Kevin doing when they return?
3. At the Common, Vic stops, and what does Spenser do?
4. Croft eventually says that Vic stays where sometimes?
5. Spenser drives about a hundred yards past Vic's road and does what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry learn about Vic at Race's Faces?
2. What takes place between Susan and Spenser?
3. Why does Margery call Spenser?
4. What does Margery request of Spenser? What is his response?
5. How does Spenser find the Bartletts when he returns?
6. How is Margery dressed at the party?
7. What happens when Spenser arrives at Vic's?
8. What do Spenser and the Bartletts do?
9. Why was Maguire at the house? What is Margery's response when asked if she knows of anyone who would want to kill Maguire?
10. What does Spenser discover when he returns to the Bartlett home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Bartletts' home is much like the other suburban homes.
Part 1) Describe their home. What is the purpose for this description?
Part 2) What does this say about the exterior view compared to what is taking place beneath the surface?
Part 3) What might this mean for other suburban, well-to-do families?
Part 4) How might this reflect real life?
Essay Topic 2
Susan and Spenser discuss Dr. Croft at the party.
Part 1) Why do they discuss him? What does this reveal about both Susan and Spenser?
Part 2) What does this reveal about Dr. Croft? How does help to explain what is later discovered about him?
Part 3) How are subtle details, such as this seemingly unimportant discussion, used as clues to solve the case?
Essay Topic 3
Margery and Roger Bartlett hire Spenser to find their missing son, Kevin.
Part 1) Why do you believe this couple went to a private investigator? How might this case turned out if it had only been the police on this case?
Part 2) Describe Spenser. Is he a good investigator? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does he go about finding Kevin? How does the author show Spenser's investigative process?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)