|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Spenser goes back in the establishment where he does what?
2. What does Dolly say about the conversation that Margery is reporting?
3. Who is meeting with Vic?
4. When Spenser would have helped Roger deal with Vic, what does Roger say?
5. Who helps Spenser examine the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Spenser find the Bartletts when he returns?
2. What happens the next day when Spenser goes to Vic's home?
3. Why does Margery scream?
4. How does Spenser know there are no signs of a break in?
5. How does Margery respond when Spenser asks if they know anyone who might be mad at them?
6. What takes place between Susan and Spenser?
7. Why does Margery call Spenser?
8. What does Spenser tell Healy?
9. How does Dr. Croft act initially when Spenser meets with him?
10. What does Spenser learn about Maguire's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A ransom note is sent, and a stakeout is planned and implemented.
Part 1) Describe the note. What is odd about it, according to Spenser and Healy?
Part 2) What does this mean about those who wrote the note?
Part 3) How does this note affect the response of the police and Spenser?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, clues are gathered regarding Kevin's apparent kidnapping.
Part 1) How does Spenser gather clues? Is it all by skill or is luck involved? Explain.
Part 2) How do the beliefs about this kidnapping change as clues are gathered?
Part 3) What clues and events foreshadow the truth about Kevin's disappearance?
Essay Topic 3
Spenser visits a health club and a photography studio.
Part 1) Why does he visit these locations? How does he seem to know these people?
Part 2) How do these people help Spenser? Why do they help him?
Part 3) How important is the information Spenser receives from these two people? Could he have solved the case without their help? Why or why not?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)