|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The item in the package has no signs of trauma, so what does this mean?
2. What has happened outside?
3. Why was Maguire at the house?
4. As Spenser hangs up, he looks around and discovers what?
5. The following morning, a Saturday, Margery opens a package that arrives in the mail to discover what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place between Susan and Spenser?
2. What does Margery discover in a package? What does Spenser have to say about this?
3. What does Spenser learn at the Harbor Health Club?
4. What happens when Spenser arrives at the Bartletts' home?
5. How does Margery respond when Spenser asks if they know anyone who might be mad at them?
6. What happens when Spenser arrives at Vic's?
7. What does Spenser learn about Maguire's death?
8. How does Dr. Croft act initially when Spenser meets with him?
9. What happens the next day when Spenser goes to Vic's home?
10. What happens when Spenser discovers more business cards like the one Fraser had?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Spenser and Susan grow close.
Part 1) Describe their first encounter. How does this foreshadow a developing intimate relationship?
Part 2) Why do they feel a connection? What causes this?
Part 3) Why does Spenser involve Susan in this case? Should he have involved her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
This case ends with the return of Kevin.
Part 1) What might be Kevin's fate now that it is learned he was not kidnapped as first thought?
Part 2) What will happen to Vic? Will Kevin try to help him? Why or why not?
Part 3) What might come of the other characters in the book, now that the case is over?
Essay Topic 3
Spenser fights Vic.
Part 1) Why does he fight Vic? Do the Bartletts need his help at this point? Why or why not?
Part 2) How is Spenser able to beat Vic? What does this reveal about Spenser?
Part 3) How do other details previously mentioned in the story lead the reader to understand how Spenser was able to beat Vic?
Part 4) How might the other characters involved feel about Spenser winning? Why?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)