|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Vic's house is quiet and even the generator isn't running. Spenser watches the house until one twenty-two, when Kevin and Vic emerge, get into Vic's car, and leave. Spenser remains at his position throughout the day and into the night. Do Vic and Kevin return?
2. Where does Spenser follow Dolly?
3. According to Henry, how does Vic get fired from a health club?
4. Why does Spenser pull his gun?
5. What does Dolly say about the conversation that Margery is reporting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Spenser and the Bartletts do?
2. What happens at the Odds' End bar?
3. What does Spenser learn at the Harbor Health Club?
4. What happens when Susan arrives at the party?
5. How does Margery respond when Spenser asks if they know anyone who might be mad at them?
6. What information does Dolly give Spenser?
7. What happens the next day when Spenser goes to Vic's home?
8. What happens when Spenser arrives at Vic's?
9. Why does Margery call Spenser?
10. What does Spenser learn about Maguire's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Spenser visits a health club and a photography studio.
Part 1) Why does he visit these locations? How does he seem to know these people?
Part 2) How do these people help Spenser? Why do they help him?
Part 3) How important is the information Spenser receives from these two people? Could he have solved the case without their help? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Bartletts' home is much like the other suburban homes.
Part 1) Describe their home. What is the purpose for this description?
Part 2) What does this say about the exterior view compared to what is taking place beneath the surface?
Part 3) What might this mean for other suburban, well-to-do families?
Part 4) How might this reflect real life?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, clues are gathered regarding Kevin's apparent kidnapping.
Part 1) How does Spenser gather clues? Is it all by skill or is luck involved? Explain.
Part 2) How do the beliefs about this kidnapping change as clues are gathered?
Part 3) What clues and events foreshadow the truth about Kevin's disappearance?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)