|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dolly say about the conversation that Margery is reporting?
2. Spenser arrives at the Bartletts' house to find Roger doing what?
3. How does Spenser respond when Margery asks him to stay?
4. As Spenser hangs up, he looks around and discovers what?
5. Why does Spenser pull his gun?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the Odds' End bar?
2. What happens when Spenser follows Vic?
3. Why was Maguire at the house? What is Margery's response when asked if she knows of anyone who would want to kill Maguire?
4. What happens when Spenser arrives at Vic's?
5. What happens when Spenser follows Vic to a motel?
6. Why does Margery scream?
7. What does Margery discover in a package? What does Spenser have to say about this?
8. How does Spenser find the Bartletts when he returns?
9. What information does Dolly give Spenser?
10. Why does Margery call Spenser?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Susan and Spenser discuss Dr. Croft at the party.
Part 1) Why do they discuss him? What does this reveal about both Susan and Spenser?
Part 2) What does this reveal about Dr. Croft? How does help to explain what is later discovered about him?
Part 3) How are subtle details, such as this seemingly unimportant discussion, used as clues to solve the case?
Essay Topic 2
Spenser and Susan grow close.
Part 1) Describe their first encounter. How does this foreshadow a developing intimate relationship?
Part 2) Why do they feel a connection? What causes this?
Part 3) Why does Spenser involve Susan in this case? Should he have involved her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Spenser interrogates Dr. Croft.
Part 1) Why does he interrogate him? How does Dr. Croft respond to this?
Part 2) How does his response affect his life?
Part 3) Why might Dr. Croft have been involved in the activity about which Spenser interrogates him? How does he benefit from it?
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)