|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Over the next hours, what happens to Spenser?
2. Spenser receives a phone call from whom?
3. How does Spenser respond to Dolly's comment about her mother?
4. Describe the fight.
5. Is there any sign that either the front or back door has been jimmied?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Spenser know there are no signs of a break in?
2. What happens when Spenser follows Vic?
3. How does Dr. Croft act initially when Spenser meets with him?
4. Why does Margery scream?
5. Why was Maguire at the house? What is Margery's response when asked if she knows of anyone who would want to kill Maguire?
6. What is discovered in Kevin's secret room in the barn?
7. What happens at the Odds' End bar?
8. What does Spenser tell Healy?
9. What does Spenser learn about Maguire's death?
10. How is Margery dressed at the party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Margery and Roger Bartlett hire Spenser to find their missing son, Kevin.
Part 1) Why do you believe this couple went to a private investigator? How might this case turned out if it had only been the police on this case?
Part 2) Describe Spenser. Is he a good investigator? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does he go about finding Kevin? How does the author show Spenser's investigative process?
Essay Topic 2
Spenser has a sense of humor and is very sarcastic.
Part 1) Describe Spenser's sense of humor and sarcasm. How does it affect his relationships?
Part 2) How does his humor and sarcasm help him in his investigative work?
Part 3) How does this humor and sarcasm affect the reader, one's engagement in the book? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Spenser interrogates Dr. Croft.
Part 1) Why does he interrogate him? How does Dr. Croft respond to this?
Part 2) How does his response affect his life?
Part 3) Why might Dr. Croft have been involved in the activity about which Spenser interrogates him? How does he benefit from it?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)