|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Spenser drives about a hundred yards past Vic's road and does what?
2. Does Margery deny she has vengeful ex-lovers?
3. As Spenser hangs up, he looks around and discovers what?
4. Why does Spenser pull his gun?
5. When Spenser goes back to the front and tells Trask what has happened to Croft, how does the police officer appear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Spenser learn about Maguire's death?
2. What happens at the Odds' End bar?
3. Why does Margery scream?
4. What happens when Spenser follows Vic?
5. What does Henry learn about Vic at Race's Faces?
6. What happens when they arrive in Boston?
7. How does Margery respond when Spenser asks if they know anyone who might be mad at them?
8. What do Spenser and the Bartletts do?
9. What is discovered in Kevin's secret room in the barn?
10. Why does Margery call Spenser?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A phone call is made about Kevin's whereabouts.
Part 1) How is this phone call a spoof? Why is this phone call made?
Part 2) How are the parents affected? What does Spenser notice about Roger's reaction? Why does he make note of this?
Part 3) Why was Kevin not returned? Had he ever planned on returning home? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Spenser has a sense of humor and is very sarcastic.
Part 1) Describe Spenser's sense of humor and sarcasm. How does it affect his relationships?
Part 2) How does his humor and sarcasm help him in his investigative work?
Part 3) How does this humor and sarcasm affect the reader, one's engagement in the book? Why?
Essay Topic 3
There is possibly a third party involved with Vic and Croft.
Part 1) Of the characters in this story, who might the third party be and why?
Part 2) What might have been this person's role in the kidnapping?
Part 3) What clues lead you to believe that this person might have been the third accomplice and played that specific role in the kidnapping?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)