|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does this girl do when she starts toward the house and sees Spenser?
2. Who is the overweight cop at the table?
3. What does Healy tell Spenser they have to do?
4. She calls the following morning and says what?
5. What does the Bartletts' house look like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Healy and Spenser do when they arrive at the stables?
2. What happens when Spenser arrives back at the Bartlett home?
3. How well has Healy overseen the set up of the stakeout?
4. Who has come to Spenser's office? Why are they there?
5. What does Spenser do for the next two days?
6. What does Spenser tell Susan about this case?
7. How does Spenser begin his day?
8. How do the Bartletts respond to the knowledge of the hearse and coffin?
9. What is known about Kevin at this point?
10. Why does Susan call Spenser the following morning? What happens after that?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Margery and Roger Bartlett hire Spenser to find their missing son, Kevin.
Part 1) Why do you believe this couple went to a private investigator? How might this case turned out if it had only been the police on this case?
Part 2) Describe Spenser. Is he a good investigator? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does he go about finding Kevin? How does the author show Spenser's investigative process?
Essay Topic 2
Spenser speaks with two school employees who know Kevin.
Part 1) Describe these two people. What information does he learn from each?
Part 2) What does this interaction reveal about each of these two people?
Part 3) What clues into Kevin's life and into reason behind the kidnapping do these meetings give Spenser?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, clues are gathered regarding Kevin's apparent kidnapping.
Part 1) How does Spenser gather clues? Is it all by skill or is luck involved? Explain.
Part 2) How do the beliefs about this kidnapping change as clues are gathered?
Part 3) What clues and events foreshadow the truth about Kevin's disappearance?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)