|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the police chief not trust Spenser?
2. How is Spenser unlike the police?
3. Where is Margery to have the money in a book bag?
4. In a fit of temper, what does Spenser do?
5. When Spenser doesn't back down from Vic, what happens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Spenser note about the Bartlett home?
2. What happens when Spenser arrives at the Bartletts' home?
3. How does Margery respond when Spenser asks if they know anyone who might be mad at them?
4. What is odd about the ransom note?
5. What do Healy, Trask, and Spenser discuss?
6. How do the Bartletts respond to the knowledge of the hearse and coffin?
7. What information does Susan Silverman give about Kevin?
8. What is done regarding a stakeout?
9. What information does Dolly give Spenser?
10. What happens at the Odds' End bar?
Essay Topic 1
Susan and Spenser discuss Dr. Croft at the party.
Part 1) Why do they discuss him? What does this reveal about both Susan and Spenser?
Part 2) What does this reveal about Dr. Croft? How does help to explain what is later discovered about him?
Part 3) How are subtle details, such as this seemingly unimportant discussion, used as clues to solve the case?
Essay Topic 2
Spenser has a sense of humor and is very sarcastic.
Part 1) Describe Spenser's sense of humor and sarcasm. How does it affect his relationships?
Part 2) How does his humor and sarcasm help him in his investigative work?
Part 3) How does this humor and sarcasm affect the reader, one's engagement in the book? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Croft is hanged by his necktie.
Part 1) Why does this murder occur?
Part 2) How does his inability to keep quiet lead to this?
Part 3) What does this reveal about Trask? How does it help end the mysteries of this case?
This section contains 2,130 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)