|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Healy introduces himself and says that he wants "this man" to pretend to be an employee of the stables for how long?
2. Of what does Healy accuse Spenser?
3. How does this man react when Spenser asks him whether Kevin has behavior problems, friends, or does drugs?
4. What is Vic?
5. To what does Spenser compare private investigating?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Spenser realize about Susan? What does he do about this? What is her response?
2. Describe the phone call.
3. What does Spenser note about the Bartlett home?
4. How do the Bartletts respond to the knowledge of the hearse and coffin?
5. What does Margery discover in a package? What does Spenser have to say about this?
6. What happens at the Odds' End bar?
7. Who is in the Bartlett home?
8. Why has Kevin never received psychiatric counseling?
9. How does Dr. Croft act initially when Spenser meets with him?
10. What is odd about the ransom note?
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Croft is hanged by his necktie.
Part 1) Why does this murder occur?
Part 2) How does his inability to keep quiet lead to this?
Part 3) What does this reveal about Trask? How does it help end the mysteries of this case?
Essay Topic 2
This case ends with the return of Kevin.
Part 1) What might be Kevin's fate now that it is learned he was not kidnapped as first thought?
Part 2) What will happen to Vic? Will Kevin try to help him? Why or why not?
Part 3) What might come of the other characters in the book, now that the case is over?
Essay Topic 3
Spenser and Susan grow close.
Part 1) Describe their first encounter. How does this foreshadow a developing intimate relationship?
Part 2) Why do they feel a connection? What causes this?
Part 3) Why does Spenser involve Susan in this case? Should he have involved her? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,920 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)