|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At dinner, of what does Susan assure Spenser?
2. In a fit of temper, what does Spenser do?
3. With whom does Spenser first speak at Smithfield High School?
4. What is behind a school in Old Smithfield?
5. With whom is Healy an investigator?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who pulls up to Margery? Why?
2. What happens when Spenser arrives back at the Bartlett home?
3. What does Spenser learn at the stable?
4. What takes place first on the morning of the pickup?
5. What information does Mr. Moriarty give Spenser?
6. What does Spenser do for the next two days?
7. What is in the coffin?
8. How does Spenser begin his day?
9. Describe the phone call.
10. Why has Kevin never received psychiatric counseling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Spenser has a sense of humor and is very sarcastic.
Part 1) Describe Spenser's sense of humor and sarcasm. How does it affect his relationships?
Part 2) How does his humor and sarcasm help him in his investigative work?
Part 3) How does this humor and sarcasm affect the reader, one's engagement in the book? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Susan and Spenser discuss Dr. Croft at the party.
Part 1) Why do they discuss him? What does this reveal about both Susan and Spenser?
Part 2) What does this reveal about Dr. Croft? How does help to explain what is later discovered about him?
Part 3) How are subtle details, such as this seemingly unimportant discussion, used as clues to solve the case?
Essay Topic 3
Spenser brings the Bartletts to find their son.
Part 1) How do the parents react when they see Vic and Kevin?
Part 2) Why does Roger want to fight Vic alone? What does this reveal about his character?
Part 3) Does Kevin react the way his father would hope? Why or why not?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)