|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Spenser says he will not assess their parenting skills, but needs what?
2. He goes home and calls Susan, inviting her to what?
3. By what does Spenser say kidnappings are usually motivated?
4. Why does Roger not agree to getting Kevin psychiatric counseling?
5. When Spenser says that he wants to "rent a high-spirited palomino stallion with a hand-tooled Spanish leather saddle and silver-studded bridle", Healy does what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Healy and Spenser do when they arrive at the stables?
2. What is done regarding a stakeout?
3. What does Spenser notice about the inside of the home?
4. What do Healy, Trask, and Spenser discuss?
5. What takes place first on the morning of the pickup?
6. What happens when Spenser arrives back at the Bartlett home?
7. What does the ransom note demand?
8. What information does Mr. Moriarty give Spenser?
9. What does Spenser tell the Bartletts he will do?
10. How does Spenser begin his day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kevin is taken home by his parents.
Part 1) How does Kevin respond to his parents? How might this affect his parents?
Part 2) How might the reactions of these family members have been different if Margery and Roger had not accompanied Spenser to Boston to get Kevin? Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) Will their home life improve? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Spenser has a sense of humor and is very sarcastic.
Part 1) Describe Spenser's sense of humor and sarcasm. How does it affect his relationships?
Part 2) How does his humor and sarcasm help him in his investigative work?
Part 3) How does this humor and sarcasm affect the reader, one's engagement in the book? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Margery and Roger Bartlett hire Spenser to find their missing son, Kevin.
Part 1) Why do you believe this couple went to a private investigator? How might this case turned out if it had only been the police on this case?
Part 2) Describe Spenser. Is he a good investigator? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does he go about finding Kevin? How does the author show Spenser's investigative process?
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)