|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Healy shows Spenser two sheets of paper, each inside a transparent cover. The first is what?
2. What does the driver of this vehicle do?
3. What does Spenser then say about this case?
4. Why can Spenser not take off his white linen sport coat?
5. By what does Spenser say kidnappings are usually motivated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Mr. Moriarty give Spenser?
2. Who pulls up to Margery? Why?
3. What is learned about Vic? What happens when Vic and Spenser meet?
4. Who has come to Spenser's office? Why are they there?
5. What happens when Spenser arrives back at the Bartlett home?
6. Who is in the Bartlett home?
7. Why does Susan call Spenser the following morning? What happens after that?
8. How does Spenser begin his day?
9. What does Spenser learn at the stable?
10. What does Spenser tell the Bartletts he will do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A ransom note is sent, and a stakeout is planned and implemented.
Part 1) Describe the note. What is odd about it, according to Spenser and Healy?
Part 2) What does this mean about those who wrote the note?
Part 3) How does this note affect the response of the police and Spenser?
Essay Topic 2
Margery and Roger Bartlett hire Spenser to find their missing son, Kevin.
Part 1) Why do you believe this couple went to a private investigator? How might this case turned out if it had only been the police on this case?
Part 2) Describe Spenser. Is he a good investigator? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does he go about finding Kevin? How does the author show Spenser's investigative process?
Essay Topic 3
This case ends with the return of Kevin.
Part 1) What might be Kevin's fate now that it is learned he was not kidnapped as first thought?
Part 2) What will happen to Vic? Will Kevin try to help him? Why or why not?
Part 3) What might come of the other characters in the book, now that the case is over?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)