Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Healy introduces himself and says that he wants "this man" to pretend to be an employee of the stables for how long?
2. Of what does Healy accuse Spenser?
3. How does this man react when Spenser asks him whether Kevin has behavior problems, friends, or does drugs?
4. What is Vic?
5. To what does Spenser compare private investigating?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Spenser realize about Susan? What does he do about this? What is her response?
2. Describe the phone call.
3. What does Spenser note about the Bartlett home?
4. How do the Bartletts respond to the knowledge of the hearse and coffin?
5. What does Margery discover in a package? What does Spenser have to say about this?
6. What happens at the Odds' End bar?
7. Who is in the Bartlett home?
8. Why has Kevin never received psychiatric counseling?
9. How does Dr. Croft act initially when Spenser meets with him?
10. What is odd about the ransom note?
Essay Topic 1
There is possibly a third party involved with Vic and Croft.
Part 1) Of the characters in this story, who might the third party be and why?
Part 2) What might have been this person's role in the kidnapping?
Part 3) What clues lead you to believe that this person might have been the third accomplice and played that specific role in the kidnapping?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, clues are gathered regarding Kevin's apparent kidnapping.
Part 1) How does Spenser gather clues? Is it all by skill or is luck involved? Explain.
Part 2) How do the beliefs about this kidnapping change as clues are gathered?
Part 3) What clues and events foreshadow the truth about Kevin's disappearance?
Essay Topic 3
Margery is known to "screw around."
Part 1) How is this hinted at early in the book?
Part 2) How does her behavior affect her family? Why might she act this way?
Part 3) Will she change now that her son has been returned? Why or why not? Use the text to support your response.
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)