|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Spenser unlike the police?
2. Why does Spenser head back to the Bartlett home?
3. Spenser makes the final decision to do what?
4. How many options are there as to where the kidnappers might have come out of the woods?
5. On the morning of the pickup, Spenser watches as Margery does what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Margery request of Spenser? What is his response?
2. What do Healy, Trask, and Spenser discuss?
3. What does Spenser tell the Bartletts he will do?
4. What happens when they arrive in Boston?
5. What happens when Spenser arrives back at the Bartlett home?
6. Why does Margery scream?
7. What happens when Spenser discovers more business cards like the one Fraser had?
8. How does Spenser begin his day?
9. What is odd about the ransom note?
10. What information does Mr. Moriarty give Spenser?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Spenser fights Vic.
Part 1) Why does he fight Vic? Do the Bartletts need his help at this point? Why or why not?
Part 2) How is Spenser able to beat Vic? What does this reveal about Spenser?
Part 3) How do other details previously mentioned in the story lead the reader to understand how Spenser was able to beat Vic?
Part 4) How might the other characters involved feel about Spenser winning? Why?
Essay Topic 2
A ransom note is sent, and a stakeout is planned and implemented.
Part 1) Describe the note. What is odd about it, according to Spenser and Healy?
Part 2) What does this mean about those who wrote the note?
Part 3) How does this note affect the response of the police and Spenser?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, clues are gathered regarding Kevin's apparent kidnapping.
Part 1) How does Spenser gather clues? Is it all by skill or is luck involved? Explain.
Part 2) How do the beliefs about this kidnapping change as clues are gathered?
Part 3) What clues and events foreshadow the truth about Kevin's disappearance?
This section contains 2,128 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)