|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does this man react when Spenser presses him for information?
2. What does Spenser quickly learn about horses?
3. Who is mowing at the far side of the lawn?
4. Who are Spenser's potential clients?
5. Why does Spenser have a sandwich?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after the man heads into the woods?
2. What does Spenser tell Susan about this case?
3. On what does Spenser fill Susan in?
4. What does the ransom note demand?
5. What do Healy and Spenser do when they arrive at the stables?
6. Why does Susan call Spenser the following morning? What happens after that?
7. What does Spenser do for the next two days?
8. What is learned about Vic? What happens when Vic and Spenser meet?
9. Describe the phone call.
10. How well has Healy overseen the set up of the stakeout?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Spenser has a sense of humor and is very sarcastic.
Part 1) Describe Spenser's sense of humor and sarcasm. How does it affect his relationships?
Part 2) How does his humor and sarcasm help him in his investigative work?
Part 3) How does this humor and sarcasm affect the reader, one's engagement in the book? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Spenser fights Vic.
Part 1) Why does he fight Vic? Do the Bartletts need his help at this point? Why or why not?
Part 2) How is Spenser able to beat Vic? What does this reveal about Spenser?
Part 3) How do other details previously mentioned in the story lead the reader to understand how Spenser was able to beat Vic?
Part 4) How might the other characters involved feel about Spenser winning? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, clues are gathered regarding Kevin's apparent kidnapping.
Part 1) How does Spenser gather clues? Is it all by skill or is luck involved? Explain.
Part 2) How do the beliefs about this kidnapping change as clues are gathered?
Part 3) What clues and events foreshadow the truth about Kevin's disappearance?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)