|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many options are there as to where the kidnappers might have come out of the woods?
2. When Spenser tells Vic he is looking for Kevin, what do Vic and the young girl do?
3. To whom does Spenser attribute this hiding man?
4. When Roger learns of this spoof, how does he react?
5. What does Spenser learn that the Bartletts have received?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is in the coffin?
2. What information does Mr. Moriarty give Spenser?
3. What does Spenser realize about Susan? What does he do about this? What is her response?
4. What is done regarding a stakeout?
5. Why does Susan call Spenser the following morning? What happens after that?
6. How well has Healy overseen the set up of the stakeout?
7. What does Spenser learn at the stable?
8. What happens when Spenser arrives back at the Bartlett home?
9. On what does Spenser fill Susan in?
10. Describe the phone call.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Susan and Spenser discuss Dr. Croft at the party.
Part 1) Why do they discuss him? What does this reveal about both Susan and Spenser?
Part 2) What does this reveal about Dr. Croft? How does help to explain what is later discovered about him?
Part 3) How are subtle details, such as this seemingly unimportant discussion, used as clues to solve the case?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, clues are gathered regarding Kevin's apparent kidnapping.
Part 1) How does Spenser gather clues? Is it all by skill or is luck involved? Explain.
Part 2) How do the beliefs about this kidnapping change as clues are gathered?
Part 3) What clues and events foreshadow the truth about Kevin's disappearance?
Essay Topic 3
The Bartletts' home is much like the other suburban homes.
Part 1) Describe their home. What is the purpose for this description?
Part 2) What does this say about the exterior view compared to what is taking place beneath the surface?
Part 3) What might this mean for other suburban, well-to-do families?
Part 4) How might this reflect real life?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)