|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Healy introduces himself and says that he wants "this man" to pretend to be an employee of the stables for how long?
2. Of what does Healy accuse Spenser?
3. How does this man react when Spenser asks him whether Kevin has behavior problems, friends, or does drugs?
4. What is Vic?
5. To what does Spenser compare private investigating?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Spenser realize about Susan? What does he do about this? What is her response?
2. Describe the phone call.
3. What does Spenser note about the Bartlett home?
4. How do the Bartletts respond to the knowledge of the hearse and coffin?
5. What does Margery discover in a package? What does Spenser have to say about this?
6. What happens at the Odds' End bar?
7. Who is in the Bartlett home?
8. Why has Kevin never received psychiatric counseling?
9. How does Dr. Croft act initially when Spenser meets with him?
10. What is odd about the ransom note?
Essay Topic 1
Spenser speaks with two school employees who know Kevin.
Part 1) Describe these two people. What information does he learn from each?
Part 2) What does this interaction reveal about each of these two people?
Part 3) What clues into Kevin's life and into reason behind the kidnapping do these meetings give Spenser?
Essay Topic 2
Spenser has a sense of humor and is very sarcastic.
Part 1) Describe Spenser's sense of humor and sarcasm. How does it affect his relationships?
Part 2) How does his humor and sarcasm help him in his investigative work?
Part 3) How does this humor and sarcasm affect the reader, one's engagement in the book? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Spenser visits a health club and a photography studio.
Part 1) Why does he visit these locations? How does he seem to know these people?
Part 2) How do these people help Spenser? Why do they help him?
Part 3) How important is the information Spenser receives from these two people? Could he have solved the case without their help? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,920 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)