|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Describe the road to Vic's home.
2. Trask is notified by radio that what has happened?
3. Does Spenser think Kevin is still nearby?
4. When Healy lifts the lid of the box, what does he find?
5. On the morning of the pickup, Spenser watches as Margery does what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who pulls up to Margery? Why?
2. What is known about Kevin at this point?
3. What does the ransom note demand?
4. What does Spenser learn at the stable?
5. What is odd about the ransom note?
6. What does Spenser realize about Susan? What does he do about this? What is her response?
7. What takes place first on the morning of the pickup?
8. On what does Spenser fill Susan in?
9. What is in the coffin?
10. Who has come to Spenser's office? Why are they there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between Spenser and Trask is very different from the one between Spenser and Healy.
Part 1) Describe the relationship Spenser has with each man.
Part 2) Why are they so different? What is the connection between one's personality and relationships?
Part 3) How does Trask's attitude towards Spenser act as foreshadowing?
Essay Topic 2
Spenser has a sense of humor and is very sarcastic.
Part 1) Describe Spenser's sense of humor and sarcasm. How does it affect his relationships?
Part 2) How does his humor and sarcasm help him in his investigative work?
Part 3) How does this humor and sarcasm affect the reader, one's engagement in the book? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Margery is known to "screw around."
Part 1) How is this hinted at early in the book?
Part 2) How does her behavior affect her family? Why might she act this way?
Part 3) Will she change now that her son has been returned? Why or why not? Use the text to support your response.
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)