|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the girl who was mowing the lawn?
2. By what does Spenser say kidnappings are usually motivated?
3. What is the Labrador's name?
4. What does Spenser learn about Vic Harroway?
5. Why does Roger not agree to getting Kevin psychiatric counseling?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who pulls up to Margery? Why?
2. What is in the coffin?
3. What does the ransom note demand?
4. What does Spenser realize about Susan? What does he do about this? What is her response?
5. What happens when Spenser arrives back at the Bartlett home?
6. What is learned about Vic? What happens when Vic and Spenser meet?
7. What is odd about the ransom note?
8. What does Spenser tell the Bartletts he will do?
9. What happens after the man heads into the woods?
10. Has Kevin ever run away before?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kevin is taken home by his parents.
Part 1) How does Kevin respond to his parents? How might this affect his parents?
Part 2) How might the reactions of these family members have been different if Margery and Roger had not accompanied Spenser to Boston to get Kevin? Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) Will their home life improve? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Spenser brings the Bartletts to find their son.
Part 1) How do the parents react when they see Vic and Kevin?
Part 2) Why does Roger want to fight Vic alone? What does this reveal about his character?
Part 3) Does Kevin react the way his father would hope? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Margery and Roger Bartlett hire Spenser to find their missing son, Kevin.
Part 1) Why do you believe this couple went to a private investigator? How might this case turned out if it had only been the police on this case?
Part 2) Describe Spenser. Is he a good investigator? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does he go about finding Kevin? How does the author show Spenser's investigative process?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)