|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By the time Spenser and Roger return to the kitchen, Margery is well on her way to doing what?
2. Trask says that they can set up a stakeout to catch the kidnappers. What does Spenser suggest?
3. Describe the road to Vic's home.
4. What does Spenser learn that the Bartletts have received?
5. When Spenser tells Vic he is looking for Kevin, what do Vic and the young girl do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Spenser arrives back at the Bartlett home?
2. What information does Susan Silverman give about Kevin?
3. What takes place first on the morning of the pickup?
4. What do Healy and Spenser do when they arrive at the stables?
5. Who is in the Bartlett home?
6. Why does Susan call Spenser the following morning? What happens after that?
7. What does Spenser notice about the inside of the home?
8. What does Spenser note about the Bartlett home?
9. How does Trask react to Spenser's arrival? Why?
10. Who pulls up to Margery? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Spenser speaks with two school employees who know Kevin.
Part 1) Describe these two people. What information does he learn from each?
Part 2) What does this interaction reveal about each of these two people?
Part 3) What clues into Kevin's life and into reason behind the kidnapping do these meetings give Spenser?
Essay Topic 2
Spenser fights Vic.
Part 1) Why does he fight Vic? Do the Bartletts need his help at this point? Why or why not?
Part 2) How is Spenser able to beat Vic? What does this reveal about Spenser?
Part 3) How do other details previously mentioned in the story lead the reader to understand how Spenser was able to beat Vic?
Part 4) How might the other characters involved feel about Spenser winning? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Spenser interrogates Dr. Croft.
Part 1) Why does he interrogate him? How does Dr. Croft respond to this?
Part 2) How does his response affect his life?
Part 3) Why might Dr. Croft have been involved in the activity about which Spenser interrogates him? How does he benefit from it?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)