|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Margery to have the money in a book bag?
2. When Spenser says that he wants to "rent a high-spirited palomino stallion with a hand-tooled Spanish leather saddle and silver-studded bridle", Healy does what?
3. What does Dr. Croft give Margery?
4. How does this man react when Spenser presses him for information?
5. Who is the overweight cop at the table?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Spenser tell the Bartletts he will do?
2. What is in the coffin?
3. What do Healy, Trask, and Spenser discuss?
4. What does the ransom note demand?
5. How do the Bartletts respond to the knowledge of the hearse and coffin?
6. Why does Susan call Spenser the following morning? What happens after that?
7. What does Spenser tell Susan about this case?
8. What does Spenser realize about Susan? What does he do about this? What is her response?
9. Has Kevin ever run away before?
10. What is known about Kevin at this point?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Spenser gains many clues through Vic.
Part 1) How does he encounter Vic? How does he prepare for these encounters?
Part 2) What clues does he receive through Vic? How are these clues significant?
Part 3) Are any of these clues necessary for finding Kevin? If so, which ones and why? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
Margery is known to "screw around."
Part 1) How is this hinted at early in the book?
Part 2) How does her behavior affect her family? Why might she act this way?
Part 3) Will she change now that her son has been returned? Why or why not? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Spenser interrogates Dr. Croft.
Part 1) Why does he interrogate him? How does Dr. Croft respond to this?
Part 2) How does his response affect his life?
Part 3) Why might Dr. Croft have been involved in the activity about which Spenser interrogates him? How does he benefit from it?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)