|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does he make this comparison?
(a) You have to knock people down to win.
(b) You keep returning the ball until someone makes a mistake.
(c) You have to step on some toes to be victorious.
(d) You have to try many maneuvers until you get the right one.
2. Why can Spenser not take off his white linen sport coat?
(a) He is only wearing a tee shirt underneath his coat.
(b) He is sweating too much.
(c) The gun at his waist would be very conspicuous in Smithfield.
(d) It is too cold outside to go without a coat.
3. Margery turns to Spenser who says that Kevin might not survive at all but that the odds are slightly higher with what?
(a) Spenser's intervention.
(d) Police intervention.
4. What does this girl do when she starts toward the house and sees Spenser?
(a) She glares at him and walks in the opposite direction.
(b) She goes over to him and introduces herself.
(c) She runs to the neighbor's house.
(d) She detours to the front.
5. Why does Spenser have a sandwich?
(a) He is bored.
(b) So he can share some with Margery.
(c) He is hungry.
(d) So he can observe from a bale of hay without seeming out of place.
6. When Spenser asks if anyone was home when Kevin got the guinea pig, how does Margery react?
7. What is the Labrador's name?
8. Trask says that they can set up a stakeout to catch the kidnappers. What does Spenser suggest?
(a) They give up completely.
(b) They set up a stakeout.
(c) They not catch them, but follow them to find Kevin.
(d) They search for Kevin now.
9. Is there any way for the police to track the driver of the vehicle?
10. What is on the side of the Bartletts' blue Dodge Club van?
(a) A big scratch.
(b) Bartlett Construction.
(c) A new paint job.
(d) Bartlett Realty.
11. Why does Roger not agree to getting Kevin psychiatric counseling?
(a) He does not need it.
(b) It is too expensive.
(c) It is too time consuming.
(d) Roger does not trust psychiatrists.
12. When Spenser says that he wants to "rent a high-spirited palomino stallion with a hand-tooled Spanish leather saddle and silver-studded bridle", Healy does what?
(a) Laughs at Spenser.
(b) Ignores Spenser.
(c) Interrupts and tells Spenser to shut up.
(d) Leaves the room.
13. When Susan arrives, he realizes that the name "Silverman" means what?
(a) She has changed her name.
(b) She likes silver.
(c) She is a silversmith.
(d) She is probably Jewish.
14. Describe Kevin's room.
(a) Fairly organized.
(b) Very dirty.
(c) A typical teenager's room.
(d) Obsessively neat.
15. By the time Spenser and Roger return to the kitchen, Margery is well on her way to doing what?
(a) Preparing dinner.
(b) Losing her mind.
(c) Getting drunk.
(d) Putting the groceries away.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does this man react when Spenser presses him for information?
2. Why does Spenser head back to the Bartlett home?
3. What does Spenser quickly learn about horses?
4. Spenser knows there is a man in the woods behind him. Can he see any sign of him?
5. With whom does Spenser first speak at Smithfield High School?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)