* Margery and Roger Bartlett's teenage son, Kevin, is missing, and the Smithfield Police haven't been able to find him.
* Spenser questions them about Kevin, and both parents become upset and begin bickering.
* The Bartletts continue to disagree about whether or not Kevin is a normal adolescent or one in need of therapy.
* Spenser sticks his fingers in his ears and waits until they stop the argument.
* He will not assess their parenting skills, but he needs information in order to find their son.
* Roger says that "it's only money" and writes Spenser a five hundred dollar check.
* Spenser puts it in his pocket as if he gets checks for that amount all the time.
* Spenser will go to Smithfield to talk to police, the school, and look over the neighborhood.
* Spenser arrives in Smithfield that afternoon, takes note of a neat town and the Bartletts' house...
This section contains 2,388 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)