|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chacko go to Comrade Pillai's house to discuss?
2. What causes the children's boat to overturn the night that Sophie Mol drowns?
3. What does Velutha usually wear?
4. Ammu listens to music on her_____________.
5. What is Velutha doing the night that Sophie Mol drowns?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The man with Ammu in the her dream leaves no footsteps in the sand and no ripples in the water. Who is the man? What does this mean in terms of the tragic events of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Why do the twins consider how much they are loved, whom they love, and who loves them? What are the roots of this deep-seeded need and how is it shown throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How is incest hinted at in the novel? How is it viewed? What purpose does it serve to the themes of love and belonging?
This section contains 193 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)