|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ammu tell the children she should have taken them the night they ran away with Sophie Mol?
2. What poet does Comrade Pillai's niece recite to Chacko?
3. The kathakali performs dances about what?
4. What does Rahel do as the train Estha rides pulls out of the station?
5. How many steps lead from Velutha's hut down to the river?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does this last statement in the kathakali play illuminate?: "The twins--Nakula and Sahadeva--will go untouched. But Aruna--him I will make no promises about. I will kill him, or he will kill me. One of us will die."
Essay Topic 2
What role do homecomings play in the novel? Are they positive or negative?
Essay Topic 3
How is incest hinted at in the novel? How is it viewed? What purpose does it serve to the themes of love and belonging?
This section contains 182 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)