|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Baby Kochamma is whose younger sister?
2. What about Velutha reminds Ammu of him as a child?
3. What event does Estha write about in his Wisdom Exercise Notebook?
4. What does Sohpie Mol tell Chacko about being her father?
5. Where did Rahel's father move to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ammu think about after she locks herself in the bathroom one afternoon?
2. What are the Kathakali?
3. Why did Rahel not say goodbye to Ammu on the last day she saw her mother alive?
4. How does the tragic affair between Ammu and Velutha begin?
5. What does Velutha do after he is fired from the pickle factory?
6. Why do Rahel and Estha decide to include Sophie in their games?
7. What did Rahel think had laid siege on her childhood home on Ayemenem when she saw it for the first time as an adult?
8. What happens when the police find Velutha and the twins at the History House?
9. How does Mammachi feel about her son Chacko?
10. Why does Estha go to the lobby by himself while the family is watching The Sound of Music at the Theater?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following statement: "...it really began in the days when the Love Laws were made. The laws that lay down who should be loved, and how. And how much." What were the Love Laws and which ones were broken in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How does The God of Small Things show how social, cultural, idealistic, and religious discrimination and racism run strong in all sects of the Indian society?
Essay Topic 3
What is the symbolism of the river in the novel?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)