|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Margaret Kochamma say over and over again?
2. What do the children following Rahel call her as she walks the riverside remembering her childhood?
3. What does Rahel wear to the airport to pick up Margaret and Sophie Mol?
4. What is buried under the grounds of the History House?
5. Rahel describes Sophie Mol as being ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rahel notice has become of the river that played such an important role in her childhood?
2. Why do the children plan to use the boat by the riverside?
3. Who is Baby Kochamma?
4. What does Comrade Pillai remember about Rahel and his son Lenin?
5. What does Ammu think about after she locks herself in the bathroom one afternoon?
6. How long does the affair between Ammu and Velutha last?
7. What do the twins realize about Ammu years later?
8. Describe what happens when Rahel sees Estha for the first time after twenty-three years.
9. What year is the author remembering at the beginning of Chapter 4, Abhilash Talkies?
10. Who is Velutha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author show the hypocrisy and manipulation of idealism?
Essay Topic 2
How does The God of Small Things show how social, cultural, idealistic, and religious discrimination and racism run strong in all sects of the Indian society?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the reaction the family has to Ammu's affair versus the reaction they have to Sophie's drowning. Why is one more important to the family?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)