|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Rahel contemplates what to do with the rest of her life, she wishes she and Estha could go live in Baby Kochamma's _______________.
2. What does Mombatti mean?
3. What does Rahel remember that Sophie Mol was wearing the day she arrived for a visit?
4. What does Ammu tell Estha and Rahel she will do to them if they ever embarrass her in public again like they did at the airport?
5. What is the name of the original owner of the History House estate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Estha become sick while watching The Sound of Music?
2. Why does Rahel refer to the visit of Sophie Mol as the Play?
3. Why did Rahel not say goodbye to Ammu on the last day she saw her mother alive?
4. What does Rahel remember about her mother's death?
5. What is the first memory Rahel has after she arrives at her childhood home?
6. Describe what happens to Ammu, Rahel's mother, when she leaves Ayemenem as a young woman.
7. What happens when the police find Velutha and the twins at the History House?
8. Why do the children plan to use the boat by the riverside?
9. How does Mammachi feel about her son Chacko?
10. What does Velutha do after he is fired from the pickle factory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does The God of Small Things show how social, cultural, idealistic, and religious discrimination and racism run strong in all sects of the Indian society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship of Rahel and Estha in these terms: a) Is the twins' relationship a sustaining, positive force for both of them? or b) Is the twins' relationship an unhealthy, destructive force for both of them? Use specific themes and events in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Why do the twins consider how much they are loved, whom they love, and who loves them? What are the roots of this deep-seeded need and how is it shown throughout the novel?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)