|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the cement kangaroos that fascinate Rahel at the airport?
2. Where does Rahel go when she turns eleven?
3. Where does Chacko, Rahel's uncle, study?
4. Sophie Mol vows to drink only out of what while she was in Ayemenem?
5. What does Ammu tell Rahel she wants to do so that she can get Estha back?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Ammu realize there is a special bond between Velutha and her children?
2. Describe what happens to Ammu, Rahel's mother, when she leaves Ayemenem as a young woman.
3. What is the first memory Rahel has after she arrives at her childhood home?
4. Why do Rahel and Estha decide to include Sophie in their games?
5. What does Ammu dream about the afternoon her children find her sleeping in her room?
6. Summarize what happened to Rahel in the years she has been away from Ayemenem?
7. How does the tragic affair between Ammu and Velutha begin?
8. Why does Chacko have trouble sleeping at the hotel the night before Sophie and Margaret Kochamma's arrival in India?
9. What happens when the children start to cross the river in the boat?
10. Why does Baby Kochamma force Ammu to leave the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author show the hypocrisy and manipulation of idealism?
Essay Topic 2
How does The God of Small Things show how social, cultural, idealistic, and religious discrimination and racism run strong in all sects of the Indian society?
Essay Topic 3
The twins take years to realize the part that Ammu has played in the whole tragedy. What was Ammu's role in the tragedy of the twins, Sophie Mol, and Velutha?
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)