|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pappachi is an Imperial ____________________.
2. What does Laltain mean?
3. What does Mammachi do to welcome Sophie and Margaret into her home?
(a) Smell Sophie's hands.
(b) Play the violin.
(c) Place flowers everywhere.
(d) Prepare a feast of pickles.
4. What does Velutha notice about Ammu as she watches him play with Rahel on the day Sophie Mol arrives?
(a) Her hair.
(b) Her dimples.
(c) Her ringless hand.
(d) Her laugh.
5. What are the cement kangaroos that fascinate Rahel at the airport?
(a) Trash cans.
(b) Directional signs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month is it when Rahel returns to Ayemenem at the beginning of the novel?
2. Where is Estha's favorite thinking place as a child?
3. Ammu meets the twins' father when she is visiting a cousin in what city?
4. Who does Rahel now see as an adult was the one victim of that tragic day in her childhood?
5. Where does Chacko, Rahel's uncle, study?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the family learn of Ammu's affair with Velutha and how do they react?
2. What little game do Rahel, Estha and Sophie Mol play as they get to know each other?
3. How does Velutha feel after being fired from the pickle factory?
4. How long does the affair between Ammu and Velutha last?
5. What does Rahel remember about her mother's death?
6. Describe what happens when Rahel sees Estha for the first time after twenty-three years.
7. Why do the other factory workers dislike Velutha according to Pillai?
8. Why did Rahel and Estha not see each other for twenty-three years?
9. What is the photograph of that Comrade Pillai shows to Rahel?
10. What do the twins do when they find a boat by the river?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)