|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pappachi is the son of a reverend who founds a school for the _____________.
2. What do the children do with Velutha while they play on the day Sophie dies?
(a) Play hide-and-seek.
(b) Paint his nails.
(c) Put make-up on him.
(d) Color pictures.
3. After Ammu is banished from the house, which of the following is NOT a gift she gives to Rahel when she visits?
(a) A tin Phantom pencil box.
(b) A packet of cigarette sweets.
(c) Gold serpent bangle.
(d) A Paul Bunyan comic.
4. What does Sophie Mol tell Estha and Rahel she is doing when they find her crying in the garden?
(b) Spying on Baby Kochamma.
(c) Catching spiders.
(d) Being Lonely.
5. On the first night that it hasn't rained since her return to Ayemenem, what does Rahel sit out in the garden watching?
Short Answer Questions
1. What month is it when Rahel returns to Ayemenem at the beginning of the novel?
2. Who is Baby Kochamma in love with?
3. What does Rahel realize as an adult about the way Velutha plays with the children?
4. As an adult, Rahel contemplates her future prospects. How much money does she have to her name?
5. Which character in The Sound of Music does Rahel identify with most?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the twins and Sophie play with Velutha.
2. How does Chacko end up marrying an Englishwoman?
3. How does Mammachi feel about her son Chacko?
4. How does Velutha feel after being fired from the pickle factory?
5. What happens after Rahel and Estha see the Kathakali?
6. What happens after Estha boards the train to go to his father?
7. What is life like in the Ayemenem house twenty three years after the tragedy?
8. What does Comrade Pillai remember about Rahel and his son Lenin?
9. What is the photograph of that Comrade Pillai shows to Rahel?
10. What are the Kathakali?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)