|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Sophie Mol wearing the night she drowns?
(a) A red Mickey Mouse sweatshirt.
(b) A mauve corduroy pinafore.
(c) Yellow bell-bottoms.
(d) A purple sari.
2. Ammu tells that twins that they should not wake dreaming people or else they will have what?
(a) A Heart Attack.
(b) Freed the Good Spirits.
(d) Ruined the Future.
3. Comrade Pillia holds his ____________ like a gun to Chacko's head.
4. What do the twins think Velutha's blood smells like as it comes to them on a breeze on the veranda of the History House?
(b) Old roses.
5. Who does Rahel decide is being beaten on the veranda of the History House instead of Velutha?
(a) His twin brother.
(b) His father.
6. In her dream, which of the following animals does Ammu NOT see?
(a) Sacred elephants.
(d) Red cow.
7. What poet does Comrade Pillai try to get his son Lenin to recite to Chacko?
(a) Sir Walter Scott.
(b) Emily Dickenson.
(d) E.B. White.
8. What is the name of the river that plays such an integral part in the novel?
(a) Meenachal River.
(b) Heart of Darkness.
(c) Ayemenem River.
(d) Kerala River.
9. What does Inspector Thomas give the twins to drink while he questions them at the police station?
10. What does Rahel take to the temple elephant, Kochu Thomban?
(a) Jar of pickles.
11. When she speaks to them at the police station, what does Baby Kochamma tell the twins they have to do to save Ammu?
(d) Rub her feet.
12. What is Velutha doing the night that Sophie Mol drowns?
(a) Talking to Comrade Pillai.
(c) Working in the pickle factory.
(d) Making love to Ammu.
13. Who does Ammu see in a powerful dream?
(a) Sophie Mol's body.
(b) A one-armed man.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Estha and Rahel.
14. What is the name of Comrade Pillai's wife?
15. What is the only thing Velutha is wearing as he is being beaten on the veranda of the History House?
(b) Red nail polish.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Rahel and Estha go after they search for Sophie by the river?
2. The author describes Velutha as being as lonely as a ________________.
3. Who is pleased to know that Rahel still enjoys the kathakali?
4. What kind of coupons is Baby Kochamma filling out as she sits in bed listening for Rahel and Estha?
5. How does Velutha feel as he goes to the sleep the night that Sophie Mol drowns?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)