|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Rahel and Estha go after they search for Sophie by the river?
(a) The pickle factory.
(b) The History House.
(c) Velutha's hut.
2. Who does grown up Rahel remind Estha of?
3. When does Ammu tell Estha she will see him again as he sits on the train?
(a) As soon as he finishes school.
(b) As soon as she gets a job.
(c) Month after next.
(d) In June.
4. What does Inspector Thomas give the twins to drink while he questions them at the police station?
5. What does Rahel think the temple of Kochu Thomban smells like?
6. When Margaret is a waitress at a London cafe, what does she watch Chacko put into his coffee?
(a) Strawberry jam.
(b) Two heaped spoons of sugar.
(c) A raw egg.
(d) Half a pitcher of cream.
7. What kind of coupons is Baby Kochamma filling out as she sits in bed listening for Rahel and Estha?
8. What slides into Estha that day at the police station?
9. Who is the only relative to attend Chacko's and Margaret's wedding?
(b) Margaret's mother.
10. Who does Ammu see in a powerful dream?
(a) Sophie Mol's body.
(b) Estha and Rahel.
(c) A one-armed man.
(d) Her husband.
11. What is the name of the river that plays such an integral part in the novel?
(a) Meenachal River.
(b) Ayemenem River.
(c) Heart of Darkness.
(d) Kerala River.
12. Who is Baby Kochamma still in love with years later when she is an old woman?
(b) Father Mulligan.
(c) Lord Vishnu.
(d) Comrade Pillai.
13. Who does Rahel decide is being beaten on the veranda of the History House instead of Velutha?
(a) His twin brother.
(d) His father.
14. What poet does Comrade Pillai try to get his son Lenin to recite to Chacko?
(a) Sir Walter Scott.
(c) E.B. White.
(d) Emily Dickenson.
15. What does Velutha usually wear?
(a) A factory apron.
(b) The sign of the Untouchable.
(c) A turban.
(d) A white mundu.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the toys the children brought to the History House?
2. Where does Rahel start sleeping at night after she returns to the Ayemenem house as an adult?
3. What is in Sophie Mol's bag the night the children take the boat out on the river?
4. What does Chacko love most about Margaret?
5. What does the father in the joke Chacko tells Margaret the morning he meets her at the cafe give to one of his son's as a birthday present?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)